3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air intake for an '04 TL???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 01:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Cold Air intake for an '04 TL???

Is there a Cold Air intake available for an '04 TL currently???
-How much of a horsepower increase should I expect with such an upgrade??? BTW, I have an automatic tranny.
-Is it a simple install??
Old 05-26-2004, 03:24 AM
Team Nighthawk Water Boy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CAI- not yet.. but i think aem is currently working on it..
but short ram, injen i think has one, and maybe comptech is working on an icebox?
Old 05-26-2004, 04:01 AM
I don't have a Ferrari in

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
doesnt add much
and besides, i will reiterate what everyone will say:
why would you want to add some amount of horsepower to a fwd luxury (or near luxury, whatever suits you) car...it doesnt make much sense

if you want to mod a 35k car, you should have gotten a g35
Old 05-26-2004, 08:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MasterTL
doesnt add much
why would you want to add some amount of horsepower to a fwd luxury (or near luxury, whatever suits you) car...it doesnt make much sense

Man, if you have that attitude, why'd you get a 270hp TL? I'm in the market to crank out some more hp. I love the sleeper-ness of the TL. Sure, some people might think it's silly to run old 225 horse Mustangs in a four door sedan, but I don't. Especially when I hand them their ass.

I have the Injen CAI, and I love it. It sounds normal below 4k, and sounds awesome above 4k. Injen's dyno numbers show about 11.5hp increase at the wheel, I believe on an automatic. I don't doubt it at all.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:19 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by kilrb
Sure, some people might think it's silly to run old 225 horse Mustangs in a four door sedan, but I don't. Especially when I hand them their ass.
I still can't understand anyone thinking the TL can hand a 225 hp mustang it's ass. That 225 hp mustang also has 300 lb/ft torque, as opposed to the TL's 238. And torque is what makes that mustang a faster car!

I love my TL, and yes, it is quick - but in no way would it ever beat my old GT, unless it gave me a head start........... But I also would love to squeeze out some more HP on the TL, that may possibly give that stang a good run
Old 05-26-2004, 08:28 AM
Intermediate

Think "Highway"... Honda's don't have any torque. A golfcart could almost smoke me off the line, BUT on the other hand, most of Honda's power is in the higher RPM range. I (in my v6 accord) can walk away from a 4.3 ltr V8 Mustang.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MadMen
I still can't understand anyone thinking the TL can hand a 225 hp mustang it's ass. That 225 hp mustang also has 300 lb/ft torque, as opposed to the TL's 238. And torque is what makes that mustang a faster car!

I love my TL, and yes, it is quick - but in no way would it ever beat my old GT, unless it gave me a head start........... But I also would love to squeeze out some more HP on the TL, that may possibly give that stang a good run
I beg your pardon. Torque makes a car go, but it is only part of the equation. That is why we compute horsepower. Horsepower factors in the useable range of power. It's all about power to the ground. A high torque engine with a low redline must be geared waaaaaaaaaaay higher in order to run on the street at reasonable engine speeds. The advantage it has in torque is lost when you gear it up. An engine with low torque and a high redline can be geared lower for the street, and thus, the power to the ground could be the same, or better. Your Mustang no doubt, has more oomph at 2,500rpms, but you have to look at horsepower when figuring how fast a car is. I have run a 5mt Mustang in my TL, and it couldn't hang. It's lighter, but it doesn't have the power the TL does (also, is your TL an auto, because I doubt an auto would hand a manual 5.0 its ass).
Old 05-26-2004, 08:50 AM
Intermediate

Question

Will gas mileage be sacrificed by using a cold air intake???
Old 05-26-2004, 09:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fanurios
Will gas mileage be sacrificed by using a cold air intake???
Mine doesn't seem to have been affected.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:08 AM
10th Gear

I beg your pardon. Torque makes a car go, but it is only part of the equation. That is why we compute horsepower. Horsepower factors in the useable range of power. It's all about power to the ground. A high torque engine with a low redline must be geared waaaaaaaaaaay higher in order to run on the street at reasonable engine speeds. The advantage it has in torque is lost when you gear it up. An engine with low torque and a high redline can be geared lower for the street, and thus, the power to the ground could be the same, or better. Your Mustang no doubt, has more oomph at 2,500rpms, but you have to look at horsepower when figuring how fast a car is. I have run a 5mt Mustang in my TL, and it couldn't hang. It's lighter, but it doesn't have the power the TL does (also, is your TL an auto, because I doubt an auto would hand a manual 5.0 its ass).
Yes, yes, yes - I understand the whole concept of horsepower vs. torque. It doesn't matter what the numbers are - all I know is that my bone stock 88 GT ran the 1/4 mile in 14.2 seconds. I've yet to see anyone run that kind of time in a stock TL. You may have been able to outrun a 14 or 15 year old mustang, and that would be understandable. Perhaps I'll try to get my 6MT TL to the strip, just to see what I can do with it - but I'm perfectly ok with the fact that it's not a faster car than the Mustang - it's in a completely different class.......
Old 05-26-2004, 09:10 AM
Burning Brakes

doesnt add much

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Stop speaking for everyone. I've been on this forum a while now and the vast majority do want to add some hp. Speak for yourself you newbie jerk :thefinger beacuse you don't know what you are talking about.

