Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body side moldings....

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 03:17 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body side moldings....

I'm not sure if I want to get the body side moldings. I would like to think that no one would intentionally open their door into my car, but it happens all the time.

That pisses me off when I see a person who just whips open their door to have to stop just inches from the next car's door.

Has anyone else installed these on their TL?

Chad
Old 11-07-2003, 03:19 PM
Instructor

Re: Body side moldings....

Originally posted by SLVR04TL6PD
I'm not sure if I want to get the body side moldings. I would like to think that no one would intentionally open their door into my car, but it happens all the time.

That pisses me off when I see a person who just whips open their door to have to stop just inches from the next car's door.

Has anyone else installed these on their TL?

Chad
The body side molding on your car only protects YOU from opening your door into the other guy. Unless the widest part of their door matches up with your molding. Not likely.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Racer

I never thought of it that way. Makes sense though....

Chad
Old 11-07-2003, 03:26 PM
Instructor

Yeah, you are spending money to be nice to the "jerks". I never bang my door on anyone else's car anyway. I got them fro free on my Accord, and I think they look stupid. Don't ruin the look for your TL with those stupid things.

Ryan
Old 11-07-2003, 03:39 PM
Instructor

Are you guys confusing door edge guards with the body side molding?

Body side molding won't protect the other guy, it's the edge of the door that usually does the damage.

I agree that the body side molding only works if the other guy's door's outer edge meets with the molding to prevent it from strinking the side of your car, but some protection is better than none.

I plan on getting it because at $149 its cheaper than repainting or the dent doctor.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:49 PM
Pro

Originally posted by mook
Are you guys confusing door edge guards with the body side molding?

Body side molding won't protect the other guy, it's the edge of the door that usually does the damage.

I agree that the body side molding only works if the other guy's door's outer edge meets with the molding to prevent it from strinking the side of your car, but some protection is better than none.

I plan on getting it because at $149 its cheaper than repainting or the dent doctor.
Is this a $149 option at the dealer? Is it the same color?

I was not impresses that it does not have molding. If you look at my two cars, the rubber has a LOT of places where you can see people hit them. If not for them, it would be the paint that took the damage. I did not see anywhere that it was an option.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:02 PM
Instructor

I guess I'm confused. I have the door guard rubber things that run down the outer edge of my doors, so they don't scratch THE OTHER car if I whack them with my door.

What are you guys talking about, and where can I see pics?
Old 11-07-2003, 04:53 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Door skins on the TL are 50% stronger than the 2003 to resist door dings (not prevent) LOL

The first day I drove my car, a guy parked about a foot from me in a 1976 Caddy Eldo with those HUGE doors, and a kid in the back!

Man, did I move my car quick!

I did not get them due to looks, but I know I will be sorry as they do help! Maybe the doors really are better (but not 76 eldo better!). Good thing my friend is in the autobody buis, he can have the guy do the paintless dent removal for $85 for me

I also park far away!
Old 11-07-2003, 06:07 PM
Pro

Take a look at a lot of cars. They have a rubber strip running the lenght of the car doors about halfway up. These strips are usually at the widest (or farthest out) from the car.

The TL has nothing. Even if the paint is stronger, it will get chipped with car doors. The rubber does not work all the time, but it does do a lot.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:18 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Formula 350
Take a look at a lot of cars. They have a rubber strip running the lenght of the car doors about halfway up. These strips are usually at the widest (or farthest out) from the car.

The TL has nothing. Even if the paint is stronger, it will get chipped with car doors. The rubber does not work all the time, but it does do a lot.
So your saying those other cars will line up with the rubber strip going across the side of the TL? Explain please?
Old 11-07-2003, 06:41 PM
Intermediate

Re: Bodyside Molding

It is definitely something to consider if you have to park in crowded parking lots. I did not get it on mines because I rarely park in crowded parking lots, and when I do, I look for a space very far away. If your current car has bodyside molding, look at it real close and see how many dings you have. hat could be the body of your new TL. I personally did not like the look of it. It badly contrasted with the crease that runs along the body of the car. Park far, and save some money. Especially when they figure in labor. A Honda dealer tried to sell it to me for 1200.00 with installation on a Accord Coupe, after all of the options it was more than I wanted to spend on a Accord, so I got the TL, and I am DAMNED HAPPY!!!
Old 11-07-2003, 07:57 PM
Instructor

If you are planning on keeping your car for sometime and park the car next to strangers, I would buy them. The body side molding does match the color of your car. I am planning on keeping this car for 10 years. I am getting the body side molding and mud flaps.
Old 11-08-2003, 02:00 AM
Pro

Originally posted by elbodude
So your saying those other cars will line up with the rubber strip going across the side of the TL? Explain please?
Not quite. The rubber is at the most exposed part of the doors, but with the various heights of cars and trucks (over 50% are trucks here in Texas) there are a lot of car doors that do not match up with your body side molding.

However, as someone else mentioned take a look at an old car with molding and look at how many lines are on the rubber. This would be on your car if you do not have this.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:38 AM
Instructor

Formula,

Your right, alot of doors won't line up on the molding, but IMO it is still worth paying the $175 (I misquoted the price above) to hopefully protect me from that one big dent that would cost many times that to fix.

Yes most trucks and vans don't line up and neither do most rear doors because of the wheel cut out.

I park in a parking garage at work and I will have to have these just to keep my doors from looking like a golf ball.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Racer

Originally posted by mook
I park in a parking garage at work and I will have to have these just to keep my doors from looking like a golf ball.
:wow: If I worked in a place like that I'd start looking into public transportation...
Old 11-08-2003, 04:29 PM
Instructor

fuque,

Actually, I am.... I've not done the park and ride thing but I am thinking of buying a beater to leave in the sun all day and take the bus.

Actually I exagerated a bit, but anywhere you park in public you run the risk of being next to an idiot that would rather dent your door than inconvience himself.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:01 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
I have a 94 Accord (04 TL Nav 6Sp on order) and don't have 1 door ding on it.

This is my credo:

1) Never park next to a coupe.

2) Never park near a carriage return

3) Always look for an end spot - reduces possiblities by 50%

4) Always look for and park next to Handicapped spots. NOT IN THEM! More often than not there are more Handicapped spots than people actually usually/needing them.

5) If need be park far away and take the walk. Most of us could use it.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:39 PM
6th Gear

I had the same question as you regarding the body side molding. I decided against it because I felt that it ruined the lines of the car. I do not park where it is crowded and try to get end spots. I think you are right that different cars will bang your door in different spots so the molding might not do the job you want.
Love my TL/navi!!!
Old 11-10-2003, 02:10 PM
Racer

I wanted the body side molding, suprisingly the sales guy talked me out if it. He thought it spoiled the look of the car and didn't really do anything.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:31 PM
Pro

Originally posted by gregory28
I wanted the body side molding, suprisingly the sales guy talked me out if it. He thought it spoiled the look of the car and didn't really do anything.
Is there a picture of it anywhere? I have not seen anywhere where this is an option.

I agree that it will probably ruin the lines of the car. But if it is a dark color it blends in a lot better. My black car you can not see it much, but red is right out there.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by gregory28
I've always had them. After a few months just look at the moldings carefully ans see the numerous indentations which would have been dents or chips. It doesn't look the greatest but is better than no protection at all imo.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:26 PM
Intermediate

here...bty...it's my TL..just picked up last saturday...