Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Feel

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Clutch Feel

OK gang- weird one here. I have a 2006 6 sp MT TL with roughly 50k miles. I have noticed in the past few months that the clutch engages much smoother than it used to. No slippage that I can feel when the clutch engages. Hold tight under fast acceleration. Car will still stall if I do not push in the clutch while stopping. When the car was new the clutch grabbed like grim death and it took at bit of work to keep the shifting smooth. Lately you can barely feel it when I shift. is the clutch starting to go? OR is it that I am just getting better at the clutch? Thanks gang-
Old 06-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I suspect you've just acclimated yourself to your clutch over the months. Our clutches have caused some people problems in the beginning of their ownership. A short take-up* with not much forgiveness during initial engagement tends to throw some people off a bit.

If it's not slipping and all other actions are normal, then you're good to go.

* Take-up is the distance the clutch pedal travels from initial engagement to full engagement. Not to be confused with clutch pedal travel - which is also relatively short.

Last edited by SouthernBoy; 06-28-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I've kinda noticed that about me too...it's gotten alot smoother lately...is it true that a clutch will adjust to the way you drive or something like that? Maybe that happened if that's the case?
Old 06-28-2010, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by chay823
Yeah I've kinda noticed that about me too...it's gotten alot smoother lately...is it true that a clutch will adjust to the way you drive or something like that? Maybe that happened if that's the case?
No it isn't. Our pressure plates are self-adjusting, but that's as far as it goes. The thing about a clutch, almost always, is not the clutch at all. It's the operator. Quite frankly, most people who drive a vehicle with a manual transmission, do not really know how to do so correctly. In order to understand this, you must have a mechanically logical knowledge about how they work and what goes on. Let me give an example.

How many times have you seen someone sitting at a light in their manual vehicle on an incline, waiting for it to change while holding their vehicle not with the brake, but with the clutch. And maybe taking a little further by "playing the clutch" (engaging enough to move forward a little, then letting it up to allow the car to coast backwards). People like this are not mechanically logic and their actions are proof. They don't know what's going on in there when they do this. They don't realize the amount of heat being generated by the friction between the partially engaged components.

But then again, it's their vehicle so they can certainly do as they wish.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:53 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
How many times have you seen someone sitting at a light in their manual vehicle on an incline, waiting for it to change while holding their vehicle not with the brake, but with the clutch. And maybe taking a little further by "playing the clutch" (engaging enough to move forward a little, then letting it up to allow the car to coast backwards). People like this are not mechanically logic and their actions are proof. They don't know what's going on in there when they do this. They don't realize the amount of heat being generated by the friction between the partially engaged components.
Good way to ruin the clutch! I believe it is also true that when sitting at the light it is best to put the car in 'neutral' and release the clutch. True? I seem to remember my old man replacing some bearing in the clutch on his old '73 Duster. Then again that was a spring clutch and not hydraulic!

Driving the MT on my TL compared with the MT on my '97 Civic did take some getting used to. Especially with the engine speed being adjusted with each shift.

Thanks for all the info!
Old 06-29-2010, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2ManyHobbies
Good way to ruin the clutch! I believe it is also true that when sitting at the light it is best to put the car in 'neutral' and release the clutch. True? I seem to remember my old man replacing some bearing in the clutch on his old '73 Duster. Then again that was a spring clutch and not hydraulic!

Driving the MT on my TL compared with the MT on my '97 Civic did take some getting used to. Especially with the engine speed being adjusted with each shift.

Thanks for all the info!
Yes this is true. The bearing of which you speak is called the release bearing, sometimes referred to as the throwout bearing. It is sealed and constant contact of this bearing with the release fork will shorten its life.

As for "a spring clutch and not hydraulic", this has nothing to do with the workings of the clutch components specifically and actually there is no such thing as either of these anyway. What you may mean is a rod or cable actuated clutch versus one controlled by a hydraulically operated system (as in our TL's).

Here's two other things you should do to prolong the life of your clutch and your synchronizers. When sitting at a light in neutral waiting for it to change and it turns yellow for the other traffic, instead of putting your transmission directly into first gear, go into third gear and then go into first. This will decrease wear on the first gear synchronizers.

