Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Side Molding

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 09:07 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body Side Molding

I've always been a fan of factory body side molding. I can't tell you how many times it's saved a ding in the door over the years.

I have to admit that the TL looks great with the crease that runs down the side through the side marker lights. The dealer installed molding just takes away from the clean lines of the car.

Any of you sorry that you didn't get the molding and would you get it if you could do things over again? I'm really on the fence on this one.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:17 PM
Racer

I'm torn, I have the moulding and this is the first car that doesn't have a doorfull of dings after a year (i'm too lazy to park a mile away from where I'm going to avoid parking next to anyone).

But I do think the car looks better without it, and I've had the thought a few times of removing it (is that even possible?)
Old 03-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
I feel the same way. I have always had BSM, and would feel naked without them, but sometimes I think the car would look nicer without them, but I have to have the protection.

Easy to take off. Just peel back slowly. They had to remove my rear door moldings because they put them too close to the front door and they rubbed when the door opened. Did such a good job that they are like new, except for the adhesive, so I can use them again, with new molding tape, if something happens to the moldings on the car. A hair dryer might help a little, especially if the temperature is cool at the time.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
very simple!
just think what looks better (or worse for that matter) dings or BSM
Old 03-07-2005, 11:20 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
No. I would still opt to go without them. I think they clash with the indented "character line" messing up the clean flow of the car.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:50 AM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by abirvalg
very simple!
Yuck BSM
Old 03-08-2005, 06:56 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
very simple!
AGREED !

It's a matter of where you live and where you park. I'd rather have BSM than dings.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:23 AM
Advanced

I'd rather have dings. BSM totally ruins the clean lines of the TL.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:31 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Larry Geller
I'd rather have dings. BSM totally ruins the clean lines of the TL.
I agree, Larry, it does (almost) totally ruin the lines..

Why do you guys think Acura left BSM off of a $30K+ car? Not because it's an expensive add-on...but because it wreaks havoc with the design.

If anyone is to blame, it's the design team for coming up with an elegant, but ultimately indefensible, design. You'd think they were Italian or something! (Actually, more than one car magazine has said the TL looks like a Japanese in a fine Italian suit... )

All of this aside, the practical side of me makes it all but impossible not to go with the damned trim.

--G.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:27 PM
Advanced

BSM looks awful so my opinion is to go without them.

Even if you have them and someone still dings the BSM, then what? You still have to fix that. Maybe it's less expensive to fix that then a door ding but something still needs to be fixed whether it's the door or the BSM.

Another thing about BSM is that you have to assume that every door of every automobile on the road would line up and hit your BSM instead of somewhere else on your door. If you're parked next to an obese SUV, their door is going to miss your BMS and still ding your door.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Advanced

A ding is only ugly at the point of the ding, & just close-up. The BSM is ugly for the entire length of the car & at a distance.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
let me add some more flame

"beauty is in the eyes of the beholder"
... i got DMM (was my second choice after WDP, which i thought would be hard to keep shiny)

while some think BSM is ugly others don't see much difference in TL with or without BSM
yeah, yeah ... i know what some of you will say ... DMM is so ugly it's hard to make it uglier ...
whatever, i like it!

however we all most certainly agree that dings DON'T look good ... unconditionally

the gas station i use all the time has metal posts coming out of the ground right around the drivers door
i've hit those damn things with my door before (on my old accord) with BSM doing the job every time and saving me from trouble
you all know how springy TL doors are
the first time i went there with my new car and my door literally jumped open i said - THANK GOD i got the BSM! or i would have put a ding on my door on the second day of having the car

so, for me it was an easy decision to make
if lived in a desert i would have gotten WDP w/o BSM
but Chicago suburbs are too rough for that

this is not to prove anything or change anybody's opinion
just to clarify what made me personally go with BSM
Old 03-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
let me add some more flame

"beauty is in the eyes of the beholder"
... i got DMM (was my second choice after WDP, which i thought would be hard to keep shiny)

while some think BSM is ugly others don't see much difference in TL with or without BSM
yeah, yeah ... i know what some of you will say ... DMM is so ugly it's hard to make it uglier ...
whatever, i like it!

however we all most certainly agree that dings DON'T look good ... unconditionally
I have DMM with BSM's and it is ding free after 16 months. Not only that but the car never looks dirty. Even better no problems at all. I even have the "ugly" backup sensors. Couldn't be happier.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:12 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
BSM's.... "To have or not to have...."

It still amazes me how much debate this "option" creates.

Some like the looks, others don't.
Some think they actually work, others don't.
Some wouldn't live without them, others die from the thought of them on their TL...

I say we all agree to disagree before this thread hits 5 pages .... :-).

--Other than that I'm one of those "ultra" strange guys that know they actually work but admittedly not all the time - and I actually like their looks...

Cheers
Old 03-08-2005, 09:27 PM
Racer

I just installed it on my 05 black TL. I dont think they make the car look any better or worse so mine as well get...

My dad says he actually likes the car with them on...

I would say get it, better safe then sorry... You can always take them off anyway, just dont do it 5 years latter as the paint will fade... lol

But really... 90% of the cars have them, its for a cause... Acura does not put them on for 2 things, added expense, and its better to not put something on a car incase those who dont want it dont have to have it, and if you do you can have it added...
Old 03-08-2005, 09:35 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

This is my third TL, and I don't have any dings since I bought it back in Nov 2003.
I believe this TL have thicker sheet metal for the doors or some kind of built-in protection against dings.

I have seen people bang their doors against my doors,
but when I got closer and checked, nothing!

Anyway, I'm glad they didn't installed permanent BSM, and that they are available for people who like them... it was the best decision.

To me, I think they look worse on light colored TLs, and dings usually happen higher than where they install the BSM.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have BSMs, and wish I would have passed. Car looks a lot better without them.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:39 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by clocks
I have BSMs, and wish I would have passed. Car looks a lot better without them.
Then why are they still on your car..........?
A little time and adhesive remover will fix your dislikes.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:27 AM
Racer

BSMs can be removed. I put them on my TL and ended up regretting it. I was going to remove them myself but I was paranoid about making a mess of the paint so I took it to a body shop. If you're still debating whether to get them, here's a collection of pictures I put together.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108303
Old 03-09-2005, 10:31 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by HondaOnly
If you're still debating whether to get them, here's a collection of pictures I put together.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108303
Great post. I wish it had been at the top of thread!

It's now more clear than ever why the TL is the rare $30K+ sedan that does not include BSM as standard equipment.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by gregger
Great post. I wish it had been at the top of thread!

It's now more clear than ever why the TL is the rare $30K+ sedan that does not include BSM as standard equipment.
I've noticed more and more cars are not putting BSMs. Acura, the new Lexus GS, the BMWs, they're all going with the plain and simple look. Partly because it's so clean and simple, but also because they're realized that with all the SUVs out there, BSMs don't matter much.

I ended removing my BSMs cause I felt they made the car too look conservative, they're too noticeable, and I don't think they'll help much since you can't decide what kinds of vehicles park next to you. Plus they really draw your attention away from the cool indent.