Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

comptech exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 05:37 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question comptech exhaust

i have quaestion about comptech exhaust...i am about to order the exhaust..but before that i would like to know others op...
is it really worth it?..or make any significant different? for eg.. sounds or HP..
and is it possible to change the muffler head.....because i dont really like the round head..i prefer to be square...oh last q..is there any other brand than comptech..because i saw couple month ago in this forum with TL mugen...and they have exhaust also

thank u
(sorry if i have to much q)
Old 01-24-2005, 05:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check this thread about the comptech exhaust and it should answer your questions (specifically post #7)
Old 01-24-2005, 06:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Thanks...

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Check this thread about the comptech exhaust and it should answer your questions (specifically post #7)
Right. He's one detailing this product. Also, this post...
Old 01-24-2005, 09:47 PM
User

I wrote my review of the Comptech system here: https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/wtb-versus-kit-107916/ POST 17. Let me know if you have any other questions. Also, I could help you get a system for around 900 + shipping if you descide to go with one.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:15 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by anitosi
i have quaestion about comptech exhaust...i am about to order the exhaust..but before that i would like to know others op...
is it really worth it?..or make any significant different? for eg.. sounds or HP..
and is it possible to change the muffler head.....because i dont really like the round head..i prefer to be square...oh last q..is there any other brand than comptech..because i saw couple month ago in this forum with TL mugen...and they have exhaust also

thank u
(sorry if i have to much q)

you can build your own system for much, much cheaper than the comptech one. That allows you to fine tune the sound and even retain the stock look if desired.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:19 AM
Silky Smooth

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
But you wont get the build quality of comptech or the horsepower gains correct?
Old 01-25-2005, 01:24 AM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by Lokius
But you wont get the build quality of comptech or the horsepower gains correct?

That might be true...I havent had a change to put my TL on a dyno...even so...you can just built a cat back system yourself...if you take your time, or go to a shop that knows how to, you will still save a bundle of money...and order SS mufflers so they can even be shiny if that matters to you. I havent looked into how much the comptech opens up the exhaust, but I am confident that I can match anything they claim using my own parts and labor. I will built a system for anyone in the bay area for way less that a comptech exhaust.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:38 AM
Silky Smooth

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well if I could get a deeper sound than the comptech, with as much or more horsepower and retain a somewhat stock look, I would jump on going through other parts and local shops..
Old 01-25-2005, 05:55 AM
Drifting

I had a Comptech system on my 2002TLS and although it did sound sweet, it didn't make any noticable difference in the power. I got it for "looks" and "sound" I personally don't like the round exhaust pipes for the 3Gen TL and would probably go with a Comptech system if they had square pipes like the stock system. Round pipes just don't look right with the styling on the 3Gen TL's
Old 01-25-2005, 07:39 AM
Instructor

Exclamation

Are there going to be any more exhaust systems coming out by other companies that are worth waiting for??

Or Comptech Catback is really the best one even though they are pricy.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:50 PM
Advanced

loki...how much did you pay for the volkracing sf challenge...is that 19*8.5..looks good...
Old 01-25-2005, 01:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jorgebs
I wrote my review of the Comptech system here: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107916 POST 17. Let me know if you have any other questions. Also, I could help you get a system for around 900 + shipping if you descide to go with one.
JORGEBS,

Could you please let me know where I can get this comptech exhaust for 900? I am really interested in buying one soon!

You can PM me

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:51 PM
Shift_faster

People,

Do not get the Comptech exhaust for power. Our stock exhaust is already pretty free-flowing. The CT will NOT free up any NOTICEABLE power.

Get it for the sound and the looks. Or because eventually you will be adding a real power-adder. But in and of itself, it is not a "real" power adder.

EDIT: I still want one though...
Old 01-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Instructor

I just checked with my local Acura dealer for the pricing on the installation of the Comptech catback exhaust system and they quoted me $285.

Does that sound reasonable or do you all think I can find a better deal???
Old 01-26-2005, 03:22 PM
professional TL driver

Originally Posted by narmeen
I just checked with my local Acura dealer for the pricing on the installation of the Comptech catback exhaust system and they quoted me $285.

thats not true... someone misquoted you.... if you do however get it at that price let me know and i will drive there to get it!!!!!

msrp is right around 1000$
Old 01-26-2005, 03:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ONAGER
thats not true... someone misquoted you.... if you do however get it at that price let me know and i will drive there to get it!!!!!

msrp is right around 1000$
Read again, he was referring to the installation being $285
Old 01-26-2005, 03:28 PM
Instructor

Cool

Originally Posted by captain
Read again, he was referring to the installation being $285

Correction: "Read again, he was referring"....She NOT he!

