Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body side molding and Door Edge Trim

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 03:37 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body side molding and Door Edge Trim

Anyone get the body side molding or door edge trim?

I'm not sure I like how it looks. Also, I think the body side molding is too low to be of any benefit.

It makes for more 'toothbrush' work when waxing, too.

Just curious
Old 12-12-2003, 03:53 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i didn't get it because it ruins the "cleanliness" of the car...the car doesn't seem to look as CLEAN when the body side molding is on...and when you have the door edge trim, that just makes it even worse...my opinion, i wouldn't get either...if someone's going to hit your car, they are going to hit your car...that's how i think about it...the best you can do is park in a semi-isolated area to prevent theft and scratches/dents...
Old 12-12-2003, 05:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Body side molding and Door Edge Trim

Originally posted by MyJohnson

I'm not sure I like how it looks. Also, I think the body side molding is too low to be of any benefit.

Just curious
I didn't get them 'cause that single molding won't be able to protect your whole doors. I wonder if all cars in the world would hit that molding so precisely.

Also, I guess you already use Acura.com to build your car... see if you like the photo it shows you while you put molding option on... for me, I don't like what it looks like...
Old 12-12-2003, 05:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Body side molding and Door Edge Trim

Originally posted by MyJohnson

Just curious
I have pics in my gallery. There are several small indentations which would have been dings if I didn't have them. Way better for me than fixing door dents.

Again I have to ask, what looks worse side moldings or doors with nicks and dents all over the place?
Old 12-12-2003, 05:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Re: Body side molding and Door Edge Trim

Originally posted by Jss1
I have pics in my gallery. There are several small indentations which would have been dings if I didn't have them. Way better for me than fixing door dents.

Again I have to ask, what looks worse side moldings or doors with nicks and dents all over the place?
Understand your points. No one wants to have dents on doors. It's better than nothing...

But, for me, I just try to keep TL's look clean and well, for my preference.

Another example: I won't put the protection bar/cushion on the front/rear cornors of bumpers 'cause those are the places getting lots of scratch... I just don't like how they look...
Old 12-12-2003, 09:27 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door moldings used to work well, when cars had similar shapes and sizes. Now, the biggest threats are from careless FUV drivers that slam their doors open in parking lots. You can always recognize a ding from an FUV because it is up near door handle height. Moldings won't help with that.

They also spoil the clean lines of today's streamlined cars.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
jss1:

What extras do you have on your car? Looks like door and bodyside moulding along with the backup sensors... Did you have the dealer install these items? How does the backup system work?
Old 12-12-2003, 10:29 PM
Pro

As I said in another thread..

I got the side molding...

I rather have dents on it then dents on doors.....

if you look around a parking lot, you will see MOST cars have some kind of side molding for protection...

If you like your car to look "clean", that is your choice but I rather have mine look "molded" then "dented"...

And there is no way I am spending near $40K on a car so I can park in isolated desolate areas and walk 5 miles to protect the sides of the car, which may not be protected there anyway.

I DO try and park BETWEEN two cars.. that way I can schoose spaces that seem to have a lot of room. Even if a car moves, then the new car comin in still should have plenty of room not to be up against me.

Mike
Old 12-13-2003, 12:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by gbriank
jss1:

What extras do you have on your car? Looks like door and bodyside moulding along with the backup sensors... Did you have the dealer install these items? How does the backup system work?
No door edge moldings, just side moldings, front and rear mud guards, winter mats and backup sensors all installed by dealer without a hitch, plus tinting.

The backup sensors are great. I've posted on here somewhere how the side and rear sensors work differently, with different tones, and how they are activated at different distances etc. I don't really have to pay too much attention when I backup anymore as they come on only when you are getting close. I always think they aren't working as it seems like I'm closer than I really am, because of the shape of the back of the car.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:58 AM
Moderator Alumnus

The backup sensors are great. I've posted on here somewhere how the side and rear sensors work differently, with different tones, and how they are activated at different distances etc. I don't really have to pay too much attention when I backup anymore as they come on only when you are getting close. I always think they aren't working as it seems like I'm closer than I really am, because of the shape of the back of the car.
Do you have links for them? I'm really interested in knowing how they work... Thanks...
Old 12-13-2003, 01:01 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Jss1,

I think I found it... the pretty useful search engine... Backup Sensor Question,right?

Sorry to bother you...
Old 12-13-2003, 01:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by rets
Jss1,

I think I found it... the pretty useful search engine... Backup Sensor Question,right?

Sorry to bother you...
No problem, glad to help. You don't begin to hear the slow beep unless the back ones are 6 feet from the object, or the side ones two feet away. Then they get progressively faster the closer you go. I rarely hear the side ones unless I am backing at an angle and I am really close.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:15 AM
Moderator Alumnus

No problem, glad to help. You don't begin to hear the slow beep unless the back ones are 6 feet from the object, or the side ones two feet away. Then they get progressively faster the closer you go. I rarely hear the side ones unless I am backing at an angle and I am really close.
Thanks for replying... I have written to you over that thread. Just like to know some facts of that system if you don't mind...

I don't want ot mess up this thread with another topic.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks to all for your comments. All your posts have definitely helped! I ordered my TL with Body Side Moulding, Door Edge Guards and Backup Sensors!