I have the Injen CAI. Bought it the first week it was available. It's not a lot more power, but it's a nice little increase. I love the sound when VTEC kicks in too. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. They say the AEM will be better. But it's like 3 months late getting to the market already.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:26 AM
Instructor

Yes, yes, yes - I understand the whole concept of horsepower vs. torque. It doesn't matter what the numbers are - all I know is that my bone stock 88 GT ran the 1/4 mile in 14.2 seconds. I've yet to see anyone run that kind of time in a stock TL. You may have been able to outrun a 14 or 15 year old mustang, and that would be understandable. Perhaps I'll try to get my 6MT TL to the strip, just to see what I can do with it - but I'm perfectly ok with the fact that it's not a faster car than the Mustang - it's in a completely different class.......
The Stang I ran was a '94 or '95 pre 4.6 liter car. So, it was about 10 years old, and I wouldn't knock it for its age.

I don't claim that my TL will rip him at the drag strip. He's got RWD, which helps immensly. But look at the mph the mags show for a 5.0 mustang in the 1/4 vs the mph of the TL. I have seen as high as 99mph for a manual, and that's at worst, even with the Mustang in the 1/4. If the TL is running a slower 1/4 at the same speed, that means it's making the Stang stop pulling. It may be running in the upper 14's, but that's because of the launching issues inherent in FWD cars, not because the Mustang is faster. When I say I ripped that 5.0, it wasn't off the line. We went around a corner in 1st, got side by side, and both romped on it. From anywhere but a launch, the TL is going to out-pull a 225 hp car. I'm guessing the newer 260hp versions will be much closer, because their power/weight is much better.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:07 AM
Racer

I had a 92 5.0 Mustang. The TL smokes it....
I had the car for 12 years and drove it for twelve years. There is just much more technology and power in the TL front wheel or not.
I still like the mustangs though.

? What does the the Cold air intake sound like over 4,000 Rpm. Does it sound fast and furious. Hope not. Might as well put that sloppy noisy exhaust on the car.
Would like to bump it up a notch but not be recognized by other TL owners.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Prob is - it's still a Ford.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:10 AM
Time to POWER UP!!

From a rolling start od 30mph or faster the TL will beat most Stangs. The mustang has a better 1/4 mile time but has less pull after 80-90 MPH. When the Vtech kicks in is when the TL will pull on the stang.

Ask my neighbor.. He'll confirm the butt kickin :devil:
Old 05-26-2004, 10:18 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Michaelvg1
What does the the Cold air intake sound like over 4,000 Rpm. Does it sound fast and furious. Hope not. Might as well put that sloppy noisy exhaust on the car.
Would like to bump it up a notch but not be recognized by other TL owners.
You know how your TL has a quiet, growling sound at full throttle above 4k? It's that same sound, but quite a bit louder. It's all up front, so it doesn't sound like some ricer exhaust noise. I would describe it as the sound a nice, tuned Ferrari engine would make without loud exhaust(ok, I'm sure it's not the same, but having not ridden in a Ferrari, that's what I thought of). Just a beautiful, growl that is loud enough to be sweet, without sounding too much like a wanna-be race car.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Advanced

Hey guys does putting on an intake end your warranty? just wondering.. I want to slap on an intake on my black beauty, the dealer told me "the car already has an intake" i felt like slapping him, its stock... not the same.!
Old 05-26-2004, 12:08 PM
Reelect Al Gore!

Originally Posted by fanurios
Is there a Cold Air intake available for an '04 TL currently???
-How much of a horsepower increase should I expect with such an upgrade??? BTW, I have an automatic tranny.
-Is it a simple install??
Actually, there IS a cold air system for the '04 TL made by Injen.

http://www.injen.com/index5005.html

It has received good feedback, though I have not personally seen it. I called a performance shop here in Phoenix and was advised that they could get the parts and install for around $500, which I thought to be a pretty fair deal.

There are two methods of installation:
1) Under the hood - Generally more work involved to get all of the plastic out of the way.
2) Through the Driver's Side wheel well - This is what most of the folks on this forum have gone with and what I would opt for the shop to do since there is less work involved and fewer pieces that need to be removed.

Anyway, I hope that helps. If people want to continue complaining about mod'ing their cars, they should start a new thread.

I hope that this answers your question.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zero523
Hey guys does putting on an intake end your warranty? just wondering.. I want to slap on an intake on my black beauty, the dealer told me "the car already has an intake" i felt like slapping him, its stock... not the same.!
The only way it will is if they can prove the part caused the problem. My dealer says when Comptech comes out with theirs, and if I were to have them install it, there would be no issue at all. But they'd have to show that my Injen actually caused the problem to claim the warranty was void.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:33 PM
Instructor

Talking

doesnt add much

AMEN....TL will never have as many mods as the G35

N

E

V

E

R

I

R
E
P
E
A
T

Never :banghead:

the g35 has over 7 CAI available and over 100+ MODS Available NOW!!!!
Old 05-26-2004, 10:54 PM
Intermediate

Just useless information on the Mustang vs TL comments...

