Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 07:20 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Issue

Good morning guys. I have a few questions about the clutch (05 TL 6SPEED). I have been hearing a creaking/ clicking sound when the clutch is depressed and released. My TL has been to the dealer three times and they have yet been able to fix the issue. So far, the spring bushing and slave cylinder has been replaced. Yesterday (third time in service for same issue), the service manager said the creaking sound was considered normal. As he was pulling the car into the garage the creaking sound was louder (more noticeable). He knew something was wrong so he asked the technician. I have read on this forum that the master cylinder could be the issue. I asked the technician if he looked at it and he said the sound is coming from the transmission. So today, they are taking apart the transmission trying to find the issue.

My question for you guys is could this creaking/ clicking sound be coming from the clutch?

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nope you'd here something mechanical not a creaking. does it occur when u lift off the pedal?...outside the car?....when the car has been sitting for a long period of time?.... i have to bring the car in for a clutch master cylinder and hoses from the pedal to the cylinder to the tranny....mine creaks a few times but only after it sits for a few days. then after its warm it goes away. give some more details if u can.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Advanced

The creaking/ clicking sound occurs when pressing and lifting off the clutch pedal. The sound feels like a rusted spring and can be heard from both outside and inside the car. It is louder from outside the car. To me, the sound comes from underneath the brake fluid reservoir.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:36 AM
Advanced

The sound can be heard when the car is off or on. It does not matter if the engine is hot or cold.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by silver_alty
Good morning guys. I have a few questions about the clutch (05 TL 6SPEED). I have been hearing a creaking/ clicking sound when the clutch is depressed and released. My TL has been to the dealer three times and they have yet been able to fix the issue. So far, the spring bushing and slave cylinder has been replaced. Yesterday (third time in service for same issue), the service manager said the creaking sound was considered normal. As he was pulling the car into the garage the creaking sound was louder (more noticeable). He knew something was wrong so he asked the technician. I have read on this forum that the master cylinder could be the issue. I asked the technician if he looked at it and he said the sound is coming from the transmission. So today, they are taking apart the transmission trying to find the issue.

My question for you guys is could this creaking/ clicking sound be coming from the clutch?

Thanks.
I just had a similar issue resolved with my '05 TL last week. I had two clicks depressing the clutch and two clicks coming back up. I could not only hear the clicks, I could feel it in my foot. It was at its worst when the inside of the car/cabin was warm.

It took two trips and four days at the dealer to resolve the issue. Here's what they ended up replacing:
clutch pedal assembly
switch assembly
master cylinder
adjusted pedal height
bleeded clutch fluid
clutch switch

Clicking sounds are gone. Luckily it was all done under warranty and I got to drive a brand new loaner: loaded 2009 TSX with 5 miles on the odometer. Total cost to me: $0.00.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Possibles.

Clutch pedal spring. Pressure plate diaphram fingers.

Have someone to help you with these tests. Get an automotive stethascope and listen at the swivel attachment point for the clutch pedal. Next, locate the release fork boot, put the stethascope there and listen. What you are trying to do is isolate the area where the sound is coming from.

Question. Under normal driving, does your clutch shutter during engagement from a stop?
Old 07-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Instructor

Thanks.
Here is the video from my similar thread: http://youtube.com/watch?v=zdF1SwiseXQ

Does this sound about the same?
Old 07-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Possibles.

Clutch pedal spring. Pressure plate diaphram fingers.

Have someone to help you with these tests. Get an automotive stethascope and listen at the swivel attachment point for the clutch pedal. Next, locate the release fork boot, put the stethascope there and listen. What you are trying to do is isolate the area where the sound is coming from.

Question. Under normal driving, does your clutch shutter during engagement from a stop?
Not to hijack the thread but I have been noticing my clutch shuddering a little more than normal when engaging 1st gear (although I have been driving with the ac on-which really affects this car as I use minimal rpms to move the car). The clutch is NOT slipping however at full throttle. I have 75k on the car and I really dont want to spend 2k on a clutch. I plan to get rid of the car in about a year.
I just had my recalls taken care of and I complained about the clutch "click" that would occur-especially when the car is warm. They "fixed" it (but didn't tell me what they did) and 2 months later my pedal now has a "crunch" when I depress it.
I have the extended warranty to 100k-should I make an appointment? Dealers always have a way of screwing you and I hate taking my car to them.
Besides a few bulbs going out and my leather looking like shit despite my obsessive care, the car has been trouble free for the 40k miles I have owned it.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Advanced

The Acura technician said the clutch bearing is defective. Part plus labor is $800. What do you guys recommend? I researched the "creaking clutch sound" on google and it seems that the master cylinder is the main problem.

Also, what is worse case scenario if it does not get fixed?
Old 07-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ridenfish39
Not to hijack the thread but I have been noticing my clutch shuddering a little more than normal when engaging 1st gear (although I have been driving with the ac on-which really affects this car as I use minimal rpms to move the car). The clutch is NOT slipping however at full throttle. I have 75k on the car and I really dont want to spend 2k on a clutch. I plan to get rid of the car in about a year.
I just had my recalls taken care of and I complained about the clutch "click" that would occur-especially when the car is warm. They "fixed" it (but didn't tell me what they did) and 2 months later my pedal now has a "crunch" when I depress it.
I have the extended warranty to 100k-should I make an appointment? Dealers always have a way of screwing you and I hate taking my car to them.
Besides a few bulbs going out and my leather looking like shit despite my obsessive care, the car has been trouble free for the 40k miles I have owned it.
This is more than likely due to not starting off with sufficient engine speed (RPMs), then having to add a little more throttle to compensate. I wouldn't worry about this.. just raise the engine speed a little and see if that solves the problem. This happens to me on occasion when I am caught be surprise with traffic suddenly starting to move and when using the A/C.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

The Acura technician said the clutch bearing is defective. Part plus labor is $800. What do you guys recommend? I researched the "creaking clutch sound" on google and it seems that the master cylinder is the main problem.

Also, what is worse case scenario if it does not get fixed?
He probably meant the release (throwout) bearing.

Worse case scenario would be a destroyed clutch and release bearing.