Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth and DVD-Audio

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 09:50 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluetooth and DVD-Audio

Being the gadget-freak that I am, I can't wait to drop my $37k for a multi-speaker hands-free system for my Bluetooth cell phone! It looks like Acura did it right by integrating the Nav system into the hands free system according to the brochure. So I should be able to say "find the nearest Chinese restaurant", then tell the system to call them, whereby it sends the command via bluetooth to my phone which places the call. Very cool.
On another note, while the DVD Audio is innovative, in my opinion they missed the boat by not including SACD and MP3 compatibility also.

Mark
Old 09-22-2003, 09:56 PM
Intermediate

Are you sure it will not play mp3 audio?
Old 09-23-2003, 06:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Sundance CL-S
Been confirmed repeatedly, unfortunately.

I am still happy with the stereo.

At first, I was against XM, but now I may actually subscribe.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:25 AM
Instructor

Re: Bluetooth and DVD-Audio

Originally posted by msteele
Being the gadget-freak that I am, I can't wait to drop my $37k for a multi-speaker hands-free system for my Bluetooth cell phone! It looks like Acura did it right by integrating the Nav system into the hands free system according to the brochure. So I should be able to say "find the nearest Chinese restaurant", then tell the system to call them, whereby it sends the command via bluetooth to my phone which places the call. Very cool.
On another note, while the DVD Audio is innovative, in my opinion they missed the boat by not including SACD and MP3 compatibility also.

Mark
To my knowledge, all Bluetooth phones are GSM. Does anyone know if Sony Ericsson will really be offering the T608 Bluetooth phone for CDMA?
Old 09-23-2003, 07:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Late breaking Bluetooth news.... Nokia will be replacing the 3650, VERY SOON with the 3620.

Essentially the same phone, but a normal keypad config and GSM 850, plus more colors!
Old 09-23-2003, 09:56 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Sundance CL-S
It wont but there might be a mp3 cd player as a acessory
Old 09-24-2003, 09:50 AM
Racer

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
Late breaking Bluetooth news.... Nokia will be replacing the 3650, VERY SOON with the 3620.

Essentially the same phone, but a normal keypad config and GSM 850, plus more colors!
Nope....Nokia is not replacing the 3650 with the 3620. The 3620 is being made for AT&T. 3650 will still be alaviable. And there are no pictures and no evidence that it will have normal keypad. There is a picture going around that looks to be a 3650 but with normal keypad but it is thought to be a fake. But this website http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=460 mentions that it might be a 3660.

3650 = 900 / 1800 / 1900 frequencies (used by T-Mobile and the rest of the world)
3620 = 850 / 1800 / 1900 frequencies (For AT&T)
3600 = 850 / 1900 frequencies (for Cingular)

If you want want a normal keypad and don't like the 36xx then wait for the 6600.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by galfert
Nope....Nokia is not replacing the 3650 with the 3620. The 3620 is being made for AT&T. 3650 will still be alaviable. And there are no pictures and no evidence that it will have normal keypad. There is a picture going around that looks to be a 3650 but with normal keypad but it is thought to be a fake. But this website http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=460 mentions that it might be a 3660.

3650 = 900 / 1800 / 1900 frequencies (used by T-Mobile and the rest of the world)
3620 = 850 / 1800 / 1900 frequencies (For AT&T)
3600 = 850 / 1900 frequencies (for Cingular)

If you want want a normal keypad and don't like the 36xx then wait for the 6600.
True, it is for AT&T. It is real, I saw it live, yesterday. Here is a picture of the phone taken with a 3650. The phone is supposed to be out in November.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:19 AM
Instructor

Since we are discussing Bluetooth phones, I'd like to get on my soapbox. For those of us in the USA we are being offered little if no choice in Bluetooth phones. I have Verizon now and they don't plan on offering a Bluetooth phone anytime soon. If I do buy a TL (and it looks likely that I will) I will have to switch to AT&T. I have written to Verizon and signed an on-line petition (go to www.petitiononline.com/ver123/petition.html), but they aren't doing anything.

Also it seems that most of the companies are putting Bluetooth on phones with cameras. It would be nice to have a phone with Blutooth alone (so far only AT&T offers the Siemens S56) all the rest have a camera. Of all the phones in the world, it seems like the American market gets the dregs. Just my opinion....

