Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Slave damper reinstallation

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 06:51 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Clutch Slave damper reinstallation

Within a week of driving my TL , based upon positive comments for folks here on the forum, I removed my clutch slave cylinder damper. After a couple of months driving the TL, I have come to the conclusion that I prefer the clutch response with the damper in place. Why? Well, it's not easy to explain, but I'll give it a try;

Imagine this: you have your mother-in-law (who you like) and your wife in the TL. You're going to a fancy joint and you're trying to drive as smoothly as possible. Since the clutch engagement point is higher (in my opinion) than on most cars, with the clutch slave damper removed every time you shift there is a bit of a jerk right at the end of the clutch engagement. Not cool, and in fact is really annoying. If I really concentrate I can modulate the clutch carefully (again, right at the top of the clutch pedal travel) and make it smooth, otherwise it jerks. So anytime I am not paying close attention this happens...Argghh!

Only thing is that I can't remember which way the damper goes into the slave cylinder....Anyone remember? Open end first? Or closed end first?

Last edited by LoveMyTL-S; 06-05-2012 at 07:51 AM.