Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a S2000.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 08:21 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Considering a S2000.

To begin, I love my 04 TL. A lot. It is a great car that has never failed me. It is fun to drive, good gas mileage, and its sexy.

However, I am considering moving to more of a drivers car. Main reason being, is I want a 6 speed that I can toss around. I love Honda, as my Acura is my third Honda, but it just doesnt have the feel that I am looking for. I know in a straight line (which im not all that worried about) the TL may slightly beat the S2000, but around turns i've heard that nothing in this price range really compares.

The only drawback that is really keeping me from moving to a S2000 is the size. I know it is much much smaller. I currently am in college, so I dont have a family to cart around. Rarely do I have more than one person in my Acura, but it does happen. I dont carry around too much either.

Okay, so someone talk me out of this. Or talk me into this. Opinions? Who here has driven the S2000 and the Acura TL.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Oh shit....don't tell Tyler (CLtotheTL). He wants one BAD.....
Old 12-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Oh shit....don't tell Tyler (CLtotheTL). He wants one BAD.....
Uh oh. Someone with a fairly highly modified 6 speed, WDP, A-Spec TL wants an S2000... Thats something to think about.

Im (just about) 19. Would my insurance go up or down for an S2000?

hmmm
Old 12-26-2011, 09:12 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
^tyler has an auto.

not to bash on the autos...but there is no feeling in it!

and the only person that could tell you about your insurance would be your insurance agent.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
They are cool, but kinda feminine IMO
Old 12-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Originally Posted by jonboy10
..I know in a straight line (which im not all that worried about) the TL may slightly beat the S2000...

Okay, so someone talk me out of this. Or talk me into this. Opinions? Who here has driven the S2000 and the Acura TL.
S2K is faster in every way imaginable. It's faster than a 6-speed TL-S in a straight line. I've driven both cars on the street and at the track and there's absolutely no comparison between them in the performance category. When it comes to crash safety, comfort, convenience, features and insurance rates the TL wins by a landslide though.
Originally Posted by Dino81
They are cool, but kinda feminine IMO
Lol. More feminine than a sedan with an automatic transmission? You can't even get an S2K with an auto...didn't even have traction control until the 2006 model year.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:34 PM

ap1s are slow.

ap2s are what is called an awesome race!
Old 12-26-2011, 09:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 151 Likes on 145 Posts
I have driven both, two different cars. The s2k slaps the TL in handling, but I think the TL was faster in a straight line. Don't forget the ap1 (model I drove) has a 9k redline, so the power doesn't hit until about 6.5k. The TL feels like it has more tourque as well, I know it does on paper to all of you smart asses. If your are going to get a s2k I have to disagree with above post and say go with an ap1. They are even more of a drivers car in that they are less refined than the ap2, plus they redline at 9k, who could complain with that.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:45 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
ap1s are slow.

ap2s are what is called an awesome race!
AP1 S2K 0-60 ~ 5.5 seconds
TL A/T 0-60 ~ 6.5 seconds
TL-S M/T 0-60~5.9 seconds

AP2's are basically the same speed. Horsepower stayed the same. Torque went up by 9 lb/ft. Redline was lowered by 800rpm. They added traction control and changed the rear suspension geometry and alignment to reduce oversteer. The AP1 is much more pure.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:53 PM

what about base 6mt's?

5.6-8 seconds.

its a drivers race!
which again, it would be an awesome race between the two!!!!
Old 12-26-2011, 09:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

^Not to be an asshole, but you can't judge them in straight line by 0-60 times off of the internet. The best way to see is a first or second gear roll on the highway. Traction is too big of a variable when it comes to 0-60.

Such as this.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 12-27-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
And AP2's were underrated in terms of hp and torque from the factory. Dyno tests prove this.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:51 PM
NICE GUY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an AP1 (this year) and drove my buddies AP2 CR at High Plains Raceway. I loved the S2k, but it was way too small. I could not see the traffic light if I was the first in line (too tall). I would say a driver 5'9" would be best.

BUT you cant beat a top down, rwd, 6spd honda !! I will own another one, but it will not be my daily !!
Old 12-26-2011, 11:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 499 Likes on 277 Posts
My cousin has one and I drove it around a few times. As much as I enjoyed it, I wouldnt part with my TL as my only car. For him it's great he autocrosses it at every event in the San Francisco area, but I personally only autoX on occasion. Also, for what its worth his got vandalized (got the roof cut) while it was parked on the street.
So if I were you I'd hold on to the TL till college is over and then maybe get a fun car.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:14 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Never really liked the design of the S2K.