Thanks for letting me vent. Seriously.... if any of you out there are Verizon customers and are considering the TL, I would start now in trying to get Verizon to offer at least one Bluetooth phone. Their web site has two areas to send in suggestions.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:46 AM
Racer

EmuMessenger, Wow thanks for the picture. I can't believe it is true. Seeing is believing.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:52 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by mook
Since we are discussing Bluetooth phones, I'd like to get on my soapbox. For those of us in the USA we are being offered little if no choice in Bluetooth phones. I have Verizon now and they don't plan on offering a Bluetooth phone anytime soon. If I do buy a TL (and it looks likely that I will) I will have to switch to AT&T. I have written to Verizon and signed an on-line petition (go to www.petitiononline.com/ver123/petition.html), but they aren't doing anything.

Also it seems that most of the companies are putting Bluetooth on phones with cameras. It would be nice to have a phone with Blutooth alone (so far only AT&T offers the Siemens S56) all the rest have a camera. Of all the phones in the world, it seems like the American market gets the dregs. Just my opinion....

Thanks for letting me vent. Seriously.... if any of you out there are Verizon customers and are considering the TL, I would start now in trying to get Verizon to offer at least one Bluetooth phone. Their web site has two areas to send in suggestions.
If you are willing to pay the huge ($499) amount for the Kyocera 7135, you can get a Bluetooth SD module for it.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:15 PM
Race Director

I thought the S56 comes with a detachable camera?
Old 09-25-2003, 06:56 PM
Suzuka Master

EmuMessenger, Wow thanks for the picture. I can't believe it is true. Seeing is believing.
It is definitely real. Watch for a November release. It is just like the 3650, but it will also do 850 and have 64000 colors.

Keep your eyes peeled!

The Internet heard it here first!
Old 09-25-2003, 10:16 PM
Race Director

It is definitely real. Watch for a November release. It is just like the 3650, but it will also do 850 and have 64000 colors.

Keep your eyes peeled!

The Internet heard it here first!
LOL you guys are so amazed about the new Nokia phone :p

my phone already has 65k colors and world phone with tribands
Old 09-26-2003, 06:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by 2004TL
LOL you guys are so amazed about the new Nokia phone :p

my phone already has 65k colors and world phone with tribands
Is your phone a Nokia?

Here comes a big debate, but NO PHONE has a better menu system than Nokia!
Old 09-26-2003, 10:30 AM
Cruisin'

Does anyone knwo when will sprint be coming out with bluetooth?
I call sprint yesterday and they said they don;t know when the technology is coming out until a week before? is this true?

Please email me at paresh03@aol.com
Old 09-26-2003, 10:31 AM
Intermediate

I have two stupid questions.
I keep reading GP?S, C???, etc, whatever all of that means. I don't try to keep up with cell phones. As long as I can pick it up, make/receive a call, I don't care how it does it or works. So, with all of these letters floating around, I am a little confused.
Will all bluetooth enabled phones work with the new TL? If not, can someone point me to a link/website for information on what phones will work?
Also, since up to 6 phones can be "accepted" by the TL, will two phones be able to use the TL's system at the same time. In other words, say I have a phone in the car and my passenger has one two, both bluetooth enabled, will it see both or only one at a time?
Old 09-26-2003, 01:16 PM
Instructor

SporTrac

Those letters you are wondering about are the method that the phones use to communicate with the wireless network. Different companies use different network types.

I to am trying to find out what phones work with the TL. I would defininately wait until you know for sure what works with the TL before you buy one. The Acura info says it is compatible with phones that support the "hands free profile". Funny thing is I can't find that mentioned in any of the phone information I can find. Most just say they support Bluetooth, but no details beyond that. Also, some folks think a Bluetooth adapter (a module you plug into your phone's headset jack) will work, but I have my doubts about that. The TL can store phone numbers and from the pictures of the display, it will show signal strength and battery level. That is way more than a plug in Bluetooth adapter will do.

Hopefully once the cars get in the dealerships and folks start tinkering with the electronic goodies, we will get some more details on this.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:49 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Bluetooth Phone Listing

OK, here goes the Bluetooth phone List with Hands Free Profile from Nokia, Sony Ericsson and Motorolla (from thier customer service people). Unfortunately, sony/eric and motorola limited it to T-mobile offerings:

Motorolla:

We will have a Tmobile Blue Tooth capable phone out end of this year. The phone is called the v600. It is Quad-Band (850, 900, 1800 and 1900 Mhz) so it works around the world.

Sony Ericsson:

T610 uses GSM 900/1800/1900
T616 uses GSM 850/1800/1900

Nokia (the most helpful and for all cell providers):

The Nokia phones that are GSM and Bluetooth capable are listed as follows:

Nokia 3600 phone

Nokia 3620 phone

Nokia 3650 phone

Nokia 3660 phone

Nokia 6310i phone

Nokia N-Gage game deck

for your own carriers, use the cell phone companyr e-mail form on thier web sites.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:34 PM
10th Gear

SporTrac

Those letters you are wondering about are the method that the phones use to communicate with the wireless network. Different companies use different network types.

I to am trying to find out what phones work with the TL. I would defininately wait until you know for sure what works with the TL before you buy one. The Acura info says it is compatible with phones that support the "hands free profile". Funny thing is I can't find that mentioned in any of the phone information I can find. Most just say they support Bluetooth, but no details beyond that. Also, some folks think a Bluetooth adapter (a module you plug into your phone's headset jack) will work, but I have my doubts about that. The TL can store phone numbers and from the pictures of the display, it will show signal strength and battery level. That is way more than a plug in Bluetooth adapter will do.

Hopefully once the cars get in the dealerships and folks start tinkering with the electronic goodies, we will get some more details on this.
As far as I know, any phone that utilizes bluetooth should work with the TL. All cell phones have some sort of headset profile, but is usually connected with a cord. The bluetooth models allow a wireless connection to a bluetooth headset like the one from Jabra. I have used this with two different phones - the Sony Ericsson T68i and Siemens S56 and it worked pretty well. The TL implementation is basically an extension of this. First, it is a hands-free speakerphone. But the bluetooth implementation on cell phones allows for more than just voice transmission - data can be exchanged also. This is how the display on the dash is possible along with the ability of the Navigation system to tell the phone to dial a number. As far as using a bluetooth adapter - I think this probably allow the speakerphone function, but nothing more. Like you said, it will be interesting when we get some hands-on reports. I know I'll be at the dealer on Oct 6 with my S56 in hand.....
Old 09-26-2003, 03:41 PM
10th Gear

Re: Bluetooth Phone Listing

Originally posted by need4spd
OK, here goes the Bluetooth phone List with Hands Free Profile from Nokia, Sony Ericsson and Motorolla (from thier customer service people). Unfortunately, sony/eric and motorola limited it to T-mobile offerings:

Motorolla:

We will have a Tmobile Blue Tooth capable phone out end of this year. The phone is called the v600. It is Quad-Band (850, 900, 1800 and 1900 Mhz) so it works around the world.

Sony Ericsson:

T610 uses GSM 900/1800/1900
T616 uses GSM 850/1800/1900

Nokia (the most helpful and for all cell providers):

The Nokia phones that are GSM and Bluetooth capable are listed as follows:

Nokia 3600 phone

Nokia 3620 phone

Nokia 3650 phone

Nokia 3660 phone

Nokia 6310i phone

Nokia N-Gage game deck

for your own carriers, use the cell phone companyr e-mail form on thier web sites.
ATT has the following (all GSM):
Siemens S56
Sony Ericsson T616, P800 and T68i (older model though still available)
Nokia 3650

Mark
Old 09-26-2003, 04:31 PM
Advanced

Yeah I am on the same boat you are. I am currently with Verizon and I also called, but like you said...i dont think they will come out with Bluetooth enabled phones.

Question: I understand Sony makes phones with blue tooth. Is it possible to buy one of them and use it with Verizon..i dont think so but just wanted to ask.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Sprint is supposed to have the Sony t608, soon. I think.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:20 AM
Instructor

From what I have read, the Canadian TL does not come standard with the blue tooth system. It only comes with the navi package or the dynamic package. I still bought one. Have been promised one of the first ones the dealer gets. I have ordered silver and that is first off the line I'm told.
Old 09-27-2003, 04:23 PM
Instructor

Sprint is supposed to have the Sony t608, soon. I think.
Sony Ericsson *used* to have the T608 on their website under "Coming Soon" section. It is no longer there.

I would like to move to Sprint, but can't find a CDMA Bluetooth phone.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:43 AM
Instructor

A quick update on the phones that are compatible....

I went to my local dealer and they gave me a copy of the instructions provided with the TL to sync a phone with the handsfree system. The instructions were for the Sony Ericson T68i and T610, Nokia 3650 and one other Nokia 65xx that I don't remember the exact model number and the Siemens S56. So we know those work for sure. As posted earlier AT&T has all these models, I would expect to see a lot of TL owners going to AT&T if they current company doesn't offer a compatible phone.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:01 PM
Intermediate

Do you know what carrier is planning to provide Nokia 6600 in the US?
Old 10-17-2003, 11:49 PM
Advanced

Since we're on the topic of cell phones, a great site to note is www.phonescoop.com. They've got all the latest and greatest on new and upcoming phones as well as links to some others.

Another good site to note is www.mobileburn.com

PS> I LOVE gadgets too!
Old 10-18-2003, 01:27 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
just bye a bluetooth phone and have the carrier program it for there system. No biggie, and service will work its just the phone
Old 10-18-2003, 07:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by denix
Do you know what carrier is planning to provide Nokia 6600 in the US?
The 36xx will be available with a normal keypad within 30-40 days.

Do not hold your breath for the 6600. Probably next June.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:30 AM
Instructor

I assume that everyone has seen the list of compatible phones from Axura's website? If not: http://www.acura.com/models/model_co...asp?module=tl#

Are you you Verizon people getting the same lame excuse that I am receiving? Something about "Bluetooth not working with the network"?
Old 10-18-2003, 04:36 PM
Instructor

Bluetooth not working with the network? What? Bluetooth has nothing to do with the way a phone communicates with the cellular network. Sounds like BS from someone that knows nothing about it.

All I can say is I will continue to ask Verizon about getting a Bluetooth phone until my contact is up (next March). If they don't get me what I want, I switch. They have no excuse for this and they just won't get my business any more if they don't have what I want. Giving phoney (no pun intended) excuses for not having Bluetooth is just plain sad.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:53 AM
1st Gear

Ok, I can't find any clear answer anywhere online about whether the Kyocera 7135 can work with the TL via a Palm Bluetooth SD or MMC. Anyone know?
Old 10-29-2003, 10:11 AM
Instructor

As far as I know, Palm devices with a bluetooth card won't work with the TL. You need to have the "handsfree link" capability that is special programming in the phone that communicates via Bluetooth.

Most of the memory card based Bluetooth modules are only capable of sync-ing with a PC, communicating with other Bluetooth PDAs and perhaps printing to a Bluetooth enabled printer.

I've not seen anything on these Bluetooth modules being capable of use with handsfree link or even a Bluetooth headset.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:13 AM
Instructor

Does anybody know if a SE P800 will work on the TL?
Old 10-29-2003, 10:37 AM
Suzuka Master

The 36xx will be available with a normal keypad within 30-40 days.

Do not hold your breath for the 6600. Probably next June.
Latest word on the street says AT&T will have the 3620 on 11/24.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:23 PM
Racer

Oh that magical 11/24 date I bet a lot of people can't wait till that date comes up. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:59 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
There seems to be a lot of you planning on switching wireless carriers. Nov 24th is the deadline for all wireless carriers to offer number portability which alllows you to keep your phone number should you switch carriers. There may be a cost with keeping that number.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Cingular offers the t-616 and doesnt overlay their own crappy menu system like T-Mobile. You can also pic up an unlocked t68i for cheap on E-bay. Actually for any GSM customers out there, Cingular (Most markets), T-Mobile and AT&T (m-life or next gen) just buy an unlocked GSM phone with Bluetooth on e-bay
Old 10-30-2003, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Cingular offers the t-616 and doesnt overlay their own crappy menu system like T-Mobile. You can also pic up an unlocked t68i for cheap on E-bay. Actually for any GSM customers out there, Cingular (Most markets), T-Mobile and AT&T (m-life or next gen) just buy an unlocked GSM phone with Bluetooth on e-bay

Quick Reply: Bluetooth and DVD-Audio