Buy Used TL-S or Lease new TSX????

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009 | 11:41 PM
Drifting

Buy Used TL-S or Lease new TSX????

I've test driven both. I like the look o fhte new TSX and like the interior a bit more. I liike the dash layout, shifter, stereo...

i am NOT a big fan of the nav setu pon the TL-S... I have a 2007 MDX and I like the big knob like they have on the TSX now. the little button thing you push with your finger on the TL is okay but feels less "intuitive" to me. also, some aspects ot he TL-S feels "dated" to me.

I like hte POWER of the TL and I think the TL-S is a better handling car and a more sporty feeling car.

I can BUY a used TL-S with 20-25k miles for about $26-27k.

I can BUY a new TSX in that range w/OUT nav..or I could lease one.

the lease deals on the TSX are like $350/month with only 2500 down. i could probably get a slightly better deal.

I like hte idea of having the car for three years,a nd then just turning it back in when I'm sick of it. but I think in the long run, it might be financially cheaper to buy the TL-S.

I'd likely fiance the TL-S over 5 years. maybe 6. i'd keep it to the end of the loan, then sell it. at the end of 6 years the TL would still have SOME value that I could put back in my pocket. on a 3 year lease, I'd spend roughly $15k leasing a TSX for three years. so to compare leasing to buying.. imagine a 6 year LOAN vs TWO 3 year leases.

so leasing the TSX is 15k/ 3 years. imagine I did two such leases back to back. so effectively I'm out $30k for six years. at the end of 6 years i've leased two new cars, but have nothign tos how for it.

at the end of a 27k loan, I'd spend roughly $34k with taxes, interest,e tc. Not sure exactly what I'd ilkely spend on maintenance and upkeep. I'm guessing if I bough tan 07, after six years, it would be worth maybe $10k? is that too high/ too low? so if you figure I spent 34k but can sell it fro 10k, then i'm only spending 24k net.

is my math right?

i guess one big question is buy vs lease and TSX 4 banger vs TL V6. the TSX is a nice little car, butnot sure I'd like it as much as the TL.

i coudl alwasy wait for the new TSX V6 and have the best of both worlds.. althoug not sure if the TSX will handle like the TL-S. the TL-S handles pretty well with the upgraded suspension.... whatever i buy i plan to keep stock and NOT mod....no springs/shocks/etc.... so the TL-S might get me the sportiest ride out of the box with no mods needed..as I don't want to do them.
Old 05-20-2009 | 11:54 PM
Pro

tsx v6

hold outhold outhold outhold out
Old 05-20-2009 | 11:58 PM
Burning Brakes

I would take the TL-S over the 09 TSX anyday..

I had the new tsx as a loaner car and it was fun to drive and all..but I didnt like the steering wheel..it was too touchy..as in the steering was not as responsive and heavy..not as sporty..
The navi was a bit nicer.The MP3 playlist loads quicker, which was basically the only thing I liked about it. I still would take my touch screen navi anyday..I hate that knob thingy..sorry

TL-S > 09 TSX
Old 05-20-2009 | 11:58 PM
Instructor

If you are into ANY performance and handling, get a TL-S. Yes the style and interior may be tempting, but when I test drove the 09 TSX and it wasn't up to my expectation to say the least.
Old 05-21-2009 | 12:03 AM
Racer

I don't think I would ever buy a new car. The initial depreciation makes it better to buy slightly used. And with the new certified preowned deals, it is definitely worth buying used. I just bought an 07 tl-s, and it looks, drives, and smells new. The first owner took about a $10,000 hit for buying new and trading it in. Food for thought

Leasing is out because I would always want the option to sell. Why lease when you can own something equivalent or better for roughly the same monthly payment (depending on your dp and credit)?

I'm all done with 4cyl cars. So the tsx is out.

This is me though.
Old 05-21-2009 | 01:58 AM
Unregistered User

Originally Posted by 218TL
tsx v6

hold outhold outhold outhold out
+1

I think the TL looks much better. I don't like the new Acura styling in general.
Old 05-21-2009 | 02:05 AM
Former Street Racer

TL-S all day you wont regret it!
Old 05-21-2009 | 03:17 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by EvoToTL
TL-S all day you wont regret it!
+1!
I have an '05 TL 6spd and have to say that, even with a 4-year old car, stepping into an '09 TSX would be a downgrade.

