AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   Couple of questions about an '08 Type S 6M (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/couple-questions-about-08-type-s-6m-939564/)

ATLPanther 12-07-2015 01:10 PM

Couple of questions about an '08 Type S 6M

Hi AcuraZine,

Been lurking for a while and this is my first post. I have been looking high and low for a 3G Type S, and I finally found a unicorn 6MT that is pretty decently priced at $11900 with 122k miles. I have a couple of questions for those who have experience with this model.

1) Are there any particular areas I should look for problems? I have heard some people say to check the undercar chassis parts for premature wear.

2) While this isn't really much of a factor in buying the car and might seem silly, the car has Carbon Bronze Pearl which I am not a huge fan of. I'd like to look into maybe repainting the car to a different color if I buy it. Does anyone have experience with repainting a 3G TL? Is this something that is or isn't recommended?

Thank you!

mc1114 12-07-2015 01:14 PM

You're crazy for 1. Thinking CBP is not an appealing color and 2. Considering repainting a nice TL

truonghthe 12-07-2015 01:16 PM

CBP was on my shit list of color when I am buying TL, I did test drove a CBP back then and never bother looking back.

mtiaz 12-07-2015 01:20 PM

CBP is a colour that grew on me forsure, don't waste money on repainting it, just move on if you really hate the colour I suppose

Here are some things you should look for on your pre-purchase inspection of the vehicle:

1) Compliance Bushings - check for broken rubber (turn the wheel full-tilt to see each side easily)
2) Noisy power steering hoses - check to service records to see if recall performed
3) Oil Pump Seal - look for a small area of oil residue usually covering a little bit of the oil pan, they do not leak as so much to pour on the ground so just give the oil pan a quick glance
4) Rear Main Seal - this is pretty obvious, you'll most likely see oil on the ground
5) 3rd Gear Syncro 6MT - if you're shopping for a 6MT, check to see if 3rd gear is abnormally notchy, grinds or pops out of gear
6) Engine mounts

Last but not least, check if the TB/WP 105k maintenance was performed as it is a pretty significant maintenance milestone

justnspace 12-07-2015 01:23 PM

to get a great paint job, you're going to spend some serious scratch!

it's all about prep work and prepping the car to be painted, takes lots of man hours.
be prepared to spend upwards of $5k for a fantastic job.

yes, you can get the car painted for cheaper, but that would most likely mean they skipped out somewhere, likely in the prep work. (if not prepped properly, paint wont likely to adhere and a repaint would likely be in your future)

so, i would agree that you would be crazy to REPAINT a car just because you didnt like the color.

ATLPanther 12-07-2015 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 15627956)
to get a great paint job, you're going to spend some serious scratch!

it's all about prep work and prepping the car to be painted, takes lots of man hours.
be prepared to spend upwards of $5k for a fantastic job.

yes, you can get the car painted for cheaper, but that would most likely mean they skipped out somewhere, likely in the prep work. (if not prepped properly, paint wont likely to adhere and a repaint would likely be in your future)

so, i would agree that you would be crazy to REPAINT a car just because you didnt like the color.

5 grand? Holy shit. Yeah, I guess I'm crazy for thinking that as well. Maybe the CBP will grow on me. I just like the silver, white, and kinetic blue much better. The black is not bad either as long as you keep it clean.

Oh Sickest TL 12-07-2015 01:29 PM

couldn't have said it better myself JUstn. If you plan on keeping the car and it has some blemishes then getting that stuff fixed up is fine. But to repaint the whole car if its in good shape (no rust etc) makes no sense. CBP is a fantastic colour and when detailed it looks amazing. I paid close to 5k to get my TL painted and thats with not painting door jambs and engine bay.

A full colour change is no joke of a job and you'll pay a lot more than 5k for that from a quality shop

quanaman 12-07-2015 01:29 PM

Take it on a nice long drive, get it through all the gears and make sure it shifts smoothly. If it doesn't, GM synchromesh fluid will likely fix any notching or popping out, but you'll want to at least know about it and be prepared to use it as a negotiation tool.

Other than that, the same basic things one should always look out for on a used car. Plenty of good info from members above^

justnspace 12-07-2015 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Oh Sickest TL (Post 15627964)
couldn't have said it better myself JUstn. If you plan on keeping the car and it has some blemishes then getting that stuff fixed up is fine. But to repaint the whole car if its in good shape (no rust etc) makes no sense. CBP is a fantastic colour and when detailed it looks amazing. I paid close to 5k to get my TL painted and thats with not painting door jambs and engine bay.

