3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a TL.....Newbie Questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 08:22 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering a TL.....Newbie Questions.....

Have owned Honda/Acura products non-stop since 1989 ('79 Prelude, '84 Prelude, '89 Prelude, '91 Legend Coupe, '95 Legend GS Sedan, '00 RL, '03 Odyssey) and am considering a move to the TL to replace the RL...

1. When you use the Nav, can you also use the CD player and/or XM radio? Or do you have to sacrifice audio control when you choose Nav?

2. I'm confused on the spoilers.....on the acura.com website, I can't tell what the car looks like without spoilers let alone with them on. Anyone have any images showing what the front/side/rear spoilers look like in relation to them not on the car?

3. I live in a snowy, Northern environment.....does this car handle well in the snow on the stock tires (my RL does) or will I need to investigate dedicated snows?

4. Anyone else go from an RL to a TL? If so, can you share your experiences? I love the look and the (expected) better handling, but are there any details you miss about the RL from a luxury / feature standpoint (no laughter please).

5. What should I expect to pay for a TL Auto Nav these days?

TIA
Old 03-08-2004, 08:29 PM
Advanced

Old 03-08-2004, 08:30 PM
Advanced

Re: Considering a TL.....Newbie Questions.....

Originally posted by boltjames
Have owned Honda/Acura products non-stop since 1989 ('79 Prelude, '84 Prelude, '89 Prelude, '91 Legend Coupe, '95 Legend GS Sedan, '00 RL, '03 Odyssey) and am considering a move to the TL to replace the RL...

1. When you use the Nav, can you also use the CD player and/or XM radio? Or do you have to sacrifice audio control when you choose Nav?

2. I'm confused on the spoilers.....on the acura.com website, I can't tell what the car looks like without spoilers let alone with them on. Anyone have any images showing what the front/side/rear spoilers look like in relation to them not on the car?

3. I live in a snowy, Northern environment.....does this car handle well in the snow on the stock tires (my RL does) or will I need to investigate dedicated snows?

4. Anyone else go from an RL to a TL? If so, can you share your experiences? I love the look and the (expected) better handling, but are there any details you miss about the RL from a luxury / feature standpoint (no laughter please).

TIA

1) Answer to your 1st question. Yes you can use Navi with CD in the player. When the car is about to give you directions verbally the music volume lowers than gives you directions ie: "In a quarter of a mile make a left turn." Then voila music volume is back to normal.

5) For the Navi, you are looking only at spending $35,150 roughly. Just depends how you negotiate. Awesome car though worth every penny
Old 03-08-2004, 08:31 PM
Pro

The tires aren't that great in the rain or snow, but they could be worse.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:21 PM
Racer

TIA

My tires (stock EL42s) handle mediorce in snow, but better w/ VSA on
Old 03-08-2004, 09:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

u should read this..
ignore the 500 HP thing.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...threadid=73230
Old 03-08-2004, 10:27 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts

1. Yes, Navi Voice will guide you the direction. Also, you could switch between radio/CD/XM and Navi anytime. 04TL has the seperated buttons for temp/AC/Radio/CD/XM, you don't need to go into screens to change.

2.http://www.speedycars.net/wallpaper/acura_tl.html

3. Snow tires will definitely help. Stock EL42s are not very good in snowy or rainy conditions if you live in North.

4. 04TL does miss some features, but you won't regret to have this car.

5. 1k-2k off MSRP plus some weeks of waiting period.

Old 03-08-2004, 10:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally posted by Joseph_99TL
u should read this..
ignore the 500 HP thing.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...threadid=73230

Plus, http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...threadid=72531 There were more threads talking about this in the past.

Only if you like to whine what TL should have...
Old 03-08-2004, 10:39 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Re: Re: Considering a TL.....Newbie Questions.....

Thank you everyone for your help! Can't wait to take a test drive....

Question.....

What interior color works best with that Anthraset Metallic? Is that dark grey or purple? Also, what interior looks best on the Deep Green Pearl?

Thanks again! How can I get MP3 ID3 tags on the Nav screen?

Originally posted by rets
1. Yes, Navi Voice will guide you the direction. Also, you could switch between radio/CD/XM and Navi anytime. 04TL has the seperated buttons for temp/AC/Radio/CD/XM, you don't need to go into screens to change.

2.http://www.speedycars.net/wallpaper/acura_tl.html

3. Snow tires will definitely help. Stock EL42s are not very good in snowy or rainy conditions if you live in North.

4. 04TL does miss some features, but you won't regret to have this car.

5. 1k-2k off MSRP plus some weeks of waiting period.

Old 03-08-2004, 10:49 PM
Safety Car

i wish mp3's worked period let alone get it on the nav screen. i really wish there was a way to play mp3's on the TL, that is probably the one option that would be nice. but then again there is xm as a substitute.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:53 PM
Racer

Re: Re: Re: Considering a TL.....Newbie Questions.....

What interior color works best with that Anthraset Metallic?
Quartz or Ebony. I prefer Ebony.
Is that dark grey or purple?
More like metallic gunmetal.
Also, what interior looks best on the Deep Green Pearl?
Parchment.
How can I get MP3 ID3 tags on the Nav screen?
You can't. The audio system does not play MP3s, nor does it display any type of text info, other than track number and time remaining from DVD-As or CDs.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:00 PM
Racer

Parchment interior works best with Deep Pearl Green Exterior, IMO
Old 03-08-2004, 11:13 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Found some pics of the Anthraset but ZERO pics of the Deep Green Pearl.....can anyone direct me to some? Trying to be as thorough as possible before the trip to the showroom....

Thanks again.....you folks have all been great.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:19 PM
Advanced

I know you guys talk about playing MP3's, have anyone tried adding on the FM transmitter for the Ipod? You set your radio to a set channels and then the ipod send the signal to your radio, I don't know how good it is but if would be worth trying.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:27 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

prozzi: The iPod via FM radio is worthless unless you live in a very remote area with few FM stations available. Even with that, the dynamic range is very blah. Best bet is to get a powered and wired FM modulator.....unless the TL's head unit has an input.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:29 PM
Advanced

Well I guess that solves my idea of trying it. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:40 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

prozzi: Don't try the FM wireless but *do* go for the better solution to getting your iPod in the car. I've got several friends with iPod installs and it's terrific.....should cost under $200 to get a simple wire spliced into the radio that is concealed in your armrest.....when you want the iPod, you pull out the wire and put it into the headphone jack and you're all set.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:42 PM
Advanced

awesome! I will have to check it out or if you have any more info on it. Thanks