Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Brake Suggestions

My OEM brakes are warped and spit out way too much dust, I'm looking for an aftermarket set my budget is $180. This is the set I'm currently looking at but the only thing i don't like about them is that they are drilled, i wish they made a set of these or StopTech that are only slotted with the same ceramic pads but can't find that anywhere. BTW reviews are amazing on these PowerStops plus price is very good which is why they caught my attention.

Amazon.com: Power Stop K2292 Front Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Power Stop K2292 Front Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit: Automotive
Old 11-08-2013, 01:25 PM
TLX-S

Received 225 Likes on 172 Posts
For your budget, Brakemotive is the way to go, it includes rotors and pads for both front and rear

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/brakemotive-drilled-slotted-brake-kits-lowest-prices-ever-809114/

I have the set installed on my TL for almost 2 years now with no issues
Old 11-08-2013, 01:39 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
uhhh dude, powerslot slotted rotors is a sister company to stoptech and has slotted rotors...

check out XLR8:
http://store.excelerateperformance.com/

he has lots of different kind of rotors and pads to choose from.
read the description and decide if its for you

also, like the poster above me stated; you cant go wrong with brakemotive. for $250 for all 4 corners is a steal!

however; I personally dont like drilled rotors as over time, they will crack due to the close proximity of the holes.

P.S. Gils, you've been a member here for a while and should know that there are several threads on the same subject...matter of fact there are like 3 or 4 "brake rotor" threads below yours.

Last edited by justnspace; 11-08-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
"Power stop" not "Power slot"...

IMO, budget more for something so important and get something known to be good.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:43 PM

^i understood the difference...

i was just giving an option for powerslot
Old 11-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Austin's about to come in here and tell you to stay far far away from Brake Motive. And I have to say, from my time here, I'd probably agree.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by justnspace
uhhh dude, powerslot slotted rotors is a sister company to stoptech and has slotted rotors...

check out XLR8:
http://store.excelerateperformance.com/

he has lots of different kind of rotors and pads to choose from.
read the description and decide if its for you

also, like the poster above me stated; you cant go wrong with brakemotive. for $250 for all 4 corners is a steal!

however; I personally dont like drilled rotors as over time, they will crack due to the close proximity of the holes.

P.S. Gils, you've been a member here for a while and should know that there are several threads on the same subject...matter of fact there are like 3 or 4 "brake rotor" threads below yours.
i checked xlr8 already and the stop tech pads and rotors set is over my budget, the rotors cost $85 each and the pads cost $63 so that would put me at about $240 after shipping. The Powerstop "sister" company is costing me $100 less for the set.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Gil'sUA5
i checked xlr8 already and the stop tech pads and rotors set is over my budget, the rotors cost $85 each and the pads cost $63 so that would put me at about $240 after shipping. The Powerstop "sister" company is costing me $100 less for the set.
so, what am I missing here?
you'll need to up your budget, or choose something else.

autozone rotors and pads are cheaper and hold up VERY well.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Pro

so, what am I missing here?
you'll need to up your budget, or choose something else.

autozone rotors and pads are cheaper and hold up VERY well.
what we're both missing is what warrants the $100 difference from whats essentially the same product or very similar from my understanding.

Last edited by Gil'sUA5; 11-08-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:31 PM

^marketing.
one has a brand name attached to it. (stoptech)
while the lesser known powerslot company can sell it cheaper.

XLR8 can chime in to help clear things up.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Pro

^marketing.
one has a brand name attached to it. (stoptech)
while the lesser known powerslot company can sell it cheaper.