So does the price sound about right for the INSTALLATION???
Old 01-26-2005, 03:29 PM
Shift_faster

I don't think the install should take over an hour. The instructions seem relatively simple. The exhaust is as "bolt-on" as it gets.

So technically they are getting paid $285/hr. You "should" be able to get a better deal, but I haven't inquired install prices, so I don't know if that is what the market can bear.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
I don't think the install should take over an hour. The instructions seem relatively simple. The exhaust is as "bolt-on" as it gets.

So technically they are getting paid $285/hr. You "should" be able to get a better deal, but I haven't inquired install prices, so I don't know if that is what the market can bear.

Will installing the catback exhaust system void out the Acura 4 year warranty on the car? And would it matter in that regard whether we got it installed from ACURA or some other shop?

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2005, 03:44 PM
Shift_faster

Narmeen:

It will not void your warranty unless they can prove that the aftermarket exhaust caused the problem.

Additionally, if you installed it at an Acura dealership, you have SLIGHTLY more leverage, because if something is screwed up in the install you can blame them. Of course, if you go with an aftermarket shop it is usually cheaper, and the dealership will probably try to blame something on them.

Bottom line? It depends on your dealer. Some dealers warrant every Comptech part for the remainder of your 4yr/50K mile warranty and some do not. Some will only warrant it if they install it, some will warrant it as long as it is Comptech. Again, it depends.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:02 PM
Safety Car

i personally think if you are after horsepower to take all the money you will spend on exhaust, intake and just apply it to a supercharger. yes i know its a lot more money but the gains will be noticable even without a dyno.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:32 PM
One on the right for me

I assume that comptech would have done plenty of research and development before mass producing their exhaust (why the hell else are you going to pay nearly a grand?), but installing a "bolt on" exhaust sometimes isnt as easy as it reads. i cant even remember how many times I have had different people come into my shop with "bolt on" exhaust systems made for their car that dont fit. Although the modification required is usually minor, its still a pain in the ass and most of the time i try to avoid getting involved with them. I highly doubt that comptech would even run into this problem with their systems since acuras/honda's are so popular any misalignment would probably damage their sales...although I have heard of reports where earlier gen TL's did have some fitment issues. 285 dollars to install exhaust i way too much however, call up your local exhaust shop and see what they say.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:19 AM
Instructor

Thanks for all the advice guys...I will call up the local exhaust shops around here and get a quote. I will post what they give me.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:45 PM
302.7 WHP 251.3 Torque

Hello Subinf:

I think you are the guy that wanted to know if my original 04TL cat back was available.. It is and it's your if you want it..

Call me 925 427-5197

No charge, but you have to go get it.. It's being held at Comptech..

Tim
Old 01-27-2005, 10:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Old 01-28-2005, 02:07 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

The install at a dealer may be the best choice even if it is a bit steep price wise. They will extract your old system with a degree of precision the muffler guys never heard of. You may want to keep the old system for possible re-install at a later date so it would be better if it were not cut out with a tortch. I would not trust my ride to a hack shop that specializes in Walker Advantage "one size fits all" mufflers.

Now take the 285 and think of 100 as the removal and 185 as the install.
If you can, some before and after pics of the back and underside would be great.

Good luck on your install
Old 01-28-2005, 08:19 AM
Instructor

Arrow

Originally Posted by triggle
The install at a dealer may be the best choice even if it is a bit steep price wise. They will extract your old system with a degree of precision the muffler guys never heard of. You may want to keep the old system for possible re-install at a later date so it would be better if it were not cut out with a tortch. I would not trust my ride to a hack shop that specializes in Walker Advantage "one size fits all" mufflers.

If you can, some before and after pics of the back and underside would be great.

Triggle,

Thanks for advice. I have decied that I am definately going to get it done from the ACURA dealer. I havent ordered the exhaust yet but will be in about a week hopefully. I will take some before and after pics. And I am thinking about keeping my old exhaust system just in case later on I need to reinstall it.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Does the 2004TL Comptech exhaust drone as bad as the 1999-2003 CT exhaust did? Ugh.. i had the ct exhaust on my TL-S for about two months before I was about to put a gun to those two exhausts -- the drone at highway speeds or anytime the rpms were around 2200-2500 ... horrible... and each time you put your foot on the gas .. it would just moan. However, when I started the car up in the morning, I loved that deep rumble and the rumble the car would make when i rolled out of the parking lot.

Absolutely NO power difference noticed. And I had the CT headers and intake as well. The one thing that actually did provide a nicer throttle response was the Unorthodox crank pulley .. but I got too worried about the wear and tear on the engine so I got rid of it.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Does the 2004TL Comptech exhaust drone as bad as the 1999-2003 CT exhaust did? Ugh.. i had the ct exhaust on my TL-S for about two months before I was about to put a gun to those two exhausts -- the drone at highway speeds or anytime the rpms were around 2200-2500 ... horrible... and each time you put your foot on the gas .. it would just moan. However, when I started the car up in the morning, I loved that deep rumble and the rumble the car would make when i rolled out of the parking lot.

