3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the current G35 Coupe (not G37) beat the '07 TL-S?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 05:46 PM
'07 TL Type-S 5A/T

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can the current G35 Coupe (not G37) beat the '07 TL-S?

Based on specs alone, I feel that the TL-S can outperform the current G35 coupe. Has anyone raced one yet? I was going to last night until the guy decided to go straight when I was making a right...*sigh*...

I raced a Chrysler 300C (V8 Hemi, non-SRT) the other day and killed it by a car length. Now, if he did have the SRT8 Hemi engine...I would've needed an M3 to compete. I have to admit though, as heavy as they are (300's), they can pull big time...I mean, the torque on them is insane...

What about the current Mustang GT vs. '07+ TL-S?

For all those '07+ TL-S owners, can you please provide a list of cars you've raced against? (be sure to include the outcome).

By all means, I'm not trying to promote racing, I'm just curious.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:56 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/T or M/T?

Stock G35 MT run high 13's to low 14's
AT is low 14's to mid 14's
Old 08-28-2007, 06:03 PM
'07 TL Type-S 5A/T

huh? I'm sorry, you'll have to un-newbify me... lol! I have the A/T, but use sportsshift.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:17 PM
Racer

I've raced a g35 coupe manual 3 times and won all 3 times. None were from a dig (starting from a stop). Generally they'll take the lead right away and you play catch up until about 85 mph. My friend is still rather new at shifting though, so it is a drivers game imho.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Racer

Also note that, intake exhaust and even headers really dont do anything for the g. I am a regular on g35driver.com and many people will vouch that they are just noise makers for the car. Only real performance maker besides f/i is the plenum spacer.

Our car however... intake = 15 hp, comtech = 9 (even stage 3 will do something), isothermal spacer= 10 hp... there is a lot of room my friend to move up if you want some confidence to beat the g35.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:26 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
this is going in the racing and comp forum
Old 08-28-2007, 07:39 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 842 Likes on 524 Posts
If you are talking about racing as in racing on a racetrack (one with turns), then the TL-S will most likely win. If you are talking about straight line acceleration, like you've said, the numbers favor the TL-S. But note that if you have 5AT, then it's more likely the G35 will win. G35 AT and G35 MT are about as fast as each other, you need to be very good with the G35 MT to beat a G35 AT. However, if you have TL-S 6MT, then you should be able to take out any stock 1st gen G35. Nonetheless, any G35 (1st or 2nd gen) vs TL-S is very debatable, a lot of time it really depends on driver's skills. I'd put my money on TL-S though if racing on tracks with corners.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:49 PM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
It all depends on the driver. I still don't know what a 07 TL-S auto runs in the 1/4 mile stock. Has anyone taken theirs to the track? I would assume with about equal power/weight ratio that the G35 coupe auto would be neck and neck with a 07TL-S auto and same goes for 6spd vs 6spd. Its all on the drivers!
Old 08-28-2007, 11:18 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I mean if your talking about an auto G35 sedan (03/04) vs your AT TL-S then that'll be close of the line. Driver race off the line IMO. From a roll (30mph for example) the TL-S should right away pull a car.

If your talking about an 05/06 G35 sedan, then off the line I give it to them.

If your talking about the 280hp G35 Coupe AT then off the line your most likely done for.
Again you'll have a much better chance from a roll!

And have a good time racing the MT G35s 298HP!!

Id still much much much rather be in the TL though!!!!!
Old 08-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Banned

A 3G TypeS can easily Outperform a G35, from a Dig or from a Roll. Twisties or Straight. M/T or Auto. BUT if the G35 is a good driver with a M/T its all on you den.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:31 PM
Banned

I have a 2G TypeS and i raced 04-05 G35 Auto, I stayed on his tale until 130 and thats when we Shutdown.
I was by myself with less than half a tank, He was with a guy (Holding Cam) , i dont know abt his Tank.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by spiike
Also note that, intake exhaust and even headers really dont do anything for the g. I am a regular on g35driver.com and many people will vouch that they are just noise makers for the car. Only real performance maker besides f/i is the plenum spacer.

Our car however... intake = 15 hp, comtech = 9 (even stage 3 will do something), isothermal spacer= 10 hp... there is a lot of room my friend to move up if you want some confidence to beat the g35.
Which Intake gives you 15? The most HP you get by Comptech i think. and Spacers only give you abt 5HP.
I Think an Intake gives a G35 about 8HP which is not bad.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:06 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by trancemission
this is going in the racing and comp forum
fuck you asshole
Old 08-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by brownie
I mean if your talking about an auto G35 sedan (03/04) vs your AT TL-S then that'll be close of the line. Driver race off the line IMO. From a roll (30mph for example) the TL-S should right away pull a car.
I don't think so. My G35 sedan auto will pull low/mid 2.1 60 foots all day long with barely a chirp of the tires. 5AT TLs are lucky to see upper 2.2 60 foots and most pull 2.3s. From a roll, I think an auto G would absolutely rock the crap out of an auto TL. At WOT, the torque converter in the 5AT locks which keeps the auto have bleeding power like most autos do. This results in better 1/4 mile ETs and especially MPHs. It's also much the reason why there's hardly any difference between the performance of an auto G and a 6MT, even from a roll. The G auto also has deep gearing which helps keep it in the meat of the powerband. The Honda auto is geared more towards ecomony.