XLR8 can chime in to help clear things up.
Right...... well "clearing things up" isn't exactly going to knock down those extra $100 so i'll pass on the stop tech. I noticed that for the price of the PowerStops i can get both front and rear pads and rotors from Brakemotive, i have no problem paying the extra money for the PowerStop set but i'll search how good of a product the Brakemotive's are since their price makes them a little suspect.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:44 PM

^lol, raise your budget or choose something less expensive..
it really isnt that hard.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Pro

^lol, raise your budget or choose something less expensive..
it really isnt that hard.
You're not understanding justn, we've already cleared up the fact that raising my budget won't necessarily get me a better product just a better name. Isn't that what you explained as "marketing"? So I'm just trying to see if the more expensive set is actually worth it thats all.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:51 PM

^well, i didnt exactly say to buy the stoptech set.

there are tons of options. tons.
Dont overlook the autozone calipers and pads...
they're great.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My OEM brakes are warped and spit out way too much dust, I'm looking for an aftermarket set my budget is $180. This is the set I'm currently looking at but the only thing i don't like about them is that they are drilled, i wish they made a set of these or StopTech that are only slotted with the same ceramic pads but can't find that anywhere. BTW reviews are amazing on these PowerStops plus price is very good which is why they caught my attention.

Amazon.com: Power Stop K2292 Front Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit: Automotive
Centrics, a quality brand the makes for many many companies.
Front:
Amazon.com: Centric 105.0787 Posi-Quiet Ceramic Brake Pad with Shims: Automotive Amazon.com: Centric 105.0787 Posi-Quiet Ceramic Brake Pad with Shims: Automotive
$31.75
Rear:
Amazon.com: Centric 105.0536 Posi-Quiet Ceramic Brake Pad with Shims: Automotive Amazon.com: Centric 105.0536 Posi-Quiet Ceramic Brake Pad with Shims: Automotive
$28.45
Front:
Centric Parts 120.40046 Premium Brake Rotor with E-Coating : Amazon.com : Automotive Centric Parts 120.40046 Premium Brake Rotor with E-Coating : Amazon.com : Automotive
$108.50
Rear:
Amazon.com: Centric Parts 120.40061 Premium Brake Rotor with E-Coating: Automotive Amazon.com: Centric Parts 120.40061 Premium Brake Rotor with E-Coating: Automotive
$75.04
$243 total from a quality brand.
I've had my car for 10 years and my last brake job was the first one I didn't go all out and get $100 brakes and drilled and slotted rotors that don't last. Came to this conclusion after scouring many forums for the best brakes and rotors and they all said the same thing. Unless you're going to the track and have the money to keep replacing get Centric rotors and Centric ceramic pads. This isn't cheap stuff it's just Centric makes for everyone so the economies of scale brings the pricing down. Hell Brembo, EBC, and DBA are all made in China except for their highest end stuff and all of the low end stuff looks exactly the same when held side by side. Just my $.02. Honestly, I can't even really tell the difference and breaks and rotors have worn much longer. Centric rotors also have a black coating on the center ring of the rotors to prevent rust. And Brakemotive and all those ebay companies stay away. Sourced from China with no quality control that a massive company lilke Brembo or Centric can command. I'm sure some guys have gotten good sets but there are a greater many that didn't. Look outside of Acurazine and you'll find out.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Cruisin'

P.S.: You can also go to Advance Auto's website and get a full set of Wearever Gold Ceramic pads and rotors for just under $180 with some coupon work and you can get Platinums for around $190, shipped to your home or pick up in store. Let me know if you want help with that.
justnspace (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 02:59 PM