Absolutely NO power difference noticed. And I had the CT headers and intake as well. The one thing that actually did provide a nicer throttle response was the Unorthodox crank pulley .. but I got too worried about the wear and tear on the engine so I got rid of it.

Can someone with the Comptech exhaust on their 04 TL already expand on this: Does the 2004TL Comptech exhaust drone as bad as the 1999-2003 CT exhaust did
Old 01-29-2005, 06:56 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by triggle

I dont know what kind of exhaust shops you have up there in Canada but south of you we take cars a little more seriously. I dont know if you have looked under the TL, but the exhast is easy as pie to remove. I find it hard to believe that you would trust a dealer more than an exhaust shop (with the exception of Midas). Dealerships do very little exhaust work, and with the exception of some bolt on, they use a third party for all exhaust reparts and installations.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:51 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Originally Posted by subinf
I dont know what kind of exhaust shops you have up there in Canada but south of you we take cars a little more seriously. I dont know if you have looked under the TL, but the exhast is easy as pie to remove. I find it hard to believe that you would trust a dealer more than an exhaust shop (with the exception of Midas). Dealerships do very little exhaust work, and with the exception of some bolt on, they use a third party for all exhaust reparts and installations.
I'll ignore the Canadian insults and stay with the facts. Most muffler shops deal with cars that are well past their warranties. Cars that have seen better days. The dealer has to deal with current model year vehicles and be responsible for the work that the perfectionists owners insist on. Muffler shops are a great way to save money if you own an 86 Chev with a bad tailpiipe.

So why defend muffler shops when they serve so well the segment they are squarely aimed at ? Soft spot ?
Old 01-30-2005, 03:59 AM
One on the right for me

Its hard to argue with someone about dealer work...its akin to attempting to sway a republican to vote democratic in the next election. I just find it hard to believe that most dealerships choose to send their exhaust work on both old and new cars to local muffler shops. Granted they wont sent it to the shop that doesnt have TIG/MIG welding capabilities, as there are those who want to have their SS systems taken care of, but the majority of good exhaust shops (you have to do your homework) will be more than capable of handling anything that comes there way, whereas the dealership will not. As soon as dealerships stop sending both bolt on and fabrication work to muffler shops I'll give you the point.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:00 AM
Banned

It is so easy to install yourself. A couple bolts and 3 pipe hangers. 1 hour tops!
Old 01-30-2005, 11:16 AM
302.7 WHP 251.3 Torque

Hello:

I have a Comptech Cat Back system installed on my 04TL. It was done at Comptech in their facility near Sac, CA.

I have no way to compare the sound to any earlier model years. It does have, what some might call a "drown", at about 2500RPM's, but since I am 55 some to be 56 and hard of hearing it is not bad..

Tim
Old 01-30-2005, 03:47 PM
TL Driva

pics??
Old 01-31-2005, 09:25 AM
302.7 WHP 251.3 Torque

Hello:

I took some pictures a few weeks ago, but I do not know how to load them to the web site.. I am currently in Miami, FL. I'll be back later this week and could get them to the site if I knew how..

Tim
Old 01-31-2005, 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by k6biv
Hello:

I took some pictures a few weeks ago, but I do not know how to load them to the web site.. I am currently in Miami, FL. I'll be back later this week and could get them to the site if I knew how..

Tim

go to www.imageshack.us

upload the pics there, it will tell you to copy the links here
Old 02-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cTLgo
go to www.imageshack.us

upload the pics there, it will tell you to copy the links here
Tim,

Did you ever upload the pictures to the website? I would like to see some pics of the comptech exhaust.

Has anyone recorded the sound ?
Old 02-03-2005, 09:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Tim,

Did you ever upload the pictures to the website? I would like to see some pics of the comptech exhaust.

Has anyone recorded the sound ?
I have asked Bay Area TL'rs' assist. Hopefully somone could do this over this weekend.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...81#post3850081
Old 02-04-2005, 10:14 AM
302.7 WHP 251.3 Torque

Hello Rets:

I will take some more pictures today after I get the car washed. It's been in the airport parking lot for a week. I too am hoping that someone can take an audio clip this weekend and post it. When I get the pictures taken I will PM you to make sure I know how to post them. I have a .Mac account that has a public place for files that I think I can load them too. If so, I just need to know how to link them here..

Thanks,

Tim
925 427-5197

Quick Reply: comptech exhaust