3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO 07 TL-S experience, 4.5k miles later....

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 20 Posts
CPO 07 TL-S experience, 4.5k miles later....

Hi fellow 3Gers,
I know this is a busy forum and one that I consulted before purchasing my 07 TL-S. I have put 4.5k miles since buying the car and I feel it is incumbent upon me to write this review for the short time that I have had it. I see that a lot of these car are coming off lease and there may be many prospective TL-S owners wanting to know first hand experiences.
--->First off, I hated the first 1500 miles of ownership. It was a nightmare. I was coming from a VQ35DE with amazing power across the powerband and smooth acceleration. The reason for the trade was failure of a lot of suspension components repeatedly. The problem that I consistently had with my TL-S was a vibration at 1500-1800 RPM in 5th gear at around 60-70mph. This was resolved after 2-3 dealer visits and a call to Acura that lead to the regional rep stepping in and a change of the rear motor mount. Since then the problem has been solved 80% and this car drives like advertised. I had driven from Boston to Chicago( a total of 1100miles-with a detour to NJ). It was one of the most comfortable drives I have had. Amazing passing power. Smooth as butter. Feels like it is on rails, without sacrificing comfort(something that the replacement KYB GR2 and eibach springs did not provide on my VQ35DE). I then drove another 1400 miles to and from Mackinac island, Upper peninsula, MI. I would highly recommend that drive especially in the fall. The car again performed to potential without a glitch. The rest of the miles have been in the city in Chicago and Northern Indiana.
-->City driving could have been better in the sense that the car feels slightly underpowered at low RPMs, it could have done with a little more torque lower down. Something that I miss from the VQ35DE. Someone can prove me wrong by posting dyno graphs for both engines. Also at lower speeds the steering is very heavy. Heavier than the Z and a STI that I drove. This could have been dialed back a bit. Michelin tires are crap. I will be looking at a different brand when it comes to that.
-->Average MPG reads 24mpg at average speed of 35mph.
--->Tire pressure is recommended at 35psi for front and 32psi for back. I felt the ride was much better at about 33psi for front and 30psi for the back. This is very subjective however.
--->>RATTLES: Overall very satisfied. Very few if any and these seem to come and go. The only consistent one is in the driver side door(I am anal and so I hear it, others dont). Others include rear deck lid(comes and goes), rattle from the front windows if they are half up/down, rattle from the steering column(rare) and a thump from the rear suspension when the car drops off an edge such as rolling off of a driveway(will be meeting dealer for TSB).
---->>>Pinging:Thankfully none so far at any RPM.
----->>>Transmission: I feel the car searches for gears while slowing down and after long drives the transmission is unusually jerky while shifting but it goes back to normal after cooling down. It is generally very quick in upshifts and downshifts and the paddle shifters hold gear very well but shifting takes at least a second.
---->>Leather:Premature wear in the driver seat cushion. Just applied Zaino leather care 9 and 10. Saw some minimal flaking of pigment at the inner side of the driver backrest. Cleaned it and let it be, I will watch it and make a note with the dealer for later.
----->>Electronics are all perfect except the rear right speaker rattling with the rear deck.
----->>In comparison to other cars that one may consider, this does hang in with them but with regards to power the 335i, g35/37 and the audi s4 are all better. Keep in mind though, they are at different price points when new but can be had used with varying mileage for almost the same price. But I chose the TL-S for reliability and resale. Time will tell how it does in that department.
So a prospective buyer should look into the following issues:
1.Vibration at low RPM and 60-65MPH.
2.Rattles as mentioned above.
3.Pinging at 3000RPM and above.
4.Premature wear of the leather.
5.Speakers with rattles or blown.
6.Smooth shifting transmission. Avoid car if the shifting is jerky or if teh downshifts are exceptionally harsh on downshifts.
Feel free to add any other feedback. I will keep adding future issues and more feedback. I currently have 22.5k on mine.
Rick
Old 10-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Instructor

