Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can dealers do this

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 03:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can dealers do this

my girl friend and i were shopping for a new 2005 tl w/nav and got this great deal from one of the dealers. when we went we agreed on the price right away and gave them the deposit. then this is the part, well we told them that she was from out of state and that she is here for next two month leave from her work to try out a position her in la. Then they told me that every thing should be ok and that come back for the car later. when we left they called us and told me that bank did not aproved the loan and that the monthly payment would be $30 more because the residual at this new bank will be lower. well her credit score is 783, i don't know what would be better than that. then i told them that i will co-sign or provide letter providing her future imployment localy i mean i was going to provide what ever they wanted to keep the deal to through. But when we got to the dealer they had the depoit check in there hand ready to say :"sorry we tried and isn't going to work, here is the check." they just didn't try to make the sales at all or gave us any options on what could be done. nothing like here is what we could do for you or could this work. it feels to me they just stated the low price to get us in and when we didn't fall for their ways they just dumped us for another customer. what do you guys think about this? please let me know? they just took our time and gas and added miles to my car. i am planing to call the bank to find out what went wrong and what could have kept the deal going but i have a feeling that they just didn't care.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:43 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
It's a common practice (borderline scam) for dealerships to call back later and say "we couldn't get you approved for that rate... but we can do this new rate, so come in and sign the papers". Of course, the new rate is higher.

But since they just handed the deposit check back, I don't think that's what they were trying to do.

Call up some banks in your area and see what their rates are. Once you're approved for a loan with a bank, then go back and buy the car. There's no law that says you have to finance through the dealership.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Racer

The dealership should have provided you with a written quote and hopefully you still have the paperwork with the price you agreed to purchase the car.

I would call the dealership and let them know you are going to still purchase the car that you test drove for your purchase (VIN number xxx) and you are working on your own financing. Set a date when you plan to have the loan completed. You cannot expect the dealership to hold the car while you shop for a loan. So ask if they will consider holding the car with a down payment check while you shop for a car loan.

This will show them that your girlfriend is serious about purchasing the car. Once your girlfriend has secure the bank loan for the car, then return to the dealership and close the deal.

If the dealership tries to renege on the previously agreed price and you have a written quote, report them to your local BBB and Acura Customer Care.

Good Luck.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Intermediate

since then

we got the car and for the price little lower than what we were looking for.
my girl friend loves it and i am always playing in her car over my clk.
although my car was about two times the price of hers but she has all the toys.
thanks for all the post. mike
Old 12-22-2005, 12:58 PM
Advanced

dont go to the bank (unless you are talking about the bank that denied your credit)....if you are denied credit the denying bank must provide you a copy of the letter and your credit report stating why...but you have to ask...

Originally Posted by mcho3
my girl friend and i were shopping for a new 2005 tl w/nav and got this great deal from one of the dealers. when we went we agreed on the price right away and gave them the deposit. then this is the part, well we told them that she was from out of state and that she is here for next two month leave from her work to try out a position her in la. Then they told me that every thing should be ok and that come back for the car later. when we left they called us and told me that bank did not aproved the loan and that the monthly payment would be $30 more because the residual at this new bank will be lower. well her credit score is 783, i don't know what would be better than that. then i told them that i will co-sign or provide letter providing her future imployment localy i mean i was going to provide what ever they wanted to keep the deal to through. But when we got to the dealer they had the depoit check in there hand ready to say :"sorry we tried and isn't going to work, here is the check." they just didn't try to make the sales at all or gave us any options on what could be done. nothing like here is what we could do for you or could this work. it feels to me they just stated the low price to get us in and when we didn't fall for their ways they just dumped us for another customer. what do you guys think about this? please let me know? they just took our time and gas and added miles to my car. i am planing to call the bank to find out what went wrong and what could have kept the deal going but i have a feeling that they just didn't care.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:59 PM
The Flipster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure I would have purchased from that dealer....but congrats on your purchase and good luck !!!