View Poll Results: Would you race your TL Auto on SCAA autocross?
YES
23.19%
NO
44.93%
ARE YOU NUTZ???
30.43%
I hate speed !!!!
1.45%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Bye Bye Ressonators

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004 | 09:01 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Aegir
212hp and 206ftlbs. Same dyno, but certainly a different day with different conditions.
The conditions shouldn't matter if the numbers are SAE corrected. The Dyno should have a weather station that takes the temperature, humidity and barometric pressure into account and calculates equivilant horsepower and torque (hence SAE corrected).
Old 06-18-2004 | 09:03 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by cTLgo
no
Your car is equipped with federal mandated emission equipment. They carry a warranty for something like 10 years. So messing with your exhaust would void that warranty as far as the cars warranty thats up to the dealer. New cars are so computerized and designed to run with all the H.P. robbing emissions crap. That it could possible trigger some check engine lights and then the dealer could be like sorry you messed with the exhaust we need to fix the exhaust back to original before we can diagnose the problem. Hope this gives a diffrent prospective. Not all dealers are that anal though.
Old 06-18-2004 | 10:22 AM
Powered by Guinness

Originally Posted by GoBig
The conditions shouldn't matter if the numbers are SAE corrected. The Dyno should have a weather station that takes the temperature, humidity and barometric pressure into account and calculates equivilant horsepower and torque (hence SAE corrected).
Perhaps, but there are other variables including things like stabilizing coolant temps - few people do that because it's a pain and takes time, sensor variations between cars, different gas, different mileage...there are many. mfeijo mentioned in an earlier post that the guys at the dyno shop stated the higher temps would lower his result - so perhaps they do not correct for weather conditions.

Perhaps none of that matters since the peaks on the first and second pulls are pretty close.
Old 06-18-2004 | 10:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by rescueswimmer
Your car is equipped with federal mandated emission equipment. They carry a warranty for something like 10 years. So messing with your exhaust would void that warranty as far as the cars warranty thats up to the dealer. New cars are so computerized and designed to run with all the H.P. robbing emissions crap. That it could possible trigger some check engine lights and then the dealer could be like sorry you messed with the exhaust we need to fix the exhaust back to original before we can diagnose the problem. Hope this gives a diffrent prospective. Not all dealers are that anal though.

resonators have nothing to do with emmissions
Old 06-18-2004 | 11:26 AM
SoCarioca!! :)

:thinking:

I thought it could be agood idea to have a disclaimer. I do not encourage or approve any modifications on cars. I published my own modification for illustrations purposes only and do not encourage anyone to do it.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO THIS AT HOME!!!
Old 06-18-2004 | 12:27 PM
You touch my tra la la...

I took my car to a custom exhaust place and they told me 100-150 and said they couldn't tell until they get it in the air, but all the lifts were taken. I don't think I will be calling them back.
Old 06-18-2004 | 12:31 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Called up a local place, they said they'll do it for 65 bucks. w00t.
Old 06-18-2004 | 12:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Ed99: the 04 TL *IS* already cold air intake. It breathes from the front left bumper opening.
Old 06-18-2004 | 03:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

mfeijo, you're driving 5AT, do you feel this mod reduce the resonnacne of the exhaust at 1500 RPM (5th gear)?

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2004 | 03:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by cTLgo
resonators have nothing to do with emmissions
Your entire exhaust system has to do with emissions. Backpressure changes the way fuel burns and the way the computer adjusts for opitmal air/fuel mixture. So removing anypart of the exhaust to free it up messes with emissions period......
Old 06-18-2004 | 10:04 PM
Zaino under fingernails

Just a friendly reminder...

Dyno results are affected by variables such as:

-fuel quality
-air filter quality
-air temperature
-humidity
-individual engine variation
-transmission type

Without a dyno test before and after, this is going to be a guessing game as to the level of improvement, if any.

That said, if one were adding a turbo or supercharger with marked hp results, that would be a different story.

