Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brother got 5 tickets on the Staten Island Expressway

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brother got 5 tickets on the Staten Island Expressway

My brother had his license a few months before his 17th bday but couldnt go on the highway till he turns 18. He turned 18 just 2 weeks ago so he was very eager to go on the highway. He's got his own car but he decided to take my TL out last night. Coming home from New Jersey around 3am, he got pulled over. The officer gave him 5 tickets. one for speeding going around 90, one for tailgating, two tickets for tints (one for windsheild and the other for the doors), and the 5th ticket was for blocking traffic.

The speeding ticket is reasonable but tailgating at 3am its like impossible on that highway, there was no cars at all so no reason why he would tailgate on the fast lane. So yea my bro was on the fast lane and him being the inexperience driver pulled to the left when he got pulled over (last lane is a bus lane, but no bus at night). The officer made him cross 4 lanes to go back to the right side then gave him a ticket for blocking traffic. Two tickets for tints?, WTF. My tints are 35% and he told my bro the tints exceeded 27%. The car is black/black so it would look darker at night, I'm not sure if the cop verify the tints because I wasn't there.

Yes I know my bro deserves these tickets but like 2 or 3 of them were not needed. I guess the cop wanted to be a jerkoff an give him 4 more bullshit tickets to teach him a lesson. Do you guys think I can fight any of these tickets?

Thank You
Old 04-20-2007, 11:41 AM
DuDeChEwY

lol gotta love cops....the tints tickets are a total bs....i just got my front windshield tint lastnite....its a bitch to look inside....i dont think u can fight the tint tickets at all
Old 04-20-2007, 11:45 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Good luck with that.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Intermediate

not really im in nyc queens to be exact, just take your lost and pay the tickets because fighting them there is a real thin line btwn that i've seen good dudes get locked up for tints because what they really dont tell you is you have a certian deadline i think 10 days not sure exactly but check because i had 2 friends that have been locked up for them bull ass tickects because they will suspend your (well in thiss case your brothers) license without even telling you . just another way to get people in the system i feel.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
If you have proof the tint is LEGAL you can get that dropped in court
Everything else is on the driver
Old 04-20-2007, 12:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan^_^
5th ticket was for blocking traffic.
Oh I can't stand that sh#t..... I wish the Cop gave him a big ticket on that. I don't care about the rest. Blocking traffic means you are careless and you think are the only one special on the road. What the hell do you think you are..... huh? Please teach them manners.... I can't stand that kind of attitude...

Rule Number One: No blocking traffic. If I was the officer I go kick his azz.....
Old 04-20-2007, 12:15 PM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dudechewy
lol gotta love cops....the tints tickets are a total bs....i just got my front windshield tint lastnite....its a bitch to look inside....i dont think u can fight the tint tickets at all
you're going nowhere with the tint tickets, others, you can try, but state troopers are a PITA in NJ...good luck, you're brother is screwed

should not have been going that fast and............
Old 04-20-2007, 12:15 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by meowCat
Oh I can't stand that sh#t..... I wish the Cop gave him a big ticket on that. I don't care about the rest. Blocking traffic means you are careless and you think are the only one special on the road. What the hell do you think you are..... huh? Please teach them manners.... I can't stand that kind of attitude...

Rule Number One: No blocking traffic. If I was the officer I go kick his azz.....

Did you read the entire post? Doesn't seem like he was blocking anything.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:18 PM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

"So yea my bro was on the fast lane and him being the inexperience driver pulled to the left when he got pulled over (last lane is a bus lane, but no bus at night)"

I think that's enough reason to get the ticket - yes, he's young, the cop wanted to teach him a lesson I'm sure...

doesn't matter bus or not, still a reason for a ticket...was your brother an assh*le to the cop? did he give him an attitude like every other 17 yr old on the road going 90mph?
Old 04-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Hey man, check out this thread! While your brother was being an idiot doin 90, a coupe of the other tickets might not be as deserved. This might come in handy:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...90#post1716290

tell his ass to slow down.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:22 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Geez..What was your brother doing with your car at that time of night in the first place. I don't think you can fight any of them since you were not the driver. Try and break down the 90 to atleast 75 and fight the rest
Old 04-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
if the police officer didn't use the tint measuring device on the tints... then there is no proof that the tints were illegal... plus when you go fight the tint tickets and he did use the device... you have to ask when was the device last calibrated???? Plus the ticket for the windshield is BS because they can't use the device to measure the amount of tint applied because the device has to be attached to the window be sliding it over the glass... Tint tickets are a HUGE CASH COW for the city of NYC... because often people just PAY to avoid the huge lines and wasted working days at the DMV...