When downshifting, always double clutch - or at least rev-match. Rev-matching will significantly reduce clutch wear. Double clutching does this as well plus it reduces synchronzier wear.

If you have questions, ask away. That's what I'm here for.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:30 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Southernboy, I enjoy reading all your post concerning manual transmissions.
Here are some of your post:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...rrect+shifting

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/how-hard-learn-how-drive-stick-762841/

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...rrect+shifting

Last edited by justnspace; 06-29-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:32 AM

Here are some excerpts from some writings I've done over the years. Hope these get you started in the right direction. If you have questions, please feel free to ask.

And remember. Just because someone has been driving a manual transmission for years does not mean they know how to do it correctly. Don't absorb bad habits.

================================================== ========

What follows is a collection of writings which I have posted at various times on this website in an effort to help answer some questions regarding the proper manner in which a manual transmission should be operated. While there are certainly many ways to drive a car with a manual transmission, there is really only one correct way. I was most fortunate to have learned these techniques while I was still in my teenage years. In so doing, I was able to avoid developing entrenched habits before they became really bad habits and difficult to correct. It is my hope that this helps you learn what I have learned and perfected over the years. If you do, you will reap the rewards, both financial and in the knowledge that you have mastered a technique that few do in their lifetimes. Have fun!

Under normal driving situations (not racing), when you start out from a standing start, you do so with the lowest possible RPMs, get the clutch out to full engagement as soon as you can while adding throttle. If you do this correctly, the transition will be smooth and seamless, and the wear on your clutch disk, pressure plate, release bearing, and flywheel will be minimized.

If properly designed (sufficient size and clamping pressure, etc.), and properly installed with no defects (correct torque, non-faulty equipment, alignment, etc.), then the next, and most important, factor to the life of the clutch assembly is the operator.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON WHY A CLUTCH CANNOT LAST THE LIFE OF THE ENGINE UNDER NORMAL DRIVING CONDITIONS.

When I speak of engine life here, I am referring to life before a serious teardown or part replacement such as a timing chain (200,000+ miles) or headwork. If you cannot get at least 100,000 miles out of a clutch, you are doing something terribly wrong. Obviously, racing and other extreme conditions such as towing constitute a whole different approach and, as such, do not come under this.

Don'ts:

Do not use any more engine speed (RPMs) than absolutely necessary to get the car rolling in first gear.

Do not hold the car on a hill with the clutch.

Do not wait for a traffic light to turn green with the transmission in gear and the clutch depressed.

Do not rest your foot on the clutch while driving.

Do not ride the clutch in any gear (obviously you will to a small degree in first to start off).

Do not down shift by just removing your foot from the gas, moving the shifter into a lower gear, then releasing the clutch slowly.

Do's

Start off smoothly and with low engine speed, and shift in such a manner that if you had a passenger on board, they would not even notice the shifts.

Hold the car on hills with the brakes.. that's what brakes are for. NEVER hold a car on a hill with the clutch. The amount of heat generated by doing this is incredible.

While waiting for a light to change or while sitting in heavy traffic, put the transmission in neutral and get your foot completely off of the clutch petal. Leaving it in gear for extended periods heats up and shortens the life of the release bearing. The normal condition of a clutch is fully engaged so it stands to reason that's where it should be most of the time.

Resting your foot on the clutch petal while driving engages the release bearing.. see above.

Avoid riding the clutch as much as is humanly possible. You will extend its life significantly.

If you do not know how to properly downshift, DON’T. Use the brakes (should do this anyway), and avoid downshifting any more than necessary. Improper downshifting is analogous to riding the clutch because that is what you are actually doing. Learn how to properly downshift first and save yourself the frustration of premature clutch failure.

Clutches are wear items, heavily affected by heat caused by friction. In a front wheel drive car, they are costly to replace, so unless you like shelling out a lot of money periodically for the replacement of these components, learn the correct way. Learn it until it becomes second nature like breathing.

