Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought my TL ..... my Excitement was short lived :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Bought my TL ..... my Excitement was short lived :(

So i found a gorgeous charcoal grey 2004 TL with navigation locally in Atlanta and decided to take a look at it. We saw it and totally fell in love with it. It is GORGEOUS!!! It is in perfect and i mean perfect shape on the outside and the inside. Seriously, not a scratch on it... seriously. I was SOOO impressed. The carfax turned out flawless as well so we decided to pick it up.

I met up with the seller Wednesday and cut him the check and drove her to my office. I had a buddy of mine pick it up with me that night and got her to the house at 9:00 Wednesday night. I bought it for my wife as we just sold her Kia that she used for college. She was SOOOOOOOO happy. Totally in love. You should have seen how she glistened as she played with the navi and everything.

So last night i get a phone call around 6:00 PM letting me know some bad news. Some construction worked backed into my 1 day old TL with his work van. He even tried to hit and run me. Luckily my friend happened to be freezing his ass of in his car outside of his house where the TL was parked. He saw it happen and had to chase the van down the street to get them to stop. Turns out that the guy was borrowing his brothers car (which is insured) and the driver doesnt even have a GA drivers license, most likely because he is illegal !

He eneded up getting arrested and i had to take my 1 day old baby to a body shop to be fixed. I am hoping that the insurance companies dont try to rape me and that they still cover the car (his.. mine will of course) as the driver was not a valid GA driver.. they may tell their customer to go screw themselves as he should not have let his brother drive without a license.

I better not have to claim it on mine as uninsured motorist, but from what i can tell, i wont. We will wait and see.

I will try to post pics later today. it doesnt look that bad now becasuse the guy pulled the bumper back out and cleaned it up a bit. He hit the passenger side of front bumper, passenger side front rim and possibly damage to the headlight, hood, and the fender. We will see what the body shop says when they dig into it. Unfortunately the shop is slammed and wont be able to work on it for over a week... i may need to take it to another shop

Well that is my first day being the happiest TL owner... it all came crashing down....
Old 04-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats on the new ride..but im sorry to hear about the accident. Don't worry a week from now you'll be enjoying what all of us do every day
Old 04-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That sucks man...everything will work out and you will get your baby back and she will be just as beautiful as you remember her! lol Good luck with everything!
Old 04-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Let's Go Pens

damn dude sorry to hear about your unfortunate luck

Are you sure you didn't pick up a NBP (color - nighthawk black pearl) It seems like one of our typical curse threads
Old 04-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Its MY Car & I Love It!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on the new car. Thats crazy, the same thing sorta happened to me two weeks after I bought my TL. They are just cars though...get em fixed and keep it moving.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Busting some beats...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lol, don't see what the illegal part has anything to do with it, but damn dude sucks to hear about your car.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:49 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
the illegal part because now you know the owner of the van is liable for damages... if the person driving the car doesn't have insurance the owner of the car is responsible

I hope for the best... and after reading acuratl_driver's tag line... yea watch the "racially" based comments...
Old 04-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AcuraTL_driver
Lol, don't see what the illegal part has anything to do with it, but damn dude sucks to hear about your car.
it wasnt meant as anything. The reason it was brought up is whether insurance companies have a line that is in their contract that they will not cover claims if the driver does not have a valid driver's license. Since he doesnt, i want to make sure that i dont get screwed.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Instructor

congrats on your purchase and welcome!
Old 04-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Racer

congrats on the purchase. hopefully everything will work out in your favor. welcome to the forums
Old 04-04-2008, 12:18 PM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Don't worry, it'll get fixed.

I thought the same thing when my car got keyed, but after the repaint, it looks even better. No more yellow bumpers!!
Old 04-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Registered TL User

I feel your pain. I bought a perfect used Miata a few years ago. The very next day a guy in a pickup flung his door open and whacked the front fender. I bought a TL a few weeks ago (my first new car) and a few days later a relative dropped something on the back bumper, chipping the paint! Yes, it is NBP!

I hope you get your car fixed soon!
Old 04-04-2008, 01:14 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If someone ever tried pulling that off on me they would need to kill me in order to pry my hands off of their neck. Especially if it was someone who wasn't insured, I think I would go crazy.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:16 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DJSlim
Congrats on the new car. Thats crazy, the same thing sorta happened to me two weeks after I bought my TL. They are just cars though...get em fixed and keep it moving.

