3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom 4 and 6 piston Big Brake Kit for Front and Rear (04-05TL) - Feeler Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 02:31 PM
Silky Smooth

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Arrow Custom 4 and 6 piston Big Brake Kit for Front and Rear (04-05TL) - Feeler Thread

First off, moderators I have permission from Astroboy to post this thread

I have a company that I am working closely with that has already designed big brake kits for all previous generation TL's, rl's, nsx's, and rsx's. They have over hundreds of different brake kits available, and I contacted them about a year ago about building a custom big brake kit for our tl. I immediately let them know about acurazine, and that I wanted to do a group buy for all the members here, and try to get a rear big brake kit as well. I have a custom bbk being made from them, painted White Diamond Pearl, and with screen printing of the Acura Text going on all 4 calipers in the process of being built right now. My set-up is 4 piston all around and all these components are made by Wilwood.

Here is a picture of a complete kit using the superlite 4 piston calipers that will be used, performance wise these brake kits are specifically designed, tested, and built for the main reason of making a superior enhancement to the vehicle. Once things get rolling, the company will come to acurazine, and give everyone all the information they could possibly want to know about the brake kits.

This thread has one purpose to see if there is interest in a set of big brake kits for the 04 TL. The company will be looking at this specific thread to see if there is enough interest for them to become a sponsored vendor of acurazine, and offer us even better pricing. Here are some rough estimates that I can guarantee for you, but still are vague enough to not piss off the moderators.

We will have a 4 piston, 6 piston and 2 piston set-up. Prices will all be significantly lower than if you were going with a brembo, stoptech or even rotora kit.

Powder coating of any color and screen printing of the Acura text on the calipers which includes the removal of all Wilwood text will be done at a price of $300. That's the only price I can guarantee and will post in this thread.

ALL THESE KITS will include everything needed to install, also all the prices will be equal across a board, if this company becomes a sponsored vendor, they will offer brake kits for every Acura vehicle on this forum, and the prices will be equal across the board

Includes slotted/drilled rotors, stainless brake lines, brake pads, EVERYTHING

Dynalite Calipers, Kit will be much less than the Superlites with these.

Superlite 4 Piston Calipers

(Best performance and aesthetic option for the car)

Superlite 6 piston Calipers

The superlite 6 piston kit is for those that want large 13 inch or even 14 inch brake kits, they will hurt slightly on the dyno from my sources, but they are for aesthetics, but still offer superior stopping power and less fading.

Please Post if you would purchase this kit or be seriously interested in it, if it was available as a group buy on these forums.

The rear kit pricing will be identical to the front; discounts will be given if you order all 4 wheels. I cannot answer any more questions about price, availability or anything like that out of respect for the other vendors and the acurazine moderators. However if you have performance questions, I can answer those.

Fitz
Old 07-14-2005, 02:39 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 642 Likes on 284 Posts
looks like pretty awesome stuff Lokius, hopefully it's brought to Market!

I know the Brembo kit I added to my 2002 TL-S made a WORLD of difference.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:43 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
$600 - the "discount" for buying all 4 sounds like a good deal for a brake upgrade.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:49 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
This kit deserves consideration. I may be interested once performance numbers and pricing come out
Old 07-14-2005, 02:53 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I like the idea of a matched front and rear set!
Old 07-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HIGHLY INTERESTED... Come February I had planned to purchase a nicer looking brake system since my 19s are bieng color matched to my anthracite. Put me down for consideration.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:57 PM
Young Fresh 2 Def

I like, I like.......can't wait to see some performance numbers and prices.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:29 PM
Silky Smooth

I went with wilwood for the best balance of value and performance, these brakes are going to be the best deal possible, and also the only rear big brake kit option besides a custom kit from stoptech or a retrofitted brembo gt kit that will cost you around $2-3k. Alot of people dont like the wilwood logo, and that is why we came up with the acura screen printing, you can get your brakes to look similiar to the oem 6 speeds, or even an amazing metallic silver like AMG brakes.

Metallic Silver, anthracite, white diamond pearl, and more will be offered in teh color department for the brakes like i mentioned.

As far as performance from what I have seen expect equal or better than Rotora. 13 inch rotors for the 4 piston and 6 piston, with the option of larger rotors.

If you were to purchase teh rear and front BBK in 4 piston or 6 piston, you are looking at about teh same cost of jsut the brembo bbk for the front.