^nice options.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I agree that Brembos are heavily overpriced for what you get. My one and current experience with Centric/Stoptech is warped rotors and pads that don't want to release as you let up on the pedal until you let off way more than to have to. I got them cut to buy me time until I figure out what pad and rotor combo to go with. Since they've been cut performance is noticeably better and the pads don't grab so bad. And no, it was not pad deposits, they were out of round.
Gil'sUA5 (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I agree that Brembos are heavily overpriced for what you get. My one and current experience with Centric/Stoptech is warped rotors and pads that don't want to release as you let up on the pedal until you let off way more than to have to. I got them cut to buy me time until I figure out what pad and rotor combo to go with. Since they've been cut performance is noticeably better and the pads don't grab so bad. And no, it was not pad deposits, they were out of round.
So which pad & rotor set will you be replacing them with in the future?
Old 11-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by xkegsx
Centrics, a quality brand the makes for many many companies.
Front: Amazon.com: Centric 105.0787 Posi-Quiet Ceramic Brake Pad with Shims: Automotive $31.75
Rear: Amazon.com: Centric 105.0536 Posi-Quiet Ceramic Brake Pad with Shims: Automotive $28.45
Front: Centric Parts 120.40046 Premium Brake Rotor with E-Coating : Amazon.com : Automotive $108.50
Rear: Amazon.com: Centric Parts 120.40061 Premium Brake Rotor with E-Coating: Automotive $75.04
$243 total from a quality brand.
I've had my car for 10 years and my last brake job was the first one I didn't go all out and get $100 brakes and drilled and slotted rotors that don't last. Came to this conclusion after scouring many forums for the best brakes and rotors and they all said the same thing. Unless you're going to the track and have the money to keep replacing get Centric rotors and Centric ceramic pads. This isn't cheap stuff it's just Centric makes for everyone so the economies of scale brings the pricing down. Hell Brembo, EBC, and DBA are all made in China except for their highest end stuff and all of the low end stuff looks exactly the same when held side by side. Just my $.02. Honestly, I can't even really tell the difference and breaks and rotors have worn much longer. Centric rotors also have a black coating on the center ring of the rotors to prevent rust. And Brakemotive and all those ebay companies stay away. Sourced from China with no quality control that a massive company lilke Brembo or Centric can command. I'm sure some guys have gotten good sets but there are a greater many that didn't. Look outside of Acurazine and you'll find out.
Those centric rotors arent slotted which is one thing i wanted considering slotted rotors dissipate heat better and eventually will help with the amount of time it takes before they warp.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:15 PM
Team Owner

So which pad & rotor set will you be replacing them with in the future?
Probably Stoptech 2pc rotors. I should have mentioned mine are 13" rotors. I'm going to try and warp them again first though. I want to give them a fair chance, maybe it won't happen again since they've been heat cycled. Very little material was taken off. This BBK is an awesome kit in the way it was engineered.

As for the pads, I'm going a new route for me and trying sintered pads. I don't know what make yet, it would be nice if Stoptech made some. They have some unique properties. Great cold bite while working to 1,800F. Less judder and usually less noise. Part of the reason is they don't need much of a transfer layer on the rotors to work well which also means very little break-in. They can be quiet or they can be noisy and they can have good pad and rotor life or bad depending on the specific compound. They're typically more expensive than ceramic but my car gets driven under 6k a year so they will last me many years.

I'm over the ceramic pads. They just don't offer really good performance for heavy duty use. They're good for low noise and low dust and good rotor life but in my opinion they're too much of a compromise for me under track conditions. I've run ceramic pads that will survive 1,600F and they have terrible street manners, a screech that would scare cars next to me at 70mph on the freeway. Sintered will give great track performance with great cold bite and if you pick the right ones only the only real downside is the cost. I've used these on my mountain bike with great success even with glowing rotors from a terrifying high speed night time downhill run. The thing to remember is just like ceramic, sintered can cover a wide range of compositions.

I don't like 2pc rotors on the street but if my current ones warp again I'll probably go 2pc just to eliminate that problem. I almost forgot, the next new thing I want to try is a titanium backing plate between the pistons and the pads to reduce transfer of heat from the pads to the pistons and eventually to the fluid. The nearly pure metal sintered pads can transfer heat a little quicker to the pistons/calipers. I e also got Motul RBF 600 which I believe to be the absolute best brake fluid out there due to an extremely high wet boiling point which is representative of real world conditions.

I'm in no way saying ceramics aren't great because brake pad composition is all about compromises but I think sintered pads fit my set of compromises better.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Team Owner

I think there's only one single sintered streetable pad for the D608 pad shape for my ST-41 calipers. http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/...ducts_id=10652

This one is going hurt at $388 especially since I have no other reviews to go off of and I doubt anyone has ever used these on the street. I don't mind $100 pads not working but if these don't work I'm out $400 when all is said and done.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:17 AM
Pro

so i went about $100 higher on my budget and ended up getting the powestop set for the front and rear, i think i'll be ok with these... hopefully.
Amazon.com: Power Stop K2298 Front/Rear Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Power Stop K2298 Front/Rear Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit: Automotive
justnspace (11-11-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 05:30 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Originally Posted by maharajamd
"Power stop" not "Power slot"...