I'd never actually buy a Honda though-- to weak and ricey for me. (Acura is different)
Old 12-27-2011, 12:35 AM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mY sLOW UA6
I have driven both, two different cars. The s2k slaps the TL in handling, but I think the TL was faster in a straight line. Don't forget the ap1 (model I drove) has a 9k redline, so the power doesn't hit until about 6.5k. The TL feels like it has more tourque as well, I know it does on paper to all of you smart asses. If your are going to get a s2k I have to disagree with above post and say go with an ap1. They are even more of a drivers car in that they are less refined than the ap2, plus they redline at 9k, who could complain with that.
I disagree with the above. The ap1's rev'ed to 9k but their valves and valve keepers were notorious for failures. They don't have a back glass on the earlier models and their differential's are weaker than those of the ap2's. Not to mention, the ap2's look much better in terms of led tail lights and 17'' standard wheels compared to the small looking 16's.

Op, I've owned both cars and I miss the s2000 everyday. But since your in college I would not get it, I had it slip out on me a few times just from making a turn in slight rain. The snow, don't even think about it unless you have staggered winter tires setup which can be costly. And the size, let me tell you it's annoying. Really annoying. From throwing your backpack in to getting groceries. Oh also the steering wheel doesn't move fyi, no adjustments like the tl (in/out, up/down) and the seats can only go back so far, so for those long trips, it might suck. Straight line, the car is slow, it's great however for highway exit ramps and such. But like I said, it's not practical and I would not give up my TL for a s2000 as a daily driver. However, I would love to have one as a weekend car. Perhaps you can save up a chunk and invest in a miata, yes they aren't s2k's but miata's are like dirt dirt cheap these days if you crave the twisties, that's until you can save up after student loans lol to buy a s2k for a weekend car, but never for a daily driver.

So there you have it, from other posters, it seems that the s2k is a bad choice if it's you only dd.
Other cons you might want to consider, you'll lose a lot of the luxuries you've had with the TL

Cons:
-No bluetooth
-Lot more wind noise from the soft top
-Seats are stolen often from s2k's- simple with a slit to the soft top
-Easy to break into because of the soft top
-Soft top will eventually rip (you can patch it, but replacement is about $700)
-No rear speakers, you can cut and drill in small speakers, but for highway or regular driving with top down, the wind noise will cancel out your spearkers, only have fronts.
-NO PASSENGER UNLOCK BUTTON, this was really annoying. You had to lean over every time to unlock the door for your passenger
- If your planning to mod, there's not much power to be made as everything is fine tuned and maxed out tq/hp wise from factory, costs to mod is really expensive for this car and you will yield very minimal gains
- Very bad in rain and snow
- Low torque to gear ratio, taking off on stop signs and red lights are a pain and normally have to keep it towards the high end for any bit of useful toque
- When you install an aftermarket radio (you will because the stock is very underpowered) you have to buy from a certain vendor that sells harnesses for the controls on the driver side to work with the aftermarket radio

Pros:
- Top down on those nice days, it really is a blast to drive with the top down
- Great looks, people ask me all the time what car it was
- Handles great in dry weather, it could easily double the speed limit on exit ramps and handles like it's on rails

Last edited by Steven Bell; 12-27-2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:58 AM
Advanced

I have both, and if you can afford to keep your tl and buy s2000, do it. Besides the nsx, these two cars are the great examples of Honda engineering and design.
The s2000 is faster due to its incredible hp/curb weight ratio. Quite honestly the tl feels like a boat after driving the s2000.
I love my tl--I have owned it since 2004 and hope to drive it another 7 years, but if you can get a clean low mileage model grab it
Old 12-27-2011, 01:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Insurance will go UP. It's a bit quicker than your TL, but in all honesty, not by much. It is a driver's car though with the top down and music up, ahh...well
No torques though...
Old 12-27-2011, 01:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
maybe consider something else besides honda/acura if you want a drivers car
Old 12-27-2011, 09:06 AM

Received 9,502 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Like you, I got my TL fairly young, 19 I believe. Anyways, I felt like the TL was a car I should be driving in 10-15 years, not as a teenager. I wanted something fun and sporty. Plus I regretted getting an automatic TL and the S2k is a 6-speed.

I went to a dealership and drove a gorgeous dark grey AP2, black with red interior. If I traded in the TL, I would have paid $2000 more and I could have driven it home. I literally had the paperwork in front of me and decided to walk away.