Oh, I completely forgot about the fogged headlights that I had for two days when temperature swings were wide. No issues since then. Dealership made a note and said would change if fogging happens again and stays for more than a few hours.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well if you are dissatisfied you should sell it then. of any of the cars you mentioned I have been yet to be beaten by any of them. they are kind of a joke to me. good luck in your next purchase.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
may i add another annoying part that i am experiencing after 1 week of owning an 06 tl?

i know this might not be a big of a deal to some people but to me it's annoying; the sound of the wind is way to loud when i roll my front windows down, and i mean way way too loud. I know it's the design of the car. i've driven many cars and the tl makes the loudest wind noise of all. but then, other great factors of the car trump this little annoying factor. i am happy with my tl
Old 10-22-2009, 08:05 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan1629
well if you are dissatisfied you should sell it then. of any of the cars you mentioned I have been yet to be beaten by any of them. they are kind of a joke to me. good luck in your next purchase.
What do you mean by "have been yet to be beaten..." If you are talking about just speed I assure you if you haven't been beaten by one its because they weren't trying.

The Audi and BMW are much faster cars. The G35/G37 is the closest matched competitor and I would still give them the edge when it comes down to just speed.

D
Old 10-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Acuras Only in

I thought type-s supposedly has the upper hand 'cuz it has the combo of lux & perf. of a sports sedan, dollar per pound wise ... LOL

Like one of the OP indicated, if you are not happy with the type-s, then ditch it & get another one that will get your heart pounding ... Good luck !
Old 10-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rick sambora
Hi fellow 3Gers,
I know this is a busy forum and one that I consulted before purchasing my 07 TL-S. I have put 4.5k miles since buying the car and I feel it is incumbent upon me to write this review for the short time that I have had it. I see that a lot of these car are coming off lease and there may be many prospective TL-S owners wanting to know first hand experiences.
--->First off, I hated the first 1500 miles of ownership. It was a nightmare. I was coming from a VQ35DE with amazing power across the powerband and smooth acceleration. The reason for the trade was failure of a lot of suspension components repeatedly. The problem that I consistently had with my TL-S was a vibration at 1500-1800 RPM in 5th gear at around 60-70mph. This was resolved after 2-3 dealer visits and a call to Acura that lead to the regional rep stepping in and a change of the rear motor mount. Since then the problem has been solved 80% and this car drives like advertised. I had driven from Boston to Chicago( a total of 1100miles-with a detour to NJ). It was one of the most comfortable drives I have had. Amazing passing power. Smooth as butter. Feels like it is on rails, without sacrificing comfort(something that the replacement KYB GR2 and eibach springs did not provide on my VQ35DE). I then drove another 1400 miles to and from Mackinac island, Upper peninsula, MI. I would highly recommend that drive especially in the fall. The car again performed to potential without a glitch. The rest of the miles have been in the city in Chicago and Northern Indiana.
-->City driving could have been better in the sense that the car feels slightly underpowered at low RPMs, it could have done with a little more torque lower down. Something that I miss from the VQ35DE. Someone can prove me wrong by posting dyno graphs for both engines. Also at lower speeds the steering is very heavy. Heavier than the Z and a STI that I drove. This could have been dialed back a bit. Michelin tires are crap. I will be looking at a different brand when it comes to that.
-->Average MPG reads 24mpg at average speed of 35mph.
--->Tire pressure is recommended at 35psi for front and 32psi for back. I felt the ride was much better at about 33psi for front and 30psi for the back. This is very subjective however.
--->>RATTLES: Overall very satisfied. Very few if any and these seem to come and go. The only consistent one is in the driver side door(I am anal and so I hear it, others dont). Others include rear deck lid(comes and goes), rattle from the front windows if they are half up/down, rattle from the steering column(rare) and a thump from the rear suspension when the car drops off an edge such as rolling off of a driveway(will be meeting dealer for TSB).
---->>>Pinging:Thankfully none so far at any RPM.
----->>>Transmission: I feel the car searches for gears while slowing down and after long drives the transmission is unusually jerky while shifting but it goes back to normal after cooling down. It is generally very quick in upshifts and downshifts and the paddle shifters hold gear very well but shifting takes at least a second.
---->>Leather:Premature wear in the driver seat cushion. Just applied Zaino leather care 9 and 10. Saw some minimal flaking of pigment at the inner side of the driver backrest. Cleaned it and let it be, I will watch it and make a note with the dealer for later.
----->>Electronics are all perfect except the rear right speaker rattling with the rear deck.
----->>In comparison to other cars that one may consider, this does hang in with them but with regards to power the 335i, g35/37 and the audi s4 are all better. Keep in mind though, they are at different price points when new but can be had used with varying mileage for almost the same price. But I chose the TL-S for reliability and resale. Time will tell how it does in that department.
So a prospective buyer should look into the following issues:
1.Vibration at low RPM and 60-65MPH.
2.Rattles as mentioned above.
3.Pinging at 3000RPM and above.
4.Premature wear of the leather.
5.Speakers with rattles or blown.
6.Smooth shifting transmission. Avoid car if the shifting is jerky or if teh downshifts are exceptionally harsh on downshifts.
Feel free to add any other feedback. I will keep adding future issues and more feedback. I currently have 22.5k on mine.
Rick
Thats actually not bad. I bought my TL CPO, and had the same issues with exception to the pinging. All you can do there is run a good brand of premium gas, if you don't the computer will pull timing from the motor, and you may experience some pinging. With the automatic transmission in these cars, wheter it be a base or type S, I think they are a bit sloppy with the shifts. Some will beg to differ with me. I've driven muscle cars with shift kits and transmissions that shift hard by design. However the transmissions in the TL's for what they are it does the job ok. The other things you mentioned are common in these cars. Sound like you got a good car to me. Good luck with it.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Instructor

