Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best insurance company??

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 02:33 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best insurance company??

I'm not sure if this question belongs to here?? if not... plz forgive me~~ but it a last barrier that i have to get over to get 05TL!!!

I'm almost buying 05TL/Navi/Siver but I just found out that my insurance rate is going to be much higher than what I expected. I had an accident at my fault a few month ago (its the only accident I have). Before the accident my wife and I had paid about $500/6mo for the 98Camry in Farmers. But I got a qout about $2.3k/6mo for the two cars, 98'Camry and 05'TL, which will be almost $5k a year. Can you guys recommend best insurance company with low rate and "A" or better rated?? OR other ways to lower my insurance rate?? I'm almost getting there, one step left~~ HELP ~~
Old 10-30-2004, 04:40 AM
Racer

try progressive

currently i use geico but i plan to switch to progressive
Old 10-30-2004, 07:29 AM
Intermediate

I've been with liberty mutual for several years. I've tried many times to get cheaper rates elsewhere but liberty mutual has always ended cheaper than the others.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have great news I just saved a bunch of money on car insurance by switching to GEICO.

I'm only paying $103.00 a month not a bad deal plus I'm 25 yrs old and a male.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:05 AM
Pro

Call Nationwide Insurance...I've had them for 21 years and they've been great!
Old 10-30-2004, 08:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BadgerNation
I've been with liberty mutual for several years. I've tried many times to get cheaper rates elsewhere but liberty mutual has always ended cheaper than the others.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:52 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
State Farm.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:41 PM
Systems Overlord

It really depends on many factors including age, gender, location, type of car, how long you have been with the company, etc. I personally have had Allstate for 12 years and have my homeowners with them so I get a multy policy discount along with a preferred customer rate. I received quotes from a few companies recently and Geico actually beat Allstate by about $50 a year. Progressive wanted almost $6K a year for my 2005TL and 2000 Maxima (full coverage), more than double what I currently pay. Call as many companies as possible for quotes to get the best price.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:51 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Allstate is good in my area
Old 10-30-2004, 01:24 PM
Intermediate

USAA is great, but you can't just get an account with them. You, or somebody in your immediate family has to be/have been in the military.

I will be paying $500 every 6 months with them when I get my TL in Nov. And I'm only 24.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:31 PM
Racer

Take a defensive driving course. Most insurance companies will give you a 10-15% discount on the collision portion of your coverage.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:52 PM
Racer

Most people equate "cheapest" insurance to "best." However, all else being equal, a "cheaper" company is also going to pay you less for a claim. In other words, if you go for low-bid, you just might be getting what you pay for.

However, the "all else being equal" part is the trouble spot. Things that can vary between companies are:
Profit level
Costs of doing business - companies with local agents have higher costs, however, those local agents can also help you out sometimes
Types of drivers they insure and their rate structure - do you have to help pay for the 16 year olds, or are their discounts better for older drivers?
Does the company try to run you to preferred shops and want you to use non-OEM parts? That might not be in your best interest, but it keeps costs down.

So a cheaper company CAN be better. I'm just saying low bid isn't necessarily the only consideration. (Just like with buying transportation).
Old 10-30-2004, 02:28 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As prolanman said, there are a great many factors that govern what your rates are, so what others pay may not be a valid guide. For example, I also am with Farmers and my rate for the TL is $820/year which is a lot different than your quote. I do have several policies with Farmers, had no accidents or tickets. and have been with them for about 30 yrs.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DeeW
USAA is great, but you can't just get an account with them. You, or somebody in your immediate family has to be/have been in the military....
Couldn't agree more about how well USAA treats their members. I've been with them for 20+ years and can't imagine ever switching. If you can qualify (military, etc.), I would highly recommend them.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:49 PM
Awesome to the Max

are you insured? by survival? I can't take that ride..
Old 10-30-2004, 07:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Check your phone book for a Horace Mann Insurance agent. This company has been around since 1926 but not too many people outside of the education industry know about it. They used to sell to educators exclusively but are now selling policies to the general public like Geico did for govt. people. They offer the best prices (at least in my case) and their claims department (courtesy of my daughter and her Saturn - not my TL) was also top-notch. Can't hurt to try.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:36 PM
Yes, he did that

Liberty Mutual is excellent if your record is clean. They give great rates for secondary drivers, especially young ones.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:58 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Brokedoc
Take a defensive driving course. Most insurance companies will give you a 10-15% discount on the collision portion of your coverage.

Does the defensive driving course really help my one accident record??? What is the "defensive driving course" and where can I get the information about this? Do most insurance companies admit the course??
Old 10-30-2004, 08:08 PM
Intermediate

1. what is the difference between "A" rated and "B" rated insurance company?
2. Is the "B" rated company not recommended??
3. what make the "B' companies not so good?
4. where can I get information about the rating on insurance companies?

5. anyone know about AIG and Infinity insurance companies?