Group buy pricing will work like this,

A discounted group buy price for just one person (this is if you go completely custom)
A bigger discount for 3 or more people
A huge discount for 5 or more people

If we can get more than 5 people jumping on the kit at a time, we will be getting the parts at slightly over cost, minus the cost of the powdercoating and screen printing the acura text.

The company really wants to work with acurazine, and if there are things you want in this brake kit, please feel free to let us know now, while we are still in development.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:47 PM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

Don't know if I'll have the money to buy a kit, but this is trully a good idea. Our car's rear brakes are too small. My car has the brembos up front, but the stock pads are too soft for autoX/track. Wilwood make good parts. to Lokius for trying this.

I got a question: If wanted, can the kit be fitted with a slotted only disk, without the huge holes (they seem to be about 1" in diameter) near the hat bolts ???
Old 07-14-2005, 03:51 PM
Silky Smooth

Originally Posted by 6speedv6
Don't know if I'll have the money to buy a kit, but this is trully a good idea. Our car's rear brakes are too small. My car has the brembos up front, but the stock pads are too soft for autoX/track. Wilwood make good parts. to Lokius for trying this.

I got a question: If wanted, can the kit be fitted with a slotted only disk, without the huge holes (they seem to be about 1" in diameter) near the hat bolts ???
Yeah dont worry, that set-up is for the rally cars, those holes wont be there for modern brake kits for our cars. And you can get drilled/slotted rotors, or just slotted or just drilled, whatever you want.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
wouldn't mind adding a rear kit to complement my factory brembos
Old 07-14-2005, 04:02 PM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

Talking

Originally Posted by cTLgo
wouldn't mind adding a rear kit to complement my factory brembos
Yeah, what he said.

Another small question to Lokius: I track the car (road course) at least twice per year, and maybe some 1/4 mile runs. This kit is intended for either all show or all go TL owners. Is there any need for track testing this setup ??? I would not mind doing a small documentd test of stock vs. wilwood brakes with my car at the track. You can even post all results on Acurazine (or any other website Wilwood desires).
Old 07-14-2005, 04:08 PM
Silky Smooth

6speedv6 let me discuss this with the company and see what we can work out. If you track your car with the stock brakes, you will be more than fine doing it with the wilwood components. However there may be some other parts that would do the job better than what I have posted here. Perhaps different brake pads, calipers and rotors as well. I will make sure i keep you in the loop, so you are interested in just the rear since you have the brembos correct.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:29 PM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

Originally Posted by Lokius
6speedv6 let me discuss this with the company and see what we can work out. If you track your car with the stock brakes, you will be more than fine doing it with the wilwood components. However there may be some other parts that would do the job better than what I have posted here. Perhaps different brake pads, calipers and rotors as well. I will make sure i keep you in the loop, so you are interested in just the rear since you have the brembos correct.
Yes. I am currently waiting to get new rear rotors to replace all 4 discs (fronts have warped twice in 24k miles) and put Hawk HPS pads all arround.

The idea would be to compare results in stopping distance from 60 and 80 mph and fade resistance like this:

Brembo front / stock rear (baseline)
Brembo front / Wilwood rear
Wilwood front / stock rear
Wilwood front and rear

The only true measure of enhanced brake performance is faster times arround a track. I even know some instructors that can drive the car in timed laps.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a great idea Loki, i never heard of Wilwood which car owners commonly buy from them? I think the BMW MB guys choose brembo? The rotor up above looks hot! i like the silver drilled slotted rotor look except for those 1" holes.

Currently im not intrested in upgrading my brakes since im happy as it is, but i would be intrested in replacing my rotors like the one pictured, is that possible?
Old 07-14-2005, 04:55 PM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
Looks like a great idea Loki, i never heard of Wilwood which car owners commonly buy from them? I think the BMW MB guys choose brembo? The rotor up above looks hot! i like the silver drilled slotted rotor look except for those 1" holes.

Currently im not intrested in upgrading my brakes since im happy as it is, but i would be intrested in replacing my rotors like the one pictured, is that possible?
The World knows Brembo - they are Italian made an suppliers for F1 and LeMans type of racers.
Wilwood and Baer are the most common upgrades for American made cars.
AEM, Rotora and Stoptech are well known for import cars.

There are more, but those are the ones I know of.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
I like the look of those rotors, and four piston f/r is good enough, no need for the 6 piston.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:30 PM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
what/where is this company located?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:42 PM
Silky Smooth

This company is located in the United States, that's about as much as I can say right now.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:38 PM
21st Century Geek...

