Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bastards can't figure it out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 03:47 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bastards can't figure it out.

Well, my check engine light has been on from the time I got my car. Don't get me wrong, the car is great, but as many of you know I am getting very poor (<20) MPG due to whatever problem it is. I love the car, and the MPG doesn't really bother me except for the fact that I should be seeing MUCH higher numbers so it will suck in the long-run. Anyway, the first time it was in they couldn't fix it so they ordered a part, they put the part in today but it didn't fix the problem so they're keeping it overnight. I have nothing against the quality of Acura because this car is well built inside and out, its just my engine had to have this problem so I have to deal with it. Not necessarily a bad thing either... two more times in the shop for the same problem and I get a brand new one anyway.

I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:52 PM
Safety Car

20mpg what is your average mph?
Old 06-15-2004, 04:00 PM

It varies. I was getting like 16-19MPG yesterday on the highway with no traffic.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:10 PM
Racer

That's way too low even if you beat the snot out of it.

I would tell them to figure out what's wrong or give you a new one.
You got lemon laws in NY?
Old 06-15-2004, 04:13 PM

Yes, thats why I said in my post that they have 2 more shots and then I get a new one. The new car lemon law in NY is 4 or more repairs for the same problem OR 30+ calendar days in the shop fixing differnet problems for any car under 18k miles and 24 months old.

Also, I figure that IF it happens (theres a chance it might, my dad seemed pissed, but they might fix it) I would just take a full refund and buy a brand new one since they have the right to give me a new car with just the same make and model and similar mileage (basically they could give me a 2004 TL thats been used). I don't want to really get all excited about getting another car because they may just as well fix it. And while it would be cool to get a new one, it would also be a huge pain in the ass. Whatever happens, happens.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Stewie
That's way too low even if you beat the snot out of it.

I would tell them to figure out what's wrong or give you a new one.
You got lemon laws in NY?
well 16-19mpg if you have the accelerator planted and drive real agressively is about right. but if you are cruising at highway speeds you should do better than that. the average mph is a good indication of how much traffic was encountered. on most days i hit traffic in the city and my average is around 25mph. i get about 22-24mpg from my daily driving. when i am in the city my average speed is like 15mph and i get like 15mpg.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:34 PM

It was at night at my average MPH was like 70.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:32 PM

So anyway I'll find out tomorrow whats up with the car.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:34 PM
Life is good.

I'm getting an average of 18 MPG, I think it's because I drive a little too fast tho.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:34 PM
Life is good.

My baby has been in the shop for the last 2 weeks for tranny replacement. I miss it so much!
Old 06-15-2004, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by 2004MT6TL
I'm getting an average of 18 MPG, I think it's because I drive a little too fast tho.
Driving fast wouldn't give you 18MPG... You'd get 18MPG if you were frequently flooring it and then breaking. Basically just keeping RPMs high ALL the time and never being at a cruising speed.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:56 PM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GaleForce
Driving fast wouldn't give you 18MPG... You'd get 18MPG if you were frequently flooring it and then breaking. Basically just keeping RPMs high ALL the time and never being at a cruising speed.
GaleForce is right.

GaleForce: Which dealer is working on your TL?
Old 06-15-2004, 07:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Admire you for the way you've dealt with this case...

Well, my check engine light has been on from the time I got my car. Don't get me wrong, the car is great, but as many of you know I am getting very poor (<20) MPG due to whatever problem it is. I love the car, and the MPG doesn't really bother me except for the fact that I should be seeing MUCH higher numbers so it will suck in the long-run. Anyway, the first time it was in they couldn't fix it so they ordered a part, they put the part in today but it didn't fix the problem so they're keeping it overnight. I have nothing against the quality of Acura because this car is well built inside and out, its just my engine had to have this problem so I have to deal with it. Not necessarily a bad thing either... two more times in the shop for the same problem and I get a brand new one anyway.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Sorry to hear that your dealer cannot fix your engine in the first try after having the replacement parts ready. I believe your car is the first one having this typical issue in their dealership, which usually would take lil longer to figure out.

After reading your replies above, I found you have pretty decent and optimistic attitude toward this whole thing. Good luck to you.

Hope your MIL issue is just caused by another sensor or controlling chip that your dealership ain't discovering in the first scene.

:o
Old 06-15-2004, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by 6mtV6
GaleForce is right.

