Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Totaled Today

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by 1789
If the insurance company totals it, it will pay you the book value + the price that a salvager pays the insurance company for what's left. I went through this is 2009 with my first TL. So here's the drill:
1- Remove everything that you can from the vehicle ASAP. Coordinate this with your insurance company (mine allowed me to remove aftermarket items like the ASpec wheels & tires) as they tend to be reasonable. So, replace your wheels & tires with any stock cheap wheels & worn out tires that you can find.

2- Insist that the salvage bidders/wholesale buyers inspect that car where it sits - before you relinquish it to the insurance company's possession. Tell the insurance company that you may want to keep the car for salvage depending upon the bids received. Example, if someone bids $2k, you may want to keep the car and part it out. However, if someone bids $15k, then you may opt to take the money and be done with it.

If you have USAA insurance, you are in good shape - they have been terrific with me. If you don't, you should get it, you're eligible as active duty military.

As for the doctors, flight surgeons are typically good guys, but neck and spine injuries/misalignments are not their forte. Look for a chiropractor that is a graduate of Palmer College of Chiropractic - it's the equivalent credential of a Harvard MBA.

As for the other driver: insured or not, she's liable - sue her. That's what attorneys are for.

Good luck.
If Memory serves me correct, the insurance company will deem it totalled, pay you the book value, and then they take ownership of the vehicle. They then most likely will take it to an auto auction and put it up for salvage companies.

Then the insurance company keeps the money they make from the auction, as they are now the owners of the vehicle. You don't get any additional money on top of what the book value is, no additional money off of aftermarket parts, unless you have an addendum which states aftermarket parts are covered, and have proof of the original cost; then depreciation will be taken into account for those parts.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by abacon09
I described the accident to the claim agent and she said it sounded like it was totaled. I will really push for it to be. I am really particular about my car and with it crumpling into the front axel I don't think the car will ever be returned to pre-loss condition. Never mind that the resale value will suck and my car warranty is probably useless. I think the best thing to do here is get the car officially totaled and walk away from it, except for the few items I'm going to be collecting.
Agreed! I hope they total it for you!
Old 01-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Getting it Done

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Take a look at Hyundai for your next car, idk what the price is on the Gensis Sedan compared to the TL but I bet it's close, you should get one of those instead . But IMO you should just get a TL-S an 07/08, that's like the best car in my eyes lol.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Well the lady got two citations for "improper lane change" and "No proof of insurance." When I spoke to my insurance company they said I would still have to pay a deductible. I was not at fault at all in this accident, fortunately. But I will talk to them again about the deductible thing. Thanks
Just curious what kind of car was the lady driving?
Old 01-19-2010, 12:47 PM
USDM -> JDM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
im gonna have to second this... awwww shitt. my favorite color.. KBP is rare but sexy.. so sad to see this one go..
Old 01-19-2010, 12:52 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow...it does seem like we're loosing one per week here. Hope everything pans out ok, that sucks.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:30 PM
abacon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I went to the wrecker yard today and got my stuff out and took some pictures. The lady was driving a 95 Nissan Altima (I think). Anyways, the car is questionably totaled now. I really have to wait and see what the adjuster says. I still stick to my previous posts. I hope its totaled. It will be so much easier to get another car and not have to worry about depreciated value and the time it will take to repair well. I was supposed to start flight training today but have been put on hold until this gets taken care of. I want it to get taken care of quickly.

If I get the money and can go buy a new car I am considering getting another TL type s. There are two KBP ones on ebay right now that look like they might be good.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...t_18662wt_1091
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...t_17242wt_1091
Both of them could use a new rear bumper. And the one in new jersey has something up with the rear seats when you look at it. I'm not sure. What do you all think.
I also went to the dealers and the audi a4s are nice looking cars. And if I were to get an SUV the audi Q5 was solid.

Anyways, heres the damage...enjoy.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Racer

Just from the pics it sadly doesn't look totaled (to me)
Old 01-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
Painful to look at man. Glad you're ok. I don't know about salvage on that! Looks pretty bad and that's just the surface. You know once they go into the shop there will be addendum's galore!
Old 01-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Pro

It would be hard to think that that car would ever drive well again considering the blow to the front wheel like that. I hope it's totaled.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:03 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I personally dont think it is totalled but good luck with that. As for the ones on ebay I think they both have dirty worn interiors but are descent deals.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Pro

They are both automatics. MT is the way to go.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
airbags deployed=totaled
Old 01-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Received 300 Likes on 142 Posts
Glad you are ok..

Car looks fixable..

Post up pics of whatever you end up buying!
Old 01-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Pro

Car is definitely fixable and whatever salvager gets it will have a field day with it.... Car will be fixed and will make good money on it.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:26 PM
KBPftmfw

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
If the frame is bent that thing is going to be a bitch to get driving straight and true again.

