Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Side Molding

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 03:06 PM
VTEC HoooA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body Side Molding

Has anyone purchased the body side molding option? I am worried that this will ruin the lines of the car, but am more concerned with dings. On my current car (Civic Si) the side molding saved my car on more than one occasion (some people just have no regard for other peoples cars).

Can anyone post pics of the side molding installed on the TL??

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-15-2004, 03:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of pics here but the galleries aren't updated yet. I don't think it ruins the lines.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Received 1,012 Likes on 577 Posts
I got it and I like it. But I would have to have moldings even if I didn't like them because I hate dings even more. While I was waiting for them to be put on another TL came in with moldings so I got to see what they looked like. The color (WDP) matches perfectly so they blend right in.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:22 PM
Team Emerald City Mayor

I had the side moldings installed and love the look as well as the protection they add.

Old 03-15-2004, 04:23 PM
Burning Brakes

I got it and like it a lot. I think it adds a little element of geometry to the horizontal line to the car.....not to mention the ding thing.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Here are some pics of mine.

http://homepage.mac.com/dkrudop/MY_TL/PhotoAlbum34.html
Old 03-15-2004, 05:02 PM
Team WDP Surgeon General

I have them on my WDP and think they look great. Really I'm not sure why this is a feature a person should pay extra for. They should be on the car to start with. A lot of cars just have them from the factory.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:12 PM
Pro

Originally posted by mohmike
I had the side moldings installed and love the look as well as the protection they add.

that looks nice..i think am going to get them..no only do they look good but they also protect the car....
Old 03-15-2004, 05:36 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by mohmike
Mohmike,
Nice photo of your Anthracite with BSM, my car is same color & am considering getting BSM.
Just curious, how did you post your photo directly into the forum? Did you click "IMG" button or manually added [IMG] & [/IMG] in front & after the URL of the host for your photo? I think the forum does not allow attaching any files directly at this moment, as the max size is 1 BYTE. Appreciate any reply.
BTW, I noticed the file size of your original photo is 71.1 KB (jpeg), from pbase.com; when 1st downloaded from the forum, it was converted to BMP & it is 1.28 MB!
Old 03-15-2004, 05:50 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Better to get a small ding that most won't notice than put huge bubble-bumps on each side in an effort to prevent one. The car has such nice, clean lines and those moldings just demolish the look. I don't live in the big city, so it's not that big a deal for me; I can understand why some people must have them though.

That said, I'd rather put the $200 (or whatever they cost + installation) towards simple ding removal at the local bodyshop for the one or two times it's likely to happen instead. BJ
Old 03-15-2004, 06:02 PM
Cruisin'

I'm interested in getting the BSM too...does anyone have or have pics of it on a SSM? I think it adds to the lines, plus it can save a few hundred bucks on fixing the dings later on.

Thx
Old 03-15-2004, 06:12 PM
Instructor

I doubt I'll get them, but these pictures look really good. I thought they'd look tacked on, but instead they look integrated and nice.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:12 PM
Team Emerald City Mayor

Mohmike,
Nice photo of your Anthracite with BSM, my car is same color & am considering getting BSM.
Just curious, how did you post your photo directly into the forum? Did you click "IMG" button or manually added [IMG] & [/IMG] in front & after the URL of the host for your photo? I think the forum does not allow attaching any files directly at this moment, as the max size is 1 BYTE. Appreciate any reply.
BTW, I noticed the file size of your original photo is 71.1 KB (jpeg), from pbase.com; when 1st downloaded from the forum, it was converted to BMP & it is 1.28 MB!
I typed in the "IMG and /IMG" in the message body manually. The file is being actually being displayed as a jpg in the post. For some reason if you want to save it on your computer its converting it to bitmap at that time. Not sure why.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:16 AM
Intermediate

Question ding protection ?

When I was waiting for my TL (SSM/Ebony 5AT Nav) to arrive I thought long and hard about whether I should get body side moldings installed. I think the TL looks great both with or without them. On my previous car I no dings at all. The wife's Camry unfortunately has several dings (could be those trips to the mall) despite having bsm. I wound up taking the Camry to a dealer lot and compared the Camry's dings to a TL with bsm installed and realized that all of the dings on the Camry were 2-3 inches above the TL's bsm. I decided to forego the moldings. I realize this is not a scientific conclusion, but in my particular case I felt bsm would not add significant protection. YMMV.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:33 AM
VTEC HoooA

Wow great response on this one. Now that I have seen them on the car I am going to get them (thanks for the pic mohmike). All it takes is one jerk to ding your ride (there seem to be alot of them around these parts) so I will be making the investment in the BSM!!
Old 03-16-2004, 05:58 PM
Instructor

Re: ding protection ?