If your talking about an 05/06 G35 sedan, then off the line I give it to them.
Why? The 05/06 sedans aren't any quicker than the 03/04s and they're usually fractionally slower thanks to a weight gain.

If your talking about the 280hp G35 Coupe AT then off the line your most likely done for.
Why? The coupe weighs 80lbs more than the sedan and 280hp coupe doesn't make anymore power than the 260hp 03/04 sedans which were actually making close to 275hp.

Again you'll have a much better chance from a roll!
True.

And have a good time racing the MT G35s 298HP!!
The 298hp 6MT G's are no quicker than the 260/280hp 6MT versions. The reason being the 298hp Rev-Up motor traded low/midrange power for topend HP. In the end, it was a wash. This was a great example of "HP sells cars".
Old 08-29-2007, 06:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave_B
From a roll, I think an auto G would absolutely rock the crap out of an auto TL.
You "THINK"... My older sister, my girlfriend and a guy friend have a G35 coupe Automatic. The guy friend has a Injer CAI and is lowered on Eibach springs, its him who i raced the most. From a roll at 30, 50, 75 mph I always pull on him. I pull the most from 30 and 50 (about 2 cars) 1 car at higher speeds. I have a stock 07 TL-S 5AT.
Before the 07 TL-S i had a 2nd Gen CL-S with CAI and i used to stay right next to him when we raced but couldnt pull. We were pretty even but he always got the jump first.
I dunno man, everytime someone mentions beating a G35 with a TL you seem to always pop out and say its impossible, that the G will destroy the TL anyday. Do you even have a TL? I respect how much u know about the VQ engine and all that, but u seem to underestimate the TL's top end.

Ps: i recieved your PM about the friendly race, but I recently got some 19 inch Axis Hiros installed on my car. They are F'ing HEAVY and my car feels like a PIG now...
Old 08-29-2007, 07:22 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Hmm seems like I have absolutely no idea of what im talking about.

I too, do respect your knowledge of G35s I was simply going off hp/tq numbers vs the TL-S.

And it seems like every 03-06 G model is the same.

My real life experiences with G35s have all been on the street ( I know anything can happen on the streets)

But your statement, "I think an auto G would absolutely rock the crap out of an auto TL." is just plain ignorant . I wish, WISH you lived in Southern California so we could do a friendly race. My mods aren't much, but I am dead even w/ one of my good friends Maxima from a light, and I pull on him from a 30mph roll.

Anyway, I know that a Maxima is not a G35 but I have played with them too. In fact I raced what seemed too to be an older model G35 (03/04) from a light, the car seemed totally stock. I knew we were going to race from the light because he revved is engine at me. The out come was he got me off the line only for a sec. I pulled up to him and passed him, not with ease but I passed him...probably we were going around 80-90mph when we stopped. This was when I was stock btw.

I know, I know...street races does not prove anything.

So why don't you ask one of your G35 friends over at your forums if they would like do a friendly race an 05 AT TL w/ pulley, and thermo spacers? It can be an 03-06 sedan (Seems like they are all the same anyway) w/ like mods.

Also it really does seem like when someone mentions a 3G TL beating a G35 you seems to freak out!! as if that can never be done. Just two peoples opinion....
Old 08-29-2007, 10:23 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

lol, that's Dave B guys, but just like you guys, I respect him for his knowledge in VQ35 powered cars (or any VQ powered cars...). I guess one of the reasons that he is saying all those is because his car, and some other G35s have managed ~14.3s, which indeed, is very respectable. But like he has mentioned too, it also really depends on conditions. And a lot of races here are from a roll too (yea yea street racing means nothing but still...), in which traction becomes a non-issue. And yea, usually 5AT TLs (or any J series Hondas with AT) are not that fast due to their tall gear ratios (but in return, we get very good gas mileage on the hwy that's comparable with direct injection DOHC engines if not better). Again, 6MT is the way to go if you want true performance of the J series.

As far as the statement "hp sells cars," that's half right, since max torque alone doesn't mean nothing. A battery-powered motor could be making 300lb/ft of torque at 0rpm but 0 at 2000rpm, it doesn't mean it will make the car fast. What you need is torque from low to high rpm, and if you have torque at high rpm, you have high hp too. So in a sense, a high hp car must be making some decent torque up there, or its torque after multiplication is decent.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Sorry guys, I'm just not buying it when it comes to the auto 2nd and 3rd gen TLs. You can shift through available timeslips on this website and you'll see that they're typically in the lower 15s at 91-93mph and the 2nd gens tend to be fractionally quicker The 6MTs tend be substantially faster. A 91-93mph car, even from a roll, is going to get rocked by one that does 97-99mph. Trap speed is an indicator of available HP. There's no way around it.

