Sponsored by:

Curious question about power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Curious question about power steering fluid

So here's the story...

The dealer had my car about 2 - 3 weeks ago to fix the idler pulley TSB (07 base) which entails removing the serpentine belt.

About a week ago, I noticed a weird whine/buzzing whenever i get to 2000 rpm. I checked all the heat shields including the intermediate shaft shield and those all appear fine. While i was under the car, I noticed some oil on the passenger side towards the front bumper. So I remove some of the shroud in the engine bay and found the power steering reservoir sitting next to my serpentine belt. It appears the tech forgot to put it back into its proper place, and it had been left loose, with the belt rubbing on it.

The reservoir was just above the min line and fluid was all over the belt, pulleys, etc. There is a gash on the reservoir where the belt was rubbing on it.

I put the reservoir back in its holder and took the car for a drive, but the noise is still there.

Could power steering fluid on the belt and pulleys have caused any damage that is making the noise? For instance, did it damage any bearings etc?

Taking it back to the dealer tomorrow to show them, but would really like to know what you guys think. By the way, my dealer has really been good and I realize that mistakes happen, so I don't want to bash the dealer.

Thanks alot.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
Shouldn't damage any of the pulleys.

I'd have them clean off the belt or just pressure wash that area.

Last edited by SpiderX1016; 01-10-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:31 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
They should probably replace the reseviour as well since it's damaged. It's a pretty low-cost item, so it shouldn't be a big deal.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by allin
So here's the story...

The dealer had my car about 2 - 3 weeks ago to fix the idler pulley TSB (07 base) which entails removing the serpentine belt.

About a week ago, I noticed a weird whine/buzzing whenever i get to 2000 rpm. I checked all the heat shields including the intermediate shaft shield and those all appear fine. While i was under the car, I noticed some oil on the passenger side towards the front bumper. So I remove some of the shroud in the engine bay and found the power steering reservoir sitting next to my serpentine belt. It appears the tech forgot to put it back into its proper place, and it had been left loose, with the belt rubbing on it.

The reservoir was just above the min line and fluid was all over the belt, pulleys, etc. There is a gash on the reservoir where the belt was rubbing on it.

I put the reservoir back in its holder and took the car for a drive, but the noise is still there.

Could power steering fluid on the belt and pulleys have caused any damage that is making the noise? For instance, did it damage any bearings etc?

Taking it back to the dealer tomorrow to show them, but would really like to know what you guys think. By the way, my dealer has really been good and I realize that mistakes happen, so I don't want to bash the dealer.

Thanks alot.
I think most power steering fluids are petroleum based; this means they are generally not good for rubber belts. Modern belts have advanced rubber composites that are oil resistant, but it could be that the fluid found its way to the contact (ribbed for your car's pleasure) side of the belt. Check the contact side of the belt to see if it is shiny. A shiny belt can sometimes be the result of slipping and that is never good (and can cause all manners of noises). Either way you should take it to the dealer and point out the mess they've caused since most state laws would find them at fault.

http://www.gatesprograms.com/beltwear/inspection

You should also check to see if the belt needs replacement anyway.