3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base w/NAV vs. Type - S ??? bang for buck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
Base w/NAV vs. Type - S ??? bang for buck?

I have test driven both. But not on the same day.

I test drove a 2007 TL-S. it had about 30k miles.

I then test drove a 2008 base w/nav. It had only 11k miles.

I test drove them about a week apart from one another. Knowing there is a big hp difference between the two, I was expecting to notice a BIG difference in power - but honestly, I can't say I noticed it. Albeit, I wasn't test driving the cars on the Nurburgring...

My test drive last night was at modest speeds, and I only got on the gas a few times, but did run it up in the rpms.

The base model felt quite poweful....not like the POntiac G8 I test drove or anything...but it was more than enough for my needs.

The base model I drove also seemed pretty firmly sprung. It wasn't as stiff/bouncy as a true sports car, but it was NOTHING like my parent's RL...not floaty at all. it rode firm and felt very sporty and the steering was really tight.

I am going to go back and test drive another type S and maybe try to do it back to back at a dealer that has each...

but i'm curious - is it just me, or did any of you feel like the "perforamnce" edge between a base and type S was really actually kind of small or is it quite a lot? is the power difference mostly all high rpm so that I need to be in VTEC to really feel/notice it? or is the low rpm torque different too?

the ride in the base 3G TL i drove felt pretty firm, actually firmer than I was expecting it to feel. I've tesdt driven quite a few Acurass lately...even the new 09 TSX and the 09 TL. the 3G base TL that I drove last night was CLEARLY firmer than the new TSX and the new TL base, in my opinion. it rode firm, had a nice stiff feel to it, very connected to the road. the 09 base TL I drove felt more floaty/disconnected, more like my parents 07 RL.. the new 09 TSX while somewhat stiff/firm riding, has a floaty/disconnectedf feel to it...

so essentially, I was impressed iwth the level of sportiness form the base 3G TLw/nav...and am wondering if I'd be better served to look fo ra lower mileage clean 07/08 base vs a 07/08 TL-S.... is the performance edge that mch? i've got to go drive an S again...
Old 07-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i didnt really notice much of a difference between the two hp wise, until i had a standard tl for a loaner for a day or two, then got back into my type s, and then i was like wow, what a difference...however, in you case, i would take the 11k mile car over the 30k car....unless you can find a type s with 11k, then i would spend the extra money and get the type s....

the types s is a stiffer ride then the standard, and a few other odds and ends about the type s that add to the coolness factor....
Old 07-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
The HP difference I don't think is that big a deal. And if your getting the base w/navi it should meet your needs nicely. Yea, the Type-S does have every bell and whistle but the base w/navi is nothing to sneeze at either. Both are great models.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
depends what u are looking for

If u are looking for performance and plan to mod your TL in the future, I would get the type-s.

If your looking for a TL to get in as a daily driver, then I would settle for the base with lower mileage.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,986 Likes on 14,496 Posts
I think with all the minor upgrades that come with the type S...including wheels, and blacked out headlights and exhause etc...I wouldn't let 20K miles sway you from the better of two cars. If I didn't get the killer deal I did...I would have been all over a type S. Nav can be bought later...or get a tom tom...good luck trying to make a base into a type S. That's my advice.

GL.

J.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
type-s because it's less common and 20k miles at this stage in the car doesn't mean much to me.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
thanks guys.

essentially at ht e27-28k price point, I'm looking at a 2007 TL-S with 20-30k miles

OR

a 2008 TL w/nav with 10k miles.

i'll go test drive few o fth e07 TL-S and see if I think it drives "better" enough to justify the extra cost.

FYI - this is a DD for me. I have an 07 MDX that my wife drives - that is our main family car, but it's a lease and we don't want to go way way over miles. I just sold my DD and am currently driving my weekend car to/from work. I have a 2000 boxster as a "toy". so since I do have a fun/sporty weekend car I don't have to have the "extra" oompph of a Type S , but of course it would nice to have it!

my wife and kids will be in the TL on family trips when we opt to take the TL instead of the MDX - so one consideration is ride quality. whatever i get - it's NOT being modded. PERIOD. I mean, I'll tint it.... but the liklihood of doing springs ora RSB is low...I might do a RSB if I got one cheap/used...but anythign that would make the ride harsh/crash is out. I need something that I can put the wife/kids in and have a nice ride. the Type S ride is firmer than the base...bordering on slightly too firm possibly... (according to my wife)... my boxster has upgraded sport suspension and you feel every nook/cranny of the road...that is for me to tear up the twisties...so I don;'t necessarily have to have the ultrimate sports sedan Acura for my DD....unless I get a smokin deal...

