3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a better 3G TL exhaust? - Challenging the status quo...better than RV6/etc.?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 05:46 PM
1 of 1

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Marsalis Simms
I've yet to hear ANY aftermarket 3G exhaust in person, as I know no one that has a TL-S with exhaust work done lol
Consider it a blessing, as you've been spared.

Originally Posted by Euro-R_Spec_TSX
No pricing has been discussed, so I don't think that's what the Dr meant. He was quite ecstatic, so I'm guessing he would be willing to give up an organ to get an exhaust system.
Bingo

Originally Posted by zeta
^

Seriously?
The Dr. is willing to give up a left orchi?
RIP LEFTY #3.

The exhaust is worth it.

Originally Posted by Acura TL Builder
Orchidectomy coming up. Zeta let’s scrub in!

Dont worry Dr.Honda, We’ll make a small incision at the back of your scrotum. You won’t even know it was done.
Listen, you'll be joining me, along with others, as the only thing you'll be concerned with is preserving your ability to hear the MAGICAL 304 SS pipes sing.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
Let’s see action and a price tag.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,467 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Honda
RIP LEFTY #3.

Don't fret Dr. Honda you can still attract the swinging foxes!
With today's medical technology surgeons can insert prosthetics which will give you the 'bull nut sack of a slav' that would rival Yortuk & Georg Festrunk.

Last edited by zeta; 04-26-2021 at 07:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by zeta:
Acura TL Builder (04-26-2021), Dr. Honda (04-28-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 07:39 PM
Safety Car

If you get a penile implant, there’s a brand that routes the pump up ball in your sack. That way it’ll feel like you have two again!
The following users liked this post:
Dr. Honda (04-28-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 09:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 163 Posts
Aaaaaanyways.... I'm glad to see someone was able to make the trip! When the time comes, I'd be happy to head East as well. Michiganders have to stick together.
The following 2 users liked this post by wusty23jd:
Dr. Honda (04-28-2021), Euro-R_Spec_TSX (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 10:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
soooooo talking has been fun but what's the next step here?
The following 2 users liked this post by sockr1:
Acura TL Builder (04-27-2021), nist7 (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 12:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
Originally Posted by sockr1

awaiting on your engineering input on the design.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by truonghthe
awaiting on your engineering input on the design.
doesnt' matter what engineering does, the inspector will be the "gate keeper"
Euro-R_Spec_TSX (04-30-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 03:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
doesnt' matter what engineering does, the inspector will be the "gate keeper"
back to the drawing board it is.
Acura TL Builder (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 03:38 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
There's one big glaring aspect that all of you are overlooking!!

To be able to sell commercially on acurazine, one needs to become a vendor.

This is probably the main reason why you can hear crickets in this thread.
Euro-R_Spec_TSX (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 06:38 PM
Safety Car

You can become a “mini-vendor” for quite cheap.
Euro-R_Spec_TSX (04-29-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 06:40 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by justnspace
There's one big glaring aspect that all of you are overlooking!!

To be able to sell commercially on acurazine, one needs to become a vendor.

This is probably the main reason why you can hear crickets in this thread.
No, you hear crickets because the people hyping it up don’t have the wherewithal to pull off big projects.

Like I said earlier, they would rather relax at days end instead of produce a product and make money.

This whole thread is a circular jerk. Nothing will happen.
sockr1 (04-27-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 04:26 PM
1 of 1

Originally Posted by wusty23jd
Aaaaaanyways.... I'm glad to see someone was able to make the trip! When the time comes, I'd be happy to head East as well. Michiganders have to stick together.
Do it.

Let’s see action and a price tag.

1) Good things are worth waiting for
2) You get what you pay for

I'm sure Euro will update when he has something he thinks is worth sharing. If he's not going to go through with it, he'll say so.

No, you hear crickets because the people hyping it up don’t have the wherewithal to pull off big projects.

Like I said earlier, they would rather relax at days end instead of produce a product and make money.

This whole thread is a circular jerk. Nothing will happen.
Big words you'll likely be eating later on.

Spoiler

Old 04-28-2021, 05:41 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
I mean if one really wanted to one can take the plans/blue print from this page and head to an exhaust shop and have a conversation with them about one's goals.
perhaps, the exhaust builders can replicate the design without going over budget
Acura TL Builder (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 06:30 PM
Safety Car

Do it.

1) Good things are worth waiting for
2) You get what you pay for

I'm sure Euro will update when he has something he thinks is worth sharing. If he's not going to go through with it, he'll say so.