IMO, budget more for something so important and get something known to be good.
Afaik, there is both "power slot" and "power stop" brakes
Old 11-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
STOPTECH and Powerslot are owned by the same company. But Powerstop is not related. You get what you pay for.

Right...... well "clearing things up" isn't exactly going to knock down those extra $100 so i'll pass on the stop tech. I noticed that for the price of the PowerStops i can get both front and rear pads and rotors from Brakemotive, i have no problem paying the extra money for the PowerStop set but i'll search how good of a product the Brakemotive's are since their price makes them a little suspect.
Again, you get what you pay for. Cheap price = cheap quality rotors and pads. I have some cheap drilled/slotted rotors and cheap pads here too. They'll work and they look good but they aren't the same quality or durability of the STOPTECH components, nor will they perform as well.

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
Afaik, there is both "power slot" and "power stop" brakes
Correct. Powerslot is the sister company of STOPTECH, Powerstop is not.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:25 PM

so i went about $100 higher on my budget and ended up getting the powestop set for the front and rear, i think i'll be ok with these... hopefully.
Amazon.com: Power Stop K2298 Front/Rear Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit: Automotive
thanks for either upping your budget or choosing another option.

the one thing that concerns me is that the rotors are made in china!
coupled with the fact that they are drilled, I wouldnt be surprised if they crack over time.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Team Owner

coupled with the fact that they are drilled, I wouldnt be surprised if they crack over time.
Definitely. I had a friend use those on his Typhoon and it started pulling badly to one side. I stood there while he was braking gently and noticed the rotor on one side was completely stopped while the wheel was turning. The hat and rotor had separated and these were once piece rotors. Never again.

The one thing people need to realize is ALL drilled rotors will crack given enough time, even the best. If you think you can outrun the clock, go for it but you're getting almost no performance increase in the dry since we don't have much airflow over the rotors and a little performance in the wet but nothing a good set of pads won't match. I thought I would wear my old Rotora drilled 13" rotors out before they cracked, especially since I was on a full race pad but they cracked all the way though in several spots so bad that the car had a shudder.

Last edited by I hate cars; 11-11-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Cruisin'

Amazon.com: Power Stop K2298 Front/Rear Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit: Automotive
I'm sorry man but you made a mistake and paid too much for it. Those aren't any different than these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-REAR-KIT-BLACK-CHROME-Slotted-Drilled-Brake-Rotors-AND-Max-Brake-Pads-/231002067025?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2004%7CModel%3ATL&hash=item35c8cbd051&vxp=mtrhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-REAR-KIT-4-PERFORMANCE-DRILLED-SLOTTED-BRAKE-ROTORS-AND-8-CERAMIC-PADS-/390411249100?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2004%7CModel%3ATL&hash=item5ae652e5cc&vxp=mtrhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Rear-Kit-POWERSPORT-DRILLED-SLOTTED-Brake-Rotors-CERAMIC-Pads-/271039208659?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2004%7CModel%3ATL&hash=item3f1b321cd3&vxp=mtr
They're all sourced from the same place. You just paid a different company with a different mark up of $100 more. For that kind've money you could've gone to Advance auto parts and gotten DBA, DiscBrakeAustralia, rotors for the front, Wagners for the rear, and Akebono pads all around.

Last edited by xkegsx; 11-11-2013 at 12:45 PM.
justnspace (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 12:40 PM

lol should have went the stoptech route.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:44 PM
Pro

To be honest with every product there is a consumer that has had an issue with it, as you can see IHC has had issues with the stop tech. For any product you'll see great reviews and bad ones, i haven't HEARD OF one person have these crack on them (not saying its not possible). Drilled has its ups and downs, a drilled + slotted rotor SHOULD last longer without warping because it does a better job at dissipating the heat than just a slotted rotor.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Pro

BTW I've done my research on Brakemotive and MANY people here on azine aren't happy with them and have had issues
Old 11-11-2013, 06:59 PM

Drilled has its ups and downs, a drilled + slotted rotor SHOULD last longer without warping because it does a better job at dissipating the heat than just a slotted rotor.
hehe read IHC's post again.
there is no benefit to drilled and slotted rotors.

and most people confuse warping for pad deposit.

