Buying a TL from an Auction

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010 | 06:52 PM
Instructor

Question Buying a TL from an Auction

**MOD EDIT**

What is everyone’s thoughts on buying a car from an auction? How and why do the cars end up there? TIA

Last edited by ggesq; 03-23-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-23-2010 | 06:57 PM
Senior Moderator

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/%2A%2A%2A-carfax-dmv-org-other-vin-lookup-threads-requests-%2A%2A%2A-346937/

this is why your post was edited. i left your thread open so your other questions can be answered.
Old 03-23-2010 | 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

There is no warranty when buying from an auction, or at least a long term warranty. There is a mechanical warranty at time of sale, that's it. If a problem is noticed while the car is on the grounds, the auction will have their mechanic look it over to be certain it wasn't sold with a major defect.
Dealers that have had cars on their lots for quite a while will move them to the auction to rotate their inventory, as well as some dealerships just don't like a competitor’s vehicle on their lot, or they feel that the dealer with that sells that particular car new will have a better chance of moving the car and for more money. Example, a TL on a Chevy lot. It would make more sense and have a higher selling price if on an Acura dealership lot.
Deals can be had through the auction, but in some instances the deals aren't as great as you might imagine as the dealers aren't going to give the car away.
Old 03-23-2010 | 08:39 PM
Advanced

I've bought my last 3 cars from auctions and my TL-S is one of those cars.

Pros:
-wholesale price
-wholesale price
-wholesale price

Cons:
-tough to get a take on the actual condition of the car. I have bought low mileage vehicles that are still under factory warranty. That way, I feel there is some protection.
-you have be patient -- sometimes the color combination with preffered mileage doesn't come through the auction for weeks.
-Anything that is wrong with the car, i.e. tires, cracked windshield, check engine light, alignment, etc...you are going to have to pay to fix.
-No CPO warranty -- but you can always get AcuraCare if the vehicle is still under factory warranty.

If you find yourself at the auction, don't get caught up in the emotion of bidding and winning. That is exactly what they want you to do. Set a price and stick with it. Key is be patient and if the car doesn't feel right for whatever reason, walk away. There will always be more cars at the auction the next week.

One other thing...there is a great thread on this over in Car Talk. It's titled...rookie mistake at the auction....or something like it.