3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought my first car, looking for some insight and help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 08:13 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bought my first car, looking for some insight and help.

About 6 months ago I bought my first car, a 2005 Acura TL with 200km on it. I got it through a used car dealership with a 2 year or 24k km warranty. Since then I have put about 4500 km on it myself. I paid $6800 CDN after everything which is pretty steep on the market here. When I went to buy the car they offered to test drive but told me they had to give it a refresh before letting it out as it’s been on the lot about 3 months. I don’t know much about cars so I took it with a grain of salt. When I went to pick it up it had the VSA alert, VSA activation alert and Airbag alert. The car has an idol shake, the navigation unit says please check disk, which is apparently causing a parasitic drain. I have been told my car has been going into link mode for some reason and goes in for the second time on Monday for it and new control arms. But the car won’t go above 3000 rpm, I can’t take it on the highway atm as I can’t accelerate efficiently passed 80km. If I gas too hard at a light I lose power at about 40 km.I have insurance on the car for another 6 months so I’m deciding what to do or where I should go. I don’t care necessarily about the book value, I like the car and don’t mind pumping money into it. Even wanted to get the interior done and car wrapped, tints etc in the long run. I don’t like the hassle of going through finding a reliable car and going through approvals it’s stressful to me especially after this experience. In my head I can buy something new or spend 20-30k and make my TL nice in the long run. But again I don’t know what’s best at the moment. Is it worth saving? Or should I just budget to throw it away in October?
Old 04-29-2023, 06:57 AM
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
I’m sure it’s fixable, but if it were me, I’d try to find one in better shape. Then you can move on to the things you actually want to do.
Old 04-29-2023, 07:06 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Ltfa182
I’m sure it’s fixable, but if it were me, I’d try to find one in better shape. Then you can move on to the things you actually want to do.
The car visually is near visually flawless, it’s all mechanical. What it’s coming down to is the cost of fixing gonna outweigh the cost of another. And if I do will I continue my joint custody agreement with my mechanic lol. I can get another TL for $3500+ but it’s gonna mediocre shape not near what I got. But I also don’t see me getting what I paid for the car as I only paid $6800 thinking it would have no issues. I’m scared to think what I’ll get for it atm with all the dash lights and a check engine light when I hit the gas too hard.
Old 04-29-2023, 07:20 AM
Instructor

Makes sense. Is the place you bought it from willing to fix any of it? I mean it seems like they knew it had issues and sold it anyway. Not like you’d expect a perfect car at 16 years old but they definitely should fix the limp mode thing.
Old 04-29-2023, 07:44 AM
10th Gear

Makes sense. Is the place you bought it from willing to fix any of it? I mean it seems like they knew it had issues and sold it anyway. Not like you’d expect a perfect car at 16 years old but they definitely should fix the limp mode thing.
They have been somewhat helpful. They never give me a hard time bringing it in, but I feel like they are only bandaging a wound that needs stitches. It’s not like they are taking my $$$ at this point either. Everytime I offer to pay for labour or to replace something they tell they have it covered. I know it’s a used car and don’t mind spending $$$ on it. I want too lol It went in 3 times to find the origin of the parasitic drain. Twice now on Monday for the Link mode issue. They obviously don’t want to spend $$$ on replacing a navigation unit. So in the next month or so it’s going in for that too. Sometimes I wonder if they actually look at the car but being under warranty I’ve been hesitant to take it to another mechanic as I know I’ll get the best price here and I’m by nowhere near rich. The warranty was a major selling point for me cause my lack of knowledge on cars. But I’ve been looking at other mechanics getting ready to calculate costs vs another TL
Old 04-30-2023, 02:43 PM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
Parasitic drain is handsfree link. Disconnect it.

Limp mode is the app sensor, change it.

You'll need to either repair or replace the navigation unit to fix the check disk.
Old 04-30-2023, 04:05 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by vpasla1
Parasitic drain is handsfree link. Disconnect it.

Limp mode is the app sensor, change it.

