Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Accident and A-spec kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 11:19 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car Accident and A-spec kit

So long story short TL-0 Van-1. Got into an accident yesterday and have to get my bumper, hood, tie bar, ac condenser and some other things replaced but since I have Allstate my deductible is on 100 and I have accident forgiveness so basically its going to cost me $100 bucks to get it all fixed which is phenomenal (Highly recommend Allstate).

While I was getting an estimate from Allstate the guy mentioned I could use after market parts if I desired (With in reason I imagine) and I brought up the ASpec front bumper because I have fooled with the idea of getting one but never went much further than that. I am kind of on short notice and was wondering if i could get some input from some people who have made the swap.

First and foremost my car is a 2007 KBP TL Type-S and I want to know if the ASpec bumper will bolt right on or is there some modification?

Second: Where is the best place to buy the bumper? I want somewhere other than EBay and things like that just because I am going through insurance and I don't want to use relatively unreliable sources. My allowance on the bumper is $269 and the rest will be out of my pocket.

Open to it all comments. Thanks!
Old 09-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Well, I assumed you're replacing the front bumper due to your accident.

There isn't a A-spec bumper, but a Type-S bumper with the A-Spec front under spoiler (I think that's what Acura calls it)

Here's the part from one of our vendor here:
http://www.oemacuraparts.com/oem-par...08f01-sep-2d0b

The part number is 08F01-SEP-2D0B and it cost $245.42 without shipping.

I have also heard that the Kinetic Blue Pearl might be discontinued already, so you might have to take that into consideration to buy one in different color and have it painted to KBP.

So you'll still need the Type-S bumper in addition to the A-Spec kit for the front.

And since it's an OEM part, it'll fit perfectly with the bumper.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (09-20-2013)
Old 09-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
There is no such thing as an A-Spec bumper.

It's just an add-on lip for your existing Type-S bumper.

edit: ^Beat me to it
Old 09-20-2013, 11:36 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
when the insurance company allows you to use aftermarket parts, it does not mean you get to buy an aspec kit with it.

aftermarket parts are OEM look a likes.
this means, you'll get a replacement NON OEM bumper.
we can tell the non-oem bumper because it does not have the word ACURA engraved into the bumper.

the insurance company will only replace what was broken in the accident. so, if you did not have the aspec kit on at the time of the accident, the insurance company will simply not buy the aspec kit for you. you will have to come out of pocket, if you would like the aspec kit.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:42 AM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
when the insurance company allows you to use aftermarket parts, it does not mean you get to buy an aspec kit with it.

aftermarket parts are OEM look a likes.
this means, you'll get a replacement NON OEM bumper.
we can tell the non-oem bumper because it does not have the word ACURA engraved into the bumper.

the insurance company will only replace what was broken in the accident. so, if you did not have the aspec kit on at the time of the accident, the insurance company will simply not buy the aspec kit for you. you will have to come out of pocket, if you would like the aspec kit.
This brings up a good question, that I'm always curious about.

So if you were to install the A-Spec kit on your own and have it on at the time of the accident, the insurance company should replace that for you? Is that because it's an OEM part?

There isn't anything from the VIN or anything that say you bought the car with the A-Spec kit pre-installed, so you could say you bought it off the lot with it?

But that's different, say, if you have an ATLP exhaust and got a rear-end collision, correct? They're not going to buy you an aftermarket exhaust simply because you have it install at the time of accident?
Old 09-20-2013, 11:47 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Originally Posted by eyedrop
This brings up a good question, that I'm always curious about.

So if you were to install the A-Spec kit on your own and have it on at the time of the accident, the insurance company should replace that for you? Is that because it's an OEM part?

There isn't anything from the VIN or anything that say you bought the car with the A-Spec kit pre-installed, so you could say you bought it off the lot with it?

But that's different, say, if you have an ATLP exhaust and got a rear-end collision, correct? They're not going to buy you an aftermarket exhaust simply because you have it install at the time of accident?
when the insurance adjuster, assesses the damaged car, he takes note of every damaged piece and writes an estimate.
then the shop looks for further damage adding to the total value of carnage.
so, things like the factory lip kit will get replaced.

if you have aftermarket additions, like an exhaust, you better make sure its covered in your policy!
or else it will get replaced by OEM pieces
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
eyedrop (09-20-2013), ggesq (09-20-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 12:24 AM
Series Motor's

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
He got it right on the mark, however, if you know someone personally at the body shop this shouldn't be an issue; the body shop will either help you or screw you, no in-between

However, you will need to play hide and seek for a little bit =)