Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Bra - Long Term duration

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 07:42 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clear Bra - Long Term duration

I'm thinking of installing a clear bra and have some concerns. Your input will help me decide whether I should or not.

Please, post replies to these questions only if you've had a clear bra on your vehicle for at least a year!

* How well is it holding up?
* Does it maintain it's gloss over time?
* Do scratches/swirls appear over time (as compared to the painted surface)?
* Is the film yellowing or dulling?
* Does the adhesive hold uniformly, or have you noticed any lifting on the edges?
* Do you wax it as you do your painted, unprotected surfaces? If not, how do you keep it shiny?
* Is it hard to keep clean?

Feel free to add any additional comments you may have.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Instructor

Subscribes
Old 07-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
* How well is it holding up? Perfectly
* Does it maintain it's gloss over time? Yes
* Do scratches/swirls appear over time (as compared to the painted surface)? No
* Is the film yellowing or dulling? No
* Does the adhesive hold uniformly, or have you noticed any lifting on the edges? Uniformly
* Do you wax it as you do your painted, unprotected surfaces? If not, how do you keep it shiny? Protected with Zaino
* Is it hard to keep clean? Not at all

The keys to a successful clearbra application are a quality product and a quality installation. I used ROCKBLOCKER for the precut material and used Rockblocker's recommendation for an installer. The clearbra has been on my car for 2 years 3 months and 57,000 miles. Best money I ever spent on a mod.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Pro

Thanks ChuckDu,

Truly appreciate your comments.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:11 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When I finally DO get a TL i'm thinking clear bra / protective film for the following:

Front Bumper
Front of Hood
Between the top of the windshield and the sunroof
Both Mirrors
Headlights (unless it distorts the light)

Does that sound like overkill? Those are the spots my accord gets hit with and after $7k in paint work on it I figured my insurance company won't want to pay that again so a clear bra would be good -_-
Old 07-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Timmahh
When I finally DO get a TL i'm thinking clear bra / protective film for the following:

Front Bumper
Front of Hood
Between the top of the windshield and the sunroof
Both Mirrors
Headlights (unless it distorts the light)

Does that sound like overkill? Those are the spots my accord gets hit with and after $7k in paint work on it I figured my insurance company won't want to pay that again so a clear bra would be good -_-

In addtion you might want to concider protecting the front of the rear wheel by the bottom of the door.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:23 PM
Team Nighthawk member

You may also want to consider some clear bra on the top of the rear bumper to protect it from people who don't load the trunk carefully. By the way, I've had my clear bra on for 2 years, 55,000 miles and it still looks as new and as invisible as the day I had it installed.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have clear bra both on my TL and Accord for 1 year, about 10,000 miles on each car.

* How well is it holding up? Still very well.
* Does it maintain it's gloss over time? Yes.
* Do scratches/swirls appear over time (as compared to the painted surface)? The film is softer than the paint, so yes, some scratches do appear over time.
* Is the film yellowing or dulling? The film itself is not 100% clear, no film is 100% clear. On my silver Accord, the film looks a touch yellow, but on my Anthracite TL, it's not visible.
* Does the adhesive hold uniformly, or have you noticed any lifting on the edges? Little lifting does occur, but they can be trimmed.
* Do you wax it as you do your painted, unprotected surfaces? If not, how do you keep it shiny? I wax it as often as I wax the car with Meguiar's Quik Wax or NXT. Any white wax will do just fine.
* Is it hard to keep clean? When the car is dusty, the film attracts more dust than the paint.

The film I use is Venture Tape. The other popular film is 3M. A lot of companies name their product RoadBlocker, Invisigard, etc, but they usually use either 3M or Venture.

Venture Tape doesn't have clearcoat while 3M does. The difference is mainly in appearance and ease to upkeep.

The film that doesn't have clearcoat usually shows much less orange peel. It's also easier to stretch and more stretch-mark resistant. Venture Tape shows a little texture that's hard to see when it's clean. I've seen 3M films and it does have more orange peel. It also shows stretch marks easier. When installed, 3M film looks a little glossier than the uncovered panels.