I had an '09 TSX as a loaner when my Brembos were being replaced at the dealer and, while I actually really like the styling, even the bucktooth grille and all, I was actually disappointed with the interior quality. The leather was so-so but the dashboard metallic plastic was just plain horrible. I thought Lexus did a bad job with the fake metallic look on the IS250/350 (with the non-wood trim) but this looks way worse. I mean the 3G TLs have actual metal (at least mine is, anyway).

And the thing that I really, really hate about the car is the really weird shape of the rearview left/right mirrors when you're inside sitting in the car. It's not straight rectangular but a weird rounded looking shape that keeps you thinking that you're having part of your mirror image "cut off" by the weird mirror cutout.

And having an el-cheapo all-lightbulb setup (not even an LED third brake light? and this is a 2009 luxury car?) didn't help matters either.

I'd be tempted to look at the TSX V6 but the fact that it's in automatic only doesn't help things much.

So I'd say save on the depreciation and stick with the used TL-S. BTW, with this economy, you could probably get a TL-S for lower than your projected ~$27K range.
Old 05-21-2009 | 03:17 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Wait till the V6 TSX comes out and you can best of both worlds. Gadgets and interior of a TSX and more performance and handling than the current TYPE S.
Old 05-21-2009 | 10:29 AM
Burning Brakes

I agree, wait until the V6 TSX comes out. It should be out in June. It has 280hp which is more than enough power. If it handles similarly to the TSX with more power, it would be fun to drive. I had an 09 TSX with tech as a loaner for one day. The 09 TSX with tech package blows away the previous gen TL/TSX interior and tech wise.

I plan on keeping my 05 TL for four to five more years (nice no more car note) but if I were in the market for a new car I'd pick the V6 TSX tech > TLS (07-08) > 09 TL. Just my $0.02.
Old 05-21-2009 | 10:37 AM
Instructor

I just got an 09 TSX loaner from the dealer and I have to say that I am not impressed with it. I can't wait to get my 08 TL-S back. The interior on the TSX seems cheap compared to the TL-S and the handling is okay but nothing spectacular.

If I were in your situation I would buy the TL-S. I don't think I will ever lease a car, you have nothing to show for it at the end on the lease. Sure you can have a new car every 3 years but thats it. You have nothing to show for it after spending $15 over 3 years.
Old 05-21-2009 | 10:46 AM
Safety Car

i have the 3g tl Ill wait to see the 5th gen or ill go german next. audi R8 or RS4............... but all in all id do the tl-s used

Last edited by Tripnbeats; 05-21-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-21-2009 | 10:56 AM
TL=True Love

to begin with the my dream car would be the front of an 09 TSX fused with the Rear of an 08 TL anyone else feeling me??? Juss cuz the 09 TSX has break lights that arent LED and stuff. ive been tempted to get the new TSX but the rims really suck, very cheap. The V6 TSX is also tempting but they realli need to throw in LEDS in the back. I'd say wait for the V6 but im pretty sure its gonna be out of ur price range and u will def. be buying brand new, so ur gonna take that 10k hit. TL-S buy it. Dun lease the TSX.
Old 05-21-2009 | 11:54 AM
Instructor

It boggles my mind when people think a bigger engine in the TSX is going to change the car. Putting in a 280 HP engine in that car as is, is a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 05-21-2009 | 12:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Cerezo
It boggles my mind when people think a bigger engine in the TSX is going to change the car. Putting in a 280 HP engine in that car as is, is a disaster waiting to happen.
Your comment boggles my mind.

Why would a little V6 in a TSX be a disaster waiting to happen?!?
Old 05-21-2009 | 12:23 PM
Instructor

Too much power for a car that is not designed to handle it. By that I mean the suspension, steering, track width etc. There is a very good reason why they don't offer MT for that car.
Old 05-21-2009 | 12:33 PM
Safety Car

dude that tsx is offered everywhere else in the world as a turbo diesel and 4 cylinder and its known as the honda accord....the diesel has more power and balls than the 6 and 4 cylinder combined and has better gas mileage than both as well. also they are making it a 6 cylinder option....with 260 or 270hp. at the end of this year....so if u think it cant handle the power.....better guess again.
Old 05-21-2009 | 12:34 PM
Vroooom!!!

