Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cause of bad vibes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 10:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cause of bad vibes?

Was driving home on the highway listening to some tunes doing about 75mph. I had just farted so i decided to vent by opening both rear windows at the same time with the front windows closed. It created such buffeting that the whole car started to shake!!! Maybe all those movers and shakers that are always raging about their vibrations are suffering from bad wind management due to a misplaced air dam or some such other thing. Maybe it wasn't the darned tires after all! Give it a try, Im sure no one around here has ever felt such a weird aerodynamic quirk in any other car, I sure havent!
Old 07-23-2004, 01:00 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vtechbrain
Was driving home on the highway listening to some tunes doing about 75mph. I had just farted so i decided to vent by opening both rear windows at the same time with the front windows closed. It created such buffeting that the whole car started to shake!!! Maybe all those movers and shakers that are always raging about their vibrations are suffering from bad wind management due to a misplaced air dam or some such other thing. Maybe it wasn't the darned tires after all! Give it a try, Im sure no one around here has ever felt such a weird aerodynamic quirk in any other car, I sure havent!
vtechbrain, sorry, very common in cars, had this issue in my cars back to my 89 Legend (maybe before).

The buffeting goes away by opening the sunroof or a front window. May be caused by airflow getting trapped in rear of car.

Sorry to say this was not my vibration issue, as it happed with window up (it was dead of winter when this issue arrose). Thanks for trying.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:07 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, what need4spd said. try driving with one window halfway open, it hurts your ears cause it creates this deeep base sound thing.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:22 AM
Instructor

When I was car shopping and checking out various forums, this was discussed/discovered about almost every vehicle. The buffeting I mean, not the farting.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
It's a Gas!

I agree with ^. It is an oscilating air pressure thing that happens on every car with a metal roof that I have had. I have a dog who thinks he's human and who rides in the back. He likes to stick his head out the window. So, I get that a lot unless I open a front window.

It's a venturi effect from the wind traveling fast past the window opening. It creates a vacuum. It sucks. <ducking and running>.

XP
Old 07-23-2004, 08:56 AM
SOLD

Originally Posted by Xpditor
I agree with ^. It is an oscilating air pressure thing that happens on every car with a metal roof that I have had. I have a dog who thinks he's human and who rides in the back. He likes to stick his head out the window. So, I get that a lot unless I open a front window.

It's a venturi effect from the wind traveling fast past the window opening. It creates a vacuum. It sucks. <ducking and running>.

XP
Xp, please don't tell me you let your dog sit directly on the leather?!?!?
Old 07-23-2004, 10:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Nice doggy!

Originally Posted by NightRider
Xp, please don't tell me you let your dog sit directly on the leather?!?!?
NO. It's too slippery for him anyway. One Sunday, before I got my car, we were car shopping when the Acura dealership was closed. No salesmen to contend with.

There was an NBP TL like I wanted and it was unlocked. I opened the back door to check the room back there and Zorro (that's his name) took it as an invitation to hop in. He did so and he skidded all the way across the back seat's leather- bonking his head on the opposite door.

He gave me a disgusted look as if to say, "Keep shopping. This one will never do."

But, I got it anyway and then got a big, terrycloth bath towel in Camel and covered the rear seat with it.

I don't put the window down, though. That dog drool :P is harder to get off then water spots. He would probably love the moon roof if he could reach it.

But his all time favorite is my Jeep Wrangler. He loves it with the top down, romping through the Florida Everglades.

XP
Old 07-23-2004, 12:54 PM
Banned

I'm not trying to imply its a defect, and yes I'm aware that the noise happens in other cars. My point is that in the TL the severity is incredible, the WHOLE car shakes. Give it a try. You have to be travelling at over 70 mph.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:19 PM
SOLD

I'm not trying to imply its a defect, and yes I'm aware that the noise happens in other cars. My point is that in the TL the severity is incredible, the WHOLE car shakes. Give it a try. You have to be travelling at over 70 mph.
It's just kind of a design flaw. Sacrifices have to be made somewhere usually. Being that the car basically has "insulated" windows for a quieter than average cabin, because of the disparity, when the windows are down it is a noisier than average cabin. Actually it feels more like someone is about half a foot away blowing into each ear! As far as going 70 or above, this is loud on any car as rolling the windows down changes the aerodynamics of the vehicle. I think it is more noticable in our car because we have a high window line and wind is more damaging to the stability higher up on the vehicle. Ever driven a tall SUV when it's windy? SCARY!
Old 07-23-2004, 01:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Was driving home on the highway listening to some tunes doing about 75mph. I had just farted so i decided to vent by opening both rear windows at the same time with the front windows closed.
I have lost all respect for you.

By opening windows in your car, any windows at all, you desecrated the sacred male ritual of farting while driving on the highway listening to tunes. The whole point is to bask in your own stench, to breathe it in gloriously and savor its varied scents.

Might I add that had you done your duty, you would not have encountered a vibration problem.

For shame, vtech. For shame.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TLGator

By opening windows in your car, any windows at all, you desecrated the sacred male ritual of farting while driving on the highway listening to tunes. The whole point is to bask in your own stench, to breathe it in gloriously and savor its varied scents.

Might I add that had you done your duty, you would not have encountered a vibration problem.

Forgive my reckless loss of scatological etiquete. It will never happen again :'(
Old 07-23-2004, 02:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Maybe it wasn't the darned tires after all!
Which is why everyone who switched from BS to something non-BS has reported the vibration went away.

I don't think your theory holds any water.

Mike
Old 07-23-2004, 02:30 PM
Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by TLGator

Quite true... At LEAST attone for your sins by not failing the next level: If there is a female in the car, you let it loose, lock the windows, turn up the heat and hit recirc.

I nearly lost my marriage that way once...
Old 07-23-2004, 02:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mylriahd
Quite true... At LEAST attone for your sins by not failing the next level: If there is a female in the car, you let it loose, lock the windows, turn up the heat and hit recirc.

I nearly lost my marriage that way once...

So..... thats the way to get rid of the wife. We should let Scott Peterson know!
Old 07-23-2004, 06:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I knew my wife-to-be was the one for me when she survived a trip from Milwaukee back to Chicago in sub-zero temperatures (read: windows up) and I had about the worst gas attack of my life that lasted the entire trip. She endured wave after wave of stench the entire way, with me prefacing each one with an "I'm sorry, here it comes again", to which she would respond "Oh, God".

I even missed an exit and added about 40 minutes to the trip and she still stuck with me.

Mike
Old 07-24-2004, 02:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by svtmike
I knew my wife-to-be was the one for me when she survived a trip from Milwaukee back to Chicago in sub-zero temperatures (read: windows up) and I had about the worst gas attack of my life that lasted the entire trip. She endured wave after wave of stench the entire way, with me prefacing each one with an "I'm sorry, here it comes again", to which she would respond "Oh, God".

I even missed an exit and added about 40 minutes to the trip and she still stuck with me.

Mike
Secretly she enjoyed it. She may even have reached orgasm while you were making a left turn.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:39 PM