Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base to Type-S!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 12:42 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Base to Type-S!

Hey fellow Aziners! So I've been a lurker for the past 2 years, after picking up an '07 base TL. Hardly done any mods, but have still enjoyed driving 50,000 miles in what I think is one of the nicest sport sedans under $30K. My first car was a WDP '01 CL Type-S, which I owned for all of 6 months. However, as I entered the business world, working in the insurance industry as well as going to school, I decided to get a 4-door and found the TL to fit my needs (spacious, decent gas mileage), yet still pretty fun to drive. So I picked up my second WDP. Have really enjoyed owning it the past couple of years, but now I want a bit of an upgrade without going beyond my budget. The same dealership I bought the base from has an '07 NBP Type-S with 35,000 fewer miles, so I thought, hey, let's stay in the Acura family for a third time. I'm well aware of the extra goodies (+28hp/+23tq, quad exhausts, navi, 2-tone seats, more aggressive styling, etc.) but my question is, how much different is the drive, as it has a firmer suspension, more sportier, and stiffer steering? The '07-'08 base are supposed to have the softest suspension and smoothest drive of the 3rd gen. I have not yet had a chance to test drive it, as they just took it in on trade, and are inspecting, detailing, and getting it back to showroom condition. Also, I've heard that, though certainly improved, the performance of the TL-S 5AT is hardly noticeable from the base 5AT. My final concern is regarding the Brembos. I have heard that they don't last long, accumulate a lot of brake dust, and are expensive to replace. Maintenance on the base has been pretty reasonable for me. I'd really appreciate it if some TL-S owners can chime in on these concerns...

P.S. - This is the best car forum!
Old 03-20-2012, 01:40 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by AK1991
Hey fellow Aziners! So I've been a lurker for the past 2 years, after picking up an '07 base TL. Hardly done any mods, but have still enjoyed driving 50,000 miles in what I think is one of the nicest sport sedans under $30K. My first car was a WDP '01 CL Type-S, which I owned for all of 6 months. However, as I entered the business world, working in the insurance industry as well as going to school, I decided to get a 4-door and found the TL to fit my needs (spacious, decent gas mileage), yet still pretty fun to drive. So I picked up my second WDP. Have really enjoyed owning it the past couple of years, but now I want a bit of an upgrade without going beyond my budget. The same dealership I bought the base from has an '07 NBP Type-S with 35,000 fewer miles, so I thought, hey, let's stay in the Acura family for a third time. I'm well aware of the extra goodies (+28hp/+23tq, quad exhausts, navi, 2-tone seats, more aggressive styling, etc.) but my question is, how much different is the drive, as it has a firmer suspension, more sportier, and stiffer steering? The '07-'08 base are supposed to have the softest suspension and smoothest drive of the 3rd gen. I have not yet had a chance to test drive it, as they just took it in on trade, and are inspecting, detailing, and getting it back to showroom condition. Also, I've heard that, though certainly improved, the performance of the TL-S 5AT is hardly noticeable from the base 5AT. My final concern is regarding the Brembos. I have heard that they don't last long, accumulate a lot of brake dust, and are expensive to replace. Maintenance on the base has been pretty reasonable for me. I'd really appreciate it if some TL-S owners can chime in on these concerns...

P.S. - This is the best car forum!
Had my 08 Type-S for a little over a year now and they put new brakes on before I bought it, still going strong, although lately I feel like the pads might be starting to wear out..pads aren't that expensive..well, depending on what you get
The following users liked this post:
AK1991 (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 07:43 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
the factory brembo pads DUST and do wear out, but thats expected as its a PERFORMANCE pad.
if you switch to a ceramic pad, it will dust less and I believe last longer.

we cannot answer how the car drives compared to your base. for that, you will need to test drive.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Glad you joined AK-throw up some pictures when you can.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:39 PM
MV612

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I got tired of cleaning the rims and got some stoptech ceramic pad. less brake dust , less time cleaning more time enjoying the car