Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate Control Annoyance

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Babnik
That's ridiculous, of course you can contrl the temp of the air with the a/c off. Setting the temp higher causes more hot air to be diverted from the engine into the cabin, whereas setting it to the lowest setting causes only outside air to be pulled in without blowing it through the radiator/coolant.

Now if you want to make the claim that the coldest air can be without the a/c on is the temp of the outside air, then that is correct.

My complaint was that the automatic climate control takes away control from me, and turns on the a/c when it's not necessary.

For example, if the temperature outside is 22 degrees celcius and I want the temperature inside my car to be 22 degrees, why is it necessary to turn the a/c on, rather than simply blowing in outside air? Yet the climate system will turn on the a/c, thus putting extra load on my engine, reducing my mileage, and causing extra wear and tear, when it ISN"T necessary.
Exactly.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
The main gripe I have is that the temperate cannot be adjusted without putting the system into auto mode.

So if I want to turn on just the fan (no a/c) but I want to change the temperature of the air the fan is blowing, I have to press auto, which may or may not cause the a/c to turn on (but usually will), then I have to adjust the temp, then I have to turn off the auto again. Compare this with cars without automatic climate control, where all I'd have to do is turn the dial to the desired temperature.

The dual zone climate control is another useless feature which I hate, but at least it doesn't come into play unless I press the dual button so I can ignore it.

Another complaint, why does the non-navi TL not have an inside temperature readout? It obviously knows what the temperature is because the automatic climate control system needs to know that in order to work, why did the designers choose to not display that somewhere?
Yours works quite a bit different than both my '04 and '05 TL's. I can change my temperature and my fan speed at will without my A/C coming on.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Yours works quite a bit different than both my '04 and '05 TL's. I can change my temperature and my fan speed at will without my A/C coming on.
I don't understand what he is saying. They should all work the same way. The only way a/c comes on when I don't want it to is when the climate control was off and I had just turned it on. After shutting off the a/c, I can control the temp and air flow without the a/c coming back on until I shut it off and turn it back on again. And no, I do not want to leave the climate control on all the time.

It says right in the manual, in summation...It is recommended that you leave the a/c on because a/c reduces the amount of moisture in the air making the environment more comfortable etc. etc.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

Gentlemen;

A few minutes ago, I went out to my garage, started up my '04 manual TL, and ran it on fast idle to get the engine temperature up a bit. My HVAC was set as follows when I did this;

o Fan speed at two.
o Temperature at "Lo".
o Vent direction through the dash.
o A/C off (in other words in MANUAL mode).

These are my normal settings for this time of year when not using the A/C. I them did the following;

o Increased the fan speed by three increments then back down to its normal setting.
o Raised the temperature to "Hi", felt it with my hand, lowered it back to "Lo" and felt it again with my hand.
o Turned off the engine.

At no time did the A/C come on and when the temperature was raised to "Hi", you better believe that it was very warm. Likewise, when reduced back to "Lo" it was ambient.

This leaves me with the conclusion that either Acura used different HVAC systems for different parts of the country (highly suspect) or perhaps some on this thread do not know how to fully use the system. I vote for the later.

The A/C only comes on automatically when you select an option that does this, such as the defrost button or the AUTO button. BTW, you can use defrost without using the A/C.. I do this frequently. From the MANUAL mode just say, "Climate control floor and defrost".

Hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe it's a difference between navi and non-navi cars?

If I turn on my system (by pressing the mode button), it'll turn on into manual mode (assuming it was in manual mode when I turned it off), and at this point I cannot change the temperature, and the temp reading does not show on the hvac screen. If I press the hot or cold buttons, nothing happens. When I press the auto button, only THEN the temp reading shows up, and the hot/cold buttons work. Then if I don't want the a/c compressor to work I have to press the auto button again to go back into manual mode and it will continue using the temperature setting I last set while in auto mode.

Maybe I'll read thru my owner's manual later today, perhaps there's some setting I'm unaware of.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:13 PM
Racer

Gentlemen;

A few minutes ago, I went out to my garage, started up my '04 manual TL, and ran it on fast idle to get the engine temperature up a bit. My HVAC was set as follows when I did this;

o Fan speed at two.
o Temperature at "Lo".
o Vent direction through the dash.
o A/C off (in other words in MANUAL mode).

These are my normal settings for this time of year when not using the A/C. I them did the following;

o Increased the fan speed by three increments then back down to its normal setting.
o Raised the temperature to "Hi", felt it with my hand, lowered it back to "Lo" and felt it again with my hand.
o Turned off the engine.

At no time did the A/C come on and when the temperature was raised to "Hi", you better believe that it was very warm. Likewise, when reduced back to "Lo" it was ambient.

This leaves me with the conclusion that either Acura used different HVAC systems for different parts of the country (highly suspect) or perhaps some on this thread do not know how to fully use the system. I vote for the later.