However, the films without clearcoat can easily stain compared to those with clearcoat. To protect it, regular waxing is needed.

The film will show different effect on different colors. I was told that gray or darker silver will hide the film very well. White will show much of the yellowing effect, etc.

I talked to a few installers before I chose Venture Tape, installed by Premier Mobile Group, based in the Bay Area. Some of these installers have samples on their own cars, and I haven't seen a film that isn't more "yellow" than the paint.

IMO, the clear film industry will still evolve as it's not as good as I'd like. But it's a good protection for your car and I'm willing to live with its imperfection to protect the paint.

If you want, talk to Premier Mobile Group (http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/). They've covered many exotics with good results and they have lifetime warranty. They also travel around the world to install the clear bra.

They installed the film in my garage when they were touring Southern Cali. I had a few issues early on and they took care of them quickly, no questions.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Pro

260HP...

Great information! Especially the bit about yellowing and the comparisons between Venture and 3M. VERY helpful.
In reference to your comment about how the bras appear on different paint colors is interesting, and it's something I had not thought about in my original post. From your comments, it sounds like the darker, or more metallic paints have fewer visibility issues. My car is MRP...so based on what you say, it will most likely hide the film well. The white 'wax-lines' that will inevitably appear at the edges of the bra are a concern with the darker colors. But being careful when applying wax should help, and I've read that using a Q-Tip to remove excess build-up in those areas is effective.

RCED...

My car is an 07, so it already has the clear film installed in front of the rear wheelwells from the factory. But if it wasn't there I'd surely want it there as well.

MaFreCoLa....

Another great suggestion about the top of the bumper!

Thanks guys for all the info, this is really helpful. Nothing like being an informed consumer before buying.

<ONE MORE QUESTION> What are everyone's thoughts on self-installation over professional? I read the installation instructions from 3M's website, and I'm fairly confident I can do this myself.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:47 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
I've heard that the weather in your area is an important aspect to consider. A clear bra installer I used recommended 3m with it's clearcoat protection in areas that see snow.

Personally, I would never go for anything without the 3m clearcoat. Heard too many stories of clearbra installers having to replace old yellowed non-3m film. My guy also did the door edges.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

ChicagoBurbs, I recommend hiring a professional for installation. Depending on the cut, most likely two people are needed to cover the bumper neatly because the film has to be stretched.

I'd talk to a bunch installers, too, about which color hides the film better, etc. Clearcoated films do require less maintenance, but it's also more visible on most colors, due to its orange peel look and stretch marks. Non clearcoated films need more maintenance, but it's also less visible.

My coworker drives a British Racing Green Lotus Elise and he got the front end wrapped with 3M film. The film is definitely VERY visible, too visible for me, because people can tell the change of reflection between the wrapped and unwrapped panels.

To avoid white wax lines, you can use painter's tape to cover the film edges before you wax the car. A little extra time/effort, but it's worth it over time.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Cruisin'

And... anyone know that is it easy to take off these clear bra when they went dull/yellow and need to replace, without damage the paint?
Old 07-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Intermediate

I, too was worried how the car would look with this film (3M). I was acually a little nervous once I decided to do it......but fear no more! I have the antracite and you can only see it from a certain angle. I too protect with zaino, but any wax should do.

What I love most is when there's a crap load of bugs on my front bumper, and I can easily scrub them off without the worry of scratching my paint!

Time of ownership.....1 year for about 20,000 miles.