The main reason was that the TL seats 3 more people than the S2k. I hang out with my friends a lot and it would be pointless to hang out with a few people and decide to go get dinner and not be able to take my car. Also, I do quite a few road trips, and I wasn't sure that a small 2-seater would be best for taking suitcases and such out of state for a week or two at a time.

At the end of the day you need to see if you are willing to make the SACRIFICE. I made that all caps because it is a sacrifice. While the S2k is cool and sporty, it doesn't have as many features and has more room as the TL.

If I could go back and do it again, I would get the S2k, but that's just me.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:26 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
i think interior space will be your biggest issue unless u don't mind.....
i had a 91 MR2 before my 05 TL, yeah everything is bigger with TL, more luxury and this and that, but MR2 eats TL for breakfast, lunch and dinner during corner on any given day and night...i miss my MR2 tho...but with all the other things that my TL is giving me can't go wrong with that...!!
Old 12-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Cruisin'

I have both a 3g TL and an ap2 s2000 right now. If its going to be a daily driver, forget about it. No room for anything. I guess that's why I got both cars. I'll try and break it down for you

Speed: I don't understand why people care about which one is faster or what not. It's comparing two totally different cars. My s2000 was supercharged then turbo so speed didn't matter to me in the TL, but I'm not saying the TL can not be as fast or faster with the same, I just see the TL as a great daily driver that will crank every time I jump in it and go.

Pros: Very fun to drive especially with the top down. A lot of people ask me what it is and chicks dig it. Handling is like no other and will tear a TL in half. Car looks great (opinion based), drives good, small enough to fit in tight spots, good excuse to not tote around other people, digital dash, hardtop option (I love it) 6spd fun, great braking, poor man's race car feeling, its just a car that's great to sit in whenever you feel the need for speed. lol

Insurance: My s2000 is under a "pleasure" car since I have two which dropped insurance a lot. I think once you pass 25 years of age it drops as well. I want to say I pay around 50 bucks a month with Full coverage. For a 19 year old and you're only car, I would have to guess insurance will be a couple hundred bucks a month for ya.

Cons: Unlike the ap1s with the rear plastic window, I have the glass which could be converted on the older models. The tears in the top could be prevented, theft is big, small everything, wind noise, Someone mentioned rear speakers which Honda makes for it, it will be a money pit. wheels are hard to find cheap since it needs a super high offset, unless you're into the flush thing, Upgrades will be a lot more expensive.

But when you really think about it, its a convertible sports car, what do you expect? a spacious and quiet car? its a damn sports car, not a TL.

I'm fortunate to afford both cars and hopefully you will be after college. My best advice to you is to keep what you have, finish college, and then buy an s2000.

and if you still urge for an s2000, hopefully you have a friend or so that will let you borrow the car for a couple days to drive it and see what you think. Just make sure you take a couple days of sleep over it before you jump into conclusion.

If you or anyone else needs more opinions or advice, I will be happy to help, just pm me.

Last edited by Round 3; 12-27-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:23 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
have you checked out the v6 accord coupe? that might be a decent compromise
Old 12-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Racer

Thanks for all the replies everybody.

All in all, i agree with what everyone said. If I were to get an S2K, it would have to be as a second car, which isnt really an option right now. There really would be too many inconveniences that would far outweigh the advantages of sporty fun.

The only other car I have been considering is an E36 BMW M3.

Cons of an M3-

-I know the M3 will be more difficult to maintain, and more expensive, but I know that there are many DIY's out there for the E36, and I feel like I could handle most things.
-Gas mileage would be a little worse than the TL but not far off.
-Would lose built in Navi, which I use about once or twice a month.
-Would lose voice commands, which i dont really use enough
-Lose the Honda infamous reliablity
-Higher insurance costs, but I dont think they would be too much higher
-Possibly loose 2 doors if i opt for a coupe
-What else am I losing, besides little features, im talking overall big items

Pros of an M3-

-Considered to be one of the better-handling cars of all time, and was awarded "Best-Handling Car" award by Car and Driver magazine in 1997.
-My much, much wanted third pedal
-Slightly faster 0-60
-Idk, all the fame and fortune that comes with the ability to say, "I drive a Bimmer."
-To me, I feel that the E36 M3 is a classic, awesome looking car.
-What else am I going to gain