You'll need to either repair or replace the navigation unit to fix the check disk.
Car goes in tomorrow or Tuesday. I’ll be sure to mention both those things to them. Possibly even look up the handsfree link. See if I can do it myeself. Much appreciated for the time and response 🙏
Old 04-30-2023, 04:25 PM
Instructor

Hands free link you can definitely do yourself. You just need a flat head and like a 10mm or 8mm ratchet. I can’t remember what size. Takes 10 mins
The following users liked this post:
joe.abp (05-01-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 04:28 PM
10th Gear

Hands free link you can definitely do yourself. You just need a flat head and like a 10mm or 8mm ratchet. I can’t remember what size. Takes 10 mins
I don’t have the tools on hand unfortunately but I have a video downloaded for tomorrow at work I definitely have the tools there lol. Thank you 🙏
Old 04-30-2023, 04:33 PM
Instructor

You got it! Also, even if that’s not the issue, the handsfree link is so outdated it’s worth disconnecting.
Old 05-01-2023, 05:47 AM
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
We have the same year, mileage, country and even the time of purchase lol. I totally understand the pain of buying a car in the current market.

You mentioned you liked the warranty as your not familiar with cars. The biggest predicted maintenance expense on TL's are the timing belt/water-pump/tensioner. It can easily be over $1500 CAD for that service. It's due every 7 years/160K km. I'd recommend asking the dealership if they know when this service was last done.

1. The VSA/ check engine lights flashing sound like the accelerator pedal position sensor failing. Here's a very early thread from 2008 discussing this issue. https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...-light-730933/

2. Car vibration at idle is very likely caused by shot engine mounts. You can test this by disconnecting the vacuum lines on top of the engine. If there's no difference in engine vibration, that is the cause. This is a common issue w/age & mileage. OEM mounts remove it completely but they're pretty pricey ~$600CAD for all 3 mounts

3. The nav system is from 2003 is not worth fixing. Any cheap double din with android auto/car play is infinitely better although what sucks is that it replaces your radio unit and not the screen itself. If you just disconnect the wires to the DVD unit in the trunk it remains turned off but everything else works fine.

4. Your parasitic drain is most likely caused by the failing bluetooth module.If you get in the car on a cool morning and feel the center light console to be warm, that is whats causing it. Here's how to disconnect it, very quick and easy job.

The biggest major point of failure from this generation is primarily the transmission. You'd definitely want to change the ATF and the pressure switches as well if you're gonna invest into it long term. Plenty of info about this topic on Acurazine.

Old 05-02-2023, 04:36 PM
10th Gear

You got it! Also, even if that’s not the issue, the handsfree link is so outdated it’s worth disconnecting.
Well I got it disconnected now. Unfortunately they didn’t have time today to take my car out of limp mode as the App sensor needs to sync with the ECU. The main mechanic was gone so not sure what’s up with that yet hope to hear from him soon hopefully it’s something he can do. I also did my control arms and now it needs 2 engine mounts. I did the other 2 less then 6 months ago so I guess the other 2 went but the side mechanic revved my engine and it almost jumped out the engine bay lol
Old 05-02-2023, 04:42 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by joe.abp
We have the same year, mileage, country and even the time of purchase lol. I totally understand the pain of buying a car in the current market.

You mentioned you liked the warranty as your not familiar with cars. The biggest predicted maintenance expense on TL's are the timing belt/water-pump/tensioner. It can easily be over $1500 CAD for that service. It's due every 7 years/160K km. I'd recommend asking the dealership if they know when this service was last done.

1. The VSA/ check engine lights flashing sound like the accelerator pedal position sensor failing. Here's a very early thread from 2008 discussing this issue. https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...-light-730933/

2. Car vibration at idle is very likely caused by shot engine mounts. You can test this by disconnecting the vacuum lines on top of the engine. If there's no difference in engine vibration, that is the cause. This is a common issue w/age & mileage. OEM mounts remove it completely but they're pretty pricey ~$600CAD for all 3 mounts

3. The nav system is from 2003 is not worth fixing. Any cheap double din with android auto/car play is infinitely better although what sucks is that it replaces your radio unit and not the screen itself. If you just disconnect the wires to the DVD unit in the trunk it remains turned off but everything else works fine.