Thanks~
Old 10-30-2004, 09:26 PM
Advanced

I agree, Liberty Mutual has great rates. I've had them for years. And then I found out about American Express Car Insurance through the Costco program. I save a cool $150-$200 per year with slightly better coverage even and they are real easy to get via phone. Check it out if you have Costco around in your area.

Lastly, for you GEICO holders, I just have one thing to say. GEICO owns the largest radar gun manufacturer and practically gives these radar guns away to police departments because they know that with the extra tickets written, they make it up on the insurance end and then some. So, if you have an alternative to GEICO, ... RUN.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:28 PM
Intermediate

Let me start by saying that I am a State Farm agt and I feel State Farm is the way to go!!!

With that said so many things go into establishing your rate. Age, where you live, how many miles you drive your car to work,etc. The other main issue is coverages. I can give you a low rate but it may not cover all of your needs. In today's society so many people feel they hit the lottery if they are hit by someone driving a nice car, so make sure your liability limits are high enough to cover all of your assets.

State Farm, as well as most other companies, use some form of your credit history along with your driving record and loss history to establish your rate. If this one accident is the only thing on your record and some of your credit characteristics are high enough then State Farm may be able to "waive" the at fault accident and place you in the preferred company. I write a lot of my new business on good risks who have had a recent loss and their old company started charging them more. However, with a high score we have been able to ignore they ever had the accident and give them a great rate. So State Farm will be worth a call.

I suggest finding a local agent who you can start a long relationship with. At claim time it is nice to have someone who you can call directly to help you through the claims process instead of having to go through recordings, confusing menus, and unanswered voicemails.

I could go on and on but I hope these things will help answer your question.

Good Luck!!
Old 10-31-2004, 01:16 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by the4chews
Let me start by saying that I am a State Farm agt and I feel State Farm is the way to go!!!

With that said so many things go into establishing your rate. Age, where you live, how many miles you drive your car to work,etc. The other main issue is coverages. I can give you a low rate but it may not cover all of your needs. In today's society so many people feel they hit the lottery if they are hit by someone driving a nice car, so make sure your liability limits are high enough to cover all of your assets.

State Farm, as well as most other companies, use some form of your credit history along with your driving record and loss history to establish your rate. If this one accident is the only thing on your record and some of your credit characteristics are high enough then State Farm may be able to "waive" the at fault accident and place you in the preferred company. I write a lot of my new business on good risks who have had a recent loss and their old company started charging them more. However, with a high score we have been able to ignore they ever had the accident and give them a great rate. So State Farm will be worth a call.

I suggest finding a local agent who you can start a long relationship with. At claim time it is nice to have someone who you can call directly to help you through the claims process instead of having to go through recordings, confusing menus, and unanswered voicemails.

I could go on and on but I hope these things will help answer your question.

Good Luck!!

I called State Farm and told that I have one accident record. The agent I talked to said I'm not quailified because of the accident!! He didn't even quot and he didn't want to talked to anymore even though it was not a big or seriouse accident.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:36 AM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I contacted, GEICO, Progressive, State Farm, and 1 or 2 others about insuring my TL. In my area, they were all asking from $750-$1000 per 6 months. I got a Costco card and called up AMEX. Costco/AMEX got me the same insurance for around $630 or so per 6 months. I'm not even sure you need the Costco card... they never asked me about it.

BTW, I had been with State Farm since I was a kid (around 18 years). They wanted more than anybody else - around $1000 per 6 months.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:08 AM
Intermediate

Miny- Try a different agent's office. Maybe CA rules are different than OK, but I do not think so. If you give me your zip code I can try to find you a good agent to talk with.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:59 AM
Cruisin'

If anyone is looking for insurance on Long Island, NY or in the NYC metro area, I strongly recommend you give Rich Grillo a call at 516-798-0320. He is a Nationwide agent, and has been mine for years now. He will be honest enough to tell you whether he can beat your current insurance (for the same coverage amount or more) rate right over the phone. His agency has been extremely responsive recently, when one of my other cars was stolen.

In any event, for all you who can get something on your policy called "underinsurance" and "uninsurance" (which covers you if someone else is responsible for an accident with either no or insufficient insurance coverage), I strongly suggest you "max out" your coverage in these two areas. It is really cheap to do so, compared to the rest of what you are buying insurance for. And you wont be sorry when you need the coverage.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:51 AM
Awesome to the Max

doesn't state farm have really good lawyers?
Old 10-31-2004, 07:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by miny
Does the defensive driving course really help my one accident record??? What is the "defensive driving course" and where can I get the information about this? Do most insurance companies admit the course??
Some people take defensive driving courses to "negate" points on their licenses but I haven't been in an accident in my almost 15 years of driving and still benefit from the percentage discount that GEICO gives me.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:49 PM
Intermediate

If you're a member of Costco, they have a program with American Express Insurance. In Orange County, CA, with a combined homeowner/auto policy, their prices were considerably less expensive for the exact same coverages than Farmers, State Farm, Auto Club, and GEICO. Check them out if you're a Costco member.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:52 PM
Banned

i did not get in on this thread.... but i'll jump in now.

i was with Geico for 6+ years, no claims and no tickets.

when i got my TL i shopped around (TL was 3rd car on policy). Allstate gave me same/more coverage and saved me the cost of TL (it cost me the same for 3 cars on Allstate as it did with 2 on Geico).
Old 10-31-2004, 08:12 PM
Pro

Amica.