A full colour change is no joke of a job and you'll pay a lot more than 5k for that from a quality shop

agreed.
OP, this isnt just limited to the TL, any car that you want to re-paint cost this much!!!

TacoBello 12-07-2015 01:59 PM

Also, you get what you pay for. It takes a ton of hours to paint a car properly. If you get a cheap quote, you'll end up with a cheap paint job. And then you'll hate yourself. There's no magic easy/cheap way of getting it done right.

Oh Sickest TL 12-07-2015 02:17 PM

I've seen many 1000-1500 dollar paint jobs and its not something you want to even get into lol

quanaman 12-08-2015 08:55 AM

ever seen a MAACO, or better yet, taxi cab $300 paint job? :ugh:

01acls 12-08-2015 09:20 AM

Regardless of price, a repainted car will always be less chip resistant. For some reason the factory paint is better, more durable.

corrado85 12-08-2015 09:32 AM

Maybe I can be of help

I was in market to purchase TL-S. Similar situation, I saw a CBP at a price I couldn't ignore. It was not my fav color or the color I wanted. But after owning it, the color grew onto me and now I actually love the color.

take a few months to decide whether you 'really' hate the color before dropping $5k, then is it even worth getting this car?

Secondly, I seen a lot of TL's and you may also notice, the paint does not fade. I don't know exactly what Acura did right during this generation, but the stock paint is EXCELLENT. Don't ruin it

foxriderar77 12-09-2015 03:11 PM

Everyone has covered all the bases. I personally have the exact type of car you are looking at buying and really love the color.

Flipster23 12-09-2015 03:36 PM

I actually like CBP... :shrug:

My number 1 thing would be if the car has been maintained well.

It's not a ugly grandma Toyota Camry gold.... I think you will adjust to the color.

08KBP_VA 12-11-2015 11:42 AM

The car is no where near worth the added cost of a repaint. Have you checked into a wrap, less permanent of course and Im not sure of the cost I know they have dropped considerably but I have heard some will rival a repaint in cost so shop around. Might be an option if you hate the color.

And I think the quote of $5k to repaint is considerably lower than a good job would be plus with a full repaint opens up such risk for quality issues as its so much area to cover I wouldnt do it personally. Where is Earl Scheib when you need him :rave:

justnspace 12-11-2015 11:51 AM

^Considering he thought $5k was a lot, I didnt want to further burst his bubble with a higher price.. :snicker:

TypeSZilla 12-12-2015 06:41 AM

I think the BCP is the best color to have in the TLS as it's a beautiful blend of sport with a touch of sophistication. However, about 2 months ago now I came across a low mileaged NBP TLS for which I had no love for the color. But after journeying a couple states over and driving her back I fell in love with her for the beast that she is :)

Congrats and by the way I myself have been "lurking" lol!

Oh Sickest TL 12-12-2015 11:40 AM

Agreed

ATLPanther 12-16-2015 06:14 PM

I ended up buying the car. Got her for $11,500 with 123k miles. I had the serpentine tensioner and belt changed because it was making noise. Now that it's been replaced she purrs.

Currently dealing with issues getting the title from the DMV though...so I haven't really gotten to drive her a lot. I have to say, there is a night and day difference between the 3G Type S and my current daily, a 2000 Accord EX-L V6.

csmeance 12-16-2015 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by ATLPanther (Post 15636365)
I ended up buying the car. Got her for $11,500 with 123k miles. I had the serpentine tensioner and belt changed because it was making noise. Now that it's been replaced she purrs.

Currently dealing with issues getting the title from the DMV though...so I haven't really gotten to drive her a lot. I have to say, there is a night and day difference between the 3G Type S and my current daily, a 2000 Accord EX-L V6.

you did well:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...3cfc363f24.png

anx1300c 12-17-2015 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by 01acls (Post 15628765)
Regardless of price, a repainted car will always be less chip resistant. For some reason the factory paint is better, more durable.

So not true. My OEM front end was a nightmare as far as rock chips. Literally hundreds of them. After having the front end repainted, I've since traveled more miles and have around a half dozen tiny chips. Factory clear on these cars sucked.

01acls 12-17-2015 10:07 AM

^ That is very unusual that a repaint is more durable than factory paint but it could happen I suppose but it's hard to compare apples to apples when it comes to rock chips. You would have to drive on the same road at the same moment in time to have a fair comparison.

For example if someone skied a lot at some point in their life they'll have a lot more rock chips during that time period from other people's tire chains chewing up the road and sand blasting the frontend but for whatever reason they ski less now so less rock chips. That's just one example of many.

I would like to know the name of the manufacturer of the paint that's on your car now?