Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light switch failed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 10:07 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake light switch failed.

At 5,700 miles the brake light switch failed on our '04 TL. When the computer senses that there are no brake lights it locks the car in park. To drive the car you must remove the little cover next to the shift lever and insert your key to get out of park.
Once the dealer diagnosed the problem he called us back and said that the switch was on back order and it would be approximately three weeks. I called him back and told him that three weeks was unacceptable for a brand new car to be out of service. He totally agreed but said he was unable to obtain the part from Acura and suggested that I call Acura Client Services. I called the number and gave them all the pertinent information. A client service rep called me back in a couple of hours and said she was on it and would get back with me. I told her that since the cars are built in Ohio there must be bins of these switches at the factory. I said I doubted that the assembly line was shut down for want of a small switch. She called back the next day to tell me that 120 of the switches were being sent to their part packaging people and would be available to dealers the next day. She called back later to say that a switch was being overnighted to my dealer and would be there tomorrow. Had the car back in three days!! They also fixed the driver seat position memory module problem. (Thanks to whoever posted the Acura service bulletin regarding this problem, it helped explain to service rep.)
Both the dealer and Acura Client Services treated us great and followed through on every promise. The dealer provided us with a new TSX to drive while our car was down. The problem is an internal Acura parts supply issue that needs to be corrected. The dealer was very frustrated by not being able to get our car back on the road in a timely manner.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Sorry to know this bad news happening on you. But at least you make them fix for you ASAP.

Do you know what kind of part or swtich you're talking about? Do you have the exact name of it?

Thanks. I heard there is a brake switch in backorder while ppl ask dealers to fix their "click" sounds. Are they the same one?
Old 07-29-2004, 12:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
After posting... mins later... my buddy sent me this...

"... ...Dude, you seriously need to buy the service manual. But then, you probably wouldn't have it at work, jk. It shows only one switch in the circuit, and it says it is a brake pedal position switch, so that must be the one that turns on the brake lights. It is normally open, but closed when the pedal is pressed... ..."

my bad...
Old 07-29-2004, 03:14 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Why didn't the svc manager take a switch out of a car on the lot?

Makes no sense to me, it is not a big project.

My dealer was great in that respect, if something would take a long time to get, they took it off anouther car on the lot (where it did not involve a huge amount of work, or diminsh the durability of the car on the lot). something like the brake switch would fall into that catigory, they should have had you on the road the same day instead of making you do the leg work for them.

I would call ACS and ask for something free
Old 07-29-2004, 03:55 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by need4spd
Why didn't the svc manager take a switch out of a car on the lot?

Makes no sense to me, it is not a big project.

My dealer was great in that respect, if something would take a long time to get, they took it off anouther car on the lot (where it did not involve a huge amount of work, or diminsh the durability of the car on the lot). something like the brake switch would fall into that catigory, they should have had you on the road the same day instead of making you do the leg work for them.

I would call ACS and ask for something free
I have not come across a single dealer who is willing to jump through those kind of hoops for me. There was one dealer who was willing to pull a steering wheel off one of their LOANER cars, but not one of their new ones. Per their explanation, it's kind of out of their jurisdiction, so to speak, for the service department to touch the new cars (which belong to the sales department).

But if that were possible, it'd make life a helluva lot easier!
Old 07-29-2004, 04:08 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
i'd go postal on someone - or everyone - including ACS (worthless in my experience especially related to tires, sunroof squeak, headliner, etc.) and dealer (has been more helpful).

Actually, based on my experience, and that this is a SAFETY issue (brake lights), my dealer would probably provide a loaner until the part came in.