They're not just cars to me.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Unshunned

Originally Posted by NNatic
So i found a gorgeous charcoal grey 2004 TL.
anthracite metallic!!

welcome to the 2004 Anth-Met club. Be prepared though, cuz in the ATL area this color seems to indicate to other drivers ''Pull right-the-f$ck-out in front of me and go slow!!!!" lol. Luckily I've avoided several accidents with the some aftermarket brakes and rotors.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,026 Likes on 1,518 Posts
I had the same exact thing happen to me, except my car was hit within 30 minutes of owning it.

Once you drive your TL for a day and leave it for 5 - 10 days, you'll appreciate it even more lol.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

That sucks! Sorry to hear about your enjoyment being snatched away. Of course one always get hit by the fool with no insurance.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

hopefully, everything will work out.

welcome! AM FTW!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 03:15 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts

It has a very large part of it, if he wasn't here this would have never happened.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:40 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Sorry to hear about the incident. Sux.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Instructor

Good luck. I went through an accident recently and I'm not at fault and the insurance still screwed me around and nickle and diming me.

In the end the work is good but not as good as original. All the parts are ultra cheap.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi I'm in Atlanta also and I just recently purchased my tl not so long ago either.

D
Old 04-04-2008, 04:59 PM
07TL-CBP

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
NNatic,
Man, what a painful way to begin the joy! This is even worst because of the unique situation.

Problems:
If the other owner admits allowing the use of the van by an unlicensed driver, he runs the risk of being sued by his insurance company to recover the costs that they will be obligated to spend repairing your car (this happens).

If the other owner claims that his van was stolen at the time, his insurance company will not be obligated to repair your car (no liable action by the owner). You will be faced with having to sue the driver to recover repair costs (SOL) or getting a lawyer to build a case, which shows that the van's use was granted by the owner.

I suggest that you call your insurance company and seek their advise on the best course of action - they will certainly know better. In some cases, they may even fix your car and pursue action against the other owner.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Couldn't be happier!

sorry to hear that bud.

I'm 6 weeks into waiting for my car after some old kook pulled out from behind a metro bus and forced me to hit him and a curb going like 25. It's hard not to get frustrated, but try to remain patient and just think about how nice it is going to be when you finally get it back.

I cannot wait for Monday (of course they said that, but they have told me last tuesday, thursday and then friday (today)).
Old 04-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts
congrats on the Tl, and sorry for the accident, my best to you getting you TL back in the same condition in which you bought it.

You will love this TL and see how much you missed it after you get it back, have fun and come back here
Old 04-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Definitely sucks, but at least you were able to get the idiot who did it to take the blame instead of come outside and find damage without anyone around.

Don't sweat it, have them fix it back up and you'll be back in style fast
Old 04-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to hear about that but you'll be fixed up shortly! on the new ride though!
Old 04-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Busting some beats...

it wasnt meant as anything. The reason it was brought up is whether insurance companies have a line that is in their contract that they will not cover claims if the driver does not have a valid driver's license. Since he doesnt, i want to make sure that i dont get screwed.

Lol. As long as the insurance knows that the other driver did not have a valid license, which is going to show up on the police report, you will not get screwed in any way. But...to be honest with you, if your insurance does not cover any damage if it was caused by someone without a driver's license, I would look for some other insurance company.

Your car was stationary, as far as I could get from your description. The main reason I got the TL is because even though I totaled, my insurance paid my car off and more.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pokin
NNatic,
Man, what a painful way to begin the joy! This is even worst because of the unique situation.

Problems:
If the other owner admits allowing the use of the van by an unlicensed driver, he runs the risk of being sued by his insurance company to recover the costs that they will be obligated to spend repairing your car (this happens).

If the other owner claims that his van was stolen at the time, his insurance company will not be obligated to repair your car (no liable action by the owner). You will be faced with having to sue the driver to recover repair costs (SOL) or getting a lawyer to build a case, which shows that the van's use was granted by the owner.

I suggest that you call your insurance company and seek their advise on the best course of action - they will certainly know better. In some cases, they may even fix your car and pursue action against the other owner.
I checked with my insurance company, and i am fine either way with a 250 dollar deductible. Pretty crappy if i have to pay it because of the situation but either way i am covered.

As a correction to your stolen car thing.. if i were to steal your car and get into an accident with your vehicle, you will be required to pay the deductible and your insurance company would pay for the damages pretty crazy but that is how it works. at least in GA...
Old 04-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Advanced

Lol. As long as the insurance knows that the other driver did not have a valid license, which is going to show up on the police report, you will not get screwed in any way. But...to be honest with you, if your insurance does not cover any damage if it was caused by someone without a driver's license, I would look for some other insurance company.