But, if you like the sound and you think it helped, you got a bargain for $60 bucks!
Old 06-19-2004 | 01:14 AM
Safety Car

Does your setup "drone" on the highway like the comptech exhausts for the previous gen. TL/CL do?
Old 06-19-2004 | 02:43 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Originally Posted by Sherlock
Ed99: the 04 TL *IS* already cold air intake. It breathes from the front left bumper opening.
Sherlock,

I know but having an aftermarket Intake system such as the AEM Cold Air Intake will inhale more air compare to our stock air box tho.
Old 06-19-2004 | 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by rets
mfeijo, you're driving 5AT, do you feel this mod reduce the resonance of the exhaust at 1500 RPM (5th gear)?

Thanks.
I think it is resonating more whit out the resonators. But it really doesn't bother me. I like the sound, and there is no extra vibration. You hear the resonation, but don't feel it in the car.

OH and of course the sound is changing a lot. It changed a bunch after the guy at the dyno took it to 150 MPH in 4th and kept it there for a while..
Another thing: I love the torque curve.. I'll scan the graphic and post it.

... So what everyone is saying is that ideally a dyno measuring place should give me the SAE power of the car instead of what I've got? I need to find a place that measures SAE hp? Can someone clear this up for me? Or beer, should I ask dynolab if that is their standard?

Thanks!

here is the graphic:

Old 06-19-2004 | 08:46 AM
Pro

impressive, I didnt realize how fast it puts tourque to the wheels. You probably could have collected a doller from everyone who wanted to dyno their tl. You could go back and do it again.
Old 06-20-2004 | 10:37 AM
R&D of Team Anthracite

OH and of course the sound is changing a lot. It changed a bunch after the guy at the dyno took it to 150 MPH in 4th and kept it there for a while..

how they manage 150 mph in 4th gear? lolz
Old 08-20-2004 | 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by 2k4TLkev

how they manage 150 mph in 4th gear? lolz
MAN! I HAVE NO CLUE!

Now, thinking about it, I bet there is a device limiting the speed!
I just repeated what the guy told me at the dyno shop.. Bummer!
My bad!

Oh, racing it tomorrow at the green lot, at turner field. SCAA Nationals warm-up
Old 08-20-2004 | 03:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BrandHdriver
Just a friendly reminder...

Dyno results are affected by variables such as:

-fuel quality
-air filter quality
-air temperature
-humidity
-individual engine variation
-transmission type

Without a dyno test before and after, this is going to be a guessing game as to the level of improvement, if any.
I always thought the dyno systems calculate for humidity and temperature, as well as altitude and give you a corrected number so you can compare across the board. I know they can't account for the air filter quality and fuel quality, but assuming you don't have bad gas, and it's a relatively new car, with a clean filter, I think the dyno numbers you get do mean something.
Old 08-20-2004 | 03:53 PM
Advanced

The pics help. Looking underneath the TL, I'm convinced that the tunnel where the exhaust resides is for the future use of all-wheel drive mechanicals. I thought one of the benefits of FWD was the elimination of the 'hump' in the passenger cabin - yet the TL has one.

Or maybe not.
Old 08-20-2004 | 03:55 PM
SOLD

I took the TL to 145 in 4th just one time. You can max the car out in 4th just the same as 5th gear. I don't belive the 5 speed AT is any different than the 4 speed AT of old TL's, but that 5th gear is the reason we get such great highway mileage.
Old 08-20-2004 | 04:22 PM
Registered Member

One thing to consider in all of this. My last car was a 2002 Altima SE (manual tranny). The V6 in that car really needed to breathe because the thing was so stiffled by the factory intake and exhaust. I installed a Frankencar/Apexi intake which upped the WHP by roughly 13-14 HP. Then I installed a UR UDP and later a Mossy full catback exhaust system. The engine definitely woke up.

Now a quick cursory examination of the exhaust on the TL seems to indicate that it is not nearly as restrictive as that which was stock on the Altima. And the intake, though nowhere near as good as the Frankencar/Apexi (which was a WAI I might add) is better than the one that came on the Altima.

What I am getting at with this is this. Unless you are planning to install headers, a downpipe, and a full open exhaust system, you might be wasting your money. Seems like Acura already gave us a decent, albiet quite, exhaust. The intake, though could use some improvement.