Fear no more and just do it already!
Old 07-08-2007, 04:06 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by ChicagoBurbs

* How well is it holding up? verygood
* Does it maintain it's gloss over time? yes
* Do scratches/swirls appear over time (as compared to the painted surface)? Haven't seen any
* Is the film yellowing or dulling? no
* Does the adhesive hold uniformly, or have you noticed any lifting on the edges? holds uniformly
* Do you wax it as you do your painted, unprotected surfaces? If not, how do you keep it shiny? yes
* Is it hard to keep clean?no
ClearBra installed at dealer before I drove off the lot. 27 Feb 2006. I seen where a couple rocks have hit it, thankfully clearbra was on or the paint would have been chipped.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Instructor

* How well is it holding up? Perfectly
* Does it maintain it's gloss over time? So far
* Do scratches/swirls appear over time (as compared to the painted surface)? None that I see
* Is the film yellowing or dulling? Not in the least
* Does the adhesive hold uniformly, or have you noticed any lifting on the edges? Uniformly
* Do you wax it as you do your painted, unprotected surfaces? If not, how do you keep it shiny? It can be waxed if you want and I do wax it
* Is it hard to keep clean? Not at all, it is easy to get the bug guts off of

I had mine installed within two months of getting the car and that was over a year ago. It cleans easily and so far has done it's job. Most of the time you can not see it unless you look or I did a poor job removing the wax on the edges. Mine is Venture Shield.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I wish I would've heard about this product 45K ago. My whole front end is chipped and sand blasted along with a small dent on the hood/grill and a chip in the windshield. Freeway miles are really taking their toll. The car looks so bad in fact that I'm getting ready to file an insurance claim to get the whole front redone. After I do this it will be getting the clearbra for sure. What's the price with installation run?
Old 07-09-2007, 09:04 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My report is good, but not quite as good as some of the previous:
• How well is it holding up? OK, but you have to be careful not to “scuff” it. I tried to clean mine with a handkerchief once and had to get that small section replaced.
* Does it maintain its gloss over time? The gloss has faded some, but you still don’t notice it unless you look for it. I keep my car waxed with Zaino and it just doesn’t shine like the waxed metal.
* Do scratches/swirls appear over time (as compared to the painted surface)? Not at all. Mine has taken some hits including hitting some small flying wood pieces with minimal damage.
* Is the film yellowing or dulling? Dulling slightly on anthracite.
* Does the adhesive hold uniformly, or have you noticed any lifting on the edges? Holds perfectly.
* Do you wax it as you do your painted, unprotected surfaces? If not, how do you keep it shiny? Wax just like the paint.
* Is it hard to keep clean? Same as paint, but have to be careful removing bugs or tar.

The most wear is evident on the rear view mirrors with lots of marks. The front of the car looks great after 55,000 miles and 3 ½ years as it has no chips. Overall, I am very pleased with the product. I will probably get another one when I replace my TL.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
In interest of full disclosure, I work for 3M.

* How well is it holding up? Great
* Do scratches/swirls appear over time (as compared to the painted surface)? Not yet
* Is the film yellowing or dulling? No
* Does the adhesive hold uniformly, or have you noticed any lifting on the edges? Very well
* Do you wax it as you do your painted, unprotected surfaces? If not, how do you keep it shiny? I wax it just like the rest of the car
* Is it hard to keep clean? Nope

As for the clear bra- I went with the 3M product about a year ago and the film is holding up magnificently. On my Anthracite car you really have to look for it, especially after you remove all of the wax lines. I cannot imagine living up here in the great white north without a clear bra. It saves the paint from all of the stuff they put on the roads in the winter time!

Good luck-
Old 07-09-2007, 10:32 PM
RAR

oh yeah, if you do get this done, the primary difference between all these 3m places is the kit they use and the quality of the installation. Most use precut kits. Look for places that have a 'bikini cut' My guy actually designed his own kit and it has a crescent curve across the entire top (as opposed to a straight line going across). Love the way it blends. Also, make sure your guy will apply the film to the front hood edges so it curves under the hood. these areas are very prone to chipping as rocks catch there....

oh yeah, and when you do schedule to get this done, make sure there is no rain for the next few days afterwards.

kinda hard to see but here are some pics

Old 07-09-2007, 10:59 PM
Pro

3M Paint Protection Film installed the next day after taking delivery from the dealer ( April 18, 2005)

* How well is it holding up? Pretty Well
* Does it maintain it's gloss over time? Good as long as you threat it like any painted surface and apply some wax ti it.

