3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CLK430 VS AT04TL (after break in period)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 01:03 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must say that I was impressed while driving the MB C320 and this wans't the AMG 32 and the car salesman told me to take the on ramp (listed @ 25mph) and punch it. So I took it at 70mph and the thing simply hugged and was completely level. It was very impressive and like I said...it wasn't the AMG.

So I would think the AMG, even more so could handle it's own in the corners and then some.

I have also heard that the TL doesn't fare too good in the area. I didn't have a chance to test this while driving it and the Acura salesman wasn't as ambitious to do so like the MB salesman was. He was very confident and after taking that turn, I felt good about the MB.

Damn, I would love to test drive one of the AMG's though. I also was seriously considering dropping the dough on a C32 AMG and I read about the Audi S4 too but if I'm going to spend that much money (which at this moment, I don't think I will) I would spend it on an MB.

I get the feeling that b/c we're talking about Mercedes and BMW that others feel like it's cheating on our significant other. It's good to mix it the posts though as I still love the TL but sneaking off topic once in awhile feels good now and then too.

Remember, it's like Hugh in Carl's Jr. commercial said. " I love it, doesn't mean I want it every night!" LOL
Old 12-16-2003, 01:27 AM
Comptech Freak

lol
i remember my test drive of the new TL...

the salesman wanted me to push as HARD as i could to get the best of the car...

their approach to the new TL is "go ahead and beat the car anyway u like, as long as u like it"

they want to let u know the TL is for real, it is not a family sedan~
Old 12-17-2003, 05:53 PM
GO SEMINOLES!!!

Originally posted by Nickerz
I believe the TL runs 14.5 1/4 mile times (auto).

I agree about MB starting off sluggish, which was my experience with the C320 but I haven't driven an AMG (which bumps the sticker price up about $20K) and I hear the AMG's put you back in your seat at the touch of the pedal. Have you been able to drive any AMG's?
no i haven't been blessed to test drive the AMGs, but i bet it'd be fun though. I drove the new C 320, 230 kompressor, E 500... i liked the E class the most.

oh oh, i sat in a new SL, oh man, i was a rock star for a sec
Old 12-17-2003, 06:29 PM
10th Gear

If you are comparing a MB CLK to the 04 TL you are comparing apples to oranges. The CLK is a 2 door sports sedan. You could probably compare it to the Acura CL. Now if you are comparing any of the C-Class MB that is a better comparison to the 04 TL. And it is common sense, that the 04 TL will put a MB C-class to shame not just in the performance but in the value. You get way more with a 04 TL for what you pay. The only C-class that could out do the 04 TL is the AMG model and then that is another apples to oranges comparison. Don't compare the 04 TL to any AMG vehicle until acura comes out with its modified TL.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:44 PM
AC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: My current AMG has smoked M5's

Originally posted by ndabunka
My 2001 CLK55 ///AMG has smoked quite a few M3 and even the M5's. Granted some cars have more HP than others and from what I've seen mine may be a little quicker than most 55's. On curves it's a little different but there are additional handling kit's that you can buy for these "toys" that makes 'em stick like Porsches. The CLK GTR (Bascially the same car as mine with the handling pkgs and 600+HP) is a contender on the circuit. My AMG car will slam you into the seat and keep you there through about 110MPH (and the first 1/4mile in 13.0 flat. Talk about a kick in the pants! But alias, even I am reliquishing it in favor of a more "family" car. I'm certain more AMG's are in my future, just not my current future. Now, if you can boost the HP on the '04TL by about 60HP you might have something that could content with my CLK55 (simply because the TL if lighter). So, I am looking forward to the tuning toys that come down the pipe in the future. In short, if you see an AMG in your new TL, be smart and treat it like a venomous snake least it decide to jump up and bite you in the butt (for now).
Interesting...when I had my RS6, I beat CLK55s and E55s pretty decisively (not current E55), the M5 always gave me a better run off the line and on moving starts. I almost rear ended a CLK55 on the freeway going from 75 to about 100...

Anyway, I don't understand how some people can say that the current TL will run circles around the MB. I raced 3 TypeS with my wife's E500 and beat them all by an average of 3 to 4 cars from stop to 80, not the current TL but I can't imagine 10HP making a world of difference. the 6spd should be a much better match due to shorter gears. But then the E500 does have 7 spd so I don't know how close the gears are. The CLK430 vs 04TL should be very close...I don't know about CLK430 "smoking" the new TL or the last gen TLS...the CLK isn't that fast. I advise if you race don't go over 80 cuz YOU WILL LOSE.

The TL is a GREAT value car no doubt, but certainly not an off the line Hot Rodder. I think the TL performs very well from 0 to 80 then it starts to drop off. As for handling, its a FWD and naturally will have massive understeer.

As for TL vs C32, you have to ask yourself what you're looking for in a car. If you want speed, get a C32 (obviously) but if you want a 4 door "semi-sporty" sedan then obviously the TL. I've driven my buddy's 04 TL and was VERY inpressed with the interior...much much better than my 00 TL. As for power, it didn't feel much faster than the last gen TL if any faster (maybe cuz the car felt heavier?). If I didn't make the kind of money that I do, the TL would certainly be top 3 on my list of cars to buy.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:06 PM
Instructor

I think it depends on:
whom you are racing,
what you are racing,
and where you are racing.

You could put a sane driver in an S600 and a crazy M.F. in an 04TL..

Start off at the local Police station parking lot, race to the closest State Trooper/Highway Patrol station, cicrle it 4 times, and go back to the starting point to do several LAPS around said local Police station.

The one that is not arrested is the winner.

Yah.

Lets compare an 04TL to a frikin S600.

Too much deep thinking ...
NathanSilver
Old 01-17-2004, 12:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by wavshrdr
I disagree with the take on the AMG versions of the MB. I have spent a fair amount of time showing my tailights to the supposedly better handling M3 or Z3 (M version), Z4 and I am not talking about just high speed roadwork.

It would be interesting to see how many of you actually have spent time in some of the vehicles than basing opinions on what magazines have written about them. I feel there is a BMW bias in the media so "If it has the little prop on the hood, it must be good" (said in the voice of the great defender of OJ Simpson as in "If it does not fit, you must acquit!).
I have totally to disagree with you. My E55 is fast, and the torque is super amazing. But other than pure straight line acceleration and much better interior then my departed M5, E55 just can't stand a leg on fun to drive. Steering response and brake response is poor. My E55 has spend more time in the garage collecting dust. Since picking it up on 10/31. I have about 600 miles on the car. While my M3 in the same time period had another 2k miles put on it.

I have complained hard on the mbworld on how screwed up the E55 steering and brake response is. I am not the only one who feel that the brake pedal feedback is beyond poor.

None of the new mercedes has sharp and linear steering response like BMW does. I will be more than happy to dump the E55 when the new M5 comes out. (hopefully I will get it before the year end).