4. Your parasitic drain is most likely caused by the failing bluetooth module.If you get in the car on a cool morning and feel the center light console to be warm, that is whats causing it. Here's how to disconnect it, very quick and easy job.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xdyZjaeXqs&t=187s

The biggest major point of failure from this generation is primarily the transmission. You'd definitely want to change the ATF and the pressure switches as well if you're gonna invest into it long term. Plenty of info about this topic on Acurazine.
I greatly appreciate the response. 🙏 I did some engine mounts less than 6 months ago but found out today I need an additional 2. I also got the hands free link disconnected aswell so hopefully my drain is solved. And did the control arms. Still waiting on them to fix limp mode but I can atleast drive on the roads for now. I haven’t dabbled into the VSA yet as it’s not necessarily needed to keep the car running. I’ve been trying to get it into top shape to start on the dash lights but it’s always something unfortunately… But sensors are cheap I’ll mention next time try it just for the sake of trying.
Old 05-02-2023, 04:48 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by joe.abp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xdyZjaeXqs&t=187s

Will also mention the Water timing belt and transmission. We originally thought the issues were transmission so I am confident it’s the best it’s gonna be from them. Just got sensors replaced and they keep a close eye on it. Again I do appreciate the response it definitely helps out more than you know. I’ve been so spent lately that haven’t been able to afford taking it to even get a second look losing sleep on this car. So any advice helps
Old 05-02-2023, 08:29 PM
I ain't right In the head

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
They need to honor their warranty in a timely manner. Don't offer them a single cent. You paid for that warranty. They aren't helping you out of the kindness of their heart. In fact, It sounds like they are dragging their feet servicing you no doubt because they make no additional profit from it. But they already made their profit – when you bought the car AND paid for the warranty.

I love Canadians, but sometimes you're too nice. Now please take something heavy and smash everyone that works there over the head with it.
Old 05-02-2023, 09:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 198 Likes on 162 Posts
Canadians are not THAT nice.
OP you really do need to stop offering to pay for things that should be covered under warranty.
Old 05-03-2023, 04:51 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Igotissues666
They need to honor their warranty in a timely manner. Don't offer them a single cent. You paid for that warranty. They aren't helping you out of the kindness of their heart. In fact, It sounds like they are dragging their feet servicing you no doubt because they make no additional profit from it. But they already made their profit – when you bought the car AND paid for the warranty.

I love Canadians, but sometimes you're too nice. Now please take something heavy and smash everyone that works there over the head with it.
Can’t say I haven’t thought about it honestly, but lawyers will just be something else I have to pay for lol But you’re right it’s 100% what I feel like. I think they are more interested in directly selling the cars instead of fixing them… It’s hard to take it somewhere cause warranty, plus anything not covered considered maintenance control arms, engine mounts etc I only pay $75/h for labour. If I don’t have $$$ on hand I can get it done pay it off next check type of deal. As soon as I have $$$ I have some mechanics with amazing reviews though. I killed myself paying off this car quickly to save finance $$$ but was counting on them to honour their end like you said. Gone in pretty angry at times but they tell you what you wanna hear and apologize. It’s a vicious circle and a learning experience forsure
Old 05-03-2023, 04:57 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MyGuti
Canadians are not THAT nice.
OP you really do need to stop offering to pay for things that should be covered under warranty.
I only offer to pay for things because I feel like it’s the only way it may get done… Car has weekend visits at the mechanics, I’m too nice of a person so in my head I feel some what reasonable though I don’t kill the car. In 6 months I’ve only put 4500km on it and I don’t accelerate hard. I feel bad calling every week with something to say, and I know it’s getting under their skin too. When I went in last week the guy who sold me the car came over and cracked a joke how they had my new Range Rover parked off to the side. The comment kind of hurt cause I don’t expect it to be a new car and anticipated some maintenance costs. Which I’ve been putting in for 6 months, but something is always rattling, draining, no power lol list goes on
Old 05-03-2023, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by ContinuousDashlights
Can’t say I haven’t thought about it honestly, but lawyers will just be something else I have to pay for lol But you’re right it’s 100% what I feel like. I think they are more interested in directly selling the cars instead of fixing them… It’s hard to take it somewhere cause warranty, plus anything not covered considered maintenance control arms, engine mounts etc I only pay $75/h for labour. If I don’t have $$$ on hand I can get it done pay it off next check type of deal. As soon as I have $$$ I have some mechanics with amazing reviews though. I killed myself paying off this car quickly to save finance $$$ but was counting on them to honour their end like you said. Gone in pretty angry at times but they tell you what you wanna hear and apologize. It’s a vicious circle and a learning experience forsure
Yeah. Placating is something that those in their profession do very well. But they are in the wrong. But they know that very well, and so they sweet talk you. But they sure don't actually service you very well, do they?