Big words you'll likely be eating later on.

Spoiler

I hope I will, but I usually don’t.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:33 PM
Safety Car

I mean if one really wanted to one can take the plans/blue print from this page and head to an exhaust shop and have a conversation with them about one's goals.
perhaps, the exhaust builders can replicate the design without going over budget
Doesn’t the increased flow of air change depending on the HP level of an engine? So if he’s building an exhaust that sounds cherry on a 300hp engine, it may sound mediocre on a 600hp engine. Is this the way it works, or does the cherry sound just sound more fine?
Old 04-28-2021, 08:13 PM
Suzuka Master

I mean if one really wanted to one can take the plans/blue print from this page and head to an exhaust shop and have a conversation with them about one's goals.perhaps, the exhaust builders can replicate the design without going over budget
Perhaps; however, it's important to not overlook the 'secret sauce', from what I can see mentioned in Exhaust System Design 102, and that is the highlighted portion on Euro-R_Spec_TSX's lesson below:

Originally Posted by Euro-R_Spec_TSX
...the mufflers are a proprietary design employing a Helmholtz resonator. There is a bit more to the design which I won't divulge, but it results in substantial attenuation of system resonance (and most the low frequency content) and also a small bump in higher frequencies that gives it a noticeable exotic sports car like howl. At idle and light throttle, it's very mild, but when you open it up, it's ferocious.
He divulges the resonator is a typical design, basic SS304 tube diameters & muffler dimensions; however, I'm willing to bet my 'left nut' that he spent a lot of 'trial & error' time in finding THE muffler(s), he is utilizing, employing the Helmholtz resonator that gives the 'attenuation' heard on the videos, thus justifying the label 'proprietary'.

Finally, would an experienced exhaust shop 'crew' be able to replicate that sound combing through exhaust catalogs indicating mufflers, of that dimension, that advertises 'Helmholtz resonator' design inside? (if said catalogs even exist? )

Maybe.

However, getting it right the 'first time' would be a probability challenge that you would end up paying handsomely for via trail & error. Something most won't do.
:

Last edited by zeta; 04-28-2021 at 08:19 PM.
Acura TL Builder (04-28-2021), Euro-R_Spec_TSX (04-29-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 08:42 PM
Safety Car

Yes Zeta, Exactly!!

So the question becomes, Does the "legendary forum user" Euro R have what it takes to follow through with this?

Why would this be difficult?

Remove your 'custom' cat-back from your J37 TSX, give it to a passionate Exhaust shop/builder and request X amount to be built to TL specifications.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 04-28-2021 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:47 PM
1 of 1

I honestly can say, in your best interest, don't attempt it. You won't get close to the same result and you will waste a ton of time and money.

Originally Posted by zeta
Perhaps; however, it's important to not overlook the 'secret sauce', from what I can see mentioned in Exhaust System Design 102, and that is the highlighted portion on Euro-R_Spec_TSX's lesson below:

He divulges the resonator is a typical design, basic SS304 tube diameters & muffler dimensions; however, I'm willing to bet my 'left nut' that he spent a lot of 'trial & error' time in finding THE muffler(s), he is utilizing, employing the Helmholtz resonator that gives the 'attenuation' heard on the videos, thus justifying the label 'proprietary'.

Finally, would an experienced exhaust shop 'crew' be able to replicate that sound combing through exhaust catalogs indicating mufflers, of that dimension, that advertises 'Helmholtz resonator' design inside? (if said catalogs even exist? )

Maybe.

However, getting it right the 'first time' would be a probability challenge that you would end up paying handsomely for via trail & error. Something most won't do.
:
The exhaust is his own custom design he spent YEARS on. It's not just a bunch of catalog exhaust components he welded together. It truly is a custom built, proprietary design. You literately are unable buy the parts from a catalog and have some shop weld it together.

Yes Zeta, Exactly!!

So the question becomes, Does the "legendary forum user" Euro R have what it takes to follow through with this?
It's not a matter of - if he has what it takes. It's a matter of - whether he WANTS to invest in making an exhaust for this community. If people are going to rush him or expect a premium product for next to nothing, then probably not. Whenever someone intelligent makes an investment, they need to feel it's going to be worthwhile.

Why would this be difficult?

Remove your 'custom' cat-back from your J37 TSX, give it to a passionate Exhaust shop/builder and request X amount to be built to TL specifications.
Much more complicated.