Originally Posted by johnny_b
i don't think i would ever buy a new car. The initial depreciation makes it better to buy slightly used. And with the new certified preowned deals, it is definitely worth buying used.
+1
Old 05-21-2009 | 12:37 PM
Safety Car

^ +2

and im sure the reason they didnt offer stick is because they dont sell as much in america as in other countries (people are either becoming lazier or dumber). and they have it in stick my cousin just bought the honda accord *AKA ACURA TSX* first thing he said was....dude it reminds me of the way the tl engages "very not-forgiving."
Old 05-21-2009 | 12:38 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 23109VC
I can BUY a new TSX in that range w/OUT nav..or I could lease one.
why would you complain about the nav on the TL-S, if you're planning on getting the new TSX w/o nav? I would think it would be better to just have nav in general, if you're paying the same price for both vehicles.

i personally like the touch-screen feature on the TL-S nav, i rarely use that little knob.

waiting for a v6 tsx? im afraid that will never come...
remember all those rumors about an awd tsx? im still waiting.

i would get the TL-S, no hesistation.
Old 05-21-2009 | 12:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
dude that tsx is offered everywhere else in the world as a turbo diesel and 4 cylinder and its known as the honda accord....the diesel has more power and balls than the 6 and 4 cylinder combined and has better gas mileage than both as well. also they are making it a 6 cylinder option....with 260 or 270hp. at the end of this year....so if u think it cant handle the power.....better guess again.
Try test driving a current TSX in MT to its limits you'll know what I mean. On the other hand, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Old 05-21-2009 | 12:46 PM
Advanced

Tl-s!
Old 05-21-2009 | 12:53 PM
Racer

TL-S all the way
Old 05-21-2009 | 12:55 PM
Safety Car

ive driven the car beaten the car cruised in it.... its to its limits by what the engineers put in there....a 4cylinder. for what it is...the car feels very very nice...its no TL but it still feels great.....i actually like the base model in europe....it has fabric seats not pleather and comes in stick, auto is the option u pay 3k$ more for. I personally wouldnt get the tsx because its a car for my lil sister
Old 05-21-2009 | 02:26 PM
Acuras Only in

type-s FTW .... I had TSX for a loaner couple of times (the latest being a 09 model) .. ext. design not worth bashing, just the performance & luxury feel alone, type-s or even a regular TL will beat TSX IMO ....

With potential V6 coming out soon on the TSX, personally it won't lure me into buying it as my rocket days are over & there are other choices (less expensive ones) out there if you prefer pure speed ....
Old 05-21-2009 | 02:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by shooter
With potential V6 coming out soon on the TSX, personally it won't lure me into buying it as my rocket days are over & there are other choices (less expensive ones) out there if you prefer pure speed ....
That's pretty much right on. Most people who wants power and performance, and know how to manage that much HP in that car, probably wouldn't even consider it at the first place.
Old 05-21-2009 | 02:39 PM
Safety Car

^ lol ur right bro.
Old 05-21-2009 | 03:05 PM
Race Director

I'm with tripn... I'll be switching to the darkside next car I buy...M3, TT 1 series, maybe an RS4 or something along those lines.

My friends will be pissed when I jump from japanese to euro lol...
Old 05-21-2009 | 03:37 PM
Drifting

one consideration is fitting all my kids i the back. I have a 7 year old, a 3 year old, and a 18 month old. We have an MDX as our "main" family car - but it would be nice to have two cars that fit all the kids. I don't need TWO Suv's..... a midsized sedan that can occasionally fit all the kids would be fine... I had a 2009 TSX as a loaner recently, and fit ALL three kids, two car seats and one booster in the back seat.tight..but it fit and the kids were okay. we used it for a fairly long family outing and it worked fine.

i checked the specs on the rear seat hip/shoulder room, and the TSX is actually slightly LARGER than a TL-S in the backseat!! there is marginally less legroom, but width wise - it's wider.

edmunds says Front Hip room on each car is the same.
Rear hip room is 53.8 TL / 54.2 TSX.
Rear Shoulder room is 55.7 TL / 56.1 TSX
not a huge difference, but when you jam three seats in there, you do notice.

