Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone chirp when shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 03:24 AM
To punish and enslave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone chirp when shifting?

I'm having trouble chirping my tires when shifting from 1st to 2nd. It feels like the clutch is slipping or something. Does anyone have tips on chirping in this car? I'm talking about the 3.2 by the way.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:54 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure you disable the traction control. The button next to the mirror controls. I can shred into second as long as I want, and chirp 3rd pretty easily.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you should be more worried about not drving like an asshole. just another reason why children shouldn't be driving such a high power car.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:44 AM
Pro

^ OUCH ^

Let's play nice!
Old 06-08-2007, 06:24 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rbf351
you should be more worried about not drving like an asshole. just another reason why children shouldn't be driving such a high power car.

Better yet, keep practicing. If your clutch ain't slippin yet, it will be soon.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:19 AM
Pro

whats up with all the hazing of the young people? I mean really?? He just asked a damn question.

TL CHROMETIDE, I apologize for how rude some people are. You have been here for a while so you surely know how flaming goes here and there.

Anyways honestly I didnt know about the VSA button until about a week after I had the car and I was at an acurazine meet in VA and someone pointed it out to me. Really though the CAI made a big difference in this area, and the pulley made an even bigger difference.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TL CHROMETIDE
I'm having trouble chirping my tires when shifting from 1st to 2nd. It feels like the clutch is slipping or something. Does anyone have tips on chirping in this car? I'm talking about the 3.2 by the way.
I've chirped unintentionally from 1st to 2nd when merging onto highways. And sometimes just for fun. Once you get the shifting motions nailed down, nice and smooth and timed right, it will happen easily.

You youngsters have it so easy these days - when I was 17, I had to neutral-drop my mom's 1981 Pontiac Bonneville to get any tire squeeling action! If there were internet forums back then (1992), I'm sure I'd get flamed as well...

Just watch yourself out there and drive safe.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:01 AM
Pro

You can do it without turning off the TC, I never turn my TC off and it happens on occation. If you shift at the redline and then shift very quickly (including letting the clutch out fast) it will just happen. I cannot speak for 2nd to 3rd, that might require turning off the TC.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:08 AM
My Daily Driver

I can roast my 19's into 2nd pretty good, but have never been able to get 3rd to spin unless it's raining or snowing.

TLFOURPLAY, you have a type s correct?
Old 06-08-2007, 08:27 AM
Burning Brakes

I can chirp the tires in my wifes Hyundai Accent. So it don't really take that much power. I think the car has 110hp.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:31 AM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

wow i must be lucky - or unlucky... however you look at it.

my tires chirp even when VSA IS on... let alone off I can do a decent burnout... trying not to tho...

I dont even try to chirp the tires, and im not slammin on the gas lol. I have an AT btw.

OP - sorry for the @$$hats all hatin on your age... they got beat up when they were 17 - thats why they are bitter.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:49 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I never turn my VSA off, and I have done BOTH (1-2, 2-3) on occassion. However, I burned so much rubber in earlier years that I realize the expense of tires and don't get into that now. I don't agree with the comments about it being unsafe though, because I have NEVER spun out of control. In fact, in earlier years, I used to love popping and snatching it and making the chirp and full burn-outs when I wanted to and in a controlled way. I could make a friggin cloud of white smoke and not move in my 5.0 Mustang!

Yeah, buying new tires will make you cut that out one day as well! Have fun, but just be smart!
Old 06-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Originally Posted by darksom1
I never turn my VSA off, and I have done BOTH (1-2, 2-3) on occassion. However, I burned so much rubber in earlier years that I realize the expense of tires and don't get into that now. I don't agree with the comments about it being unsafe though, because I have NEVER spun out of control. In fact, in earlier years, I used to love popping and snatching it and making the chirp and full burn-outs when I wanted to and in a controlled way. I could make a friggin cloud of white smoke and not move in my 5.0 Mustang!

Yeah, buying new tires will make you cut that out one day as well! Have fun, but just be smart!
always the wise

lol, i have to get new tires before winter anyway... so i might have fun this summer with these POS's...
Old 06-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by johnny--2k
TLFOURPLAY, you have a type s correct?

