Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center console power loss

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Center console power loss

The car was in the garage all night so it wasn't particularly cold. I didn't need to use the keyfob to unlock it since it was unlocked already This morning when I got in the car the TL wouldn't switch to driver 1 seat settings (my hubby drove it last) when I pushed the driver 1 button & the instrument panel lights went completely out.

Turned the ignition off/on and then I could adjust the seat ok, instrument panel all ok, but the center console lost all its radio settings am/fm/xm and climate control settings...grr. Like power got totally cut to it for long enough for it to lose its memory.

Any idea why this happened and is it preventable? Anyone else had this happen?

When we first got the car (it now has ~5800 miles on it) the lighted buttons around the navi screen didn't always light up. That issue seems to have worked itself out and is no longer a problem but am wondering if the new problem could be related?

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:59 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I think it can _definitely_ be tied to the same problem with the lighted buttons. Intermittent power loss can definitely get worse - I would take it into the dealer and have them overhaul the electrical system in the center console area. Make sure they do the work, too!
Old 02-22-2005, 12:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
overhaul

I would think you go in with a problem and they troubleshoot it... If they do not find the condition you speak of you get the car back. Or, they keep it for days and see if they can get the condition to occur.

I rarely see the dealership overhaul anything unless it is warranted by what they say and not what you want...
Old 02-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, tsunami. Sorry to hear of your problem. As Lore said, intermittent electrical problems are difficult to deal with as usually they are hard for the dealer to replicate. I assume you will take the car to Hinshaws for diagnosis and repair. It would be helpful to let us know the cause of this problem and the remedy. Thanks and good luck.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:32 PM
Intermediate

One more question, the lighted buttons around your navi screens -- do they light up as brightly as the radio/cd play buttons below it? On ours the ones around the navi are dimmer than all the others in the car. Am thinking this is a symptom of the underlying electrical issue but want to confirm that with you. If I'm gonna take it into the dealer I want to make sure I have a complete list of symptoms for them to troubleshoot.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:10 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

If I remember correctly, they're the same brightness level as the buttons near my radio.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:13 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
My TL had issues with loosing XM and Radio FM presets in the first few days...solved itself and NEVER happened again (I have 11,000 miles and it is 10 months OLD) your problem seems a bit more serious I would get the dealer to check it out
Old 02-22-2005, 06:19 PM
Gratis dictum

tsunami.....I just went out to the car and looked at the buttons. They all seem to be about the same intensity as I think they should be.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if it is a faulty relay/solenoid of some sort. Just a guess.

dsc888
Old 02-23-2005, 12:45 AM
4th Gear

Had the same problem with center navi console when headlights were on. Dealer replaced entire navi unit and console, took about a week for them to figure out what was going on. Used a digi camera at record the problem for the dealer, console lghts flicked when headlights were on. All under warranty of course.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:19 PM
Intermediate

Now that's a good idea. Guess I'll have to carry around my digital camera for a while. The lights around the navi are always dimmer than the others so that shouldn't be too hard to prove. So maybe I'll just go in with that issue for now and then mention the loss of presets and the issue with having no lighted buttons early on.

Did they take long to replace the navi once the problem was diagnosed?
Old 03-25-2005, 08:59 PM
Intermediate

Just an update. I took the car in to Hinshaw's in Fife, WA. They were pleasant enough. I took it in for this issue with my lighted buttons around the navi not being as bright as the rest as well as the issue with the outside temp reading flatlining in the MID (search "outside temp" for that thread). As documented in that thread, they replaced the battery and the outside temp sensor and has fixed that problem (at least temporarily...but since there's no permanent fix I'm not overly concerned). For the lighted button problem the service advisor said that he was having a hard time duplicating the problem. It was "too bright" out during the day, but that it didn't look so bad. I told him to put a blanket over his head first I think that the only fix is for them to replace the navi and 1) they may not really want to pay that much $$$ to fix those lights (even under warranty). and 2) I'm not sure I want them dinking with it and screwing up something else. 3) Maybe I'll wait to bug them more about it when the outside temp gauge goes again as we know it will. It was evening when I picked it up and as I was driving home noticed that the lights still weren't so bright so I turned around & went back & showed it to one of the sales folks who agreed with me & was going to leave the service advisor a note. Well, of course, I haven't heard anything from him. I could call them I know, but have been really busy at work. When I get a chance I'm going to try to take a digital photo for you folks to look at & compare with your TLs. In low light the photo isn't going to be sharp but am hoping you'll be able to see any contrast in light intensity. Will post it when I get it done.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:43 PM
Gratis dictum

Tsunami............Thanks for your update. It's nice to know that Hinshaw's was at least pleasant and solved(?) your temp sensor issue. I may need to go there some day since they are my closest dealer, but hope not. My temp reading flatlined in October, and I just disconnected the battery for a few seconds which breathed new life into the display, and it has been fine for five months now.