I have had them for many years for almost all my insurance needs. They are almost as inexpensive as Geico, but their customer service/claims seems to be better.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:50 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by TL Boris
Lastly, for you GEICO holders, I just have one thing to say. GEICO owns the largest radar gun manufacturer and practically gives these radar guns away to police departments because they know that with the extra tickets written, they make it up on the insurance end and then some. So, if you have an alternative to GEICO, ... RUN.
I don't agree about Geico - I think they're pretty decent. I've had to get a few comprehensive claims and they've never offered any resistance. In fact, their adjuster at a local body shop made sure that the dent I had in my car was repaired to my satisfaction by getting the paint for the entire area properly done, even though this 1) probably wasn't entirely necessary and 2) cost them a lot more money than I anticipated.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:51 PM
Pro

I have esurance.com, I saved alot with them
Old 11-01-2004, 01:45 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by flying_dutchman
If you're a member of Costco, they have a program with American Express Insurance. In Orange County, CA, with a combined homeowner/auto policy, their prices were considerably less expensive for the exact same coverages than Farmers, State Farm, Auto Club, and GEICO. Check them out if you're a Costco member.

I Am a Costco member and I tried to get a quote through the Costco website. But the result through the online search was that I'm not eligible for their insurance because of my ONE accident record... No way to get in with the accident record??

anyone has insured with any accident record? What is your rate?
Old 11-01-2004, 07:51 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I've been with State Farm since 1989 and have always been satisfied; I also placed my homeowner's coverage with them so I benefit from the multiple lines discount. True, they may not be the cheapest, but as someone already said, "cheapest" and "best" are not the same thing. I have known people who have gone with GEICO to save money on the premiums and then, when they get hit for a claim of more than a few hundred bucks, GEICO has dropped them. On the other hand, back in 1999 I was at fault in a three-car accident that led to State Farm paying out some $16,000. My premium went up, of course, but they didn't drop me.

One thing to note is that with State Farm your experience may differ depending on your agent. If you don't like a particular agent, shop around.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:27 AM
Cruisin'

Erie Insurance has always had the best rates for me. $1106 a year for 05 TL lease. 100/300k, $500 collision and $250 comprehensive deductable. I'm 29.

They are only available in some Northeast and Midatlantic states and they have an exellent/superior rating.

http://www.erieinsurance.com/

I just wanted to add that my wife's car is on there too, so we do get about a 10% discount 'cause of the 2 cars.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:36 AM
Intermediate

well every thing comes down to comparing coverage apples to apples. I have only had two insurance companies, my first being liberty mutual, and now Geico. I was with LM only because my parents are with LM and have home and life insurance with them, getting the entire package. When i turned 18, LM said that I could not be under my family's plan, and I need to go alone. I then shopped many different companies... ending up with Geico. I have been with them for quite some time and save money with the "professionals" discount. You also can save $ by owning Birkshire Hathaway shares. They are always curtious and answer the phone within 3 rings or less. I dont mind paying a slight bit more for good customer service. I have had two friends move from 21st insurance to geico simply because of customerservice. And the rates between the two companies are almost the same!!!
Old 11-04-2004, 08:15 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lore
I don't agree about Geico - I think they're pretty decent. I've had to get a few comprehensive claims and they've never offered any resistance. In fact, their adjuster at a local body shop made sure that the dent I had in my car was repaired to my satisfaction by getting the paint for the entire area properly done, even though this 1) probably wasn't entirely necessary and 2) cost them a lot more money than I anticipated.

I'm sure GEICO is fine - but just know that they financially support cops issuing speeding tickets, and we all know what that does to rates. For me, that means I'll never use them.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:30 AM

$ 92 dollars /month ----->commerce Insurance

i'm 23-drive 2000 TL --->no tickets
----> 2 accidents weren't my fault.

oh yeah and full coverage too, with 500 dductable...
tha only thing i don't get is a rental car if i get into an accident and it was my fault...i chose not to though...
COMMERCE IS A GOOD WAY TO GO...IMHO
Old 11-04-2004, 09:32 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Means17TL
$ 92 dollars /month ----->commerce Insurance

i'm 23-drive 2000 TL --->no tickets
----> 2 accidents weren't my fault.

oh yeah and full coverage too, with 500 dductable...
tha only thing i don't get is a rental car if i get into an accident and it was my fault...i chose not to though...
COMMERCE IS A GOOD WAY TO GO...IMHO

Full coverage?
Old 11-04-2004, 10:41 AM

yes

Quick Reply: Best insurance company??