Not that I have confirmed it with my TL (Nor could I probably), but I am sure everyone knows that mags like mototrend list the TL's 0-60 time is around 5.8 sec... I had a 2002 Mustang GT for a couple of years (Fun car, great stereo), and same sources list the 0-60 times around 5.6 seconds (Again, no personal experiance... although I had it upto 135Mph [215kmh] ).

From my perspective, I think the cars are relatively evenly matched. I find the pick-up on the TL to actually be better than the mustang (Lighter, better gear ratios in the MT?).

Of course, I think the Mustang has a lot more immediate potential then the TL for upgrades since the TL already has a tunned engine, where the 4.6L V8 in the mustang can easily have a lot more power pulled out of it with just a few simple mods.

Either way, just ramblings...
Old 05-27-2004, 05:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I though Acura tuned the '04 3.2 vs the '03 TL-S by upping the comp ratio, installed a free-er flowing exhaust and put in a semi-CAI air intake ?

For the cost of getting a couple of HP it may not be very cost effective. Reducing weight will have more of an impact.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by No_Remorse
Just useless information on the Mustang vs TL comments...

Not that I have confirmed it with my TL (Nor could I probably), but I am sure everyone knows that mags like mototrend list the TL's 0-60 time is around 5.8 sec... I had a 2002 Mustang GT for a couple of years (Fun car, great stereo), and same sources list the 0-60 times around 5.6 seconds (Again, no personal experiance... although I had it upto 135Mph [215kmh] ).

From my perspective, I think the cars are relatively evenly matched. I find the pick-up on the TL to actually be better than the mustang (Lighter, better gear ratios in the MT?).

Of course, I think the Mustang has a lot more immediate potential then the TL for upgrades since the TL already has a tunned engine, where the 4.6L V8 in the mustang can easily have a lot more power pulled out of it with just a few simple mods.

Either way, just ramblings...
I agree 100%. Sure, the Mustang is going to be quicker from the line to 60, or at least it will be ahead of a TL, because of its RWD. But you said it; the pickup on the TL is stronger anywhere that traction isn't an issue. And, yeah, the Mustang has a lot more potential for bolting on parts that will drastically make it a TL crusher.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:55 AM
Advanced

I traded my '01 GT (few few mod's) for the TL. Hands down I enjoy the TL more, but as far as it being able to "hand a GT it's ass" I don't notice that at all. It's very quick for a four door car, but it isn't in the same class for off the line performance as the Mustang. That being said, I wouldn't own another Mustang, felt like it was rattling apart after 24k miles and they are aren't worth anything when they are being resold based on the number of them in the market.
Just my .02

EZ
Old 05-27-2004, 11:33 AM
Advanced

The only way it will is if they can prove the part caused the problem. My dealer says when Comptech comes out with theirs, and if I were to have them install it, there would be no issue at all. But they'd have to show that my Injen actually caused the problem to claim the warranty was void.
thanks kilrb, =)
Old 05-27-2004, 05:06 PM
HMFIC

Care to run against my 70 ft-lb Yamaha R1?

Don
Old 05-27-2004, 06:43 PM
Instructor

Speaking of intakes, I wonder If K&N will make a kit for the TL. I don't know where K&N stands in the hierarchy of air induction systems but was just curious.
Craig
Old 06-01-2004, 09:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KilroyR1
Care to run against my 70 ft-lb Yamaha R1?

Don
Funny, I was thinking the same thing about my wussy 954RR. It would take 4 of our bikes to hang with a Mustang!
Old 06-01-2004, 09:52 AM
Rum Runner

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion
I traded my '01 GT (few few mod's) for the TL. Hands down I enjoy the TL more, but as far as it being able to "hand a GT it's ass" I don't notice that at all. It's very quick for a four door car, but it isn't in the same class for off the line performance as the Mustang. That being said, I wouldn't own another Mustang, felt like it was rattling apart after 24k miles and they are aren't worth anything when they are being resold based on the number of them in the market.
Just my .02

EZ
Amen, Lion. I too traded in a lightly modded '01 GT for my TL. Night and day difference in terms of ride quality and smoothness. I would never go back to Ford, unless it's that '69 Boss 302 that I've always wanted...
Old 07-15-2004, 09:48 PM
Semper Fi

Mod the TL all you want youll never beat my Stang . Only way I think the TL would take a GT is if it were a Convert with an automatic transmission, or a driver that doesnt know how to drive a stick properly. -As far as driving enjoyment I love driving any one of my vehicles just depends on what kind of mood I am in.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
But a 4cyl Accord can beat a 6-cyl mustang .. boy did I embarrass my neighbor with that one. Accord may only be 150x150, but boy it delivers it well in the 5MT. We raced out of two red lights, I pulled away from him easily and steadily. Having a high redline shows when it was time for him to shift when he drifted back and I still have a few more thousand to go.. Award: Honda. But anyone will admit it is a pretty pathetic 6cyl they stuff in there (mustang)
Old 07-16-2004, 11:57 AM