Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Installed Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 12:46 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer Installed Remote Start

I just called Palatine Acura and asked them if they can install a remote start. They said they have someone who comes in and does it. I thought this was good news until they told me the price. They want $460.00 for the work. Now wait, there has to be something more then just the remote start. Nope not true, you just get the remote start with no added protection to your security. Now I find this crazy. The only pro was that it would still be covered under warranty. Anyone else have any suggestions or another local dealer willing to do it cheaper? Always giving out points for good suggestions.

P.S. Remote Start is a must in Chicago Winters
Old 10-21-2004, 01:06 PM
Burning Brakes

It's a big expensive, but cover under warrenty is always good. I would just do it if you MUST need a remote starter for the WINTER. Last week, I called my delaership and asked how much it would cost for a set of 4 "RAIN GUARDS", and they wanted $266 plus $48 installation fee for 4 piece of plastic?!?!?! I'm sure the starter cost nothing more than $100...but choice is up to you. I would do it if I were you
Old 10-21-2004, 01:09 PM
On the way!

Hey John, I grew up in Palatine. I graduated from Fremd HS up there!
Old 10-21-2004, 01:14 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Originally Posted by fla-tls
Hey John, I grew up in Palatine. I graduated from Fremd HS up there!

That's crazy, my girlfriend use to go to that school. What a small world.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:33 PM
Advanced

I drive a 2nd Generation and got a remote start added by a local shop that installs aftermarket parts. I works great and no problems at all and it cost half that price.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
here's a thing about remote start... with our cars, our keys have a chip.... so they would have to take one of your keys, pull out the chip and place it somewhere in your car... if someone were to break into your car, get the ignition going, your car is gone...
Old 10-21-2004, 02:01 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Originally Posted by cTLgo
here's a thing about remote start... with our cars, our keys have a chip.... so they would have to take one of your keys, pull out the chip and place it somewhere in your car... if someone were to break into your car, get the ignition going, your car is gone...

That's a good point, Anyone else have any experience with this.

Do you think that's the reason behind the high price?
Old 10-21-2004, 05:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
The reason I believe the price would be high is its being facilitated through the dealer. Dealer costs are high, and I'm sure they're getting some cut back for recommending a particular installer.

J Ride, I know there's a place in Roselle called Redline Auto or Redline Sound, on the corner of Roselle and Nerge (by elgin ohare expressway), they are a after market shop that does a lot of audio/video installs and most likely alarm systems. I know for a fact they have worked on a 3rd gen TL, adding video to the navi screen so their knowledgable about the car and definetly worked on 1 if not more. I have seen TLs parked outside their garage bay all the time. I wish I had the number, but I'm sure you could look it up in the yellow pages.

Give them a call and see what they could do for you or suggest. Good luck!
Old 10-21-2004, 05:47 PM
.:HALCÓN DE LA NOCHE:.

If you decide to add the remote starter, what functions from the key fob will you lose, if any?
Old 10-21-2004, 06:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cTLgo
Not if it's done right. DEI has a bypass module that should be installed with the remote start. It only bypasses the car's protection when the remote start is starting the car.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:57 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

Originally Posted by xristos
If you decide to add the remote starter, what functions from the key fob will you lose, if any?
I don't believe you will lose anything. Everything will still be functionable.

Thanks Ctlgo, I'll look into it and let you know.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:24 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You lose all functions when in remote start mode. To test, turn your car on and try and use your key fob.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:30 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by spyfish007
You lose all functions when in remote start mode. To test, turn your car on and try and use your key fob.
You're absolutely right!
I have the remote starter in my car and thought that it was the starter that disabled my ability to unlock the doors with the remote after I started it. After I read your post, I realize that you're right....It's normal for the remote functions NOT to work when the car is already on.

Before I start the car, I still have full functionality on my remote keyfob.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:51 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brokedoc
You're absolutely right!
I have the remote starter in my car and thought that it was the starter that disabled my ability to unlock the doors with the remote after I started it. After I read your post, I realize that you're right....It's normal for the remote functions NOT to work when the car is already on.

Before I start the car, I still have full functionality on my remote keyfob.
With that being said I have two other thoughts for you. Once you remote start the car you can't shut down the remote start unless you get in the car. Most remote start systems you can shut it down with the remote. However since the remote is locked out you can't!

The second thought is about an experiment I performed. I pulled the IGN wire from the harness that plugs into the keyless module. When I did this I tried to start the car and use the transmitter. It didn't work. It was almost as if the module is unplugged it has to see the IGN signal to start working. I do have a follow-up expermient to see if I can trick the system. However I am not too optimistic. I am thinking that both the keyless module and the door lock module (it is the master for the doors/windows/etc) both look at the IGN signal. I think the keyless module might not put out a signal and I think the door lock module might ignor signals with a hot IGN wire. I haven't had an opportunity to put a oscilliscope on the data bus to see what the traffic is. Maybe oneday. I would like to put a relay on the IGN going to the keyless module and flip the relay during remote start mode to keep the keyless module from seeing the IGN and therefore keep the key fob working.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by spyfish007
With that being said I have two other thoughts for you. Once you remote start the car you can't shut down the remote start unless you get in the car. Most remote start systems you can shut it down with the remote. However since the remote is locked out you can't!

The second thought is about an experiment I performed. I pulled the IGN wire from the harness that plugs into the keyless module. When I did this I tried to start the car and use the transmitter. It didn't work. It was almost as if the module is unplugged it has to see the IGN signal to start working. I do have a follow-up expermient to see if I can trick the system. However I am not too optimistic. I am thinking that both the keyless module and the door lock module (it is the master for the doors/windows/etc) both look at the IGN signal. I think the keyless module might not put out a signal and I think the door lock module might ignor signals with a hot IGN wire. I haven't had an opportunity to put a oscilliscope on the data bus to see what the traffic is. Maybe oneday. I would like to put a relay on the IGN going to the keyless module and flip the relay during remote start mode to keep the keyless module from seeing the IGN and therefore keep the key fob working.
You lost me in your second paragraph but when I get into the car and lock the doors twice with the lock switch on the door, the remote start kicks in just as if I were pressing the lock twice on my keyfob to active the remote start.