Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Bra Install by Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 04:36 PM
04TL/SSM/Quartz/AT/Navi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear Bra Install by Dealer

I just got quoted $899 for a "full" clear bra install by my dealer at the time I take delivery. Full install includes about 9" up the hood, all front-end bumper plastic, and the backs of the mirrors.

Having read stories of those of you who take delivery, drive home and wax your TL, then un-wax (or try to), then have the clear bra installed with varying amounts of success (and frustration, I might add) -- all for $600 - $700 -- I'm thinking the dealer install is a good idea. I know it's a few $$ more, but at least I can go back to him with any problems.

Thoughts?
Old 08-20-2004, 04:43 PM
Instructor

Srhewes, I had the clear bra installed just as you have indicated. The Acura salesman quoted me $650 Canadian ( about $450 US). When I got down to signing for everything the accounts person told me it was normally $850 but if the salesman quoted me $650 they would honour that.
A couple of weeks later I was talking to a neighbour who does high-end modifications to trucks. He told me he would have done the job for about $200 ....Cdn. I would phone around to car modification shops to get a competitive quote and try to use it with the dealer.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:46 PM
Cruisin'

In canada u can get a "full" clear bra installed on everything u mentioned and the rear lip of the back bumper for only $599 CANADIAN. I think ur dealer is trying to rip u off. Check into it and make sure this is what everyone in ur area is getting the bra installed for. Oh ya this is at an acura dealership, not some private job.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:09 PM
Peace out A-spec

noober question: whats a clear bra?
Old 08-20-2004, 05:13 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Xenologics
noober question: whats a clear bra?
It's like invisible mask/hood. Look here;

http://www.clearbra.com/
Old 08-21-2004, 03:21 AM
Mmmmmm... Anthracite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Recommendation: Take delivery of your car before getting the clear bra. Go and check the out the car in the morning, making sure there are no defects to the paint on the front end. Then let them install the clear bra that day.

I got my Xpel/3M clear bra done through a guy the dealer recommended. I was guoted $590, paid seperately (not financed), and I did what I suggested above. I got the car in the afternoon and the bumper had wrinkles in it. The dealer knocked $90 off making it an even $500 and said if the wrinkles aren't gone in a week (heat will take out defects) bring it back. I took it back got a loaner car and got mine the next day in pristine condition.

$899 sounds very high, shop around for a better price and bring that back to the dealer. BTW I think mine goes up 17" and it was optional up to 24". If I had an option I would get the full hood done, so there would be no lines across the hood.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:12 AM
Cruisin'

The full package u get here for the clear bra for 599 is not some special the dealers have going on in edmonton, its the price acura has set on there accessories sheet, u should never pay much more then 599 (convert to american though).
Old 08-22-2004, 01:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by srhewes
I just got quoted $899 for a "full" clear bra install by my dealer at the time I take delivery. Full install includes about 9" up the hood, all front-end bumper plastic, and the backs of the mirrors.

Having read stories of those of you who take delivery, drive home and wax your TL, then un-wax (or try to), then have the clear bra installed with varying amounts of success (and frustration, I might add) -- all for $600 - $700 -- I'm thinking the dealer install is a good idea. I know it's a few $$ more, but at least I can go back to him with any problems.

Thoughts?

Different dealers and different markets in the US can vary greatly on the price of the clear bra kit installed. Out here in the NW the dealer charges anywhere from $1200-1500 for the full kit from what our customers tell us. The funny thing is that it is the same product you would be getting in Ohio or I would be installing in the NW. IS it a good idea to get it installed right away at the dealer? Sure it is, but maybe not through the dealer since the mark it up usually double of what it really costs or more sometimes. Have you looked elsewhere in Columbus for an installer of the product. Like maybe the shop that does it for them??

Can you get a better price on the kit? Sure you can. I would look for alternatives for the kit and the install. Also I might ask to see the installers work, if you are a little unsure or paranoid of the unknown.

If I can help with anything else let me know. I would be glad to help answer questions.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:25 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Why are clear-bra's so expensive? $500 for a piece of plastic? I mean, i can see the installation charges, but even then, what's so special about it?

carcar
Old 08-22-2004, 01:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by carcar
Why are clear-bra's so expensive? $500 for a piece of plastic? I mean, i can see the installation charges, but even then, what's so special about it?

carcar

It is not just plastic. It is space-age urethane film that is high impact resistant film to prevent damage to the front of your vehicle. Oh yeah 3M makes it!! $500 is too much I agree for the plastic, thats why I do it for cheaper.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:44 PM
Racer

What's the warranty situation with the clear bra? Does having it installed myself (ie not through the dealer) void the manufacturer's warranty in any way? How long is the warranty on the bra?