FYI - the 08 CPO I drove last night was a loaner car that hte dealer had on their lot...so not sure if that menas it has 10,000 HARD miles b/c most people drive it like a rental and flog the crap out of it.... maybe something to avoid??
Old 07-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
get the type s ... if u dont u'll regret it
Old 07-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honestly........If u are going to pay about the same price..Id definately get the type-s just because it is the better car. 20k mile diffrence isnt too much considering both are under 30k miles.

As for ride quality..yes the type-s is firmer..but I can tell u this...LONG DRIVES ARE COMFORTABLE in the type-s. The suspension might seem a little firm at first, but u will get use to it. The wife will get use to it trust me and the kids are ganna love the back up cam!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
It depends on how much you're going to mod the car. If you're going to add a lot of Type S stuff, you might just consider getting the Type S. Hey, these are Honda's-you can drive them forever. If you keep your cars for a long time, maybe the mileage isn't so important.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 500 Likes on 278 Posts
I drove twice from Tampa to Atlanta with my typeS and it was a very comfortable ride. It's interesting that you didn't notice much of a difference between the base and the S. I drove them 2 days appart and I didn't like the base ride. It was too soft, I was dissapointed, my friend has an 05 aspec and I didn't think the difference would be that obvious.
I also wasn't a big fan of the blue interior of the base, the additional exterior and interior cosmetic changes also were worth the extra dough to me. I also wanted a 6spd but that won't matter in your situation.
The last one point is more superficial but there are very few typeS in my area however the base TL is everywhere.
To sum it up I am 95% sure that if Acura didn't offer a TypeS in 08 I wouldn't have replaced my 2001 Acura CL-S with the car I have now. My money would have gone to BMW for a 335i.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
I have owned both back to back. First was a 07 base with nav. I enjoyed the car but I found myself doing mods to the car to make it look like a type S. I then stumbled upon a local KBP TL-S and test drove it. At first I thought the same thing the S didnt feel toooo much faster. Either way I loved it and ended up trading up to the 07 TL-S. After owning it now and being able to really get on it I can tell the car is for sure faster. I cant get the tires to hook at all at anything below 25mph in the S. In my base I dont remember EVER being able to spin the tires. At highway speed the S pulls much better to.
The steering in the S is much firmer and requires more effort. The ride is stiffer but thats expected as it handles better.

Put it this way, if deep down you really want the Type S just get it as I can gauruntee you will be wishing you had it every single day. I did until I just ended up getting one.

James
Old 07-09-2009, 10:18 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
I really like the blue gauges and carbon fiber touches of the base and I got a 6 speed w/navi. To me all the power of the Type-s, with interior of the base was the way to go.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 500 Likes on 278 Posts
Originally Posted by Hi speed
I really like the blue gauges and carbon fiber touches of the base and I got a 6 speed w/navi. To me all the power of the Type-s, with interior of the base was the way to go.
To each their own with interior color preferences, there was a thread that turned into a base vs type S (blue / red) color and I was surprised how many people prefer the blue. Also there are quite a few that prefer the 04-06 gauges over the 07-08.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by Hi speed
All the power of the Type S? 6spd por not the base has 258 HP or whatever.

I had a 07 base and the blue gauges are cool but the all red totally grew on me on when I got my 07 Type S. Looks amazing!!

Also, the base cars dont have the carbon fiber touches the Type S does. Base has the wood trim.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:35 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
All the power of the Type S? 6spd por not the base has 258 HP or whatever
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28

I had a 07 base and the blue gauges are cool but the all red totally grew on me on when I got my 07 Type S. Looks amazing!!

Also, the base cars dont have the carbon fiber touches the Type S does. Base has the wood trim.

1. The 6 speed base is as fast or faster than the AT Type-s and marginaly slower than the 6 speed Type-s. 258-286 is 28 HP and 300 cc of displacment. The real selling point IMO was the 6 speed no longer being offered in the base.

2. The base 6 speed also came with the carbon fiber interior, the wood was auto only.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I think since your not going to mod the car and really want it as a family car, just get the base with the lower mileage. You can always add a back up cam later if you want for a pretty cheap price. Anyway, good luck with your decision.