I digg'em.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:12 AM
Comptech Freak

I got the Wilwood Superlite 6 piston BBK on my 2nd Gen TL, and all i can say is

it comes with a 13" rotor and it fits well under my 17" wheels

they do make a huge difference on the track, but street wise you won't keep hard braking so it doesn't really have a difference

this is a narrow type one so it fits our rims, but use a thinner brake pad (16mm vs 20mm)

Old 07-15-2005, 12:17 AM
Comptech Freak

btw

the 6 pistons one uses a smaller pistons than the 4 pistons models, but 6 pistons gives more control overall and a slightly more piston surface area

the dynalite is ok, but i recommend superlite 4 pistons or 6 pistons on our TL since our car is a bit too heavy, and provides more control over dynalite

the dynalite series works well with Integra and RSX
Old 07-15-2005, 02:45 AM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
hey sam, by narrow are you referencing the thickness of the rotor? I can see this making sense in order to have the caliper clearing your rims without spacers and why would you need thinner brake pads? sorry, new to the brake upgrades so have to ask if I plan on dropping a few g's. either way, i'm interested. looks too damn good!

i agree. the superlites look much more robust and suitable for our TLs.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will wait for the 8 piston setup....
Old 07-15-2005, 09:15 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Brettg
how about 10 piston? or even 12? hahaha
Old 07-15-2005, 09:30 AM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by special-ed
hey sam, by narrow are you referencing the thickness of the rotor? I can see this making sense in order to have the caliper clearing your rims without spacers and why would you need thinner brake pads? sorry, new to the brake upgrades so have to ask if I plan on dropping a few g's. either way, i'm interested. looks too damn good!

i agree. the superlites look much more robust and suitable for our TLs.
it's because to clear the 17" wheel with a high offset, therefore it's slimmer and smaller, so it has to use to 7416 type pads
Old 07-15-2005, 03:33 PM
Silky Smooth

More information about the brakes coming, as well as templates..

Please post if you havent and you are interested in this brake kit. Thanks

Fitz
Old 07-15-2005, 03:45 PM
SC+TL= maddness

count me in for the big brake kit... i was lookin for the front and back... cant wait...
Old 07-16-2005, 05:24 PM
Silky Smooth

Group Buy Pricing will of course bring these brake kits down in price. Right now we are planning on bringing the front kit to the market first. With 4 and 6 piston options in the Superlite calipers. Prices much lower than Rotora as well..

These are calipers that will and can be used with our 13 or 14 inch brake kit
Old 07-17-2005, 10:51 PM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
I hope its not Brakezone...Some people on this forum have had bad experiences with them..just checking, thats all...I would def be interested in a kit for my gen2 though..
Old 07-18-2005, 12:01 AM
Cruisin'

I would like more info on the company and when all four wheel kits will be ready got to be sure that these are of good standards cant go cheap on brakes and please show numbers when you get them thanks
Old 07-18-2005, 12:23 AM
Silky Smooth

no, brakezone is not making these brakes. The 4 wheel kit should be ready by mid august, that is built and ready to go. The company is still looking at the forum to check the interest, so please continue to post.

Thanks

Fitz
Old 07-18-2005, 02:53 AM
Instructor

imo, big brake kits such as these are usually just for "show". you will not need to upgrade brakes unless you are running an R compound tire(which is illegal for the streets) or you road race your car and you are getting a lot of brake fade.

you do not need a new brake system unless your pads are not good enough to lock up ur tires. go out and drive 50 mph and make sure there isnt any body behind u and slam on ur brakes as hard as u can. you should hear an audibly sound even if ur ABS is working.

if you want this for show, go ahead and get it, but it will not help your braking distances. if you want better braking, get stickier tires. if your driving only in the summer, look at falken azenis rt-615. if you have money, advan a048's are really sticky tires, but they will not last long and they are ONLY for dry driving conditions. do not expect to grip with these tires in the rain. bridgestone potenza s03's are also great tires.

p.s. i am not a big fan of wilwood because of their limited pad compatibility. look at other brands of calipers(even tho i think the stock 2 piston brembo's that come on manual TL's are sufficient) because with wilwood calipers, you will only be able to use their pads and their pads might not suit your driving conditions. some pads wont work until they are heated up to a high temperature. some will squeak A LOT. some will eat away at ur rotors.

brakes dont stop ur car, tires do.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brettg

will you be autoxing and road racing your car? if not, the 8 piston or any of these calipers wont even help you. they give you bigger bite, but as i stated earlier, without r compounds, these calipers will do nothing. your stock rotors can lock up your wheels.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:59 AM
Silky Smooth

Originally Posted by empathy

Tires help braking signifigantly, but it's still the brakes that stop a car. And I have seen lots of big brake kits that have helped the performance of a vehicle, when they were designed mainly for looks.

