Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air intake for an '04 TL???

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 06:31 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Here's a queston for you. Where's the MAF on this engine??
There isn't one.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:11 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by No_Remorse
Just useless information on the Mustang vs TL comments...

Not that I have confirmed it with my TL (Nor could I probably), but I am sure everyone knows that mags like mototrend list the TL's 0-60 time is around 5.8 sec... I had a 2002 Mustang GT for a couple of years (Fun car, great stereo), and same sources list the 0-60 times around 5.6 seconds (Again, no personal experiance... although I had it upto 135Mph [215kmh] ).

From my perspective, I think the cars are relatively evenly matched. I find the pick-up on the TL to actually be better than the mustang (Lighter, better gear ratios in the MT?).

Of course, I think the Mustang has a lot more immediate potential then the TL for upgrades since the TL already has a tunned engine, where the 4.6L V8 in the mustang can easily have a lot more power pulled out of it with just a few simple mods.

Either way, just ramblings...
Honda pushes a lot of power out of small displacement engines I'm sure everyone has noticed. The fact that the TL can even come close to an engine 1.4L larger than it is a testament to Honda engineering. They already squeezed most or all of the potential from their engine, whereas many other manufacturers are happy just upping the displacement, therefore increasing weight and decreasing fuel economy, just for the desired power that most drivers will not even touch.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
To Aegir;

No kidding? No wonder it wasn't obvious to me.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:45 AM
Powered by Guinness

To Aegir;

Honest. If I've fallen and bumped my head on this one, someone please correct me.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:07 AM
Yeah, its STOCK!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
Prob is - it's still a Ford.
I sell fords!!! and FORDS ARE JUNK!!!

F ORD = FOUND ON ROAD DEAD! hahahhaha
Old 07-26-2004, 02:10 AM
Yeah, its STOCK!!!

Originally Posted by KilroyR1
Care to run against my 70 ft-lb Yamaha R1?

Don
I'll give your R1 a run with my GSXR 03 1k!!!!!

by the way, what year R1 do you have???
Old 07-26-2004, 08:50 AM
Instructor

Torque is what you feel most of the time in your normal driving.. that nice little push in the small of the back as you add throttle.
All this time, I thought that was acceleration. :P
Old 07-26-2004, 10:29 AM
Powered by Guinness

Originally Posted by kilrb
All this time, I thought that was acceleration. :P
Old 07-26-2004, 11:20 AM
2004 Acura TL SSM 6MT

Originally Posted by kilrb
Funny, I was thinking the same thing about my wussy 954RR. It would take 4 of our bikes to hang with a Mustang!

The 954RR rocks.

I find all this so funny. I can appreciate people wanting to make their car as fast as possible... but all this who-can-beat-who stuff... sheesh. I traded in my '02 Trans Am ram air on the TL because my bike made the TA feel SLOOOOOW. Now I want a semi-sporty, good looking, comfortable, luxury car... and I think I picked well. I drove all kinds of stuff, but always left feeling "eh" But when I drove the TL, I made a deal and left with it that night.

This is a CAI thread, folks!!!! Funny how it's suddenly become about Mustangs. Oh, BTW, there is a factory semi-CAI on the TL, as mentioned above... air is drawn in from the front bumper area on the left side IIRC. Of course, to make the car quiet, it's going to be silenced with somewhat restrictive measures; but you're not going to see huge gains (at speed).
Old 07-26-2004, 01:47 PM
Intermediate

Aem Cold Air

All I have to say is click the link and you will all be happy!!!!

http://www.aempower.com/pdf/dyno/21-...Acura%20TL.pdf
Old 07-26-2004, 02:06 PM
Powered by Guinness

Originally Posted by lowlife

Interesting presentation graphics. If they're backed up with real (independent) dynos, I'll be impressed and probably a customer.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:20 PM
Intermediate

I got those from the AEM website, I hope they are true or that would be false advertising.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:20 PM
Banned

Only one thing standing in the way of happiness...it isn't freakin' available yet. :sqnteek:
Old 07-26-2004, 02:22 PM
Powered by Guinness

I got those from the AEM website, I hope they are true or that would be false advertising.
I know, but those gains seem like a lot to expect from a CAI.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:31 PM
Intermediate

I heard it should be here for mid August.
And it does seem like a lot but even if they are off by 20% it should still be over a 16hp gain.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:52 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Aegir
I know, but those gains seem like a lot to expect from a CAI.
I don't believe them, and no it does not have to be false advertising. I meanlook at the gains in the 2000 range - both in HP and torque. I doubt it!

