Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 11:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Good one...

Old 06-28-2004, 11:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I can't wait to see this AEM CAI that'll produce 20whp/20tork supposedly...i'll be the FIRST to invest in this baby when it comes out...

Aegir... great thread, start to finish. Thank you for your contribution to the forum -- nothing beats the cold hard facts!
Old 06-29-2004, 07:32 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I put a AutoXray 6000 Scanner on my TL and the ambient air temps looked fine. I do not intend to waste my time just to get some "throat" in the intake. Plus, resonators can be designed to optimize mid-range power, and do not necessarily limit power at all - if the AEM provides any power at all, it will likely be up in the RPM range. Not useful for the street.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:54 AM
SOLD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Aegir for your time and effort.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:34 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Rage
I put a AutoXray 6000 Scanner on my TL and the ambient air temps looked fine. I do not intend to waste my time just to get some "throat" in the intake. Plus, resonators can be designed to optimize mid-range power, and do not necessarily limit power at all - if the AEM provides any power at all, it will likely be up in the RPM range. Not useful for the street.
well, per the .pdf from their site (yeah yeah, highly suspect, I know) they claim gains across the board ... see .pdf link above for yourself. Comptech's Icebox had it's own resonator .. and guess what, it had gains across the board as well ..

But I agree, the resonator is designed for two purposes -- contol the engine sounds, and low-mid range power.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:43 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Rage
Thanks for the great feedback. I'd be interested in hearing about any IAT data you collect - such as if/how it changes with speed.

If anyone is still considering removing their intake resonator, please reread my first conclusion: "If you are looking for power, I do not think this is a good mod." Since my car produced basically 'stock' numbers on the dyno, I think it is fair to conclude that the resonator and factory ducting that I removed did not represent a restriction, or that any restriction removed was counteracted by altering the tuned length and volume of the intake system. At this point, I may try a CAI or I may reinstall the resonator. I won't leave it as is long term. More noise without a productive gain doesn't make sense to me.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:55 PM
SOLD

Maybe I am just over analyzing which tends to happen frequently, but does anyone know a defined pupose for the resonator/silencer on the intake? In the big Acura book about the TL (the one with all the pictures) , it claims that the low and mid-range power (in a nutshell) comes from VTEC of course, and also resonators supposedly within or attached to the manifold. If the power comes from these, then what does the box in the intake do? What does "resonating" the airflow do?

Also regarding that dyno.....40HP lost? Sorry if you specified, but is that the 6 or 5, because AT is probably even more power lost thru drivetrain than manual. That is ridiculous!
Old 06-29-2004, 01:20 PM
Powered by Guinness

Originally Posted by NightRider
Maybe I am just over analyzing which tends to happen frequently, but does anyone know a defined pupose for the resonator/silencer on the intake? In the big Acura book about the TL (the one with all the pictures) , it claims that the low and mid-range power (in a nutshell) comes from VTEC of course, and also resonators supposedly within or attached to the manifold. If the power comes from these, then what does the box in the intake do? What does "resonating" the airflow do?

Also regarding that dyno.....40HP lost? Sorry if you specified, but is that the 6 or 5, because AT is probably even more power lost thru drivetrain than manual. That is ridiculous!
Here is my layman's explanation of resonators. Intake airflow is not continuous. It is actually a series of pulses caused by opening of the intake valves and feedback pulses when the valves close, and this results in the resonance. The frequency of these pulses change with RPM. The resonator provides a volume with a size and opening tuned to counteract specific resonance ranges. If you look at the TL resonator, it has two volumes with two different sized opening, presumably to work in two different RPM ranges. Eliminating resonance results in a quieter engine, and the improved flow dynamics can improve torque and power.

A chassis dyno reports power at the wheels, not at the flywheel. About a 15% loss through a manual transmission is typical. 15% of 270 is 40.5, so 229 seems about right. My car is a 6MT. I've seen three other dyno's on stock 6MT's in the 220-230 whp range.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:00 PM
SOLD

Originally Posted by Aegir
Here is my layman's explanation of resonators. Intake airflow is not continuous. It is actually a series of pulses caused by opening of the intake valves and feedback pulses when the valves close, and this results in the resonance. The frequency of these pulses change with RPM. The resonator provides a volume with a size and opening tuned to counteract specific resonance ranges. If you look at the TL resonator, it has two volumes with two different sized opening, presumably to work in two different RPM ranges. Eliminating resonance results in a quieter engine, and the improved flow dynamics can improve torque and power.

A chassis dyno reports power at the wheels, not at the flywheel. About a 15% loss through a manual transmission is typical. 15% of 270 is 40.5, so 229 seems about right. My car is a 6MT. I've seen three other dyno's on stock 6MT's in the 220-230 whp range.
Thank you for elaborating, sir. I already have a K&N filter which seems to warrant around 50 more miles a tank (or could it be the engine is coming to life after 6K miles?) and sounds throatier after 4700 RPM. I am going to try removing all the intake piping except for the one directly mounted to filter box. This looks like what you did - but mine is a 5AT and with the K&N and I will try and get a dyno going....
Old 06-29-2004, 07:53 PM
Not a Blowhole

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
well, per the .pdf from their site (yeah yeah, highly suspect, I know) they claim gains across the board ... see .pdf link above for yourself. Comptech's Icebox had it's own resonator .. and guess what, it had gains across the board as well ..