Yessir. 261hp and 241tq at the wheels dyno proven.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by HiTEC
I can chirp the tires in my wifes Hyundai Accent. So it don't really take that much power. I think the car has 110hp.
I wasn't going to post anything. But when I was 18 I had a 1985 Nissan Sentra hatchback and I could chirp the tires in that. It has 60hp.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:20 PM
My Daily Driver

That would be the reason for the 3rd gear chirp. I got it once in my 05 with the stock 17's before I replaced the tires. No way in hell I could do it with the 19's unless I get the procats, thermoblock spacers and finish the exhaust......doubtful even at that.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:33 PM
To punish and enslave

So is it just shifting fast? What is the proper procedure to do it?
Old 06-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Pro

a couple of ways. first off hit your VSA button. Take it to or close to redline and shift and immediately floor it. Should acheive desired result. Another way (not really recommended in a nice car or a car that you car about) is to get going in first and get about 250rpm's away from redline and shift gears while keeping pedal floored. This will cause your engine to bounce off of redline while you engage the gear. Hell on the clutch though. I used to do that in my 95 GMC Sonoma but no way I would do that in my TL.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by TLFourplay
a couple of ways. first off hit your VSA button. Take it to or close to redline and shift and immediately floor it. Should acheive desired result. Another way (not really recommended in a nice car or a car that you car about) is to get going in first and get about 250rpm's away from redline and shift gears while keeping pedal floored. This will cause your engine to bounce off of redline while you engage the gear. Hell on the clutch though. I used to do that in my 95 GMC Sonoma but no way I would do that in my TL.
What you have just described (keeping your foot in the throttle while shifting) is called "power shifting". This is something I would most definitely not recommend doing in most cars today.. especially front drivers. These machines are not made of the same stuff as the American supercars of the mid-60s were and a diet of power shifting is likely to net you broken shifters, damaged clutches, and a host of other things.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

My friend, there is nothing magical or special about getting gears (this is an old saying which means breaking traction during aggressive shifting). I can get rubber (another old saying which also means breaking traction under the same circumstances) in 1st (of course), 2nd, and 3rd gear in my '04. If you really want to know how to do this, here goes.

o Turn the VSA off.

o Launch the car with aggression.. as in just this side of smoking the tires.

o Once the clutch is fully engaged, nail the throttle.

o Do your 1-2 shift around 6000 to 6200 RPM and do it quickly (speed shift, don't power shift).

If you do this right and your clutch has no appreciable wear, and its support systems and components are good, you should be able to break traction in 2nd and 3rd gears (first will be mostly smoke).

I have to ask.. why do you want to do this? Just to showboat??
Old 06-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Back in a TL again.

I ROASTED THE TIRES IN TO THIRD AND CHIRPED In FOURTH ON THE 07 TLS. TEST DRIVE WAS FUN...

disengage the vsa

-from start or rolling rolling would make more sense

- rev it close to red line and shift with out letting go of the gas you only need to push the clutch in half way once your use to driving stick..

-you also really need to practice shifting quick....

-and make sure you and your shifter are one cause its really easy to go lets say from 4th to 3rd instead of 5th...for some noobs.

- do that in every gear I've done it on my 00 Si the whole time i owned it i put close to 20k on the car and clutch and engine didn't get harmed as far as i know... kid still driving it that i sold it to...
Old 06-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Back in a TL again.

disclaimer to ^^^^^

do it at your own discretion Don't blame anyone if you smash your car or mess it up....
Old 06-08-2007, 06:22 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Yes i can chirp gears when shifting, no i dont do it! Reason being it can badly damage your clutch and cause a mess that looks like a birds nest between your trans and motor, also could lead to future trans problems. But if you want to beat on your car its your decision, but i would expect mechanical problems in the future!
Old 06-08-2007, 07:04 PM
To punish and enslave

I guess I won't do it. or I'll at least wait until the end of the year when the car gets turned in. I tried it ONCE and nothing happened so it was whatever, I haven't done any hard shifting since. I wanted to try it because some my friends were doing it and I felt that I had to try it at least once.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:15 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Chirping in FWD doesn't take much magic. It can certainly cost a bunch though. While there's very little risk of losing control, your CV joints won't be too happy with a bunch of chirping.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:42 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
but I agree...HELL NO!!
Old 06-08-2007, 07:49 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Yea, it is all about the shifting. I could do it in my 93 Civic LX, in at just over 100 hp I think.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Instructor

LOL...but what is the point of all this "chirping" when BOVs sound so much better not even redlining to a point where your engine explodes and the "whizzing" noise of a supercharger in a car rackin up mphs??? Just don't chirp anymore, serves no purpose, if you wanna get noticed....get turbo or s/c....less stressing your engine and you'll also get better recognition from those who are 'checkin' you out...

