3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Slave Cylinder Replacement, Difficulty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 04:20 PM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Clutch Slave Cylinder Replacement, Difficulty?

Hey everyone my clutch yesterday lost pressure and hit the floor had to pump several times to get it in gear.
Checked the car today and looks like fluid leaking from slave cylinder, reservoir was completely empty btw.

Any write up on replacing it? How much should I expect to pay if I end up getting the shop to do it?

I was able to fix the clutch temporarily by bleeding it and getting air out & I think it may be a very slow leak so I am also thinking of just topping off once in a while but it's probably best to replace it.

Btw car has almost 69k.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,188 Likes on 893 Posts
The slave cylinder is attached to the trans. I believe on the V6, it's external. Should just be 2 bolts and a hydraulic line.

If you bled it, it pretty much explains itself by looking at it.

Or...are you referring to the master cylinder on the firewall?

At 69K, you shouldn't need either component for a LONG time.

If the fluid has never been changed, it tends to seep out because of the contaminants. The problem can often be fixed by filling the reservoir, and removing the dirty fluid via a turkey baster. Repeat til its clean.

Bleed/flush fresh fluid through the system. Usually the issue goes away.

Last edited by BROlando; 05-24-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Sounds like you master cylinder is failing. It's kind of a pain to replace. Definitely doable. But a pain. I removed/reinstalled one 4 times in the past year (long story). By now, I can do it with my eyes closed

If your CSC failed, you would see fluid leaking from it, near the transmission. If you don't see any fluid, it's the CMC failing. The internal gaskets are failing and fluid is making it past them.

One thing I suggest- replace it with an OEM CMC. It will make your life easier, even though it is way more expensive. I bought an aftermarket one, only to find out it was faulty, right out of the box. Of course, I didn't learn that until it was installed and I was trying to bleed the system... No matter how many times I tried, by the end, it just didn't work as it was supposed to.

Just follow the factory service manual for replacing it. Also, watch a youtube video or two. I found an RSX video for replacing it... it was pretty much identical, located in the same spot (between the firewall and the driver's side strut tower. That's the only hard part of that job- getting it back into place. Otherwise, it's not all that hard.
The following users liked this post:
YungMoola15 (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 04:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Roland_Bluntzs
The slave cylinder is attached to the trans. I believe on the V6, it's external. Should just be 2 bolts and a hydraulic line.

If you bled it, it pretty much explains itself by looking at it.

Or...are you referring to the master cylinder on the firewall?

At 69K, you shouldn't need either component for a LONG time.

If the fluid has never been changed, it tends to seep out because of the contaminants. The problem can often be fixed by filling the reservoir, and removing the dirty fluid via a turkey baster. Repeat til its clean.

Bleed/flush fresh fluid through the system. Usually the issue goes away.
Yeah that's what I thought too, mileage is so low. I am wondering maybe it's never been topped off and reservoir went dry but I saw fluid dripping under the cylinder.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:42 PM
Team Owner

I also did a thorough write up on bleeding it properly. I'll dig it up and post it here as soon as I find it.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:43 PM
Team Owner

Oh. Yeah. If it's leaking, then yeah, the CSC needs to be replaced. It's actually really really easy to replace the CSC. I highly suggest you get an OEM one again, though.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Sounds like you master cylinder is failing. It's kind of a pain to replace. Definitely doable. But a pain. I removed/reinstalled one 4 times in the past year (long story). By now, I can do it with my eyes closed

If your CSC failed, you would see fluid leaking from it, near the transmission. If you don't see any fluid, it's the CMC failing. The internal gaskets are failing and fluid is making it past them.

One thing I suggest- replace it with an OEM CMC. It will make your life easier, even though it is way more expensive. I bought an aftermarket one, only to find out it was faulty, right out of the box. Of course, I didn't learn that until it was installed and I was trying to bleed the system... No matter how many times I tried, by the end, it just didn't work as it was supposed to.

Just follow the factory service manual for replacing it. Also, watch a youtube video or two. I found an RSX video for replacing it... it was pretty much identical, located in the same spot (between the firewall and the driver's side strut tower. That's the only hard part of that job- getting it back into place. Otherwise, it's not all that hard.
Yeah I saw fluid by transmission, also what brand after market did you buy? I was thinking of LuK?
Old 05-24-2017, 04:45 PM
Team Owner

Here is the bleeding methodology. It's like half way down the page:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...system-954199/
Old 05-24-2017, 04:46 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by YungMoola15
Yeah I saw fluid by transmission, also what brand after market did you buy? I was thinking of LuK?
I bought LuK for both the CSC and CMC. The CMC was faulty right from the manufacture. F*** that noise. Ended up buying an OEM one and it worked perfect. After the CMC debacle, I threw the brand new LuK CSC in the trash and bought an OEM one
Old 05-24-2017, 04:50 PM
Racer

I bought LuK for both the CSC and CMC. The CMC was faulty right from the manufacture. F*** that noise. Ended up buying an OEM one and it worked perfect. After the CMC debacle, I threw the brand new LuK CSC in the trash and bought an OEM one
Ah shit thanks man, I actually ordered it already on amazon.. I am cancelling the order now since it hasn't shipped yet.
Also do you know the brand for CSC? The CMC is made by NISIN correct?
Old 05-24-2017, 04:51 PM
Team Owner

Yes, Nissin.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,188 Likes on 893 Posts
It should be stamped on the housing.

Buy it from Acura. The aftermarket version may or may not be the same.

curry acura or bernardiparts...both good discount dealer sites.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:53 PM
Racer

Yes, Nissin.
Is the CSC also made by NISIN?
Old 05-24-2017, 04:54 PM
Team Owner

No. It's made by Nissin. Not NISIN.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:31 PM
Racer

No. It's made by Nissin. Not NISIN.
Hey sorry to bug again.
Can you point me to a Slave cylinder on eBay? I can find master but no slave made by NISSIN
Old 05-24-2017, 08:36 PM
Racer

Also are all honda slave/master same? Can I just use an accord cylinders or S2000? I think since 6MT TL are so rare that maybe the fit search is only pulling up specific listings that have the TL as a fit rather than everything.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:02 PM
Team Owner

Buy it online from a dealer.

Delray Acura has pretty good prices. I can't confirm differences between clutch ylinders.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:04 PM
Team Owner

Buy it online from a dealer.

Delray Acura has pretty good prices. I can't confirm differences between clutch cylinders. I've never looked at any others (why would I?).

I wouldn't search for nissin. I would search for the honda part number. Again, you can find it on Delray's site.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:14 PM
Racer

Fingers crossed I may have fixed the issue. I flushed the clutch line because there were ton of air & since this post the car shifts smoother than before, I haven't been losing fluid & don't see any leak.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:10 AM
Team Owner

I wonder if you're bleeder valve on the CSC was left just a tiny bit open, causing fluid to very slowly leak out and consequently air to go in.