GaleForce: Which dealer is working on your TL?

Rallye Acura in Roslyn. They treat me like a second class citizen because I am 17. I am old enough to buy one of their cars yet they can't treat me like a customer once I gave them my money.

Originally Posted by rets
Sorry to hear that your dealer cannot fix your engine in the first try after having the replacement parts ready. I believe your car is the first one having this typical issue in their dealership, which usually would take lil longer to figure out.

After reading your replies above, I found you have pretty decent and optimistic attitude toward this whole thing. Good luck to you.

Well, this is the first time with the part, second time in the shop. The first visit better count towards the four because if they don't fix it after they order the next part I don't want to have to go back and forth another two times. Doesn't matter (and I am not saying you're saying it does) if they didn't have a part to fix it the first visit, they couldn't repair it and there is a service reciept.

Anyway, I am very optimistic. I love my Acura I just hate this problem. To be honest if it turns into a lemon I'll probably take a refund and buy another TL (instead of opting for a comparable car since they can give me a used one with the same miles). Maybe even save a couple of bucks since the 2005 is coming out soon and probably won't offer anything new over the 2004. Perhaps get it in stick this time around. Who knows, like I said above, whatever happens, happens. I don't dislike Acura because of this, and I don't dislike my dealer for this because they are just doing what they can... I dislike them for treating me poorly. Like I said above, a 17 year old has the money to buy a car and they'll do everything to make you buy it, but once the 17 year old owns the car they feel like they have no obligation to give them the same benefits all other customers get. Either way, and this is like the third time I am saying it, the TL is an awesome car and I would 99% get another one if I had to.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:36 PM
Racer

You're really only 17???

I'll give you credit, you have good posts for someone so young.

Anyway, I hope you get your car back soon. Let us know what happens.
How come no six-speed? ;-)
Old 06-15-2004, 08:43 PM

Yes, I'm only 17. Didn't get 6 speed because I kind of talked myself out of it for whatever reason. I didn't know how to drive stick (which isn't the reason I didn't get it) so I had my dad test drive the auto and the manual and let me know what he thought. He told me that the automatic shifted perfectly and all... and like I said, I talked myself out of it with all the traffic and lights around here. Now that I am driving more I kind of wish I had it. I put it in tiptronic sometimes, and it shifts quickly and stuff, but its just too "easy" and unrealistic that I really don't feel like I have control over the gears.

Also, if I got 6MT and DIDN'T like it or thought it was a pain for around here I would be screwed. At least with the automatic you don't have to worry about it causing annoyances for frequent shifting, and you do have the SS option. I'm not saying I would regret the 6MT (I would prefer it now) but at the time when I was buying it I had to measure the pros and cons of both and it came down to the fact that if I didn't like MT I would be screwed and if I wanted something more out of the AT at least I could still enjoy the car.

If the car is a lemon I'll probably get it in six speed. Wouldn't be for a while though, and like I said above, its going to be a major pain in the ass to go through all the lemon law procedures. So whatever happens, happens. I'll be happy either way.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:25 PM
10th Gear

I had gas mileage problems early on but I've got nearly 9K - 10K miles on my '04 auto trainy and I'm averaging mid 20's with very aggressive driving. It improves as the car breaks in.

Blue 04 TL, Camel, deck spoiler
Old 06-15-2004, 09:30 PM

Even so, I've been reading about cars with less than 500 miles getting MUCH better mileage than me. And moreso, I still have the check engine light and that, to me, reduces the value of the car because who is going to buy a car that is blatantly saying it has a problem with the engine? The whole argument with the lemon law (I did my research) is that the problem is either a) causing signifigant problems where the vehicle is hard to use or b) causing the value of the car to decrease. Right now, for me, its both. If they can fix it, the more power to them.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:36 PM
Instructor

I"ve gotten as high as 32mpg on the open road and average about 20-24. No question there is something wrong with yours. It's strange with computers and the diagnostic codes the 'check engine' light gives out, that they can't figure out what's wrong.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Ha!

I baby mine- still breaking it in. I get 17 around town averaging about 25 MPH.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:10 PM

The light has been on since u bought the car? I'd spend less time posting and more time trying to get the engine light fixed.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:33 PM
Life is good.

Originally Posted by xpditor42
I've noticed that after about 1000 miles, the gas mileage gets better.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:35 PM
Life is good.