CHIRP -

TURBO -

S/C -
Old 06-08-2007, 10:00 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, fancy footwork is a little cheaper than a Comptech S/C or custom turbo setup
Old 06-09-2007, 02:07 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
If you decide to learn how to do it, this is the most correct post from one of the most experienced drivers. SouthernBoy also makes his clutch last almost forever using proper shifting technique. Do a search and learn how.

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
My friend, there is nothing magical or special about getting gears (this is an old saying which means breaking traction during aggressive shifting). I can get rubber (another old saying which also means breaking traction under the same circumstances) in 1st (of course), 2nd, and 3rd gear in my '04. If you really want to know how to do this, here goes.

o Turn the VSA off.

o Launch the car with aggression.. as in just this side of smoking the tires.

o Once the clutch is fully engaged, nail the throttle.

o Do your 1-2 shift around 6000 to 6200 RPM and do it quickly (speed shift, don't power shift).

If you do this right and your clutch has no appreciable wear, and its support systems and components are good, you should be able to break traction in 2nd and 3rd gears (first will be mostly smoke).

I have to ask.. why do you want to do this? Just to showboat??
Old 06-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Pro

Anyone ever chirp the tires downshifting to slow down? I have never done this in my TL but I was able to do it in my Civic many years ago.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by fish008
Anyone ever chirp the tires downshifting to slow down? I have never done this in my TL but I was able to do it in my Civic many years ago.

Actually as a matter of fact I just did this today. I was taking some backroads here in Germany that I have never been on and I had all my windows down. I was really getting on it too and I had to REALLY slow down for a turn so I downshifted at 85 to third and I heard both the front tires lock for a sec. It was pretty neat. I put her through her paces today let me tell you but gosh damn I love that car. Bitch of it all was when I went to wash my car tonight after all the spirited driving I noticed my R/F Ron Jon center wheel cap was missing.. damn.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

If this occurs, it is definite evidence that the driver does not know how to properly downshift. This is caused by getting the clutch out quickly and causing the drive wheels to pull the engine back up to speed suddenly. The resistance of the engine to do this, coupled with the quick clutch engagement, causes the drive wheels to "drag" slightly, thereby breaking traction for a moment.

This is very bad technique and should be avoided. When downshifting, if you do it correctly, a passenger in your car should be totally unaware of what just took place.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

If this occurs, it is definite evidence that the driver does not know how to properly downshift. This is caused by getting the clutch out quickly and causing the drive wheels to pull the engine back up to speed suddenly. The resistance of the engine to do this, coupled with the quick clutch engagement, causes the drive wheels to "drag" slightly, thereby breaking traction for a moment.

This is very bad technique and should be avoided. When downshifting, if you do it correctly, a passenger in your car should be totally unaware of what just took place.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:17 AM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Chirping happens when you dump the clutch out too fast! Like what is said above it should be avoided.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Pro

Well I am going to defend myself by saying that either I had to drop clutch fast and engine brake in conjunction with regular brakes or I was gonna go off the road. Of course as noted by Southernboy this is NOT the preferred method of downshifting.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

Well I am going to defend myself by saying that either I had to drop clutch fast and engine brake in conjunction with regular brakes or I was gonna go off the road. Of course as noted by Southernboy this is NOT the preferred method of downshifting.
Yes, I fully agree that exceptions, serious exceptions, should always rule. I would do the same in a situation where I needed to avoid an accident or something else of similar importance.

So exceptions can and do dictate how we do things.. absolutely.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Team Anthracite

chirping i guess is ok if u are trying to accel fast.... =)

look at some quarter mile vid! =) u see chirping 1st-2nd-3rd gear =)

=) or if u want.. look at integra type-r LOL =)
Old 06-10-2007, 11:01 AM
EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE!

Looks like you need the "DRIVER MOD!"
Old 06-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Pro

Yea...my Civic was an automatic. My TL is a stick and because I know how to drive I bet that is why I have never done it.