Yes this kit is mainly for looks, but isn't that the whole point? We are driving a FWD car, a heavy car as well. Wheels make this thing look amazing, and by the preference for the brembo calipers on the manual, It's obvious that brakes make this car look even better. Alot of the stuff you have said only applies to certain wilwood components, the stuff we are using are the components that have been tested to more efficient and cost effective, any brake kit this company sells isnt going to hurt your vehicle, but add to it both from looks and performance.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:00 AM
Safety Car

i think most people that are interested in the brakes are just in it for the looks and most of them are probably AT TL's which don't have the brembos. i agree with the thing about the pads and not having much compatibilty with other brands.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:23 PM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

Originally Posted by empathy
imo, big brake kits such as these ...
...(even tho i think the stock 2 piston brembo's that come on manual TL's are sufficient) ...

2 piston Brembos???. FYI, they are 4 piston. Well, my car has the Brembos. I am running Hawk HPS pads (front & rear, which are better that the stocks) and the system has ATE Blue brake fluid in them. The tires I have used are the stock Potenzas, which have a TW rating of 140 and I cannot lock'em up braking really hard from 125mph with the ABS disconnected.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:58 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 6speedv6
2 piston Brembos???. FYI, they are 4 piston. Well, my car has the Brembos. I am running Hawk HPS pads (front & rear, which are better that the stocks) and the system has ATE Blue brake fluid in them. The tires I have used are the stock Potenzas, which have a TW rating of 140 and I cannot lock'em up braking really hard from 125mph with the ABS disconnected.
first off going 125 and trying to lock the brakes is kinda hard for any braking system. the brembos are designed to give consistent braking performance under repeated braking and not really provide super hard bite on the brakes. if you try from a slower speed i am sure you will be able to lock the wheels. next i doubt the wilwood would be able to lock the wheels at 125mph. i think that the performance will actually degrade a bit for anyone going from the stock brembos to wilwoods. most people modding and tuning cars on forums agree that wilwood's are one of the poorer performing brake systems. that is why you do not see them used that often and hence also the price difference(you get what you pay for).
Old 07-18-2005, 05:17 PM
Comptech Freak

i will doubt the kit will beat rotora's 1300 USD mark, my guess should be around 1500

the calipers alone are 300 each, not including rotors and hats and pads and brakelines, and also the brackets

even as a package it is hard to do 1300 with a 13" rotor
Old 07-18-2005, 05:21 PM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

Originally Posted by caball88
first off going 125 and trying to lock the brakes is kinda hard for any braking system. the brembos are designed to give consistent braking performance under repeated braking and not really provide super hard bite on the brakes. if you try from a slower speed i am sure you will be able to lock the wheels. next i doubt the wilwood would be able to lock the wheels at 125mph. i think that the performance will actually degrade a bit for anyone going from the stock brembos to wilwoods. most people modding and tuning cars on forums agree that wilwood's are one of the poorer performing brake systems. that is why you do not see them used that often and hence also the price difference(you get what you pay for).
Well, yeah. Like from 25 mph when it's 40 degrees .

I know from experience that Brembos are very consistent. I also know the factory pads are too soft. Actually, when braking from 125, the pads bite harder in the 110-70 mph range. Why? Because they grip more after 2-4 seconds of work, when the start getting really hot. I also know that they start loosing grip from 70-50 mph, when they are going from really hot to too much really smoking hot, and fade becomes a big issue, and which is really near the lock-up range. That is when a system like the one offered here might come in handy. My point is that even with better pads and better fluid, I still can use more heat resistance, even on street tires.

I am almost sure that this is attainable with a slightly bigger, slotted rotor and better rear system (where our cars really fall short), which is the intention of this thread. It is really simple. For sure, You might get a "better" setup for MORE money. I say that untill someone provide this community with such an option, this IS the only and best option at the moment for serious brake upgrades.

Then, even if someone can provide other options, it is a matter of taste AND value. Even then, we would need a long term comparison to really see which components last longer, when asked to perform similarly. And that does not even takes care of the "coordinated" package issue.

This is an interes thread. Let's keep it like that. Just start a "What I think of W brakes" thread for the opinions.

Quick Reply: Custom 4 and 6 piston Big Brake Kit for Front and Rear (04-05TL) - Feeler Thread