Originally posted by BelTelMel
I wound up taking the Camry to a dealer lot and compared the Camry's dings to a TL with bsm installed and realized that all of the dings on the Camry were 2-3 inches above the TL's bsm. I decided to forego the moldings. I realize this is not a scientific conclusion, but in my particular case I felt bsm would not add significant protection. YMMV.
It depends on what type of vehicles that caused the dings. Since all of the dings on your Camry are above the BSM, they might be caused by doors from SUV's, trucks or Vans. Everytime we add a car to our family, I do some tests, 1 of the test is to see if the the BSM actually do the job. Recently, I parked the 6 cars we have (4 Acura's, 1 honda, 1 Nissan; all have BSM except 04 TL) next to each other in our backyard, any door(s) from any car open & touch the BSM of the next car. Also true for older cars tried: 85 olds Ciera & 81 Datsun 200SX. The BSM on the 200sx was dealer installed, it was aftermarket & much narrower (but thicker) than factory ones, didn't work as well or looked as good but still at the right height. I never owned a Camry, so I can't comment, but if the BSM were factory OEM, not dealer installed, they should be standard height & provide some type of protection from doors of other passenger cars.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:14 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

The side molding is unattractive. This discussion is pointless. You're not getting them.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:45 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by boltjames
The side molding is unattractive. This discussion is pointless. You're not getting them.
I have them
and you are ugly!

sorry, a bit protective of my baby
Old 03-16-2004, 06:48 PM
Racer

I have them too and they look a lot better than I thought. go pay for your dings and enjoy wasting the money.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:55 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

At the end of my 36 month lease, I'll bet you that I'll have less than $250 in dings and more than $1000 worth of positive karma from not having those hideous bumps ruining the lines of the car. It's not the bumps that are ugly; it's the fact that they clash with the deep groove 18" above it. The combo of the big inward divot and big puffy welt are nauseating. That's just my opinion; don't be offended. They suck. Only a fool would want them. Again, don't be upset. I'm trying to be neutral. They are awful, ugly, shameful. Sorry. Well, no.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:02 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

At the end of my 36 month lease, I'll bet you that I'll have less than $250 in dings and more than $1000 worth of positive karma from not having those hideous bumps ruining the lines of the car. It's not the bumps that are ugly; it's the fact that they clash with the deep groove 18" above it. The combo of the big inward divot and big puffy welt are nauseating. That's just my opinion; don't be offended. They suck. Only a fool would want them. Again, don't be upset. I'm trying to be neutral. They are awful, ugly, shameful. Sorry. Well, no.
Oh really fool!
BTW, u suck at being neutral
I will have my car more than 36 months
Real cheap to paint those, sucks to paint entire door
I think they are attractive and I wouldn't change my car at all
Old 03-16-2004, 07:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Nothing like being a little opinionated, eh? Personally, I think they add some definition to the lines of the car.....but that's just IMHO. I like them too........and glad I got 'em.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hee hee

You should have put a few winking emoticons in there, bj.

For those who ACTUALLY like the look of the BSM's (why, but OK) more power to ya. But those who install them mostly because they are hoping to avoid dings...you are going to be sorely disappointed. Dings will happen anyway.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:22 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Yikes! Sorry I upset you puffy welters

Really. I'm being sincere

To show you that I sympathize, I'm putting a pair of red ones on my antracite doors. They may clash with the exterior, but they're going to compliment my camel dash, ebony headrests, and quartz floormats. To a tee
Old 03-16-2004, 09:34 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Yikes! Sorry I upset you puffy welters

Really. I'm being sincere

To show you that I sympathize, I'm putting a pair of red ones on my antracite doors. They may clash with the exterior, but they're going to compliment my camel dash, ebony headrests, and quartz floormats. To a tee
I want pics asap

I have anthracite too
THEY WILL SAVE ME FROM DINGS
y would u tell me otherwise
Old 03-16-2004, 09:41 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Dings are not a mechanical issue. A ding never stopped a car from functioning. Therefore, a ding is merely a cosmetic annoyance. So might be the Puffy Welts From Hell.

One has to weigh the cosmetic 'plus' of having fewer teeny-tiny dings that perhaps 10 people would actually notice during a three year span against the cosmetic 'minus' of having large puffy protectors that thousands of people would definitely notice during that same span.

Better to have 10 very critical people snicker "he he he, he's got some dings.....awful" than have 100,000 average people snicker "such a beautiful car....why the hell did he put those puffers on it?"

BJ
Old 03-16-2004, 10:00 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Dings are not a mechanical issue. A ding never stopped a car from functioning. Therefore, a ding is merely a cosmetic annoyance. So might be the Puffy Welts From Hell.

One has to weigh the cosmetic 'plus' of having fewer teeny-tiny dings that perhaps 10 people would actually notice during a three year span against the cosmetic 'minus' of having large puffy protectors that thousands of people would definitely notice during that same span.

Better to have 10 very critical people snicker "he he he, he's got some dings.....awful" than have 100,000 average people snicker "such a beautiful car....why the hell did he put those puffers on it?"