I should change the title to, considering an E36 M3. Mods?
Old 12-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by leedogg
have you checked out the v6 accord coupe? that might be a decent compromise
Im looking for rear wheel drive, and i dont really like the look of the older coupes. The new ones are getting better, but theyre too expensive and still not that great looking from the rear.
But im open to suggestions.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
what year m3 are you talking about? From everything I have read gas mileage will be considerably worse in an m3 especially if you like to get on it now and then.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by joelmatt89
what year m3 are you talking about? From everything I have read gas mileage will be considerably worse in an m3 especially if you like to get on it now and then.
E36= (In the U.S.) 1995-1999. Preferably 1998-1999. I dont think it would be considerably worse. The engine is the same size as ours, a 3.2, but it is inline 6 which will be a little more thirsty. And when they designed it i dont belive they really focused on MPG as much as they did acceleration.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:48 PM

E36? Why no E46?
Old 12-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

If you want something like that I'd go with a g35 coupe.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:58 PM

G35 interior =
Old 12-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I had an E46 M3. I was able to get 27mpg in 6th gear on the highway. The inline 6 screams and its high revving. Plenty of power for daily driving and the wide fenders made the car look aggressive. I miss it. They still fetch 20k+ for a clean one. Honestly, I think the E36 is the ugliest out of the Ms.

1) E46
2) E30
3) E9X
4) E36
Old 12-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Hyundai Genesis couple, 335i coupe, 135i couple all can be found for a relatively good price.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
I recently traded in my 2006 S2000 for a 2007 TL Type-S 6MT. So I can say the S2000 out handles the TL, but when it comes to power the TL is faster. If you have never owned a RWD car anything under a 2006 year model will be a challenge. The S2000 is known for snap oversteer that will have you in a ditch or around a poll. I've read countless post on how I crashed my car. In 2006 the S2000 was equipped with Honda's VSA technology which has saved my but from time to time.

Maintenance is another topic not only will you have to change your oil, but transmission and differential fluid will need to be changed every 15,000 miles. Also since you can not rotate tires they wear out between 12-18 thousand miles.

Now comes down to space and practicality. I drove the S2000 for two years and I couldn't even fit a suitcase in the trunk. Anything bigger than a duffel bag and I needed to borrow my wife's car. It is not practical car if it is your daily driver. Being ran off the road by every SUV mom is not fun as well. Insurance went down when I switched to the TL and I am 26 and married. The insurance companies will have a field day with you. I hoped this information helped.

Last edited by Triscuit; 12-27-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Cruisin'

I owned 3 S2000, M3, G35 and must say all is great cars.. S2000 is fun as hell when taking it to the hills. its like a go kart on crack..lol. M3 have way too much problem.. G35 is overall a great car.. look sophisticated/sporty.. I now also own a TL type S and must say that the TL-s is faster then my AP1 when it was stock (now turbo). here are some pics of my cars.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:58 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
^ Wow those are some nice cars. You did a great job on each of them. I'ma fan of the E46 myself.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:49 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
A G35 would be a good mix between drivers car and a luxury daily driver. Perfect for someone in college IMO and can seat more than 2 people.

At least when I watch Best Motoring vids, a 350z always beats the s2000. The sheer power of the V6 can't be beat despite the twists and turns of the track.

plus I love the sound of the G35 + HKS exhaust.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:49 AM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
not practical as a daily... keep the TL, you'll grow into it lol
Old 12-28-2011, 01:57 AM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
I keep earplugs in the S2k ... 'nuff said. Plus if you're in college you NEED a practical car to move your crap around and carry drunk girls home.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:36 AM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
^yup... loud as fawk.. cant even talk w/ passengers

(my exhaust doesnt help either)

ride is stiff and annoying if you ever plan on taking out a girl

(my coils don't help either, Lol)

LOVE it as a 2nd car, but it'll never survive as a daily.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Cruisin'

I have both as well and I must agree with most of what has been said. I used the S2k as a daily for a good 3 years and i managed. At one point i think i even was able to fit 2 bags of golf clubs in the trunk. Once i got into a TL-S as a daily driver I realized how much i've been missing in the way of convenience and comfort. I can hear the radio, talk on the phone (hands free), bring more than one person somewhere (although this was always a good excuse for not driving). I can't really fit into the same parking spaces but that's not so bad. I use the S2k for Auto x now and wouldn't dream of going back to using it as a DD. Not that the TL has a ton of torque but I will say that it is nice to have a good bit more than the S2k sometimes. It's also a HUGE difference when going from FWD to RWD. The AP1 S2k has been known to catch people off guard, myself included. It does not forgive.

Quick Reply: Considering a S2000.