The other tickets... well... good luck...
Old 04-20-2007, 12:40 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
17 years old, 90 MPH and blocking traffic? WTF was he doing driving your TL anyway?

And people wonder why insurance rates for drivers under age 25 is so high.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:24 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by DMZ
17 years old, 90 MPH and blocking traffic? WTF was he doing driving your TL anyway?

And people wonder why insurance rates for drivers under age 25 is so high.

Do people really wonder though? I sure as hell don't.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you guys think I can fight any of these tickets?

Thank You
How? You weren't the driver...

The only tickets you have a shot of beating are the tints because it's your car. I'm presuming your state gives you a tint ticket demanding the tint be removed by said date. Other posters have given you good advice relative to the tint measuring device, if utilized and being properly calibrated.

Tell your friend to slow down as his speed nudged the snowball downhill....
Old 04-20-2007, 01:41 PM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
tell your bro good luck on paying those tickets. suck to be you cause u have to deal with those tickets even though ur not the one driving lol
Old 04-20-2007, 01:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hopefully next time they suspend your brothers license
Old 04-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by meowCat

Kicking someone's ass? That's exactly the type of cop we don't need on the job.

As far as speeding- sure give em the ticket. The tint- if the op has got proof, give that to the brother and try and fight it.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:06 PM
acura-cl.com OG

your bro must have had a bad attitude and may have been acting stupid. cops normally don't hit cooperative people with that amount of fines.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:39 PM
kl-de

true^ either that or your arabian
Old 04-20-2007, 02:44 PM
Cruisin'

You’re going to pay for something. You may beat the tint rap. However, the speeding is going to be a tuff one. Find out if he tested the tints with a gage.
Cops have nothing better to do then to meet there quotas on slow days.
In my opinion the cop is jackass for handing out so many tickets.
Your brother is Kid. All of us at one point in our lives have done some spirited driving. Was the cop trying to teach the young punk a lesson? I don’t think so… he is in my opinion just a kid.
The officer could have just given him A ticked with a few warnings and maybe go a little further and called you on a cell phone and tell you what he saw your brother doing with your car.

Can’t say I blame your brother for speeding. However, it is a TL how could you not at 18 years old see what that baby can do on the open road!!

Good luck
Old 04-20-2007, 03:01 PM
One on the right for me

Do NY/NJ cops have a quota, or do people just use that as a rationalization for stupid behavior?
Old 04-20-2007, 03:19 PM
Cruisin'

A report did came out in The New York Time in the late 90s on a few scandals in the NYPD administration. Where they faxed reports on officers not meeting the then set quotas. This was a fact then! As for now? Heck you never know. Not all cops are creeps just the one that over do there jobs like handing out at the very least 800.00 dollars in tickets not to mention the kids driving privileges suspended.

Hey bro get a Lawyer for this one.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Originally Posted by subinf
Do NY/NJ cops have a quota, or do people just use that as a rationalization for stupid behavior?

from what i know cops dont have a quota, per se. they do have a requirement to issue tickets, however, they want to maintain some regularity because if their sergeant takes a look at the reports, and a cop didnt issue any speeding tickets, they know that the cop isnt doing their job.

at least that's what i know about that "quota" situation.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by fant0m_TL
from what i know cops dont have a quota, per se. they do have a requirement to issue tickets, however, they want to maintain some regularity because if their sergeant takes a look at the reports, and a cop didnt issue any speeding tickets, they know that the cop isnt doing their job.

at least that's what i know about that "quota" situation.
point well made!!
Old 04-20-2007, 05:57 PM
2006 TL

my brother is an NYPD Officer. YES, they have quotas.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Burning Brakes

chiming in on your tints issue....the legal liimit in nyc is 70% - which means 70% transmission of light. The cop was right about the 29% because 70% is approx 29% blocked light. Since your tints are 35%, that means 65% of the light is blocked, exceeding the legal limit.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:19 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by JoeyASPEC
my brother is an NYPD Officer. YES, they have quotas.

Damn, that sucks for the NYC people
Old 04-20-2007, 06:23 PM
Cruisin'

Ok, my bro told me he was going like 80-85. doesnt matter he was speeding ina 50 zone so he deserved the ticket. He told me the car infront of him was going like 100 because they were trying to get past this truck that was blocking his vision on the highway. The car infront of him suddenly brakes, guessing he saw the cop car so my bro had to brake mad hard too. MY brother was the unlucky one that got pulled over. Im not defending my brother cuz his license will get suspended for sure after this. The tinting part is what i dont understand, my tints are 35%. isnt that legal? I was told the cops did use a meter to test the tints and said it was 24%. gave 2 tickets, 1 for the doors and 1 for the rear windshield. I thought the rear windshield had no limit.