I wish I could fancy you Cali guys to a race, but I'm in Kansas City. I'm happy to run anyone that's willing to run at KCIR. If you Cali guys really want a race, there are a handful of SoCal G-owners that are racing at various tracks all around SoCal all the time. Simply post up in the Drag Section of g35driver.com and I'm certain you'll get any race you want.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:02 AM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Your right alot of the time slips on the site are in the 15s... but there are a some in the low 14s and some average 14s.

Most of those low 15s are do because of driver error or lack of experience. A properly driven 3G TL AT *should* be able to do mid 14s.

I think I will join G35driver and make a thread regarding a race.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:33 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Thumbs up '07 TL Type-S vs. '07 G35

A little while back, I was on the road. I see a middle-aged (bald) man pull up beside me at a stoplight. He had a brand new G35S, as there were no plates on his car yet. He has who I would presume to be his wife with him in the passenger seat. When the light turned green, he proceeded to step on it and take off...only to meet me at the next stoplight. I thought I might as well try to take him, just for fun, even while knowing he had more stock hp than me (286 v. 306). As soon as the light turned green, I took off, and I chirped going into second and third!! I ended up taking him by about at least a car length, until we met again at the next signal! I think he thought that he could take me, but upon finding out that he just got punked...w/ his wife in the car! he was too embarrassed and couldn't meet my stare, as I was doing one of these at him! I was so hyped that I had to call my friend and tell him about it right then and there...using the HFL, of course. I don't know how it all happened, but it did, and I had the VSA still on, and also the factory all-season tires mounted. My Type-S is to this day faster than a G35 bone stock, and I won't back down from any G35, until I get beaten, and proven otherwise.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dtech
Based on specs alone, I feel that the TL-S can outperform the current G35 coupe. Has anyone raced one yet? I was going to last night until the guy decided to go straight when I was making a right...*sigh*...

I raced a Chrysler 300C (V8 Hemi, non-SRT) the other day and killed it by a car length. Now, if he did have the SRT8 Hemi engine...I would've needed an M3 to compete. I have to admit though, as heavy as they are (300's), they can pull big time...I mean, the torque on them is insane...

What about the current Mustang GT vs. '07+ TL-S?

For all those '07+ TL-S owners, can you please provide a list of cars you've raced against? (be sure to include the outcome).

By all means, I'm not trying to promote racing, I'm just curious.
Can we have a friendly race?i have some intake and exhaust as my only mods.
Just PM me the place and time,I am off on friday night btw.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brownie
Your right alot of the time slips on the site are in the 15s... but there are a some in the low 14s and some average 14s.

Most of those low 15s are do because of driver error or lack of experience. A properly driven 3G TL AT *should* be able to do mid 14s.

I think I will join G35driver and make a thread regarding a race.
The 5ATs aren't seeing low to mid 14s unless you're talking about the 2nd gen TL/CLs with at least headers and an intake.

If you're familier with racing on a track, you'd know that ET is extremely variable and is almost entirely based on your 0 to 100' acceleration/traction. MPH on the otherhand doesn't vary much. You could run a 14.5@97mph with 2.2 60 foot or a 15.0@97mph with a 2.5 60 foot.

If a TL is seeing 15.2s@92mph with 2.4 60 foots, it's not going to see a 14.6@95mph with a 2.2 60 foot. Gaining 3 mph would suggest a gain of about 40whp in a 3,500lb car.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:48 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Again, according to C&D, 2nd gen TL-S can do 1/4mile in 14.8s@96mph in the summer.

http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroa...tl-type-s.html

I'd assume when it's cooler it can be a bit faster, and with different drivers the result can vary a lot, but at least we have an idea of what it is capable of. 3rd gen TL is a bit lighter with 10 more hp, theoretically they should be a bit faster.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by iforyou
Again, according to C&D, 2nd gen TL-S can do 1/4mile in 14.8s@96mph in the summer.

http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroa...tl-type-s.html

I'd assume when it's cooler it can be a bit faster, and with different drivers the result can vary a lot, but at least we have an idea of what it is capable of. 3rd gen TL is a bit lighter with 10 more hp, theoretically they should be a bit faster.
Well, like I said orginally, the 2nd gen TL/CLs tend to be fractionally quicker than the 3rd 5AT TLs.

Also C&D, Motor Trend, etc. correct their times to standard conditions and temp (sea level, 29.8 baro, 60 degrees). Also, their runs are with fancy G-tech times which give high ending MPHs than you'll see on the track which averages your MPH over the last 66', not at the finish line. A G-tech will typically see 2mph higher traps. If all of us that went to the strip posted our corrected times, many of us would be quicker.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:17 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

I don't have track experience yet, but I will. Anyway I have seen a AT 3G TL run mid 14s and thats my point.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:27 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Edit:

We'll see, until then there is nothing I can say to change your mind about a 3Gen TL (AT) running mid 14s and I don't care. As long as I know even one 3G AT TL ran a mid 14 im happy

http://www.dragtimes.com/Acura-TL-Timeslip-7284.html