It is easily demonstrated that two dyno runs can be off by many HP. There is an article in SCC this month (hardly full of Nobel laureates) about how they got 42 HP variances in different dynos with a less powerful car than ours!!

Even on the same dyno, they could have waited 10 minutes between runs (it doesn't say how the tests were run, so it isn't false advertising - you would have to prove deception, not just honest mistakes). Ultimate Lurker on www.vtec.net has many posts about how sensitive Hondas are to intake air temps. Then, of course, there are the "correction factors", which can elevate the true readings (or lower) by 400%!! That can happen from a simple "mistake" or "oeperator error". Hey, I hope the AEM kaes all that power. But the factory cars are oretty dialed-in, and on the S2000, even the AEM only made a handful, and most everyone just does it to avoid street "heat bog" - which may be a worthwhile reason to go aftermarket, do not misunderstand me. But I would like to see the #'s being generated in real-world conditions but people I know and trust. It is just tooe asy and tempting to create "desk racer interest" as is here being demonstrated by fiddling with the #'s.

Also, one has to look for repeatable gains. Sometimes on CC'd cars, the lower restriction of the filter element can cause the ECM to get confused, and it will give a good result, but over a few driving cycles, re-adjust to get to its target baseline.

Now, the SC'd SVT Cobras barely got results better than the ones AEM is posting here, and they were mostly in the upper 4-6k range as I recall. And that inlet system was originally designed for a 4.6 liter SOHC, not the 400 CID supercharged monster (yeah, I know, it is still 4.6L, but the supercharger adds about 120 CID of inlet air, which when pressurized and goosed with extra fuel, effectively yields a 400 cube monster).

Do it for the sound if you like the noise, do it for the bling factor at the street your "peeps" inhabit, but for my money, I would wait until i see some independent affirmation before I put any HP in my signature - and where is the A/F curve, as well? Without that, one has no way of knowing if all the HP comes from "lean cuisine". Look at the CompTech numbers for the older TL's - most of the gains are up top, and are in part attributable to the differentce int he air filter elements alone. The Comptech uses a Unifilter (foam), and it does filter very well, although it is made well, looks cool, and flows well.

Again, just trying to pass on a little info and food for thought - not to question anyone's veracity here, but I need a better taste before I bite the hook, not to mention the line and sinker. AEM's job is to generate interest in a new market segment for them - mine is to be the helpful skeptic and look out for the interests of a group of folks I happen to be sympatico with. (That would be y'all).

Cheers!
Old 07-26-2004, 03:06 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
To Aegir;

There is no MAF on the S2000 either, and I too, was surprised. Honda has found a way to accurately meter fuel without troublesome MAF's*. However, the MAP on the S2000 is infamously troublesome (for a Hinda). Every once in a while, the car will run like crap, and the solution is one near and dear to mule trainers, and every shadetree mechanic worth a lick south of the Msson-Dixon line: you whacks the sombitch! Yup, a good rap with the plastic end of a screwdriver almost always does the trick.

The MAP's have been doing this for years on the little hot roadster, but the MAP remains. My 2004 doesn't do it, but it only has 1800 miles on it, since December 2003.

Southernboy: I had a bunch of Stangs in the 80's (85 (carb), 86, 87 (FI)), and they came mostly with 2.73's in the 8.8" Traction Lok, as you said. Optionals were an amazing 3.08!!! I ordered and installed about 10 SVO 3.73's, and it woke the car up, but the best was the 3.55's overall. However, they required a ring/pinion install, and all the necessary angle alignment to get it right - so mostly we ordered up the 3.73's which were under $500 delivered, and just swapped them out. The Stangs had a bad metering system(vanes) as I am sure you know, and later went to a MAF type.

*In the 2003 Supercharged SVT Mustang, the angle of the MAF's orientation made a differnce in the dyno pulls - Factory was at about 9 o'oclock orientation, with a 90deg bend from the fender air inlet. The aftermarket "straight-shot" intakes needed a 12 o'clock orientation, and even then, one had to playa round with filter size and inlet radius. The MAF does not like to see anything but laminar flow, or at least diminished air vortices in the airstream that hiuts the sensor. It could get all messed up, alternately going rich/lean, or lean/rich. Once we got them dialed-in with the right everything, we picked up over 20 rwhp.