My other car is a 95 Mustang GT that was totaled in the passenger fender area. A lot of these guys are basing their opinions on looks. While the sheet metal is easily fixed, whatever is jacked up underneath is where you are going to rack the repair bills up.

If that were my car I would be pushing HARD to have it totaled. Knowing it's been wrecked, coupled with the instant depreciation is a no-go deal for me.

Good luck.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Pro

I am not going on looks entirely but i have seen much more damage on vehicles and watched them get repaired and back on the street they go. My friend was given a used car dealership from his grandfather... while his grandfather still owned a body shop. Its unbelievable on the extent of some damages that cars have only to see them put on a frame straightener/body pull and come out near to what the car was before. They don't sell them back on the lot but be put through the auction.

Me personally i wouldn't want the car back either!
Old 01-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
salvage whatever u can...

give it a couple kicks so it looks even more fucked up

maybe they might jus total it after all

GL mang!
Old 01-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Pro

pretty funny but a trick to totaling a car for good..... slice the leather in the seats it will do it every time..... No i have never done this but once again the business i work for. One of our major customers happens to be a salvage yard and i had seen many cars with slashed seats and so i asked the guy i deal with there and he says thats how they get insurance to go ahead and total them. I will say that replacing the leather in the car will DEFINITELY get the car in the high K's
Old 01-21-2010, 12:59 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 95oRANGEcRUSH
If the frame is bent that thing is going to be a bitch to get driving straight and true again.

My other car is a 95 Mustang GT that was totaled in the passenger fender area. A lot of these guys are basing their opinions on looks. While the sheet metal is easily fixed, whatever is jacked up underneath is where you are going to rack the repair bills up.

If that were my car I would be pushing HARD to have it totaled. Knowing it's been wrecked, coupled with the instant depreciation is a no-go deal for me.

Good luck.
True, but thats what the body shops are for. They have frame machines that will pull the frame back 100%
Old 01-21-2010, 01:49 AM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
^the frame can never be back to 100%

And to an insurance agency it is totaled. that really sucks

HAH, i see you popped the type s badge off the steering wheel
Old 01-21-2010, 06:35 AM
abacon

Originally Posted by Xiomaro
^the frame can never be back to 100%

And to an insurance agency it is totaled. that really sucks

HAH, i see you popped the type s badge off the steering wheel
I didn't even notice that badge missing. It must have came off when the airbag deployed. I have no idea where it is. Damit, that would have been cool to take. Oh well.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:36 AM
abacon

So I talked with the inspector yesterday. He said he observed axel damage and subframe damage close to impact point. Understanding his opinion is not official and the insurance company still has to run the numbers to make their decision, I asked him point blank what his professional opinion was and he said "totaled."
Old 01-21-2010, 06:48 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
So driving back from church today, my car got totaled. This lady coming on an onramp thought it would be a good idea to make a u-turn through the median. I, who was in the left lane to allow her to merge, had no time avoid after she made her dumb decision and plowed right into her. I hit the brakes hard, but i essentially t-boned the drivers side front of her car and we both drifted onto the median strip. My airbag deployed, the passenger side front end crumpled into the front axle probably bending it. I went to the hospital to get checked out in part because of what I have read on this forum many times. I am ok, just some tense muscles in my upper back.

Anyways to make the situation that much better, this lady - who had a baby in the car at the time, he was ok - has no car insurance! So here I am left with my own insurance. They are going to help take care of the car but I still have to pay my 500 dollar deductible. I was also supposed to start military flight training on tuesday. That's now getting delayed at least till next week. I think I will talk to the lawyers about getting my deductible money from her.

So, as much as i absolutely loved my car, I think it is time to move on and get a new car once it is officially totaled. The TL did its job well and protected me in a crash. I am not a fan of the new TLs so I think I will look else where. Any recommendations. I have to stick to a similar price as the TL was. Also, I am going to the wrecker yard on tuesday to get my stuff out. I am going to take my all weather floor mats, trunk mat, navigation dvds, and peripheral unit out of the car. If I end up getting a new car these items will likely be up for sale, let me know if you might be interested.