I would go in, not be rude at all. But just tell them how exhausted you are. How exhausting, frustrating and miserable the purchasing of this car has been. It might be a good idea to speak where other potential customers might be within hearing distance. State the obvious. Tell them that you purchased the warranty for PEACE OF MIND. Remember. They sweat talk and bullshit. You just keep bringing them back to the obvious truths here. Their warranty has brought you no peace of mind. Why don't their mechanics spend more time working on the car? Why do they put you on the bottom of the list? Why don't they just trudge on until everything on the car is finally finished? It's because they already got your money, and they don't get more when they service your car now.

It's always best to be relaxed when you do this sort of thing, though it obviously isn't an enjoyable conversation. Do what I do. Take a Valium before you go just to make it easier.
Old 05-05-2023, 06:11 PM
10th Gear

Yeah. Placating is something that those in their profession do very well. But they are in the wrong. But they know that very well, and so they sweet talk you. But they sure don't actually service you very well, do they?

I would go in, not be rude at all. But just tell them how exhausted you are. How exhausting, frustrating and miserable the purchasing of this car has been. It might be a good idea to speak where other potential customers might be within hearing distance. State the obvious. Tell them that you purchased the warranty for PEACE OF MIND. Remember. They sweat talk and bullshit. You just keep bringing them back to the obvious truths here. Their warranty has brought you no peace of mind. Why don't their mechanics spend more time working on the car? Why do they put you on the bottom of the list? Why don't they just trudge on until everything on the car is finally finished? It's because they already got your money, and they don't get more when they service your car now.

It's always best to be relaxed when you do this sort of thing, though it obviously isn't an enjoyable conversation. Do what I do. Take a Valium before you go just to make it easier.
Went in complaining that the car is causing me to lose sleep. I also asked if they could even fix my app sensor or do I have to take it somewhere else and they finally got chipping away at some stuff. I went to pick it up they had 1 engine mount in and the app sensor finished. They still had another engine mount and then a test run to see if anything else is making noise. I’m hoping they just do a good job now and I can pick it up tomorrow sounding quieter then when it came from the dealership🤞🤞🤞
The following users liked this post:
Igotissues666 (05-05-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by ContinuousDashlights
Went in complaining that the car is causing me to lose sleep. I also asked if they could even fix my app sensor or do I have to take it somewhere else and they finally got chipping away at some stuff. I went to pick it up they had 1 engine mount in and the app sensor finished. They still had another engine mount and then a test run to see if anything else is making noise. I’m hoping they just do a good job now and I can pick it up tomorrow sounding quieter then when it came from the dealership🤞🤞🤞
Fuck yeah!
Old 05-05-2023, 06:49 PM
10th Gear

Fuck yeah!
It will still more than likely have the airbag and VSA alerts on the dash but I have the pedal sensor to try for VSA still and the airbag is just a seat swap. Aslong as it comes back with its original power and no idol shake I can finally start chipping at those. They said before they weren’t part of the motor or running the car and wasn’t covered by warranty. But for those aslong as I cover parts they will cover labour.