Downshifting

Ah yes, downshifting. If I had to name just one facet of manual transmission errors-of-operation, this would probably be it.

To understand how to operate a manual transmission, you have to know how the clutch assembly and transmission work, and I am going to take the assumption that most do on this forum. I will only clarify synchronizers. They serve to match the speed of the gears in the transmission as the shifter is moved to a given gear. Now for downshifting.

Let's say you are in fourth gear and you are approaching a stop sign, so you decide to downshift from fourth gear into third. What most people do is just remove their foot from the throttle, depress the clutch while moving the shifter from fourth to third, then start releasing the clutch slowly until they achieve full engagement. If you do this, what you are actually doing is riding the clutch in third gear. After all, the engine has returned to idle (or close to it), you get into third, then just ease the clutch out which pulls the engine from idle up to the RPM's at which it will operate at whatever speed you are traveling in third gear. Here is the correct way to do this in steps that I will break down in a moment.

Raise your foot off of the throttle.

Depress the clutch.

Start the shifter up into third.

As you pass through the neutral gate, let the clutch out a bit (doesn't have to be all the way) while at the same time blipping the throttle to increase engine speed BEYOND that which it will operate in the chosen lower gear.

Depress the clutch again.

Engage the chosen lower gear.

Let the clutch out while adding throttle.

As the engine RPM's decrease they will be met by the engaging clutch and opening throttle.

This should be a simple, smooth, fluid motion and you will know you've done it right if there is no jerking as the clutch comes out in the last step. Now for some details.

As you move into the neutral gate with your foot off of the throttle, the engine RPM's will be returning to idle. This is the point at which you want to blip the throttle a bit while at the same time engaging the clutch some. You want to get the engine turning faster than it will when you are in the lower gear you have chosen. The reason is that you want to spin the gears up to a speed that equals that at which they will be operating when you finally release the clutch in your downshift. If you do this right, there is no clutch slippage because the engine and the gears in the transmission will be spinning at the same or nearly the same RPM's. No slippage means you will get into gear with full engagement of the clutch sooner and with virtually no wear. To best understand this, you really need to know how a clutch assembly and transmission work together to deliver power from the engine to the drive wheels.

This takes a lot of practice, but if you get it down, you will be heads and shoulders above just about anyone else who drives a car with a manual transmission. You will begin to notice the mistakes other are making when they drive. Learn from their mistakes and it will both save you money and make you a far better driver.

So it's in with the clutch, start the shifter into the chosen lower gear, while passing through the neutral gate, blip the throttle and at the same time engage the clutch a bit to spin up the gears, then back in with the clutch as you get into the chosen gear, then finally release the clutch in one smooth operation.

Here's another little tip. Say you are waiting at a light for the green and your transmission is in neutral like it should be with your foot completely off of the clutch petal. When the light turns green, instead of just depressing the clutch and pushing the shifter up into first, pull the shifter partially into a higher gear first, such as second or third. The gears in those selections are not spinning as fast as the gears in first. By starting the shifter into a higher gear before you go to into first gear, you will cause less wear on the synchronizers and they will last far longer because they do not have to stop gears which are spinning at a higher speed. For cars which do not have synchronized reverse, definitely do this and you will not experience the grinding affect when shifting into reverse.

Say you are driving normally, shifting up through the gears to the one in which you wish to be for cruising. As you disengage the clutch and move the shifter to the next higher gear, you might notice a slight resistance just before you finish the shift. What you feel is the synchronizer for that gear forcing the drive gear(s) from the input shaft and the gears selected to "mesh". That is to say, their speeds are forced to equalize so that as they engage, there is no grinding and no damage to the gear teeth. That said, we can move to double clutching.

Instead of going right into first as the light starts to go green, try starting the shifter into second gear.. don't have to go all the way into gear, though it won't hurt. This slows the gears down just as though you had gone on into first, but it's much easier on the synchronizers. And you won't get the "crunch" you mentioned when you have to move quickly.

To prevent rollback; practice, practice, practice, practice.