But I agree, the resonator is designed for two purposes -- contol the engine sounds, and low-mid range power.
I hear ya - but wouldn't that be with a hi=po air filter as well? Hard to control the variables so it is an apples to apples comparo. BTW, nice to be back and see your name again - been a while. Swing over to WWW.S2KI.COM and see some of my work as Road Rage on the S2000 community. Lots of fun, pretty knowledgeable group.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:02 PM
Not a Blowhole

Originally Posted by NightRider

The short point is this: there is absolutely no guarantee that removing a resonator, whether it be in the intake or the exhaust will necessarily result in better power or sound, or both.

Well, I will try to express this simply, as it deals with basic physics, and the properties of air in a enclosed space - it could be a room, or in our case, the airbox or air intake system. The basic principles stem from Helmholtz' pioneering work on the behavior of soundwaves in a space of known dimensions, actually eigentons, in such a confined space. http://www2.sfu.ca/sonic-studio/hand...Resonator.html

What Acura and other mfr's try to do with their resonators is twofold:
1) reduce unnecessary noise to comply with drive-by noise standards and customer preferences
2) "Tune" the airbox so that the eigentons work for you, not against you. By calculating the total air mass, and the dimensions, the characteristic frequency crests and troughs (remember that sound waves are analogous to ocean waves), and applying Helmholtz' equations, it is possible to have a terminal slot, or slots, which will cause the waves to build on one another, while cancelling at other frequencies. Properly done, this can allow more air to move through the space at a given frequency- actually a higher amplitude. Acura has a tuning mechanism already in the intake manifold, and by juggling the proper variables, they can actually provide a boost in mid-range power (or high RPM power if they wanted to), while reducing or eliminating intake "throat" noise. Note: this is a simplistic description of rather complex topics, and I have used loose language which would cause another engineer to cringe, but I have tried to make it conceptually accessible for the layman.

I have seen a graph from Volvo that shows how its resonator increased mid-band toreque, while an aftermarket "CAI tube" actually caused a loss, with a few HP at the very top of the powerband, which is useless for most drivers.

It does not surprise me that most sellers of CAI show only positive results, but this is very unlikely, since the same laws of physics apply to them as to the rest of us, and their engineers seldomly have the training, knowledge, or resources of the mfr. An exception is CompTech - look at their dynos for nearly any product, and they will show + and - gains vs. stock systems.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:37 PM
Powered by Guinness

Since this post has bumped up again, I'll again restate that I DO NOT think removing the intake resonator is a good move for this car. Removing it provided little or no power increase, and for the work involved it makes sense to follow through with a CAI install. Removing resonators has worked in the past on other older cars including previous gen TL/CL's, but Acura apparently did its homework on the '04. Technology marches on and I have no doubt that Acura and other companies are learning from what happens in the aftermarket.

As far as stated claims vs. reality, I give Injen credit for providing reasonably accurate dyno claims for the '04 TL. They publish actual WinPEP printouts of actual runs rather than presentation graphics. They were honest in their presentation of low/mid-range power drop (I didn't see this on mine) and my before/after dyno's looked very much like the dyno that they provided.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:38 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I left the rubber 'donut' on the intake housing based on the recommendations I saw regarding second gen CL's on A-CL - thanks guys!

maybe they learned that from here a-tl.com there is always excellent sharing between forums, but you almost never know who's idea was first. Hey, if it is a good idea why not share thanks, for the tip, thought I had that done over 4 years ago. :P
Old 07-23-2004, 11:36 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

Thanks for the great feedback. I'd be interested in hearing about any IAT data you collect - such as if/how it changes with speed.

If anyone is still considering removing their intake resonator, please reread my first conclusion: "If you are looking for power, I do not think this is a good mod." Since my car produced basically 'stock' numbers on the dyno, I think it is fair to conclude that the resonator and factory ducting that I removed did not represent a restriction, or that any restriction removed was counteracted by altering the tuned length and volume of the intake system. At this point, I may try a CAI or I may reinstall the resonator. I won't leave it as is long term. More noise without a productive gain doesn't make sense to me.
Just one question, did you dyno your car before the mod???? You are assuming no increase by comparing your results with other posted stock results.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:55 PM
Powered by Guinness

Originally Posted by Swat Dude
Just one question, did you dyno your car before the mod???? You are assuming no increase by comparing your results with other posted stock results.
Great question. No, a prior dyno was not done. I've kicked myself a few times for not doing one because it does make it difficult to draw more solid conclusions. A comparison was made to three other stock 6MT dyno's - which were all close and were averaged. They were done on different cars, at different times, on different dynos (all DynoJet 248's). I concluded that if there was anything gained it wasn't much to write home about. Also, the gains seen when I installed the Injen CAI seem to support that my TL was pretty much making stock power without the resonator.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:59 PM