I wouldnt get the brakemotive set either.
I hate cars (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Pro

hehe read IHC's post again.
there is no benefit to drilled and slotted rotors.

and most people confuse warping for pad deposit.

I wouldnt get the brakemotive set either.
Lmao wait so slotted/drilled makes no difference at all? Why do you have slotted rotors and not traditional?
Old 11-11-2013, 07:35 PM

for the looks breaux!!!
I personally cant tell the difference between different set of brake pads...carbon vs ceramic, all I know is that I hated the dusting.

so, i opted for ceramic pads and it felt the same.
same thing with the slotted rotors vs blanks.

the best upgrade for stopping power that I did was change out the all seasons and put on a dedicated summer tire.
the difference in tire made stopping un-real!

Last edited by justnspace; 11-11-2013 at 07:40 PM. Reason: expounded on reasoning.
I hate cars (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Pro

for the looks breaux!!!
oh wow thats so corny! CUZ A WHOLE BUNCH OF LINES AND HOLESZZ ON MAH BRAKESZSS ARE GONNA MAKE MY CAR LOOKZSS SO COOL YO!
Old 11-11-2013, 07:53 PM

^you'll catch yourself looking at your rotors once you put them on, watch.

"omg,you're so sexy. I cant stop looking"

and then you'll start to notice other car's with slotted and drilled rotors.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just installed a set of blanks and pas from xlr8 and love them. One must ask themself, "these parts are going to STOP my car....do I really want CHEAP."
Old 11-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Team Owner

Drilled offers practically nothing on the street. The only time you'll see a difference in cooling is high speed/high airflow conditions which the TL will never encounter unless you run cooling ducts and regularly drive over 100mph. I've purchased white papers on the subject and I have tons of data showing my 13" slotted Stoptechs run considerably cooler than my 13" drilled and slotted Rotoras. I even ran one rotor on each side while I was swapping them out and I would have to look it up but I believe the slotted only rotors were close to 100F cooler.

Slots are there to prevent pad glazing which also keeps a nice surface on the pad. They will not help or hurt warping or cooling.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:27 PM
Team Owner

Preach on Justin. I started that last post before 5pm and just sent it without seeing the other comments on slotted vs drilled vs blanks.

There were too many theories and opinions but very, very few facts on the internet and while I was doing my own research I couldn't wait the year or more to reach a conclusion. If anyone is interested, you can buy some great SAE white papers that are done by engineers and unbiased if you want to cut through the internet myths. One in particular by GM showed the effects of drilling on cooling, rotor longevity, pad longevity, wet vs dry performance, friction characteristics in different conditions, etc. the one thing that was true in the papers and from my own tests is drilled do not run cooler in normal stop and go traffic.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:36 PM
Team Owner

^you'll catch yourself looking at your rotors once you put them on, watch.

"omg,you're so sexy. I cant stop looking"

and then you'll start to notice other car's with slotted and drilled rotors.
That's so true. When I see another TL I always remark "little brakes". It's more to annoy my fiancée than anything and it works really well. I had one TL owner think I had a manual because of my rotors. I got a funny look when I told him it was an auto. A look like that guy does not know what transmission he has.

I notice most peoples brakes now. Especially my co-worker and petroleum engineers G37 that has larger factory brakes than I have aftermarket. He has nice brakes, a nice car, a young engineer for a great company and he told me his G37 came stock with a 5.7l V8 and had no idea he had gotten the car with the optional larger brakes and no idea what diameter they are lol.

When I had the 13" Rotoras people noticed them. With the same size Stoptech no one notices but that was the idea with the black calipers and no holes.

Quick Reply: Brake Suggestions