The A/C only comes on automatically when you select an option that does this, such as the defrost button or the AUTO button. BTW, you can use defrost without using the A/C.. I do this frequently. From the MANUAL mode just say, "Climate control floor and defrost".

Hope this helps.
You're either not comprehending my post or not reading it. SHUT OFF the climate control, turn it back on any way you like. The a/c will be on no matter what temp or setting it is on.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:15 PM
Racer

Maybe it's a difference between navi and non-navi cars?

If I turn on my system (by pressing the mode button), it'll turn on into manual mode (assuming it was in manual mode when I turned it off), and at this point I cannot change the temperature, and the temp reading does not show on the hvac screen. If I press the hot or cold buttons, nothing happens. When I press the auto button, only THEN the temp reading shows up, and the hot/cold buttons work. Then if I don't want the a/c compressor to work I have to press the auto button again to go back into manual mode and it will continue using the temperature setting I last set while in auto mode.

Maybe I'll read thru my owner's manual later today, perhaps there's some setting I'm unaware of.

Mine is different than that. Temp is always displayed, manual or auto, and it always allows you to change temp. There must be custom settings. Although I read through the manual and didn't see anything specific.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Hmmm I just read the climate control section of my owners manual and it seems to indicate that the temp control buttons should work regardless if you're in manual mode or auto.

This leads me to believe either my car is broken and I never even knew, or I just didn't notice how it works. I'm too lazy to go run my car now but I'll test this out next time I drive. Perhaps just the temp reading doesn't show up in manual mode and that made me assume the temp buttons weren't working when they actually were. In any case I would still prefer no auto mode and dials instead of buttons. My friend's Mazda 6 has a much nicer setup.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Johnny_b
You're either not comprehending my post or not reading it. SHUT OFF the climate control, turn it back on any way you like. The a/c will be on no matter what temp or setting it is on.
I think yo'ure wrong, the a/c will not turn on if you turn the system on into manual mode UNLESS you set the mode to defrost, then the a/c always runs.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Burning Brakes

By the way I am Canadian so perhaps there is a difference in Canadian market TLs?

I know we have some differences like a bigger windshield fluid reservoir, larger heater core, perhaps this is another difference.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:22 PM
G Force

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a weird thread....

My AC works however, I wanted, never had any problem... whenever you leave the setting and then turn the engine on again, it'll be the last setting...

If I left Auto (A/C lights not on), it'll back with Auto.

If I left the A/C lights on, and the setting no matter Lo or whatever temp number, it'll be like that next time I turn on the engine...

However, you might be right, mine is a 07 TL-S.

Maybe they've changed something?
Old 05-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Racer

I think yo'ure wrong, the a/c will not turn on if you turn the system on into manual mode UNLESS you set the mode to defrost, then the a/c always runs.
Well, I'm not hallucinating. I know what happens in my own car.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:22 AM
Registered Member

I never did try it from the actual OFF setting I'll admit because I never use that setting. I'll try it and see what happens, thanks.

There is one thing we may all be overlooking here. If I'm not mistaken, the system reverts to the preferred setting of the driver #1 or driver #2 selections which is controlled by which key is used for the car. So if your "driver mode" was set while the A/C was invoked in AUTO mode, that would probably be what you get when first starting the car. Seems I may have seen something about this.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

It's not a matter of "not comprehending my post or not reading it" though not comprehending your use of the word "off" may be more in line with not only my reading of your posts but other's as well. I just went back and re-read all of your posts and it is the one above which most clearly makes your case.

So I just went out to my car and tried what I read on the above post. After starting my '04's engine and letting the NAV come up, I literally turned off the HVAC system via the "OFF" button. All items displayed in my info window related to the HVAC disappeared. Then I did what you suggested and just pressed the "^" fan speed button, and the system came back on again, but just like you originally stated.. it came on in what appeared to be the AUTO mode with the A/C on. I then had to manually turn off the recirculate selection and the A/C button.

So you are correct with this operation and I apologize for misreading you questions and statements. It never really occurred to me why anyone would want to turn off their HVAC system since this shuts down everything, including the venting into the cabin. Therein lies the discrepancy.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:15 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
It never really occurred to me why anyone would want to turn off their HVAC system since this shuts down everything, including the venting into the cabin. Therein lies the discrepancy.
x 2.
I think OP is actually making more work for himself by pushing additional buttons when he doesn't need to, since the vent function is retained in memory on starting/stopping the car when using either the "Mode" or "Auto & A/C off" method.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Racer

Actually the climate control is making more work for me by putting the a/c on in manual mode automatically. It is called manual for a reason. It should be off, and give me the option of putting it on. Not the other way around. All I was pointing out originally was the lack of logic of manual mode putting on the a/c automatically. It doesn't make sense.