...that's what I mean by driving fast, if I drove like an old lady I'd get better gas mileage, but I don't, I drive fast, therefore gas mileage goes down. Your parents buy you the car, if so, that's cool, wish I had parents like that!
Old 06-16-2004, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The light has been on since u bought the car? I'd spend less time posting and more time trying to get the engine light fixed.
I'm doing everything I can. I don't have the car at my house, thats for sure. Its in the shop.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:01 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 1400 miles on my TL that will be 4 weeks old tomorrow. About 75%-80% of my driving
is highway, yet I am only averaging about 22-23 mpg. I have been using 93 octane gas, so
this isn't the issue. I'm hoping that the mileage picks up as I accumulate more miles, as some
have said on this forum.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by xpditor42
Around town I get like 11 sometimes.

...that's what I mean by driving fast, if I drove like an old lady I'd get better gas mileage, but I don't, I drive fast, therefore gas mileage goes down. Your parents buy you the car, if so, that's cool, wish I had parents like that!

I don't drive like an old lady by any means, I do gun it if I can, on occasion anyway. But I don't ride the gas petal constantly flooring it and taking my foot off it because *THEN* you would get poor gas mileage as a result of poor driving.

And I paid the down payment of the car, parents picked up the rest.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:12 AM
10th Gear

Even so, I've been reading about cars with less than 500 miles getting MUCH better mileage than me. And moreso, I still have the check engine light and that, to me, reduces the value of the car because who is going to buy a car that is blatantly saying it has a problem with the engine? The whole argument with the lemon law (I did my research) is that the problem is either a) causing signifigant problems where the vehicle is hard to use or b) causing the value of the car to decrease. Right now, for me, its both. If they can fix it, the more power to them.
If your dealer is not acting responsibly in your opinion, then bring your car to another service facility. If there is not another service facility in your area, contact top management at your current shop and describe the ongoing problem you're experiencing and ask for resolution within 30 days or you will be forced to go to corporate. Don't talk about lemon-law stuff with them whereas they may continue to dismiss you as an overzealous 17 year old who doesn't know what he's talking about. Take it slow and treat them how would like to be treated.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:17 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine check & mileage

The fact the engine check light is on and he's getting lousy mileage are obviously related. If that light is on that means the engine computer is sensing a fault in the system.

The car is obviously running too rich, so that could be the mass airflow sensor or maybe an engine temp sensor, oxygen sensor in the exhaust or the computer itself is fubar.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Just my 2 cents. Be careful not to confuse lemon law issues. Certainly the check engine light being on qualifies for being a lemon law candidate. I do not think it is very easy to collect on it though and I wouldn't be counting on a new TL. After all, the car has been in the shop ONLY ONE TIME........LOL.

I do not know if poor mileage qualifies for the lemon law. I watched the MID computer on my car go from 26MPG down to 22MPG as I crawled in traffic on the BQE and LIE. Traffic on Long Island stinks...and that's putting it mildly.

The two situations are more than likely related and I am sure the dealer will get to the bottom of it shortly. Oh, and GF, your pics are awesome!

H
Old 06-16-2004, 01:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my MIL came on this weekend and my mileage when thru the floor.. 155miles with less than 1/4 tank left.. talked to my roomy (ASE certified mechanic) and if the MIL is on because of any emissions issues, the car will lock in an "rich" condition which is heavy fuel usage to protect the engine. Very easily explains the mileage.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:49 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I was getting 15 - 16MPG with 70% city and 30% highway per the MID, and trying my best to conserve, but they were short trips, and Acura was not surprised at the numbers.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:01 PM
4th Gear

Go right to corporate

I went through a Lemon Law case a few years back and it is not as easy as it seems. At this point you should contact Acura corporate. It is rediculous to me that the dealer can't fix this as it sounds like a serious issue. The light is on because there is something wrong and by now they should have been able to fix it!! It doesn't matter how young you are, you own the car and they are obligated to treat you like a car owner. Call corporate and see how fast the dealer's attitude changes.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:19 PM

I got the car back today and the light is off. I am still skeptical because overnight the light does tend to go off until the car has been driven a bit. I didn't see much of an improvement in gas mileage but I really wasn't testing it. I'll test the car this weekend to see if the light is off for good and the mileage improved.