One way to do this is to find a nice little hill someplace where you won't be a bother to anyone. Take along some masking tape and mark off two sections with the tape a foot apart. Your goal is to keep the car from coasting back more than 1 foot.. of course you do not use the clutch to hold the car.. use the brakes. As you learn to do this, find another hill a little steeper. And so on, and so on.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 663 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace

I agree. When I first joined A-zine, I spent time reading a lot of Southernboy's threads that I found while researching the GM syncromesh fluid and they're very informative. I've always rev-matched on downshifts but I've yet to try the double-clutch technique. I plan on keeping this car a while so anything I can do to preserve wear items is a plus.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Instructor

So does the GM fluid make the throws in your shift smoother? Cuz I notice some notchiness in my 3rd to 4th shift
Old 06-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

So does the GM fluid make the throws in your shift smoother? Cuz I notice some notchiness in my 3rd to 4th shift
I saw virtually no difference when I started using it at 15,500 miles, but then again, I had never experienced any of the problems others have reported. However, others have definitely noticed the improvements you asked about.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:39 AM

The 3rd gear problem is covered under a TSB. If it is not severe, you might want to consider just doing a drain and fill of your transmission fluid with General Motors Synchromesh Friction Modified fluid (part #12377916).
Old 06-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 663 Posts

I didn't have notchiness in my 3rd to 4th shift but I had the grinding/pop-out issue while shifting into 3rd. After making the switch to the GM fluid, I haven't had the issue occur even once. I noticed smoother shifts right on the first drive after my drain & fill.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Ok...maybe it's just me...idk. I've come a long way in driving this car from when I first started. Thanks to using some of SouthernBoy's tips of course thanks for the call that time when I was struggling with the 1st to 2nd shift and jerkin like a fool...Its smooth as silk now.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

Ok...maybe it's just me...idk. I've come a long way in driving this car from when I first started. Thanks to using some of SouthernBoy's tips of course thanks for the call that time when I was struggling with the 1st to 2nd shift and jerkin like a fool...Its smooth as silk now.
You're most welcome. And good for you! Now you are really enjoying your ride.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You've definitely gotten used to it. My left leg is much stronger than my right leg now, after all these years of driving with that clutch AND i've already had a rebuild done which is just further increasing my left leg strength. )
Old 06-30-2010, 08:18 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
is it a bad thing to be in a higher gear at a lower speed??....like if i am crusing around 40-45 mph i will often go ahead and get into 6 gear and cruise at this speed....the way i look at it is the higher the gear you are in, the less the engine has to work, and the better MPG i am getting...as long as the engine can still give enough power and isnt struggling i do this...
Old 07-01-2010, 06:27 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by JORTS
is it a bad thing to be in a higher gear at a lower speed??....like if i am crusing around 40-45 mph i will often go ahead and get into 6 gear and cruise at this speed....the way i look at it is the higher the gear you are in, the less the engine has to work, and the better MPG i am getting...as long as the engine can still give enough power and isnt struggling i do this...
Laboring your engine is never a good idea and using 6th gear at those speeds can certainly do that. I would recommend not using 6th until you are doing 55+ MPH unless you are on a level stretch of road, A/C off, and light traffic. In those cases, you could use 6th at 50 MPH.

Keep in mind, our engines are not large and are don't have a lot of torque so laboring them (also called lugging them) is not their friend. For 40-45 MPH, I'd stay in 5th and if you are faced with some hills, 4th is better.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Laboring your engine is never a good idea and using 6th gear at those speeds can certainly do that. I would recommend not using 6th until you are doing 55+ MPH unless you are on a level stretch of road, A/C off, and light traffic. In those cases, you could use 6th at 50 MPH.

Keep in mind, our engines are not large and are don't have a lot of torque so laboring them (also called lugging them) is not their friend. For 40-45 MPH, I'd stay in 5th and if you are faced with some hills, 4th is better.
agree with SoutherBoy. I don't go into 6th unless I'm doing at least 60mph on open flat roads. 5th gear is a 40-45+ if I'm not doing stop and go and on flat surface. 4th gear for 35-40 if i'm doing a constant speed, not stop and go.