I guess it is just a habit of shutting off the climate control and radio when I get out of my car most of the time. Part of getting used to a new car.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:42 PM
07TL-CBP

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
But guys... the OP just needs to find out how to turn on fan without the A/C staying on - not the merits of A/C, which definitely has advantages.

There are times of moderate outdoor temps - when it is nice to lower the windows and run the fan to clear stuffiness or slight warmth in slow traffic. Or for people (e.g. my wife) who are very sensitive to A/C dry air. I have had no luck strictly running the fans only.

Maybe there are changes in the model years, but on an 07, with auto off and fan on, the temperature is still displayed and remain regulated - i.e. auto off - fan on - temp setting on 72, A/C will stay on to keep temp at 72. I guess there is really no way to manually bypass auto entirely and run fans. Maybe the voice commands mentioned in this thread could be the answer
Old 06-01-2009, 06:18 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by pokin
But guys... the OP just needs to find out how to turn on fan without the A/C staying on - not the merits of A/C, which definitely has advantages.

There are times of moderate outdoor temps - when it is nice to lower the windows and run the fan to clear stuffiness or slight warmth in slow traffic. Or for people (e.g. my wife) who are very sensitive to A/C dry air. I have had no luck strictly running the fans only.

Maybe there are changes in the model years, but on an 07, with auto off and fan on, the temperature is still displayed and remain regulated - i.e. auto off - fan on - temp setting on 72, A/C will stay on to keep temp at 72. I guess there is really no way to manually bypass auto entirely and run fans. Maybe the voice commands mentioned in this thread could be the answer
There certainly is in the '04 and '05 and you don't need to use voice commands to make these settings. You can do it by pushing buttons if you want. Most of the time, my '04 is set to MANUAL use. Those times when I want to use my A/C, I just select a cabin temperature, then press the AUTO button and let the system do its work. A few miles before I reach my destination where I am going to let the car sit for the rest of the day (as in my garage for example), I rever to MANUAL mode and set the fan speed on high to start drying out the evaporator in order to eliminate any chance of musty odors.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pokin
I guess there is really no way to manually bypass auto entirely and run fans. Maybe the voice commands mentioned in this thread could be the answer
Just hit the a/c button and it will shut off. All I want to do is turn the fan on without hitting the a/c button to shut it off.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Love My Acura!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just my 2 cents worth

I have a 2005 TL (non-nav) which I recently purchased used. I also had a 1st generation TL (1996) that I drove from 2001 until about 2 months ago.

I think what some may be missing is this: In order for the system to allow control of the temperature - it has to be in "Auto" mode - but you can hit the "A/C" button to manually turn off the compressor. Then it will vary the temperature mixing door and turn the coolant flow on or off to the heater core if needed to control the temperature within the limits of it can't go colder than ambient, but it can always go warmer than ambient.

And, at least in the non-nav TL, when you turn the car off in this mode, when you start it back up - it will come back up in the same mode - as long as you use the same key fob -- if the personalized settings are turned on.

If you are running in this mode - true you cannot completely turn off the blower - you can only lower it to the lowest setting.

In the 1st Gen TL If you hit the auto button it said "Full Auto" Then everything was fully automatic and the compressor ran at all times - or cycled on and off to keep the evaporator at approximately 33 degrees (just above freezing). If the ambient temperature is below 35 degrees, then the compressor will never come on. On the 1st Gen, if you changed the fan speed, or changed the air flow (vent, bi-level, feet, defrost, etc) then the word "full" would go off leaving the word "auto" on.

In my 2005 - they don't use the word "full" anymore - but when you hit the "auto" button - it goes into full auto mode. Then anything you hit to alter the full auto setting will take it out of "full" auto until you hit "Auto" again. And one of those buttons you can press to alter the full auto setting is "A/C" which turns the compressor off.

Now - as to my opinion about the Automatic Climate Control! - I love it and after having it - I never want a car without it. To all of you who complain about it - go buy a Ford Escort with manaul crank windows and non-powered door locks. For goodness sake! the TL is supposed to be a "Luxury" car. And although maybe not as luxury as a Lexus LS 430 - having automatic climate control is one of those things most people expect and appreciate in a "luxury" car. Just my 2 cents!

Robert
Old 06-05-2009, 05:22 AM
Registered Member

One nice little side benefit of a Nav TL is that the Nav is hooked into the HVAC, the bluetooth, and the sound system. The Nav-to-HVAC interface is interesting. Say you're driving north on an I-95 from Florida during the hot summer months at 4:00pm and you are using your A/C (AUTO mode for this discussion). Your Nav knows where you are, the direction you're traveling, and the time of day and year. It will automatically divert a little more cooling to the driver's side since the sun is more in the western sky. If you were heading south at this time, the reverse would be the case.