I appreciate all the advice and ideas I get off of this forum. Thanks to you all.
I think it should be perfectly legal to shoot people who have no insurance. Mother ******s.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Thanks for serving our country.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:46 AM
Pro

Do you mean shoot and just wound them? There are plenty of people without medical insurance we can shoot after the car insurance people get shot. Where do we start?
Old 01-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by whudini3000
airbags deployed=totaled

GL with the evaluation OP.. I wouldn't be surprised if they went ahead & repaired it, but I'm hoping they give you a fat check instead.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Advanced

Sorry to hear about your accident, glad you're ok. Car looks like it might have frame damage, front hits are always sketchy. In terms of your deductible being paid by the lady who hit you, ask your insurance company, most of the time they'll go after the driver who hit you, or their insurance company, and have them pay for everything including the repairs (if they were being done, don't see any repairs being done). Your insurance company might just total it because it's cheaper than fixing it. What you can also do is hire a lawyer and sue her yourself. Hope it works out, good luck finding a new car.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:53 PM
KBPftmfw

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ntuner
True, but thats what the body shops are for. They have frame machines that will pull the frame back 100%
I'm speaking from a ton of experience on this. My family owns and operates a body shop and has been for over 30 years. My 95 GT was totalled from the shock towers forward and the frame was bent. Even after having it on a rack to straighten the frame and several alignments it still will not track straight and true.

Personally, OP should be pushing his hardest to get rid of that car. It won't ever drive true but may be acceptable to someone after considerable time, effort and money.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:16 AM
Banned

Have to say at least your ok, I’m still scared of driving next to 18 wheelers and funny part is that my father is a driver of 18 wheels, man but i lived well me and my sister. Luckily my nephew wasn’t without my car got hit by an 18 wheeler which was not. Dude hit me from behind and i hit the construction barrier and he kept going at that.. suing his ass for just not noticing. click on the link and check out the tl..I recently went back to an 06' tl because TL's are save as Shyt.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...y/CIMG0419.jpg
Old 01-27-2010, 03:50 PM
10th Gear

nice job
Old 01-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Pro

its fixable no doubt, but if you can get it totaled that would be better! i know someone else will definitely buy it and fix it!! GL
Old 01-27-2010, 06:33 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 95oRANGEcRUSH
I'm speaking from a ton of experience on this. My family owns and operates a body shop and has been for over 30 years. My 95 GT was totalled from the shock towers forward and the frame was bent. Even after having it on a rack to straighten the frame and several alignments it still will not track straight and true.

Personally, OP should be pushing his hardest to get rid of that car. It won't ever drive true but may be acceptable to someone after considerable time, effort and money.
Just as i said... BOOYAH!
Old 02-04-2010, 05:04 PM
abacon

Well everyone. I am not sure what the total damage figure was. Something around 20,000 in damages. Anyways USAA totaled the car for me the other day. I am now working on getting an Audi Q5. A bit different then what I had but a bit more practical for my one and only car. Motor Trend and Car and Driver both rated it number one for its segment so I'm excited. Anyways, I have a short list of things I pulled off the car including:
Trunk Tray
All Weather Mats Black
Car Cover
Nav DVD ver 4.73A (the one i upgraded to last spring)
Nav DVD ver 4.55A (my original one)
peripheral unit and harness for the type s
change holder.

I've set up a black market page for these items, so check it out.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...1#post11713091
Old 02-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Audi Q5..

GL on your upgrade & the BM Sales!.. btw.. how much are they giving you for the loss?
Old 02-04-2010, 05:14 PM
abacon

Originally Posted by Majofo
Audi Q5..

GL on your upgrade & the BM Sales!.. btw.. how much are they giving you for the loss?
Well I'm waiting to talk to the total loss adjuster. But with 18900 miles they initially valued my car at $30,437. I am going to argue for more because kelly blue book said $31,535 and there were two type s on the local dealer lot stickered for 30,990 and 31,990. They had a sale on at the dealer for 2000 below each of those prices but USAA doesn't need to know that. Mine was in much much better condition than these. They also pay sales tax so I'm expecting something over $30,437 once they take my $500 deductible out.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Respect Freedom

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
see PM
Old 02-10-2010, 12:04 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
pitty cut down in its prime...
Old 02-10-2010, 02:05 AM
05' AT SSM

Yeah it looked totaled, as stillhere says it is a shame it was totaled so young..only 18k on the clock..damn.

That deductible isn't that bad, USAA is a great insurance company and is why i've been with them for 10 years. Glad they aren't giving you any trouble.

Definitely sorry to hear your situation, damn people who think they don't need to pay car insurance. Wait till they get in an accident and injure someone bad and end up in debt for the next 100 years.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:23 PM
abacon

Well even though the car is totaled someone can still benefit from either the parts off of the car or rebuilding the car.

I am still trying to get rid of my car cover, navigation dvds, and peripheral ipod unit with the type s harness. If anyone is interested check out my BM thread here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/items-my-totaled-07-type-s-762548/
Old 02-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
I say get a new 335i xDrive (AWD) or get a slightly used 550? BMW is my second favorite company next to Acura.

Quick Reply: Car Totaled Today