You should work on your comprehension skills. My post was a critique( not a rant) of the TL-S and was meant to help prospective buyers watch out for possible issues. I am sorry if I am not a Type-S fanboy. As far as beating/matching the other cars, I don't even want to go there because that was not the intention of this thread. Good luck with your Type-S.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Instructor

I thought type-s supposedly has the upper hand 'cuz it has the combo of lux & perf. of a sports sedan, dollar per pound wise ... LOL

Like one of the OP indicated, if you are not happy with the type-s, then ditch it & get another one that will get your heart pounding ... Good luck !
And it still is.

Thats actually not bad. I bought my TL CPO, and had the same issues with exception to the pinging. All you can do there is run a good brand of premium gas, if you don't the computer will pull timing from the motor, and you may experience some pinging. With the automatic transmission in these cars, wheter it be a base or type S, I think they are a bit sloppy with the shifts. Some will beg to differ with me. I've driven muscle cars with shift kits and transmissions that shift hard by design. However the transmissions in the TL's for what they are it does the job ok. The other things you mentioned are common in these cars. Sound like you got a good car to me. Good luck with it.
I agree with you. It is not all that bad considering what else can go wrong. Like I mentioned earlier this is not a rant. I hope others will benefit from my experience.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:26 AM
Registered Member

Rick, I appologize for this post.I did read into it wrong.
hope were good
Old 10-23-2009, 10:59 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but are we supposed to know what a VQ35DE is? LOL

Ok so what the hell is this VQ35DE that you mention like 20 times?

Old 10-23-2009, 11:12 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28

Nissan engine I believe...
Old 10-23-2009, 11:12 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VQ_engine link
Old 10-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It's the motor code for Nissan. Used in Maxima's.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
^^ wonder why he couldnt just say Nissan Maxima ?!? lol
Old 10-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Instructor

^^ wonder why he couldnt just say Nissan Maxima ?!? lol
I do apologize. I should have just said the Z/maxima(previous cars). I just recently moved from the Nissan forums.

Rick, I appologize for this post.I did read into it wrong.
hope were good
It is an open forum. If I voice my opinion I should be open to criticism and different views on the same subject. Nothing wrong with what you said. I like the enthusiasm on your part. That is what makes these cars what they are and hopefully keep up the resale value.

