Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buy back offer on my TL-HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 06:42 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buy back offer on my TL-HELP

Well after 12 times in the shop for engine dieing at low speeds and replacing $8000 in parts under warranty Acura has advised me they will likely offer a buy back at the first of the week. It is a 2004 TL Navi with only 22,000 miles. The latest period in the shop has been three weeks and the factory has no idea how to fix it. They are tired of fooling with it. I bought it with 6000 miles so it was not new. I did have a side impact on passenger side at 7000 miles but no problems till 18 months later at 20K miles-of course they are saying it is likely a wiring problem resultant from wreck-(yeah right). They have told me I would have to pay some for usage-what do you guys think is fair. The new comparable TL is $37K--what should I agree to pay? I attempted a straight trade a few weeks ago with no factory involvement and the cost would have been $15K. I just replaced tires at a cost of $1000-ugh. They will destroy my car--very sad

Need your advice please
Old 01-06-2008, 06:59 AM
Pro

More than likely they will give you Retail blue book... that is the best you can hope for...

As for the tires... talk to them and see if you can take them... OR, go to your friendly tire store and 'buy' some used ones that are still a bit good and replace... keep the new ones for when you replace on your 'new' TL
Old 01-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
I think you are in a tough position. I doubt they will give you absolute top dollar for your car. I can't believe they can't fix it. Is this problem intermittent or does it do it all the time? As an aircraft mechanic I can tell you that if it's always there, they should be able to find it 100% of the time. Sometimes it takes a while, but they have to be able to figure it out. If they can't duplicate the problem and just threw parts at it, that's their problem. I think the buy back will get rid of your problem, but it will hit you in the wallet. I would treat it as a total loss insurance claim. I would negotiate that they pay all the taxes and fees on your replacement car up to the payout amount on the old one. It should not cost you money to get back into a comparable car (TL or non TL). I would ask that they supply you a loaner for a set amount of time until you find a suitable replacement vehicle. You don't want to buy the first car that you find that fits the bill. You didn't do anything to put yourself in this position, Acura should take care of you since they built this car. The only thing I have a little reservation about is the crash damage. Since the car isn't in the same state it was when it left the factory, I would feel lucky if Acura bought it back. Finally, good luck!!
Old 01-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by Musiccity
The new comparable TL is $37K--what should I agree to pay? I attempted a straight trade a few weeks ago with no factory involvement and the cost would have been $15K.
You mean they offered you $22K for your 04? That's a pretty good deal, the KBB trade-in value for this car in Excellent shape (which your car is not, especially after a side impact) is $20900. It sounds like they're trying to help you out. I'd keep working with them.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
If they are dumb enough to off a buyback on a '04, jump at the offer, as long as it's within reason.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:26 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your car was in an accident and they're buying it back? Consider yourself lucky and proceed with caution! Good luck on that, as I am sure they will use that accident to greatly minimize whatever you are due!
Old 01-06-2008, 12:45 PM
TL SL ML :)

Originally Posted by darksom1
Your car was in an accident and they're buying it back? Consider yourself lucky and proceed with caution! Good luck on that, as I am sure they will use that accident to greatly minimize whatever you are due!
+1
Old 01-06-2008, 01:29 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

If they already incurred $8K in parts, replacing it under warranty may be their best bet as no manufacture would typically "buy back" a used car since ONLY new cars qualify for the lemon law. My suggestion is to take whatever they will give you. If the $22K they quoted you was partial due to the new tires (i.e. they may have alloted you an additional $1K in that $22K figure to account for the tire) then you may not be able to get them back. You say a new TL is $37K but isn't that RETAIL? Nobody pays retail for a car and $37K sounds more like a TL-S price than a TL (even with A-Spec). If it were me, I'd offer them $15K plus your car for a TLS and see how it goes. As far as $1K for tires? How in the WORLD do you do that? Even the higher priced ones are only around $150/tire. If this was for wheels too, then the wheels probably aren't terribly expensive anyway. One of thing to consider is the warranty expiration. Most 2004's are expiring on the months duration (mine did just last month) so you may be limited on time there as well.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ndabunka
If they already incurred $8K in parts, replacing it under warranty may be their best bet as no manufacture would typically "buy back" a used car since ONLY new cars qualify for the lemon law. My suggestion is to take whatever they will give you. If the $22K they quoted you was partial due to the new tires (i.e. they may have alloted you an additional $1K in that $22K figure to account for the tire) then you may not be able to get them back. You say a new TL is $37K but isn't that RETAIL? Nobody pays retail for a car and $37K sounds more like a TL-S price than a TL (even with A-Spec). If it were me, I'd offer them $15K plus your car for a TLS and see how it goes. As far as $1K for tires? How in the WORLD do you do that? Even the higher priced ones are only around $150/tire. If this was for wheels too, then the wheels probably aren't terribly expensive anyway. One of thing to consider is the warranty expiration. Most 2004's are expiring on the months duration (mine did just last month) so you may be limited on time there as well.
This is may be a little off topic, just wanted to comment on the tire purchase.
I've been researching, and Bridgestone Potenza for our Tl-s cost about - $186 (Tire Rack) - 210. So, with tax, tire balance, alignment, I can understand he spent $1000 for it. I will be changing my tires within a fe months. Please lemme know if I am wrong.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

keep the tires if they don't offer anything for them. .....get KBB value/NADA and be ridden of it ! ...just don't let them talk you too down too much for the past door damage...good luck!
Old 01-06-2008, 07:05 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
FWIW, friend bought 08 TL-Navi last week for $32,250. Don't pay MSRP.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:18 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for all the advice-the one thing I did not mention is that I have an Acura extened warranty to 75K miles or four more years-so if they cannot fix this they have to continue to deal with the issue. The issue comes and goes and at on one ocasion receently all the dash light came on and could not go above 20 miles per hour. Acura is convinced it is a wiring problem and does not want to pull the dash when they do not know if that is the problem. I am not taking a "bath" on this-I will continue to drive their loaner and let them deal with it!
Old 01-07-2008, 08:20 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Musiccity
Thanks for all the advice-the one thing I did not mention is that I have an Acura extened warranty to 75K miles or four more years-so if they cannot fix this they have to continue to deal with the issue. The issue comes and goes and at on one ocasion receently all the dash light came on and could not go above 20 miles per hour. Acura is convinced it is a wiring problem and does not want to pull the dash when they do not know if that is the problem. I am not taking a "bath" on this-I will continue to drive their loaner and let them deal with it!
Is your loaner a TL? If it's aTSX, bummer...to pay for a TL and drive a TSX is not equal or free to me.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Cruisin'

No it is a MDX and it is killing me on gas-14.5 miles per gallon-what a tanker!