If I were to take a GUESS (I don't know exactly how he'll handle it), it would go something along the lines of:

The TSX exhaust would be somewhat redesigned/engineered for a TL. Then a prototype would have to be made and tested to confirm it is up to his standards. Then manufacturing and other logistics.

This is a product about QUALITY, NOT quantity. This community is used to products that are quickly thrown together and shipped with no real development work behind them. This applies to basically everything aftermarket for these cars, especially exhaust systems.

Doesn’t the increased flow of air change depending on the HP level of an engine? So if he’s building an exhaust that sounds cherry on a 300hp engine, it may sound mediocre on a 600hp engine. Is this the way it works, or does the cherry sound just sound more fine?
There's probably some nuances to that which Euro could probably give some insight on BUT the bigger question would be, how do you go from 300HP to 600HP? If you remove the "pre-cats" and install a turbocharger on the car, obviously that's going to have a major impact on how the car sounds. But if you could make an extra 300HP in another manner (I.E. nitrous), it would probably still sound roughly the same. (Yes I know an extra 300HP from nitrous isn't exactly realistic but we're talking conceptually).
Old 04-28-2021, 11:00 PM
Safety Car

The ATLP sounds quite good. Ive used it for a few years now and really enjoy its balance.

I look forward to the progress of this exhaust design, but it sounds like it will be quite some time before we will have one in our hands. Until then, ATLP is the best thing for great balanced sound.

I will be buying Marcus of HeelToeAutomotives' new 3" ATLP for the Turbo build. Looking forward to an eventual comparison between this exhaust and that one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Acura TL Builder:
Dr. Honda (05-04-2021), Euro-R_Spec_TSX (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 06:44 AM
Suzuka Master

The exhaust is his own custom design he spent YEARS on. It's not just a bunch of catalog exhaust components he welded together. It truly is a custom built, proprietary design. You literately are unable buy the parts from a catalog and have some shop weld it together.
Yes, Herr Dr.-Ing.
Precisely my understanding from lessons Exhaust System Design 101 & 102.
Dr. Honda (05-04-2021), Euro-R_Spec_TSX (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 08:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Alright, for those who are interested, let's get some responses on what you guys prefer in the following:

What inlet size from the j-pipe?

Preference for tips (Type-S or Base) ?
Old 04-30-2021, 09:02 AM
UA7_Unknown

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Consider it a blessing, as you've been spared.

I'd assume so with most of the setups i've encountered on YT. Seems very easy to make it sound raspy/rice.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:42 AM
Safety Car

I here guys with 4 bangers love that sound.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:37 AM
UA7_Unknown

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
I here guys with 4 bangers love that sound.
Yep, and I hear it daily. Hence why I'm trying to figure out the best setup. Area I'm in does not have a great enthusiast community lol
Old 05-04-2021, 11:37 AM
1 of 1

Originally Posted by nist7
Preference for tips (Type-S or Base) ?
Everyone with a Type-S will want quads. And there are a good amount of people who will also convert to quads or who have already converted to quads.

I'm guessing there will be little to no demand for duals.

Originally Posted by Marsalis Simms
I'd assume so with most of the setups i've encountered on YT. Seems very easy to make it sound raspy/rice.
Very easy.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 163 Posts
Under the presumption that the selected quad tips would be too large for base A-Spec lips, then I would be one of the individuals in need of duals. Or maybe a smaller set of quads could be chosen as an alternative that would fit the smaller openings?

In the meantime, my search continues for a rear Type-S A-spec lip...
Old 05-04-2021, 01:59 PM
1 of 1

Originally Posted by wusty23jd
Under the presumption that the selected quad tips would be too large for base A-Spec lips, then I would be one of the individuals in need of duals. Or maybe a smaller set of quads could be chosen as an alternative that would fit the smaller openings?

In the meantime, my search continues for a rear Type-S A-spec lip...
See! Everyone wants quads, lol. Good luck on your search.
Old 05-24-2021, 10:04 PM
Safety Car

Any update on the best sounding exhaust Brock? Or even another WOT video?
Old 05-25-2021, 01:55 PM
Brock

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts
I'm working on it, but there are a number of interruptions coming up that will slow things down.
I'll try to make another video after I upgrade my compliance bushings to Hardrace spherical bearings.
The following 3 users liked this post by Euro-R_Spec_TSX:
Acura TL Builder (05-25-2021), Dr. Honda (05-26-2021), montero65 (06-28-2021)