I believe the cop wanted to be an asshole and teach him a good lesson, but other tickets were unreasonable.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:42 PM
One on the right for me

I missed the two tickets for tint, thought it was only one. Thats stupid that they will separate out the fines like that - doesn't make much sense.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
try ticketassassin.com
Old 04-20-2007, 09:00 PM
EBAYGEEK

My brother had his license a few months before his 17th bday but couldnt go on the highway till he turns 18. He turned 18 just 2 weeks ago so he was very eager to go on the highway. He's got his own car but he decided to take my TL out last night. Coming home from New Jersey around 3am, he got pulled over. The officer gave him 5 tickets. one for speeding going around 90, one for tailgating, two tickets for tints (one for windsheild and the other for the doors), and the 5th ticket was for blocking traffic.

The speeding ticket is reasonable but tailgating at 3am its like impossible on that highway, there was no cars at all so no reason why he would tailgate on the fast lane. So yea my bro was on the fast lane and him being the inexperience driver pulled to the left when he got pulled over (last lane is a bus lane, but no bus at night). The officer made him cross 4 lanes to go back to the right side then gave him a ticket for blocking traffic. Two tickets for tints?, WTF. My tints are 35% and he told my bro the tints exceeded 27%. The car is black/black so it would look darker at night, I'm not sure if the cop verify the tints because I wasn't there.

Yes I know my bro deserves these tickets but like 2 or 3 of them were not needed. I guess the cop wanted to be a jerkoff an give him 4 more bullshit tickets to teach him a lesson. Do you guys think I can fight any of these tickets?

Thank You

OMG I'm Sorry for him, He will get suspened BUT

my great lawyer will help

James Berch SI Traffic Lawyer
1189 Forest Ave
718-448-6767

As for the tints bring them to any shop remove them, get a recipt for removal and you are cleared of those.

He has to get the lawyer befroe sending in the tickets, the Lawyer will ask to plead guilty, which you should and then ask for reduced fine, YOU BEST CHANCE of DRIVING in the near future.

Good Luck
PM me for more assistance around the 5 boroughs
Old 04-20-2007, 09:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

The tinting part is what i dont understand, my tints are 35%. isnt that legal? I was told the cops did use a meter to test the tints and said it was 24%. gave 2 tickets, 1 for the doors and 1 for the rear windshield. I thought the rear windshield had no limit.

I believe the cop wanted to be an asshole and teach him a good lesson, but other tickets were unreasonable.
In NJ (not sure about NY), the rear windows and rear windshield can be as dark as you want. Everything else can't be tinted.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:22 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your bro need his some beating from you or your parents from doing these stupid actions.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TL1999
Your bro need his some beating from you or your parents from doing these stupid actions.
his brother is guilty of nothing till he shows up in court!
Old 04-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Ev an' Tec

I missed the two tickets for tint, thought it was only one. Thats stupid that they will separate out the fines like that - doesn't make much sense.
Given that it's a 4-door car, it's lucky that each door wasn't counted separately! (That's a reason to get a coupe!)

I knew someone who was ticketed because the kids in her carpool minivan weren't seat-belted in. 4 kids - 4 tickets, 3 pts each. 12 pts. I don't remember if she lost her license in 1 shot or just came within a hairs-breadth. Definitely in the Defensive Driving class to drop 3 points off it. Also Staten Island.

The amazing thing is, someone has a 17-year-old brother who just learned to drive and he gives him the keys to the TL at night with tints, tho the kid is so inexperienced he's not sure how to pull over. There are probably a number of guys who won't let anyone else drive their car -- valets, spouses, in-laws. On the other hand, it is only a pair of wheels and siblings are for life.

Then again, maybe this is a case of reverse psychology. Let the younger brother drive, get a few tix and he'll never touch the car again. Kinda like letting someone eat too much candy and getting a stomach-ache and never touching the stuff again.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:40 PM
One on the right for me

The seatbelt thing makes sense - I've just never heard of that with window tints.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:48 PM
Ev an' Tec

The seatbelt thing makes sense - I've just never heard of that with window tints.
Agreed. Each kid getting hurt is a separate injury. I don't think each side window tinted increases the risk. A tinted windshield is considered a step beyond regular tinting.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Syer
his brother is guilty of nothing till he shows up in court!
The brother is guilty of reckless stupidity, the brother who loaned him the car is even dumber.....
Old 04-21-2007, 01:26 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by chfields
The brother is guilty of reckless stupidity, the brother who loaned him the car is even dumber.....

The brother is guilty of reckless stupidity AND immaturity.

Quick Reply: Brother got 5 tickets on the Staten Island Expressway