Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Customization and Leasing

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 10:36 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Customization and Leasing

I'm leasing a 2004 TL and have some questions that hopefully some of you can answer for me that have been through a lease before. My main question concerns making customizations to a car that's leased. How does Acura care about them when returning a car after the lease is up?

I'm not talking about major things like exhaust, intake, etc. I want to paint my brake calipers and possibly put on a non-Acura spoiler. I remember when I got the car in December 2003 I asked the salesman about it. He said that as long as it was Acura stuff, they didn't care.

So, if this stuff increases the value of the car, what do they care? Any money I put into the car now would be lost when I turn it in, which I'm ok with. I guess I could always buy the car after the lease, but I don't know if I'll want something new then. I also don't think I'll want to buy the car because it's been in an accident. It was fixed by the place the dealer uses, so I'm not worried about quality or anything like that, just the fact that it's been in an accident.

What does everyone think? Thanks.

Joe
Old 03-06-2005, 11:31 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, who are you leasing your car through?

Some company have a guide line saying return the car as it was, or you'll have to pay to get it back to the original. Most leasing company will care if it's body related.

At the auction: By having the spoiler people might think it was raced so they might avoid the car. Reduce the cost. who knows....

If your mod can come off at the end, you can do it.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Keep your original parts just in case it becomes an issue. I've leased cars since 1987 and the only mod I've ever made to any of them is tinting the windows which has never been a problem. Make sure you understand your particular company's guidelines on what's acceptable, what's not, and the ramifications at lease end.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jhan1102
First, who are you leasing your car through?

Some company have a guide line saying return the car as it was, or you'll have to pay to get it back to the original. Most leasing company will care if it's body related.

At the auction: By having the spoiler people might think it was raced so they might avoid the car. Reduce the cost. who knows....

If your mod can come off at the end, you can do it.
I'm leasing through American Honda.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Racer

This is probably a dumb question, but I guess if I plan on buying the car at the end of the lease term it doesn't matter what I do to the car, right?

Joe
Old 03-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All leasing companies I've dealt with have the same policy: You need to call or write for approval. Get it in writing. To do any work without their written approval is plain foolishness.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by quake97
This is probably a dumb question, but I guess if I plan on buying the car at the end of the lease term it doesn't matter what I do to the car, right?

Joe
Basically this is true... (I've had 3 leased cars I've turned in and never had any problems... Especially since I stayed with Honda/Acura.)
Old 03-07-2005, 10:28 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by JasonH
All leasing companies I've dealt with have the same policy: You need to call or write for approval. Get it in writing. To do any work without their written approval is plain foolishness.
Pretty much agreed... But minor things will not be a problem that I have seen (obvisouly this could differ depending on the inspector at end of lease)

1. Tint - I don't think they'll care at all. At worst, take it off.
2. Rear sway bar - There isn't ANY WAY they are gonna get under there and look and even notice the difference. You could leace it there. If I turn mine in at end of lease, I will remove the comptech RSB and replace with the stock one I have tucked away. I will then sell the comptech one on ebay and recoup a couple bucks.
3. LED/Bulb upgrades - Probably won't care unless you've completely blue-d your car to the max! Mt 2 blue doors and bright whites inside - they aren't gonna care. At worst, put your old bulbs back in (WHICH YOU ALL SAVED RIGHT!)
4. Add-on lip spoiler. As long as it looks factory, I feel confident that noone is going to care. NOW, that being said, if you have the triple wing vader carbon fiber job, they aren't gonna like that! (Not to mention the holes you had to drill in your trunk deck!)
5. CAI/Supercharger... While the inspectors have never looked under my hood in my past 3 inspections (other than briefly possible) I think it is safe to say that these things are NONO's to a leased car you wanna turn back in. Before inspection and turn in, remove and return to stock setup.

My
Old 03-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Racer

I agree with removing the sway bar, I would totally do that. I learned that lesson when I traded in my Monte Carlo to get the TL. I should have removed the aftermarket spoiler and after market chip. I could have sold them and made some money back.

My concern then comes down to painting the brake calipers. Maybe I'll just skip it, not worth the hassle if they make me replace them when I turn it in. I'm sure four new calipers ain't cheap.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.

Joe
Old 03-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by quake97
I agree with removing the sway bar, I would totally do that. I learned that lesson when I traded in my Monte Carlo to get the TL. I should have removed the aftermarket spoiler and after market chip. I could have sold them and made some money back.

My concern then comes down to painting the brake calipers. Maybe I'll just skip it, not worth the hassle if they make me replace them when I turn it in. I'm sure four new calipers ain't cheap.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.

Joe
I'll be painting mine too... Good question on that one. Never really gave it a second thought. I still plan on doing it... (push comes to shove, repaint them silver before turn in!)