Your car was stationary, as far as I could get from your description. The main reason I got the TL is because even though I totaled, my insurance paid my car off and more.
i am not worried about my insurance. i am worried about theirs. I have uninsured motorist coverage. With a 250 dollar deductable i will be fine, but why should i have to pay it when his should cover it?

So far it SEEMS like they will cover it, but at most i will be out of 250 dollars.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:03 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

If the guy was illegal he had no insurance coverage. If he had no insurance, then your OWN insurance has to cover it. Illegals and un-insured motorist are EXACTLY why YOUR (and my) insurance rates go up and up and up. IMHO, if they are illegal and get caught, ship their butts to Iraq even if they come from Mexico (Let them cross the Iraqi boarder. LOL)!

If YOU are an illegal.... either file for citizenship, pay your taxes or get the F outta MY country!
Old 04-05-2008, 01:45 AM
7th Gear

Considering thousands of brave American soldiers have either died or been injured serving their country and thousands of innocent Iraqis are suffering through the hardships of war, I'm not sure your comment about sending "illegals" to Iraq is anything to laugh about. I wouldn't want any of my fellow men/women of this world, illegal or not, to suffer through the hardships that Americans and Iraqis in Iraq are going through.

And dude, chill. Firstly, people can have mature and intelligent discussions about illegal immigration and not have to resort to insulting and dehumanizing certain groups of people. Secondly, the ills of the world weren't caused by "illegals".

Furthermore:

1) If the guy had no insurance, he may be a legal resident/US Citizen or an illegal resident.
2) "Illegals and un-insured motorists" may contribute to rising insurance premiums. (To what extent if at all, I don't know.) But so does accidents caused by insured motorists (who are legal residents/U.S. Citizens) and/or by those who make fradulent insurance claims.
3) "Illegals" do pay taxes, albeit under false social security numbers.
4) The cheap labor provided by the "illegals" has contributed in relatively low prices on certain goods, such as fruits and vegetables.

My apologies for drifting off the topic.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Busting some beats...

i am not worried about my insurance. i am worried about theirs. I have uninsured motorist coverage. With a 250 dollar deductable i will be fine, but why should i have to pay it when his should cover it?

So far it SEEMS like they will cover it, but at most i will be out of 250 dollars.

If you have Travelers, trust me, they will make the other insurance company pay.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Advanced

If you have Travelers, trust me, they will make the other insurance company pay.
i have allstate, but if i file the claim, Allstate will have to pay it out... trust me... they'll do ANYTHING in their power to get their money back

I just want my baby back.. at this point im like screw it, ill pay the deductible with hopes to see a refund check and one for depreciation now that it has been "in a wreck"
Old 04-06-2008, 04:25 AM
2011 BMW 335i

Congrats on your new TL and sorry to hear about what happened. I have an 05 TL Nighthawk Black Pearl with Navi..I bought it brand new in Oct 2005 and have kept it in mint condition since then. Only 21k miles on it currently. Just last week my car was parked and some idiot side swiped it scraping the left bottom rear fender and denting it in a little bit. I was highly upset considering the person did not leave a note (of course) and I have 1000 deductible, my insurance company said I am covered however the damage equaled approx $1025...so they would end up paying approx $25...ummm ok?!?! It was parked by a gas station and was there are several cameras there, the owner of the gas station thought it could have been caught on tape, my insurance company said if I could give them the license plate number of the car that hit my car , then they would get everything taken care of. After waitng one week for the gas station owner review the tapes to get back with me, it turns out the camera did NOT catch it on tape so now I'm screwed pretty much.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Busting some beats...

i have allstate, but if i file the claim, Allstate will have to pay it out... trust me... they'll do ANYTHING in their power to get their money back

I just want my baby back.. at this point im like screw it, ill pay the deductible with hopes to see a refund check and one for depreciation now that it has been "in a wreck"

Well I hope for the best for you and this crap that your going through. Hopefully everything turns out alright. Keep us posted as to what goes down
Old 04-26-2008, 01:35 AM
Lazy Idiot

Originally Posted by Evader
damn dude sorry to hear about your unfortunate luck

Are you sure you didn't pick up a NBP (color - nighthawk black pearl) It seems like one of our typical curse threads
Im sorry, is NBP an unlucky color?