Really fancy getting it myself on either the 05 TL or the 05RL (starting to wonder about that RL - mmmm), and have suggested it to friends who just took delivery of their new Beemers last night (one 545i and one M3 convertible). Rocks are a constant hazard here, but my hubbie's unsure about the clear bra. Got a lovely 4mm long stone chip on my QX4's hood, and that's a danged sight higher up than the TL!
Old 08-22-2004, 01:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pot80h
What's the warranty situation with the clear bra? Does having it installed myself (ie not through the dealer) void the manufacturer's warranty in any way? How long is the warranty on the bra?

Really fancy getting it myself on either the 05 TL or the 05RL (starting to wonder about that RL - mmmm), and have suggested it to friends who just took delivery of their new Beemers last night (one 545i and one M3 convertible). Rocks are a constant hazard here, but my hubbie's unsure about the clear bra. Got a lovely 4mm long stone chip on my QX4's hood, and that's a danged sight higher up than the TL!

The 3M Clear bra is OEM approved and will not void the manufacturer's warranty so no worries there. Dependning on who you buy the film from will determine what your warranty will be on the film. I offer lifetime for cracking, fading and/ or yellowing. 3M's warrany direct from there site is

"3M currently provides a five-year warranty on product only to those who are authorized to purchase their film directly from 3M. Authorized Paint Protection Film Kit Converters and Professional Applicators have had such positive experience with Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film that many offer warranties beyond five years. Be sure to discuss the warranty offered by your Professional Applicator before Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film is installed on your vehicle."
Old 08-22-2004, 02:10 PM
Racer

Thanks Rockblocker!

The major concerns for us are how the film will handle the very intense desert conditions. Plastic has a very short lifespan outside in the elements - plastic parts on patio furniture (for example) will crack and disintegrate in about 2 years, and paint can oxidise in about 4 years if the car is in the direct sun for long periods.

Just one more question - how easy is this stuff to get off again? In case it started to look bad or if we had accident damage and needed to remove it for paint work?
Old 08-22-2004, 02:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pot80h
Thanks Rockblocker!

The major concerns for us are how the film will handle the very intense desert conditions. Plastic has a very short lifespan outside in the elements - plastic parts on patio furniture (for example) will crack and disintegrate in about 2 years, and paint can oxidise in about 4 years if the car is in the direct sun for long periods.

Just one more question - how easy is this stuff to get off again? In case it started to look bad or if we had accident damage and needed to remove it for paint work?
The heat isnt a problem. The product has been weathered tested in hot or cold weather without any issues. I would recommend just I would no matter what to wash and wax often. I have installed in the Arizona heat and have a installer down there and have not see or heard of any issues from the heat.

The product can be removed if necessary and if you were in an accident the insurance company will pay to have it reapplied to your vehicle at no charge to you (besides deductible of course).

I would recommend if being removed that a trained installer does this or you ask for more specific directions that would take up too much room to type or really explain properly.

Anymore questions let me know.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:59 PM
Enthusiastic Newbie

Who in AZ?

Hey RockBlocker,

I am to take delivery of an '05 White w/Parchment TL late Oct and I live in AZ.

Who do you have in AZ and what are my options?

Thanks,

David
Old 10-13-2004, 07:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dafried
Hey RockBlocker,

I am to take delivery of an '05 White w/Parchment TL late Oct and I live in AZ.

Who do you have in AZ and what are my options?

Thanks,

David
I will be in Phoenix on Friday night until Monday night. I assume you wont have your car by then? You can email if not and I will hook you up with a good friend of mine.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:11 PM
Racer

Here's a clear bra quote a co-worker received: $1995, installed, for a Porsche Boxter from a Porsche dealer. Now that's robbery.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hybrid
Here's a clear bra quote a co-worker received: $1995, installed, for a Porsche Boxter from a Porsche dealer. Now that's robbery.
Wholy smokies!!! The highest I heard of is $2500 from a dealer. Maybe that is why people thank me more when I do luxury vehicles.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:45 AM
Enthusiastic Newbie

RockBlocker,

No, the dealer expects my car in between Oct 27 - Nov 3. I'm open to ideas.

Thanks,

David
Old 10-14-2004, 08:57 AM
Pro

Theres a guy i know in Dublin,Ca that owns a Tint Shop and he also does clear bras. He charges $495, but i get it for cheaper then that.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:04 AM
Photoshops, and Polls!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
AndyTran, can you please give me the name of guy in Dublin that does clear bras?
Old 10-25-2004, 04:31 PM
Awesome to the Max

what happens if you get into a front collision accident with clearbra? do you get it replaced for free on your next car?
Old 12-02-2004, 09:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by terse
what happens if you get into a front collision accident with clearbra? do you get it replaced for free on your next car?
Your insurance company will pay to have it reinstalled. Happened to me last year in the snow.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:40 AM
Pro

Rockblocker:

Do you have a contact in Houston?
Old 12-02-2004, 09:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by havokgroup
Rockblocker:

Do you have a contact in Houston?
You have a PM