Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery (again) - parasitic drain......

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 07:44 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery (again) - parasitic drain......

My 1 month old TL (vin 38k) experienced the dead battery situation this week Acura replaced Delco unit with an Acura part number (a substantial looking 60 month item). Original battery dropped to 4.7 v overnight [without the security system on] as if it had a dead short (e.g. if something like a power seat motor were stuck in the on position). However with the new battery I'm seeing an overnight loss of about .1 v - does anyone have any insight into what the parasitic losses on a modern vehicle should average? With only a 65 amp/hour battery - and assuming we need about 1/2 capacity to start - anything over about 50 ma and these cars are not likely to crank after a few weeks at the airport.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:51 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Acura issued a TSB No. 021004 this past February regarding dead batteries. Might be worth your while to follow up on this with your dealer.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:30 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by bluenose
Acura issued a TSB No. 021004 this past February regarding dead batteries. Might be worth your while to follow up on this with your dealer.
Really - Does anyone have the text of this TSB?

My car cranks quite oddly - sometimes it starts right up after the first crank, sometimes it has to go for about 3 seconds, and sometimes it doesn't start at all and I have to re-crank the car.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdmontgomery
My 1 month old TL (vin 38k) experienced the dead battery situation this week Acura replaced Delco unit with an Acura part number (a substantial looking 60 month item). Original battery dropped to 4.7 v overnight [without the security system on] as if it had a dead short (e.g. if something like a power seat motor were stuck in the on position). However with the new battery I'm seeing an overnight loss of about .1 v - does anyone have any insight into what the parasitic losses on a modern vehicle should average? With only a 65 amp/hour battery - and assuming we need about 1/2 capacity to start - anything over about 50 ma and these cars are not likely to crank after a few weeks at the airport.
I had a very similar problem as well. About 1 month into ownership, the battery in my car would not start. Since the car is only driven on the weekends, it was a concern to me since this should not be happening to a new car. I brought the car into the dealership and replaced the battery. They claim that they checked for any short circuits and stated that they could not find anything. I did not check to see if they gave me a more heavy duty battery or if it was replaced with another Delco battery. I guess I'll find out in a month to see if this problem occurs again. Otherwise, the car works great! Fortunate enough to not have any weird noises or rattles...although I have not tried to see if the car makes a loud rattling noise if you close the door with the windows half way down...
Old 05-28-2004, 12:50 PM
Cruisin'

..thanks for the info - I'll try to acquire and post TSB

(note to smiranda69: when you check battery be careful when removing cover - the left side tab is easy to break, Just lift assembly straight upwards)
Old 05-28-2004, 01:02 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I wish you would have told that to whoever jumped my car before I picked it up - cover was broken (tab).

Originally Posted by cdmontgomery
..thanks for the info - I'll try to acquire and post TSB

(note to smiranda69: when you check battery be careful when removing cover - the left side tab is easy to break, Just lift assembly straight upwards)
Old 05-28-2004, 01:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Lore
Originally Posted by bluenose
Really - Does anyone have the text of this TSB?

My car cranks quite oddly - sometimes it starts right up after the first crank, sometimes it has to go for about 3 seconds, and sometimes it doesn't start at all and I have to re-crank the car.

I think bluenose is talking about this over NHTSA TSB database. I'm not sure if this is the official Acura dealership TSB though.

Make : ACURA Model : TL Year : 2004
Service Bulletin Num : 021004 Date of Bulletin: FEB 10, 2004
NHTSA Item Number: 10006747
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:BATTERY
Summary:
BATTERY FAILURE. REQUEST FOR VISIT. *TT