CD Player not responding - CD-R issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004 | 02:33 PM
2nd Gear

Question CD Player not responding - CD-R issue?

I'm one month in and my CD Player has stopped responding. The symptoms are that it's as if the stereo system doesn't even know there's a CD Player. For instance if I push the CD button nothing happens...if I push the Load button, nothing happens. Other stereo functions work fine (FM,AM,XM).

When I took it into my dealer the service rep asks me if I'm using any burned discs, which I am. They are ordering a new unit.

He says the manual states not to do this but actually from what I read in the manual it specifically says you can use CD-R's if they are "High Quality".

I've been using Memorex CD-R's. And they were playing successfully for the month I've been using them. I'm not an audio-techie but the it seems that the symptoms I've described do not indicate a CD-R issue.

So my questions are:

1. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. What brand of CD-R's have you had success with?

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2004 | 02:47 PM
Safety Car

i have had bad experiences with memorex peeling off on me. i use imation or fuji cd-rs. if you get fuji check to see if the discs are made in japan. this means they are taiyo yuden(i know i spelled that wrong) discs. the factory which produces these in japan are considered to be one of the better ones. i have used both fuji discs that were made in japan and made in taiwan and have not seen the difference. also stay away from the colored discs. not sure what the laser head is on the unit but some systems are sensitive to red colored discs because the laser is red and the reflectivity of the disc does not respond well. the best for music are suppose to be silver discs(botton of disc). they provide the best reflectivity and will offer the least amount of distortion. most discs you buy will be either a light green or blue color. the majority of discs now are light greenish in color.
Old 04-27-2004 | 03:09 PM
100k miles club

i've been using Staples brand or whatever is cheap out there and haven't had any problems. only thing is they scratch easy. but they've been reading fine on my TL
Old 04-27-2004 | 04:55 PM
9th Gear

The cd player in my car never worked from the time I took delivery. They had to order a new stereo unit which took a couple of weeks and in the mean time the am/fm stopped working. They replaced it and I haven't had a problem since.