i had looked at my bro in law's 335 - thinking i would LOVE a 335, but honestly, it's smaller than the TL and fitting three car seats back there was impossible. i tried to test fit them into his car and it wasn't happening. you might be able to ram/jam them in thier - but if you wnat them fitting nicely, and not compromising the moutning, integrity, safety - forget it. the 3 series is not meant to hold three car seats.

the TSX can do it. I think th eTL-S woudl do it but it might actually be a tighter fit.

you guys think teh MT TSX is better thanthe auto?

i'm going to test drive some more TL-S and see how cheap I can find them.
Old 05-21-2009 | 05:47 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by Cerezo
Let me guess you own a TL-S?

This thread is filled with people who own the TL-S just not wanting to accept that the V6- TSX is going to out perform the TL-S. I mean who cares, at the end of the day a TSX is going to be a TSX and TL is going to be a TL. I still prefer the TL but lets be real when it comes to performance. A V6 TSX will be a better challenge for the IS350 now. 3.5 280HP in that light of a car will run laps around the current TL-S.

However I'd still buy a TL over a TSX because performance isn't everything to me.
Old 05-21-2009 | 05:50 PM
wishing for a GT-R

TL-s the design of the new tsx is in my opinion.. and the TL-s is god. =]
Old 05-21-2009 | 05:53 PM
Fear and Loathing in my

Originally Posted by 23109VC

so leasing the TSX is 15k/ 3 years. imagine I did two such leases back to back. so effectively I'm out $30k for six years. at the end of 6 years i've leased two new cars, but have nothign tos how for it.
That's why i wouldn't lease a car, you have nothing to show for all the money you spent. yea you have had two new cars to drive, but they're not yours. I'm a big fan of buying over leasing...just my
Old 05-21-2009 | 06:07 PM
ADVANCE.

I say go for the TL-S... The first batch of TSX V6's are probably going to have some problems since its the first ones to come out, but again maybe not. Then when they are proven to be solid cars on the next batches then go for the TSX V6 if you want. I can guarantee you will LOVE the TL-S....

PEACE!
Old 05-21-2009 | 06:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

TL-S man- easy
Old 05-21-2009 | 06:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S

This thread is filled with people who own the TL-S just not wanting to accept that the V6- TSX is going to out perform the TL-S. I mean who cares, at the end of the day a TSX is going to be a TSX and TL is going to be a TL. I still prefer the TL but lets be real when it comes to performance. A V6 TSX will be a better challenge for the IS350 now. 3.5 280HP in that light of a car will run laps around the current TL-S.

However I'd still buy a TL over a TSX because performance isn't everything to me.
you have any evidence to back up that statement boss? track times, 1/4?
Old 05-21-2009 | 06:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Agreed....basically the same HP in a lighter/nimbler package will surely outperform the 3G TL-S. Should be interesting...
Old 05-21-2009 | 06:44 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by jeowen
you have any evidence to back up that statement boss? track times, 1/4?
No evidence yet.. but a logical assumption and a no brainer. Lighter car with same engine.. just think about it. But we'll find out very shortly anyways.

And I was being a bit exaggerative when I said run laps.. but regardless a TYPE S will get beat every time as far as performance with this new TSX. Acura is trying to get us TL performance guys to go with the new TSX so I wouldn't be surprised if down the line they started to introduce a TYPE S TSX.

The only stigma that the TSX has is the badge and the fact that we TL guys think we're better than a TSX because of it all this time being a 4 banger and cheaper. This is soon going to change .. lets start accepting it.

Last edited by Elegant TYPE S; 05-21-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-21-2009 | 06:46 PM
Suzuka Master

go for the TL-S
Old 05-21-2009 | 08:36 PM
Instructor

No, i suspect that i'll see a lot more "I rolled over my TSX" threads. The stock TSX in its current form is not a performance car whatsoever. You can't just put in a bigger engine and make it one. Keep in mind that straight line speed is only a smart part of the performance.
Old 05-21-2009 | 08:43 PM
Senior Moderator

There not just putting in the 3.5 and calling it a day. Acura is putting a 'new sports suspension', bigger wheels/tires and upgraded brakes. I'll reserve judgment on whether it is a pig until after I drive one...

Quick Reply: Buy Used TL-S or Lease new TSX????