Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curt hitch experience / opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 07:22 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curt hitch experience / opinions?

I'm in the process of buying a 2004 TL and know that I will need a hitch installed (for bike rack). Yeah, I know "a hitch defaces the TL!" - yada, yada, yada.

Anyway, I'm inclined to order the Curt hitch instead of Hidden Hitch or Insta-Hitch since it requires drilling through the bumper instead of into the trunk pan. Call me crazy, but I'm just not as comfortable drilling holes into the car interior.

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-H~11321.h...cleid=20046349

So, I'm wondering if anyone out there has experience with the Curt hitch and can answer a couple questions:

1) Is the cross-beam visible below the bumper facia? I think it's supposed to be hidden, but I'd like confirmation on this, since it *seems* like it would extend lower.

2) Does installation require cutting out part of the underside of the bumper facia? The instructions claim that this may be necessary, but I'm wondering if it actually is or not.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
It's a No-No

Umm, Acura says not to tow anything. It's not rated for towing anything.

As for a mount for bicycles -that's not towing.

But after more than 4 years on this forum I have never heard of someone installing a hitch.

Doesn't mean it can't be done. It's just very rare.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:10 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Xpditor

But after more than 4 years on this forum I have never heard of someone installing a hitch.

I cringed a bit when I saw it but I have seen one driving around my town with a small receiver style hitch. And yep, he had a bike rack w/bike on her.

Have no other data about the hitch other than that "sighting." So I would agree, its rare but definitely can/has been done. :-)

Best of luck OP
Old 04-06-2008, 08:59 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Xpditor

Yeah, I realize it's pretty rare -- and I definitely understand that it's not advised to tow anything (I won't).

There are definitely a number of threads about hitches in the past, but none that actually reviewed this particular model. I think most people were discussing the Hidden Hitch or Insta-Hitch models.

I saw one user had mentioned getting this Curt hitch, but I wasn't able to PM them to get more info.

Anyway, thanks for the responses; hopefully someone has had experience with this. I think I will contact the hitch mfr and see if they can comment on the exact installation on the TL.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:52 AM
'06 6MT WDP

There are a lot of people on here who have installed hitches and there are a bunch of threads.

I went with the 1 1/4" Drawtite which is similar to the hidden hitch to haul my bike. It attaches to the tow hook and then two holes in the trunck with carriage bolts. Drilling into the trunk floor pan is no big deal. Use blue RTV sealant on under the washers on both sides of the hole. Nothing will get in there. Plus you have the black plastic shroud that keeps water away from there anyway.

You can barely see the hitch from the back.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:59 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Mike 06 TL
There are a lot of people on here who have installed hitches and there are a bunch of threads.

I went with the 1 1/4" Drawtite which is similar to the hidden hitch to haul my bike. It attaches to the tow hook and then two holes in the trunck with carriage bolts. Drilling into the trunk floor pan is no big deal. Use blue RTV sealant on under the washers on both sides of the hole. Nothing will get in there. Plus you have the black plastic shroud that keeps water away from there anyway.

You can barely see the hitch from the back.

Thanks for the encouragement on the trunk-drilling. -- and thanks for the sealant recommendation; I wasn't sure what sealant should be used there. Ok, I'll go that route if you've had good experience. The drawtite is definitley less expensive anyway!

I'll do as you did (I believe) and cut the black plastic liner to refit it after hitch install.

Thanks all -
Old 04-07-2008, 07:29 PM
'06 6MT WDP

Originally Posted by torxteer
Thanks for the encouragement on the trunk-drilling. -- and thanks for the sealant recommendation; I wasn't sure what sealant should be used there. Ok, I'll go that route if you've had good experience. The drawtite is definitley less expensive anyway!

I'll do as you did (I believe) and cut the black plastic liner to refit it after hitch install.

Thanks all -
Yea, for the plastic liner all you have to do is make two cuts with a razor knife right where the hitch interferes. You don't actually have to remove any plastic. Just make two slits with the distance between equal in width to the hitch and you create a flap of sorts that fits snugly against it.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by torxteer

Thanks all -
Definitely go for it. I put a hitch on my wife's 07 TSX (a much more complicated job than the TL install) for the bike rack and a small utility trailer. I gave up on pickups about 9 years ago and have had a hitch on my (or her) daily driver ever since (99 Audi A6 Avant, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 05 Subaru WRX). Although none of our cars where what would probably be the first thing that might come to mind when you think of towing, they all did a great job, and I'm sure the TL will too.