Last edited by rick sambora; 10-23-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Instructor

how much did you pay for your 07 TL-S? I am in the market for it but it's so hard to find one under 30k out the door in my area
Old 10-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Instructor

how much did you pay for your 07 TL-S? I am in the market for it but it's so hard to find one under 30k out the door in my area
27,700 including the Acura care 100k warranty. Bought in August with approximately 17k miles on it. I would have got a better price if I did not have a trade.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:02 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
In terms of "bang for the buck", the UA7 is a great car.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:02 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
What car did you have with the VQ35? I dont think the Maxima version was superious to the TL....

The G35/350Z... oh hell yea.

Acura wins in every category against the competition, except for power.. thats what makes them so fuel efficient.....the FWD doesnt help either, when comparing to the Z/G.... The J Series motor is a SOHC, ULEV2 engine.... VQ35, DOHC, has traditional exhaust headers, and twin intakes... far superior in terms of power/modding

And, all Acura transmissions are rough... however, i really liked the UA7 (Type-S) transmission... once you learn how to control the tiptronic properly and with a few modifications, you are taking down 335i, 350Z & G35c..

then again, my car was brand new when i got it... as she neared 30k, the transmission actually felt like garbage in "D" .... sport mode was still fun. I also did alot of work to that car, including poly-u engine mounts

Even on my new 4th gen TL... the transmission feels..... how better can i explain it..... "STALE"

between my and the g/f... we've had...

02 AV6 Coupe
03 CL-S
04 TSX
06 3.2L TL
08 3.5L TL-S
09 3.7L TL-SH-AWD

the TSX was the only stronger feeling transmission, probably because it was an i4

Last edited by BLACKURA_NY; 10-23-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Instructor

What car did you have with the VQ35? I dont think the Maxima version was superious to the TL....

The G35/350Z... oh hell yea.

Acura wins in every category against the competition, except for power.. thats what makes them so fuel efficient.....the FWD doesnt help either, when comparing to the Z/G.... The J Series motor is a SOHC, ULEV2 engine.... VQ35, DOHC, has traditional exhaust headers, and twin intakes... far superior in terms of power/modding

And, all Acura transmissions are rough... however, i really liked the UA7 (Type-S) transmission... once you learn how to control the tiptronic properly and with a few modifications, you are taking down 335i, 350Z & G35c..

then again, my car was brand new when i got it... as she neared 30k, the transmission actually felt like garbage in "D" .... sport mode was still fun. I also did alot of work to that car, including poly-u engine mounts

Even on my new 4th gen TL... the transmission feels..... how better can i explain it..... "STALE"

between my and the g/f... we've had...

02 AV6 Coupe
03 CL-S
04 TSX
06 3.2L TL
08 3.5L TL-S
09 3.7L TL-SH-AWD

the TSX was the only stronger feeling transmission, probably because it was an i4

I had a 2004 350z and a 2004 maxima. Both had the VQ35DE with different iterations of the intake/exhaust and how it sat in the engine bay.
You know it is interesting that you even compare the Type-S to the maxima since the max is less power on paper and was rated at 255hp/250+ TQ. I am beginning to like and enjoy my TL-S FROM A LUXURY AND QUALITY STANDPOINT. The fun factor was definitely with the previous two cars. But Nissan build quality and reliability was awful.
I can relate to your assessment of the transmission. I am not saying that Acura needs more gears(in my opinion the 6/7AT is just a marketing ploy), they need better gearing and more responsive transmissions. They also need to update the engine technology. VTEC was great but been around for a while. SOHC???
All said if my TL-S keeps performing as it is doing now for the next 4-5 years I will be a happy customer. My wife has an 06 TL(81k) with zero issues(except rattles) and we will be trading that in for a 10 TL SH-AWD. So there is still faith in Acura.

BTW Blackura, did you have a 6MT or a 5AT? I loved the 6MT but wife cant drive stick so had to go AT. Boy was it a beast in teh stick version.
Rick

Last edited by rick sambora; 10-23-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:30 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
The UA7 (Type-S) transmission is actually "bullet-proof" when compared to the

99-03 TL/CL
98-02 Accord V6
04 TL

Acura addressed a major issue, with their V6 transmission overheating and melting the gears.....