No, unless you really work at it.

* Is the film yellowing or dulling? Not really

* Does the adhesive hold uniformly, or have you noticed any lifting on the edges?
Hold uniformity. The edges will lift if you work at it.

* Do you wax it as you do your painted, unprotected surfaces? If not, how do you keep it shiny? Wax, Actually a sealer like Rejex does a good job.

* Is it hard to keep clean? It can be a problem with bugs. Suggest a good 2 coat of wax or sealer.

For anyone that want to tackle this job, be sure that the surface is cool to the touch before you start. If the hood is still warm from the engine, cool it down.

If the surface is too hot as you apply the film, you will not be able to stretch it smoothly to conform to the surface. The film will have stretch marks which will not go away.

VERY Important! Do not clay the film!, Do Not Clay the Film!, Please Do Not Clay The Film!

Claying the film will dull it's surface, specially the high spots.

I have my whole Hood covered, the top of the 2 front fenders, the whole front fascia (Bumper and around headlights) and both side view mirrors.

The film is starting to show some knicks from rocks but the paint underneath is in perfect health.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
3M complete kit (about 1/3 of the hood, mirrors, full bumper). I also have headlight protection which is a different 3M material -thicker. I also had the top shelf on the rear bumper done and two pieces on the rocker panel where your foot tends to hit when you get in and out. Then, a piece on the aluminum strip on the center console that is susceptible to getting dinged by the seal belt buckle.

* How well is it holding up? Like new
* Do scratches/swirls appear over time (as compared to the painted surface)? No more than painted surface.
* Is the film yellowing or dulling? No.
* Does the adhesive hold uniformly, or have you noticed any lifting on the edges? Uniform
* Do you wax it as you do your painted, unprotected surfaces? If not, how do you keep it shiny? Wax it (Zaino) with car.
* Is it hard to keep clean? No. Actually easy to clean bugs off.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
I have had 3M Clear Bra's and installed them. Also have owned Lumar Clear Paint Protection. The 3M fades and turns yellow after time. You can only see it on certain colors. It also has a orange peel effect to it. The Lumar is the better film and is clear. It also doesn't fade.

Originally Posted by ChicagoBurbs
I'm thinking of installing a clear bra and have some concerns. Your input will help me decide whether I should or not.

Please, post replies to these questions only if you've had a clear bra on your vehicle for at least a year!

* How well is it holding up?
* Does it maintain it's gloss over time?
* Is the film yellowing or dulling?
* Do you wax it as you do your painted, unprotected surfaces? If not, how do you keep it shiny?
* Is it hard to keep clean?

Thanks guys!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Pro

Well, these are all great responses! I really appreciate how so many of you took the time to answer all my questions and then add your comments. Very informative, and there's no better way to find this kind of information than to survey the end users of a product. I have gained great insights into the entire product spectrum, and the input you guys have provided will make my decision much easier. Yes, I will be installing the 3M kit, and will be shopping for an installer and a price in my area.

I know this thread will help any others who had questions as well.

You guys are great! Thanks so much!

Dan
Old 07-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Senior Moderator

PS: Don't even THINK about doing it yourself. It's very labor-intensive and the installers go to school in Texas to learn the skills.

Cleanliness is very important. If you go to a place that looks dirty and dusty, I'd keep on looking.

My guy was certified and pretty good but he had to re-do the job when the first one had a lot of flaws. Some of those were caused because he had his dog running around the garage and small hairs got under the film.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:26 AM
RAR

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
I have had 3M Clear Bra's and installed them. Also have owned Lumar Clear Paint Protection. The 3M fades and turns yellow after time. You can only see it on certain colors. It also has a orange peel effect to it. The Lumar is the better film and is clear. It also doesn't fade.
That might have been the older 3M film. They have newer versions that supposedly fixed all of these issues.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator