Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Leather Care?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 07:45 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Leather Care?

Anyone know based on actual use or consumer reports, which are the best cleaning and conditioners on the market? Also, are the some guidelines for what to avoid? (e.g., I thought someone mentioned alcohol content of the product, not the driver, was a factor.)

Thanks!

CF
Old 01-24-2004, 09:01 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Best Leather Care?

Originally posted by ChicagoFraize
Anyone know based on actual use or consumer reports, which are the best cleaning and conditioners on the market? Also, are the some guidelines for what to avoid? (e.g., I thought someone mentioned alcohol content of the product, not the driver, was a factor.)

Thanks!

CF
Actual use, yes - Lexol is my favorite and in my opinion the best leather care product offered. To each their own I guess but it's pretty darn good.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:20 AM
Banned

Lexol, Pinnacle, & Zaino are the top three among many car buffs.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:39 AM
10th Gear

Lexol....then I read this

Leather Maintenance

The most important factor that affects the life of leather is cleanliness. You should try to keep all of the leather in your car as clean as possible. At least once per month, you should wipe the leather with a damp cloth and pat it dry with a soft cotton diaper. Tiny dirt particles rubbed into the surface of the leather will make it shiny and eventually thin the leather and cause cracks. Keeping the leather surface clean will prevent this. After you wipe the leather down, make sure you dry it completely. Every 6 months, you should treat the leather with Spinneybeck Leather Conditioner. Every 12 months, you should treat the leather with Spinneybeck Leather Cleaner, followed by a treatment of Conditioner. The Spinneybeck leather maintenance products were specifically designed for the leathers we use on all LeatherZ products, and they will work equally well on your factory leather. The 6 and 12 month intervals are a general guideline. If you live near the ocean or in a dusty climate, you may need to condition and clean more frequently. If you keep your convertible top down and the leather is exposed to sun for extended periods, you may need to condition more frequently. Leather covered shift knobs and steering wheels often need more attention because they are touched so frequently. It is possible to over-condition or over-clean your leather. This will lead to premature cracking and discoloration! Most leathers are treated at the tannery with a protective coating to help protect against staining. Excessive cleaning and conditioning can remove some of the protective properties. The basic rule in leather care is: less is more. We always carry a small spray bottle of water and a clean diaper in our cars. If you ever spill something onto your leather, spray the affected area and wipe it with the diaper as soon as possible. As soon as it is convenient, you should treat the affected area with leather conditioner.

We do not reccommend Lexol products for M Nappa or other full-grain leathers. Lexol has lead to leather turning sticky in some cases. Don't take chances. If for some reason you don't want to buy the Spinneybeck leather care kit we sell, use Connolly products. Next to Spinneybeck, theirs are the only products that we endorse.

I got this info from bimmerfest. Here is a link to the company that put out this info:

http://www.leatherz.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv
Old 01-24-2004, 10:44 AM
Banned

Re: Lexol....then I read this

Leather Maintenance

use Connolly products. Next to Spinneybeck, theirs are the only products that we endorse.

[/url] [/B]
It must be old or uninformed info since the original Connolly went under. That is the reason I didn't mention their high quality leather conditioner, Connoly Food Hide which is very hard to find now.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:02 AM
10th Gear

Yeah....but what of the part about Lexol making leather "sticky?"

CF
Old 01-24-2004, 11:06 AM
Banned

CF
I haven't experienced that, but I only use Lexol for light colored leather, and not their regular formula. The one designed not to darken leather with neetsfoot oil. The conditioner I use for just about everything else is Pinnacle.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:15 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

CF
I've been using Lexol on my cars and my parents use Lexol as well - no stickiness issue here.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:38 PM
1st Gear

Leatherique!!!!! by far the best (and expensive)...

go to leatherique.com and you will be sold.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:29 PM
Instructor

I found Lexol to be a good buy at polsteins.com. Only $5.99 (spray bottle) each for the cleaner or the conditioner.