The Grade Logic (07+ TL/TL-S) is very "rough"... especially in traffic. it shifts hard, and jerks...

But when you are in the mood for some spirited driving, it really feels like you have a Manual transmission

And like I mentioned. i had alot of modifications, which actually made the Type-S a very fast and aggressive car.... a tad uncomfortable, but ballsy..

Imagine a DOHC J-Series Engine!! Also, the transverse mount engine J32/J35 paired with a FWD drivetrain, makes torque steer really, really noticeable... and annoying
Old 10-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Intermediate

I like your article an input. I have one thing about the other cars you mentioned - TIRES! I am a BMW mastertech and you will replace tires twice as oftenon the BMW and Audi as you would with the Acura. So every 20K (if you can get them to last that long) you will pretty much be replacing them, it's the sacrifice for "the ultimate driving machine" - something's go to wear for that kind of road feel. Not slamming the german cars but it's a consumable to them like gas. - Asian cars are like refrigerators - lights on ok everything is working (built by car guy's) - German cars demand driver involvment in all aspects of car ownership and driving (built by engineers) - American cars are engineered and sold by salesman (cheap everything except the motors and trans- I own a Trans Am in addition to my TL). Just a comment from a knowledgable perspective.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rick sambora
They also need to update the engine technology. VTEC was great but been around for a while. SOHC???
I think your review of the car is very fair and I agree with a lot of what you say. I've certainly gone through some interesting love/hate cycles with my '07 TL-S. It's cool to hear you're mostly pleased thus far with your purchase.

And as a general question, not so much a response to your post, are DOHC heads really better in this application? Right now, all of the valve work is being handled reliably by a single cam per head. It even addresses variable timing and valve lift on the intake valves, which in itself is pretty clever. The configuration of the rocker arms also means super easy valve adjustments. A single cam reduces the rotating mass of the engine, the size of the cylinder heads, and makes the whole package a bit more compact. Clearly the focus is efficiency, and Honda are really good at that.

I won't lie, DOHC heads would be cool because of the badge on the engine covers, and just the fact that "DOHC" sounds mean, advanced, modern, etc... "SOHC" sounds weak, and it's no wonder they don't advertise it on the engine cover. However, would it really give us any more performance? Is it holding back the engine in some way?

Perhaps if the engine needed to rev higher, say over 8000 RPM (I'm just guessing), the use of a single cam and rocker arms might become a limiting factor. In that case, it might be best to use two camshafts and actuate the valves in a more direct manner.

What about adding variable valve timing and lift to the exhaust side too? Well, the J37whatever in the TL SH-AWD has VTEC functionality on both intake and exhaust, it is accomplishes this with a single cam per head. I'd say that clever, compact, and efficient design is the winner despite the lack of aesthetic points.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Acuraconvert
I like your article an input. I have one thing about the other cars you mentioned - TIRES! I am a BMW mastertech and you will replace tires twice as oftenon the BMW and Audi as you would with the Acura. So every 20K (if you can get them to last that long) you will pretty much be replacing them, it's the sacrifice for "the ultimate driving machine" - something's go to wear for that kind of road feel. Not slamming the german cars but it's a consumable to them like gas. - Asian cars are like refrigerators - lights on ok everything is working (built by car guy's) - German cars demand driver involvment in all aspects of car ownership and driving (built by engineers) - American cars are engineered and sold by salesman (cheap everything except the motors and trans- I own a Trans Am in addition to my TL). Just a comment from a knowledgable perspective.
Ive never heard the different manufacturers explained like that before, makes alot of sense .. lol .. How about Korean cars? lol
Old 10-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bzyrice
Ive never heard the different manufacturers explained like that before, makes alot of sense .. lol .. How about Korean cars? lol

Asian manufacturer's follow same philosophy, but the Korean car market was heavily influenced by Detroit when they started. Unlike Detroit they learned their lessons and are starting to produce much better cars IMO. I still wouldn't buy one but they are getting better ex: Hyundai Genesis, and the new Kia that just came out the forte (don't care how great they become I just can't like them)?