BJ
I'll puff you!
I'll puff you real good!!!!
Old 03-16-2004, 10:05 PM
Instructor

Talking

Old 03-16-2004, 10:20 PM
Instructor

The discussions after the above posting really became pointless.
The purpose of this forum is to share info, ideas & comments, not to throw pot shots & possibly hurt someone's feelings. While you are entitled to your opinion, so are others, while there are still many undecided, myself included. I think both look good, especially if the bsm is done right, like mohmikes; but does it justify the cost, added weight & possibility of damaged paint should you want to remove it? All this plus the TL's new dent resistant (not proof) panels make me wonder.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:25 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Originally posted by jshih57
The discussions after the above posting really became pointless.
The purpose of this forum is to share info, ideas & comments, not to throw pot shots & possibly hurt someone's feelings. While you are entitled to your opinion, so are others, while there are still many undecided, myself included. I think both look good, especially if the bsm is done right, like mohmikes; but does it justify the cost, added weight & possibility of damaged paint should you want to remove it? All this plus the TL's new dent resistant (not proof) panels make me wonder.
I doubt they weight much or would make a big difference
I don't care much about performance, I got auto

He can feel free to take pot shots, I have bsm to protect me
when i pot shot him, nothing
I dent right through those "resistant" naked panels

can't well all just get alone
Old 03-16-2004, 10:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Hi guys,

Don't mean to interrupt....but do you know if Acura uses European spec steel for the doors to make them more ding resistant? I hear Infiniti does but wonder if Acura does. Thanks.

dsc888
Old 03-16-2004, 11:02 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Originally posted by dsc888
Hi guys,

Don't mean to interrupt....but do you know if Acura uses European spec steel for the doors to make them more ding resistant? I hear Infiniti does but wonder if Acura does. Thanks.

dsc888
If you didn't mean to interrup than u didn't need to most
nah
haha I'm only joking
welcome to the forums, but sorry I don't know the answer
Old 03-16-2004, 11:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks moreace

Which dealer did you get your TL from? I didn't see your post after replying about my experience at Acura of Boston. I got to test the car through the cratered streets of Brighton and Allston and really loved the TL's ride during the test drive. I can't wait until mid May.

dsc888
Old 03-16-2004, 11:17 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

wow after reading my last post I really should proof read or issue a decoder ring to the board

I got my car or will be getting my car from Clair in Walpole
I even took it out for a 1 hr test drive alone, keep in mind I am 21, didn't shave and came in wearing Puma warm ups
So that was nice of them
I got $1900 off and more thatn I should of for my trade. Also got BSM, yes I got BSM at cost. BSM RULE! Also had them throw in 2 extra keys and touch up paint.
Most popular color combo, w/ nav, 1 month wait
Old 03-16-2004, 11:26 PM
Burning Brakes

moreace,

You got one heck of a deal too. I am so surprised that us 2 Boston guys got such a big discount on the NAVI cars. I assume that they are ordering it for you from the factory as mine is. I only took a 20 minute test drive with my girlfriend and the sales lady and was allowed to pretty much take it anywhere I pleased. Now you got me thinking about the BSM too. I got the Diamond White Pearl with the Quartz but still hate dings as much as the next guy. I think I will get it and install them myself. Hope it's not that hard to line up properly. Good luck with yours.

dsc888
Old 03-16-2004, 11:31 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Thanks, keep is posted
I wouldn;t do it myself, but I am retarded
I didn;t let them charge me over cost for them
Yea, I am very happy with the deal
My POS trade in was worth 3000, which is what they wanted to give me. I don't even think it was worth that, really sucked. I did even better cause I talked them up to 3600 for it, w00t
My parents bought from Clair before so that might have helped too. Mom's CLK conv is from Clair Mercedes.
Or mebbe Boston boys are just the Sh$t at car negotiating?
Mine is coming from the factory, being built the 31st
Old 03-16-2004, 11:39 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

o and htey gave me wheel locks too, but I didn't ask for them. Must be a Clair thing. Wierdos
Old 03-16-2004, 11:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Dude,

You are so lucky on the trade. What was your trade in car and was it good cosmetically or mechanically? I will trade in my 97 Camry LE V6 with the factory body kit. Hope they will give me about $4500 for it though. The car is good mechanically but needs body work though. Please keep me updated since you will get your car first. Maybe I'll catch you on 95 or 128 one of these days in mine after I get it. Don't forget to wave !
Old 03-16-2004, 11:45 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Originally posted by dsc888
Dude,

You are so lucky on the trade. What was your trade in car and was it good cosmetically or mechanically? I will trade in my 97 Camry LE V6 with the factory body kit. Hope they will give me about $4500 for it though. The car is good mechanically but needs body work though. Please keep me updated since you will get your car first. Maybe I'll catch you on 95 or 128 one of these days in mine after I get it. Don't forget to wave !
95 G20. I don't wanna talk condition until I get ym car. Might have reps searching the boards, <I see you>

I will def wave if I see you
wave goodbye!
and you wont catch me
especially on 95 or 128, he, I'm just kidding

we can stop and have tea or something

what teh hell is this thread about again dsc? I think we hijacked this one good as our own personal chat room
Old 03-16-2004, 11:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Tea, coffee, or beer...as long as you buy! Just kidding. It would be nice it we New England TL owners could have a meet once or twice a year to put a face to a name and trade tips and stories.

128 will be fun since I can't remember the last time I saw cops on it. But be safe more importantly. Too many knuckle heads, not your of course weaving around in and out of traffic as it is and causing serious accidents each day.

Take care.

Quick Reply: Body Side Molding